ADVERTISEMENT

Jackie Giloon

Heard today he passed away. Remember him during the day. Good ball handler.
Sorry to read that. Yes he was a very good ball handler. And I remember him when the basketball team was housed @ the Bates dorm. I worked the desk there while in grad school. He died too young. May he RIP.

Reactions: atl-cock
Great ball handler. Best I ever saw at Carolina. Unfortunately McGuire wasn't on board with his style of play.
First I've heard of his passing. RIP.

Sad to hear. He fashioned his game after Pete Maravich, and was described in the 1976-77 media guide as a "flashy passer and the Gamecocks' top playmaker". Guessing McGuire didn't care for the "flashy" part, but respected him as a playmaker. Wish I could have seen him play. He was only 65 years old.
RIP.

Reactions: PC31 and Jbouton2
Sad to hear. He fashioned his game after Pete Maravich, and was described in the 1976-77 media guide as a "flashy passer and the Gamecocks' top playmaker". Guessing McGuire didn't care for the "flashy" part, but respected him as a playmaker. Wish I could have seen him play. He was only 65 years old.
RIP.
Would have been 65 I believe.

In the mid 70s I often played in the 4on4 pick up games at the Athletic center. A lot of BB players, both current & grads, would drop by & rotate in for a few games. I got in on occasion & played against some legendary players. Most were good guys, some were definitely not. Gilloon was good natured, & with his ball handling skills, toyed with those guarding him. I was an easy target, and got smoked often. All we could do was laugh, as some of his moves & passes were out of this world. It was fascinating. Sorry to hear of his passing. Godspeed.

Word is being passed around by some of his former teammates, like Jim Graziano, that he was in a nursing home in NY when he died from an extended illness. He had no family and was a pauper. They are going to set up a GoFundMe page to raise money to pay for his funeral. That would be a worthwhile thing to kick in $100 or so. I buried my sister in November and a very simple burial was almost $10,000. You could probably cut that in half by doing away with a few things. A simple headstone is $2500 at Elmwood.

Great ball handler. Best I ever saw at Carolina. Unfortunately McGuire wasn't on board with his style of play.
First I've heard of his passing. RIP.
Yes, hate to see the younger ones gone.

Trust me, Frank knew what he was after…………notwithstanding Jackie’s driving abilities…….oh & I don’t mean on the court.
Folks @ Bates were alerted when he got behind the wheel.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this. Prayers to his family. His was one of the first names I remembered from Coach McGuire's teams.....

Reactions: nikolas22
Word is being passed around by some of his former teammates, like Jim Graziano, that he was in a nursing home in NY when he died from an extended illness. He had no family and was a pauper. They are going to set up a GoFundMe page to raise money to pay for his funeral. That would be a worthwhile thing to kick in $100 or so. I buried my sister in November and a very simple burial was almost $10,000. You could probably cut that in half by doing away with a few things. A simple headstone is $2500 at Elmwood.
One can eliminate embalming and a fancy coffin for starters.....

One can eliminate embalming and a fancy coffin for starters.....
Even with a cremation it will still cost several thousand dollars. Add the cost of a gravesite, a simple headstone or marker and then the opening and closing and it is a chunk of change. I guess his ashes could be put in an urn and kept by someone or spread out in Central Park or Hudson Bay.

Even with a cremation it will still cost several thousand dollars. Add the cost of a gravesite, a simple headstone or marker and then the opening and closing and it is a chunk of change. I guess his ashes could be put in an urn and kept by someone or spread out in Central Park or Hudson Bay.
I didn't mention cremation.....merely burying without embalming beforehand. Wasn't even thinking about the cost of a plot - unless there's already an empty family plot available.

In the mid 70s I often played in the 4on4 pick up games at the Athletic center. A lot of BB players, both current & grads, would drop by & rotate in for a few games. I got in on occasion & played against some legendary players. Most were good guys, some were definitely not. Gilloon was good natured, & with his ball handling skills, toyed with those guarding him. I was an easy target, and got smoked often. All we could do was laugh, as some of his moves & passes were out of this world. It was fascinating. Sorry to hear of his passing. Godspeed.
I went up against him as well. We held our own against him and a couple of football players but he did break my ankles on a couple of occasions. So sad if he was destitute and lonely as mentioned in an earlier post. RIP Jackie....

I hate to hear this. I played in some 4 on 4 games with him, I learned that when he drove to the basket all you had to do was find an empty piece of floor and keep your hans up. The ball would magically appear in your hands for an easy shot. He was a good guy. I do remember seeing him and Tom Boswell wearing their suits walking to the Coliseum one night for a game. They were sharing a joint!

Fond memories of the way he protected the ball with that stiff arm while dribbling.

I remember seeing him walk to the coliseum for practice with a beer can in his hand.

Fond memories of the way he protected the ball with that stiff arm while dribbling.

I remember seeing him walk to the coliseum for practice with a beer can in his hand.

Unfortunately, poor judgement cost him dearly. Tremendous talent who I wish had come in earlier.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Even with a cremation it will still cost several thousand dollars. Add the cost of a gravesite, a simple headstone or marker and then the opening and closing and it is a chunk of change.
I read, not long ago, that cremation is the growing trend.

Floppy-haired and possessed of great ball-handling and passing skills. He most resembled Jack Thompson among Carolina greats. Sorry he came to such a tough end. May God rest his soul.

Direct cremation can still be obtained for under $2,000. I know of a funeral home that will do direct cremation for $1695. Some cremation societies can get it done for less than that.

Funeral home costs include pickup of the body from the place of death, transportation to the place of cremation (there is a short waiting period for cremation), procurement of all the necessary paperwork (including permissions to cremate and a certain number of death certificate copies) and a basic container for the cremains.

Once you add memorial services through a funeral home and burial in a cemetery plot, especially if one does not already own a plot, then costs rise significantly. Many families now purchase the basic cremation package, purchase a suitable permanent container themselves that might not be a regular cremation urn, and handle memorial services personally, if at all.

Direct cremation can still be obtained for under $2,000. I know of a funeral home that will do direct cremation for $1695. Some cremation societies can get it done for less than that.

Funeral home costs include pickup of the body from the place of death, transportation to the place of cremation (there is a short waiting period for cremation), procurement of all the necessary paperwork (including permissions to cremate and a certain number of death certificate copies) and a basic container for the cremains.

Once you add memorial services through a funeral home and burial in a cemetery plot, especially if one does not already own a plot, then costs rise significantly. Many families now purchase the basic cremation package, purchase a suitable permanent container themselves that might not be a regular cremation urn, and handle memorial services personally, if at all.
I don't know for certain, but I strongly suspect cremation and burial costs in New York are significantly higher than in SC.

My sister died recently here in Columbia. A simple cremation, funeral and burial in our family plot at Elmwood, with a basic headstone, was a little north of $8,000. Nothing fancy at all - no limos and only a graveside service. Had we simply cremated her and spread her ashes the cost would have been a lot less. Probably $2,000-$3,000. I'd have to look at the invoices to be certain. Had we used a different Funeral Home then I can see getting it done for $2,000 total.

I don't know for certain, but I strongly suspect cremation and burial costs in New York are significantly higher than in SC....
Prices certainly vary by region, but obviously costs are relative according to what a family purchases. You can cremate a person, conduct a full service using a funeral home's facilities or having them direct a service off-site, haul the cremains in a hearse to a funeral site and/or burial site that has to be purchased, pay to have the little grave opened and closed, and still spend several thousand dollars. Or, a family can take the minimalist approach and get out relatively inexpensively.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT