ADVERTISEMENT

Just got back from Little John....

Mar 14, 2007
Just got back from the game, thought id share a few basic observations / thoughts

--Live in Greenville, didnt think we would win but thought it could be a decent game I was wrong. Figured why not soak in more punishment on top of football. (went as planned)
--Little John is really nice after the renovations, very top notch facility. It was pretty excellent
--Wasn't full, I know most of the students are gone but still a 9,000 seat arena of an ACC team thats probably going to be ranked after this win. (Coaches were wrong to complain about press for the game, the fans dont even care and the product on the court was terrible)
--Absolutely dead atmosphere until midway through the second half. Loudest moments were for the boo's I was really confused on some of them. They seemed to want a charge every single time we drove the basketball.
--One of the strangest things IMO, someone else can correct me here but I looked around and estimated there might have been no more than 75 Gamecock fans in the entire arena (if that). Not sure I have ever seen a game with such an absolute tiny turn out for the other team in any venue. I know its not exactly an ideal time to travel to Clemson for a basketball game but good grief.....
--Some of the worst basketball I think I have ever seen. Horrendous, difficult to watch etc...
--How do we not even have a single player who can shoot a jump shot?
--Why were our best players sitting on the bench in the second half with the game on the line?

--Almost hard to imagine this program made it to the Final 4. 30 points late in the second half.
--At the end the chant was "just like football" and they were correct. It is just like football.
--No issues with the fans around us was a good time outside of the outcome and really enjoyed the venue. I think they were confused as to why the tiny amount of us were there and I have to agree with them. What was I doing there, guess I thought we had a chance to compete.

--Clemson just takes athletics and the rivalry more seriously from top to bottom than we do. Thats obvious attending the games in all 3 major sports. They prove it with the score.

Not really sure what the answer is but I dont see it coming anytime soon in any of the 3 sports. There just is not the commitment. Its not the same.

I was wondering why our best players were sitting on the bench too. Didn't think any were in foul trouble, I know no one had fouled out for us.

Reactions: idohvac2
Just got back from the game, thought id share a few basic observations / thoughts

--Live in Greenville, didnt think we would win but thought it could be a decent game I was wrong. Figured why not soak in more punishment on top of football. (went as planned)
--Little John is really nice after the renovations, very top notch facility. It was pretty excellent
--Wasn't full, I know most of the students are gone but still a 9,000 seat arena of an ACC team thats probably going to be ranked after this win. (Coaches were wrong to complain about press for the game, the fans dont even care and the product on the court was terrible)
--Absolutely dead atmosphere until midway through the second half. Loudest moments were for the boo's I was really confused on some of them. They seemed to want a charge every single time we drove the basketball.
--One of the strangest things IMO, someone else can correct me here but I looked around and estimated there might have been no more than 75 Gamecock fans in the entire arena (if that). Not sure I have ever seen a game with such an absolute tiny turn out for the other team in any venue. I know its not exactly an ideal time to travel to Clemson for a basketball game but good grief.....
--Some of the worst basketball I think I have ever seen. Horrendous, difficult to watch etc...
--Why were our best players sitting on the bench in the second half with the game on the line?

--Almost hard to imagine this program made it to the Final 4. 30 points late in the second half.
--At the end the chant was "just like football" and they were correct. It is just like football.
--No issues with the fans around us was a good time outside of the outcome and really enjoyed the venue. I think they were confused as to why the tiny amount of us were there and I have to agree with them. What was I doing there, guess I thought we had a chance to compete.

--Clemson just takes athletics and the rivalry more seriously from top to bottom than we do. Thats obvious attending the games in all 3 major sports. They prove it with the score.

Not really sure what the answer is but I dont see it coming anytime soon in any of the 3 sports. There just is not the commitment. Its not the same.
Sad, but couldn't be more true.

Reactions: SmokinStokesBBQ

First, they don't take the rivalry more serious. It goes through stages. They felt the same way when we beat them 5 in a row at football, did fine against them at basketball. Around .500 during that time and owned them at baseball for 7-8 years. Im not looking it up , but we went a stretch where we had won 17-18 of the 24 baseball games from. 2008- 2015. We have won the head to head in all sports 7 of the past 8 years. So that's non sense. If clempson is ranked in basketball after beating us that's laughable and want last. They beat us and a down Ohio State team. Also, a Florida team that had lost 4 times falling from the the tip 7 to barely in the poll. They aren't very good. Just better than us this year. They will be fortunate to go 7-11 in the ACC. Sorry, but a 8500 seat arena in the acc is embarrassing. They aren't duke. Just a few facts.

Last edited:
Reactions: milehighcock93
First, they don't take the rivalry more serious. It goes through stages. They felt the same way when we beat them 5 in a row at football, did fine against them at basketball. Around .500 during that time and owned them at baseball for 7-8 years. Im not looking it up , but we went a stretch where we had won 17-18 of the 24 baseball games from. 2008- 2015. We have won the head to head in all sports 7 of the past 8 years. So that's non sense. If clempson is ranked in basketball after beating us that's laughable and want last. They beat us and a down Ohio State team. Also, a Florida team that had lost 4 times falling from the the tip 7 to barely in the poll. They aren't very good. Just better than us this year. They will be fortunate to go 7-11 in the ACC. Sorry, but a 8500 seat arena in the acc is embarrassing. They aren't duke. Just a few facts.
Truth, they're just better than us right now, it happens, but like you said things go in cycles!

I heard Ray Tanner interviewed yesterday. Seems that he is more interested in winning the "Palmetto Bowl" where, even after last night , we hold a slight lead. That is his benchmark.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield

Fix it in recruiting unfortunately that is a year away....

Reactions: Tiger71
What would you expect an AD to say?
I heard Ray Tanner interviewed yesterday. Seems that he is more interested in winning the "Palmetto Bowl" where, even after last night , we hold a slight lead. That is his benchmark.

Reactions: vacock#
I get Frank’s frustration with the fans from early in the season, I do, but very few are going to pay for this product. I may be way off, but going after them is the beginning of losing the fans, the team.....the program. That’s the result of a surprise Final 4 appearance, like it or not.

Reactions: 67gamecock
It’s amazing we are winning the Palmetto Bowl, but seem to be getting killed in every sport, save Women’s Hoops. I said it before and I’ll say it again, HOF coach, best USC coach ever, even better man, but doesn’t seem to have a care in the world regarding the AD

USC wins Palmetto Bowl because of womens sports. Count the same as mens. Tigers would rather lose Palmetto Bowl but win football, basketball, baseball.

We have won the head to head in all sports 7 of the past 8 years
Please explain I seem to be missing something because I know we lost the last 4 in football unless you are talking about the palmetto bowl. It's hard for me to be happy with that while getting drug in the sports that count.

It’s amazing we are winning the Palmetto Bowl, but seem to be getting killed in every sport, save Women’s Hoops. I said it before and I’ll say it again, HOF coach, best USC coach ever, even better man, but doesn’t seem to have a care in the world regarding the AD

The only men's sport USC won in the palmetto series last year was Men's Tennis. The other wins that pushed USC to an 8-7 win were Women's soccer, volleyball, golf, diving, basketball, and tennis. Combine that with the food drive and highest team GPA and USC won the series last year.

The only men's sport USC won in the palmetto series last year was Men's Tennis. The other wins that pushed USC to an 8-7 win were Women's soccer, volleyball, golf, diving, basketball, and tennis. Combine that with the food drive and highest team GPA and USC won the series last year.

What about Bass Fishin’? Or do the taters not field a team in that sport? Or should that be “water” a team?

In the upstate we have to listen to a Clemson radio station to hear any gamecock info. that shows how serious we are about sports.

I was listening to the Clemson broadcast on the radio on Sirius and the fans started Chanting "Little Brother" about midway through the second half. tough to hear but true. They killed us in all three major sports for the second straight year. Stat from the radio was that Clemson has won 7 of the last 11 in the series.

Reactions: cooper1199
We've got their number in WBB, Equestrian, Bass Fishing, and Sand Volleyball (if they have a team).

Palmetto series? What a joke, our women pulling the weight for us. Embarrassing.

We need to forget about the Palmetto Bowl and start winning the REAL contests in football sand MBB or get some leadership in here that can get it done. It's not getting done now and the source of this mess is AT THE TOP!!!

The "best" players were on the bench because Frank was tired of watching them go through the motions and decided some of the other guys might show a little oomph.

Reactions: vacock#
They are a painful bunch to watch. Knew this year would be a bit of a struggle even if PJ came back. Then he made the unwise decision to go pro. Bet he spends a lot of time on those buses in the G league wishing he could have that decision back. Going to be a long year. Doubt the NIT is even within reach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT