ADVERTISEMENT

just brought 2my attention that 1/2 of posters here don't know what a "long distance call" is...

When I first started practicing law we had to enter a client matter code after a long distance call to make sure the cost of the call got billed to the right file.

Reactions: DrMickey
WATS Line. "Wide Area Telephone Service". That's how my folks & I in G'ville got to talk to my bro' at his office in Cola. w/o Long Distance charges!!

I remember party lines and rotary dials and all that. What I dont remember is when 803 stopped being the area code for the whole state, or was that just my imagination?

Craziest thing at my house was where I lived in Cash(between Society Hill and Cheraw). I could call Florence 35 minutes away and it was a local call but it was long distance to call Cheraw and it was 8 minutes away. Also we lived on the line between local and long distance. In our house and front yard was a local call but if you had a phone in our back yard it would have been long distance. Crazy. :confused:

How about a collect call- remember that? You could refuse it too! And how about talking on a pay phone and the operator coming on the line to tell you to throw more change in the phone,
Or passing short messages through collect calls as your name. They had to start putting live operators on the line to keep it from happening. Ended up costing more to employ the operators than they lost on the collect calls.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT