ADVERTISEMENT

Kingston officially fired

He needed to go but the candidates are all questionable.
I think Tanner should just give Monte a short 2-year contract and see what he can do.
Kingston was making $750K but he started at $525K. Give Monte $525K and see what changes he can make. Right now, Monte only make $240K so that jump would be big for him.

He needed to go but the candidates are all questionable.
I think Tanner should just give Monte a short 2-year contract and see what he can do.
Kingston was making $750K but he started at $525K. Give Monte $525K and see what changes he can make. Right now, Monte only make $240K so that jump would be big for him.

Unfortunately, the D1 Coaching Club has made things like this difficult.

Over the years, agents have done a good job of signaling to schools/recruits that unless a coach has a 4-to-6 year contract in place, it's a volatile situation and recruits should probably avoid it.

Quite ironic given coaches can be fired or leave at any moment in time and players can now hop around schools like rides at Disneyworld.

Please hire someone that will bunt with zero outs with runners on 1st and 2nd in a close game. Or a coach that can find a way to score a runner from third with zero outs.

Reactions: Robhawk29
We played 28 innings and led for only one of them in Raleigh.

We ratted .055 (1-18) with runners in scoring position

We Made 17 errors in the postseason (8 games) Lost 10 of their last 14.

Ice Cold.

Please hire someone that will bunt with zero outs with runners on 1st and 2nd in a close game. Or a coach that can find a way to score a runner from third with zero outs.
Yes the best teams of the last few years are the ones playing old school baseball. The ones able to manufacture runs when they need to. Where it all went wrong is when coaches thought they could reinvent the game. The game never needed it.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I agree with the above. Let Coach Lee have the reins for a couple years and see what happens.

You'll have to also agree for Top 30++ recruiting classes because that's what will be incoming.

Kingston wasn't the best in-game technician, but that was only a small fraction of the issue.

Overall talent on this team was clearly lacking and lack of Top 10/15 recruiting classes was the cause of that depth issue.

If you're going to go with Lee, give him the full contract and market the program around him (The Full Monte).

What's another $1-2mil among friends anyway?

Last edited:
Reactions: cockofdawn
You are not going to win a lot of games or go to college world series with a team BA of .274 and fielding % of 971. Too many strikeout and too many errors. You need a team BA of .290 or above and fielding % of high 980 if you plan to go to Omaha.

You are not going to win a lot of games or go to college world series with a team BA of .274 and fielding % of 971. Too many strikeout and too many errors. You need a team BA of .290 or above and fielding % of high 980 if you plan to go to Omaha.

Historically, most of our greatest success in baseball (and all other sports) has been proceeded by high quality recruiting classes. Under Kingston, those classes went from Top 5/10 to Top 20+.

NIL is a factor too. Reports have teams such as LSU and UT spending close to $10mil a year in baseball.

We should not have to settle for a coach that was fired by Clemson, sorry. This program is better than that. We should be able to go get a proven winner
Agree. Lee had talent at Clemson and couldn't get them to Omaha.

Agree. Lee had talent at Clemson and couldn't get them to Omaha.

Monte had told coaching friends in the high school ranks his problem at Clemson was not being able to get his pitching lined up. He had a few that got hurt, a few that didn't show up on campus and that was not able to be overcome.

I expect that experience was a good learning one.

He's a very good recruiter and extremely well thought of in recruiting circles.

Not saying he should be our coach, but I think he'd be a good choice.

Monte had told coaching friends in the high school ranks his problem at Clemson was not being able to get his pitching lined up. He had a few that got hurt, a few that didn't show up on campus and that was not able to be overcome.

I expect that experience was a good learning one.

He's a very good recruiter and extremely well thought of in recruiting circles.

Not saying he should be our coach, but I think he'd be a good choice.
If they want to retain him on the staff that's one thing. I know he coached under Tanner too.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT