ADVERTISEMENT

Kingston and Lee

Jbouton2

Jun 27, 2020
Who will go first? I think both get another year.
Hearing Monte has a good class coming in per D1 baseball. Kingston, not so much as it relates to other SEC schools.
Based on that, suppose Kingston gets the short straw.

haha yeah right. Remember who you're talking too? Ole Ray Ray has never seen a mediocre coach who doesn't deserve a contract extension.

• Haha
Reactions: bigplay86
Trust me, there are plenty of Clemson folks that want Monte out.

One would think Ray has to pull the trigger on Kingston. But have in very recent years keep both a football, and a basketball, coach around after everyone knew they weren't going to succeed and apathy had set in with the fan base. So one never knows. And baseball isn't near the impact sport that football and basketball are. We will see

I don't think this year's results will get him fired. It's what we have in the hopper for next year that will decide his fate. Tanner will figure it out and make the call.

Kingston doesn’t get fired because he has three years left on his contract. Plus firing 2 of the big 3 coaches in one year (and one year removed from firing the other) is an open admission to not being qualified to hire coaches. In this aspect, Ray Tanner has been an utter disaster as AD. As noted here he’s done some great things in the fund raising, politics and building up the smaller sports. However he can’t even make a successful hire in the sport he is highly regarded as one of the best coaches in.

Well, I thought Tanner made a questionable hire in football but it's looking good so far. We should have a good team next year but graduation and draft is going to crush after that. Just like what happened to Kingston last offseason. I saw a team trying rebuild this year in the midst of losing our ace pitcher. If all pitchers stay then we have an excellent pitching staff next year but I don't think we have the bats. Hopefully we find some in juco and transfer portal. If we do then we should see a big turn around. Lots of ifs and buts. If Kingston is our guy then he will get it done. If we don't make postseason next year then he's gone. I'll be pulling for the team until then. Just my perspective.

I'll be pulling for the guys next year and will probably watch nearly every game because I'm a fan of the guys that choose to be here. But I'll do so with no expectations and no confidence we will get any better. None.
First, I am no fan of the way Kingston plays the game strategy wise. It would be fine if his way worked, it hasnt in five years. In fact sometimes it's hard to figure out if there is any system to it at all.
Secondly, I dont believe he is capable of producing a compact swing which is what these guys need to hit a variety of pitches and play at the next level imo. I've said it before and I'll say it again, our guys deserve better and not two years from now. But I guess that's secondary at best in Ray Tanner's eyes.
And finally, Kingston tends to recruit guys to fit a "system" that continues to fail... his system, a system of big swingers, which insures inconsistency. Every freshman on the team is a big swinger which tells me he is set in his ways. Hard to turn a corner when you're doing and building the same way you have been. Guess you could always hope for different results. Hard to see how tho.

Last edited:
Just checked the rosters of every Cape Cod League team... Not a single Gamecock player this year.

Well, I thought Tanner made a questionable hire in football but it's looking good so far. We should have a good team next year but graduation and draft is going to crush after that. Just like what happened to Kingston last offseason. I saw a team trying rebuild this year in the midst of losing our ace pitcher. If all pitchers stay then we have an excellent pitching staff next year but I don't think we have the bats. Hopefully we find some in juco and transfer portal. If we do then we should see a big turn around. Lots of ifs and buts. If Kingston is our guy then he will get it done. If we don't make postseason next year then he's gone. I'll be pulling for the team until then. Just my perspective.
Kingston doesn't deserve another season. Hasn't he drained enough life out of the program already? No different than giving Martin another year or Muschamp when they didn't deserve it only to set the programs back even further. Thanks for nothing, Ray.

In summary, wait til next year.

Kingston doesn't deserve another season. Hasn't he drained enough life out of the program already? No different than giving Martin another year or Muschamp when they didn't deserve it only to set the programs back even further. Thanks for nothing, Ray.

Ok, what do you see? I saw a team get gutted last offseason,, including coaches. Did that not happen? Do you think that doesn't matter at all? Do you think we should of magically reloaded and gone to postseason anyway? I think I'm being pragmatic. What am I missing?

Ok, what do you see? I saw a team get gutted last offseason,, including coaches. Did that not happen? Do you think that doesn't matter at all? Do you think we should of magically reloaded and gone to postseason anyway? I think I'm being pragmatic. What am I missing?
I think South Carolina fought and that is really all you can ask these kids to do. I was disappointed with series against Missouri and getting swept by Auburn and the game two meltdown at Texas A&M, but also I take in to account that South Carolina really only trusted six pitchers during the conference series matches and I think you need more pitchers than that.

The mid week games was concerning because I thought the offense should compensate for the pitching woes in which that did not happen frequently.

South Carolina competed this season and was up and down but plays in a fierce conference and finished two games below .500 which is not horrible.

I think with the transfer portal and with players leaving early for professional opportunities. there is always a risk you will lose multiple key players each season.

Tanner made the worst blooper(s) in college football history when hiring Muschamp. I was optimistic back then. But I couldn’t (and still can’t) wrap my head around why he would hire a recently fired Coach from Florida… Who’s final straw with FL was because his team lost to a bad and stagnant Spurrier Gamecock team. And to finish it- UofSC had to pay Muschamp one of the largest buyouts in College football history! He is probably good at certain parts of his job. But not overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
I think South Carolina fought and that is really all you can ask these kids to do. I was disappointed with series against Missouri and getting swept by Auburn and the game two meltdown at Texas A&M, but also I take in to account that South Carolina really only trusted six pitchers during the conference series matches and I think you need more pitchers than that.

The mid week games was concerning because I thought the offense should compensate for the pitching woes in which that did not happen frequently.

South Carolina competed this season and was up and down but plays in a fierce conference and finished two games below .500 which is not horrible.

I think with the transfer portal and with players leaving early for professional opportunities. there is always a risk you will lose multiple key players each season.

Our kids fight. They are just not the right kids.
Recruiting changed around 2010.... we didnt.

And that us the problem. In reality, football and men's basketball, are really the only two sports that make a dent with the masses. The rest really doesn't matter.
So the team with the most national championships in school history doesn't matter because they're women? Is that what you're saying?

I saw a coach in like his 7th season as head baseball coach at Carolina barely sneak into the SEC tournament and lose its first game to end the season with a pathetic record. He's had plenty of time to build a competitive program that should be making the NCAA's every year and finishing among the top teams in the SEC. Instead he and some fans are full of excuses. Is this a 10 year rebuilding plan? Or more like 10 year dismantling plan-lowering expectations year after year.

Last edited:
So the team with the most national championships in school history doesn't matter because they're women? Is that what you're saying?

No. Has nothing to do with gender. But a women's basketball title, or a baseball title, has about as much impact to the masses as a 1AA football title. About the only sports fans who can remember who won those titles a year ago, 98% are fans of that school. Same with soccer, volleyball, softball, etc. Football and men's basketball draw the eyes, and pay the bills. Nothing else.

He’s made it twice out of four possible seasons, as there was no NCAAs in 2020.
50 percent is sorry. He took over a program in solid shape-enough talent to get us to a super his first year. Kingston hasn't shown progression-more like regression. Kingston's issue is barely making the SEC tournament (should be a given) and missing NCAAs. Chad missed the NCAAs one time and got canned.

Last edited:
50 percent is sorry. He took over a program in solid shape-enough talent to get us to a super his first year. Kingston hasn't shown progression-more like regression. Kingston's issue is barely making the SEC tournament (should be a given) and missing NCAAs. Chad missed the NCAAs one time and got canned.
Bottom of the SEC in nearly all offensive categories given the time he has been here should not to be overlooked. Not sure why so many do. I keep hearing in response to that is we need better hitters. First, that's one silly excuse being he's responsible for who signs here. And second, if he has to replace guys he brings in with better guys because they arent hitting, it says they cant develop or maintain what they have. That's screwed up.

Reactions: sclawman77
Holbrook missed the NCAAs two of his five seasons, his second and his last. As for Kingston barely making the SEC Tournament, he’s made it all four years as a coach when there has been a Tournament. He did just get in it his second season as the 12th seed, unless you want to count this years 10th seed pairing. The other two years he was a 5th seed in 2018 and 7th in 2021.

Holbrook missed the NCAAs two of his five seasons, his second and his last. As for Kingston barely making the SEC Tournament, he’s made it all four years as a coach when there has been a Tournament. He did just get in it his second season as the 12th seed, unless you want to count this years 10th seed pairing. The other two years he was a 5th seed in 2018 and 7th in 2021.
Okay so Chad got canned for missing NCAA twice. So should Kingston then. Making the SEC tournament shouldn't be barometer for keeping job. My point is he barely snuck in twice which means we were at the very bottom of the barrel in the SEC. Nothing to brag about.

Okay so Chad got canned for missing NCAA twice. So should Kingston then. Making the SEC tournament shouldn't be barometer for keeping job. My point is he barely snuck in twice which means we were at the very bottom of the barrel in the SEC. Nothing to brag about.
Hey, you stated, “I saw a coach in like his 7th season,” & “Kingston's issue is barely making the SEC tournament (should be a given) and missing NCAAs.” I’m by no means pleased with where he’s at just pointing out the inaccuracies in your statements/arguments. Chad had five full seasons Kingston has not. If at the end of next year we’re in the same place, or forbid, worse I can see making a change.

Mark has 26 or more loses in 3 of the 5 years here. June Raines lost 26 his final year. Ray nor Chad had that many ever. If you listen to 90% of our games on the radio, you can tell we are terrible at fundamental baseball!!! There's no doubt injuries really hurt this team, but the careless defense, base running, etc can't be tolerated.
IMO, that was Chad's biggest issue as well. Ray made sure our players played ball fundamentally sound.

Hey, you stated, “I saw a coach in like his 7th season,” & “Kingston's issue is barely making the SEC tournament (should be a given) and missing NCAAs.” I’m by no means pleased with where he’s at just pointing out the inaccuracies in your statements/arguments. Chad had five full seasons Kingston has not. If at the end of next year we’re in the same place, or forbid, worse I can see making a change.
What was inaccurate about barely making the SEC? It's happened twice was my point and shouldn't happen this far into his job. I didn't say that was every season.

Kingston was one loss away from two losing seasons. The last coach that had two losing seasons was Joe Grugan, hired in 1957. This is where we are at now. Pre Bobby Richardson. Never would have thought we'd be here again.

Last edited:
Is Tanner trying to keep the schools baseball accolades specific to his coaching tenure? Not likely but it’s plausible.

Reactions: Cybercock
There were times on the field when we had 6 true freshman playing on the field. We had a massive youth movement this year. Braswell is going to be a very good one as is Becker.

Sanders. Becker.

To continue
...Sanders, Becker, Hall, Bosnic, and others I mean wuff!!! We are going to have a stout pitching staff next year. That area looks bright. I just don't see a replacement for Belk, Sightler, and Eyster at this point in time. This recruiting cycle is critical.

What was inaccurate about barely making the SEC? It's happened twice was my point and shouldn't happen this far into his job. I didn't say that was every season.
Your original statement, “Kingston's issue is barely making the SEC tournament (should be a given) and missing NCAAs,” implies every year. Not true. Unless you’re of the opinion that barely making it one year is grounds for dismissal. We were pretty solid in going into the last week of season this year, unlike 2019 when we had to win the last series of the year against Miss State to make it to the SEC Tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT