ADVERTISEMENT

Klempsuxx has another weak....

Ha! All my tater friends gave me crap for us having to schedule Akron last min and now look who they’re playing, voluntarily no doubt.

Reactions: 67gamecock
I'm trying to objectively see where they could even lose a game next year... there isn't a team on their schedule who they truly have to "prepare" for besides maybe ND, and lets be honest ND isn't Rudy's ND... it will be another trip to the playoffs with hopes they get demolished. The vicious cycle continues into the future until the ACC has some type of competition week in and week out.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
How the narrative changes over time.

When Miami and VaTech were added, it was structured in such a way as to set up a FSU/Miami ACCCG every year. They were powers at the time so that was the assumed outcome. Nobody expected they'd both go in the toilet at the same time.

They can't change the conference they are in (not easily anyway). Back when we won the SEC East, nobody around here (well, I wasn't here, but I was on CT and I assume it was largely the same) was saying our berth in the SECCG was somehow illegitimate b/c the East was crap that year. Maybe there were a few on CT, but they were banned in short order for expressing the opinion.

I get it: the ACC is weak. What's Clemson supposed to do about it? People talk about it like it's somehow Clemson's doing; as if they've nefariously engineered from behind the scenes the downfall of other ACC teams. For a while, Bama was the only school worth talking about from the SEC. It cycles. FSU will eventually get back, and may have already been back if not for the horrible Taggart hire. VaTech will come back. Things will look different.

And then people post about their released schedule as if it's news? We already largely know what their schedule is going to be this year and the year after and the year after and the year after.

Last edited:

When Miami and VaTech were added, it was structured in such a way as to set up a FSU/Miami ACCCG every year. They were powers at the time so that was the assumed outcome. Nobody expected they'd both go in the toilet at the same time.

They can't change the conference they are in (not easily anyway). Back when we won the SEC East, nobody around here (well, I wasn't here, but I was on CT and I assume it was largely the same) was saying our berth in the SECCG was somehow illegitimate b/c the East was crap that year. Maybe there were a few on CT, but they were banned in short order for expressing the opinion.

I get it: the ACC is weak. What's Clemson supposed to do about it? People talk about it like it's somehow Clemson's doing; as if they've nefariously engineered from behind the scenes the downfall of other ACC teams. For a while, Bama was the only school worth talking about from the SEC. It cycles. FSU will eventually get back, and may have already been back if not for the horrible Taggart hire. VaTech will come back. Things will look different.

And then people post about their released schedule as if it's news? We already largely know what their schedule is going to be this year and the year after and the year after and the year after.
Miami got the QB from Houston through the portal and may be healed quickly.

This actually hurts them in the playoffs, because they face legit adversity for the first time. It's better to face those tests throughout the season so that you are battle-hardened once you make it to the post season.

I believe this is one of the reasons we went 5-0 back when we were competitive - we were playing a tough SEC schedule while they were playing their typical powderpuff schedule. When November would roll around, we would be battle hardened and they would be facing adversity for the first time in their season.

The year we won the East, we played FIVE top 25 SEC conference opponents to win it, including #1 Alabama. And in the SEC title game, we played the eventual national champs. So yeah, nobody was saying that because they would have been an idiot to suggest something so absurd.

Your Clemson taters played no-damn-body to win the ACC. Not even close to being a valid comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miami got the QB from Houston through the portal and may be healed quickly.

Miami has major issues, a QB isn’t going to magically fix everything.

Take a read through their forum, I thought some of our fan base was delusional until I started reading what theirs was saying.

That program was built based on recruiting area talent that would’ve been arrested just for stepping foot on campus if they didn’t happen to be a football player, then they were able to pluck whatever national talent they wanted.

It’s not like that anymore, but they still think if they can just get a few more ex U players involved it’ll magically turn around.

They ran Richt off, if Diaz doesn’t win quick they’ll either be begging Jimmy Johnson to come out of retirement or getting their research labs to clone Schnellenberger.

I'm trying to objectively see where they could even lose a game next year... there isn't a team on their schedule who they truly have to "prepare" for besides maybe ND, and lets be honest ND isn't Rudy's ND... it will be another trip to the playoffs with hopes they get demolished. The vicious cycle continues into the future until the ACC has some type of competition week in and week out.
Looking at the roster, Clemson is short handed at the wr position. Yeah, they have Ross, but he disappeared the last two games. No one of note in this recruiting class.

Looking at the roster, Clemson is short handed at the wr position. Yeah, they have Ross, but he disappeared the last two games. No one of note in this recruiting class.

Huh? They signed the #15 WR (#72 overall) and have Amari Rodgers back along with the two 5* WR's they signed last year, who both played this year. I would like to be that "short handed".

The year we won the East, we played FIVE top 25 SEC conference opponents to win it, including #1 Alabama. And in the SEC title game, we played the eventual national champs. So yeah, nobody was saying that because they would have been an idiot to suggest something so absurd.

Your Clemson taters played no-damn-body to win the ACC. Not even close to being a valid comparison.

East sucked that year. How many teams have made it to an SECCG with 3 conferences losses?

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh? They signed the #15 WR (#72 overall) and have Amari Rodgers back along with the two 5* WR's they signed last year, who both played this year. I would like to be that "short handed".
Rodgers needs to step it up to be a real threat. The 2 freshman didn’t impress anyone. Ross wasn’t the same.
Renfrow was missed more than expected. And no one seems to be as good as he was with routes and sure hands.

Reactions: ecrumpton
This actually hurts them in the playoffs, because they face legit adversity for the first time. It's better to face those tests throughout the season so that you are battle-hardened once you make it to the post season.

I believe this is one of the reasons we went 5-0 back when we were competitive - we were playing a tough SEC schedule while they were playing their typical powderpuff schedule. When November would roll around, we would be battle hardened and they would be facing adversity for the first time in their season.

This statement holds no logic! When exactly did it hurt them in the playoff? They beat Oklahoma substantially in 15 and then lost a close one to Bama in the championship in which Saban had to resort to trick plays/onside kick. 16 they blew out OSU 31-0 and then beat Bama. 17 beat by bama in the first round. Last year Blew out ND and Bama. This year beat OSU and then lost in the National Championship game to a better LSU team?

So please explain to me how it has hurt them?

Last year the logic was they played a weak schedule so they were able to beat up on ND and Bama because they played a tough schedule and were "tired" this year it is they play a weak schedule so they were not prepared for the playoff. Which is it?

This statement holds no logic! When exactly did it hurt them in the playoff? They beat Oklahoma substantially in 15 and then lost a close one to Bama in the championship in which Saban had to resort to trick plays/onside kick. 16 they blew out OSU 31-0 and then beat Bama. 17 beat by bama in the first round. Last year Blew out ND and Bama. This year beat OSU and then lost in the National Championship game to a better LSU team?

So please explain to me how it has hurt them?

Last year the logic was they played a weak schedule so they were able to beat up on ND and Bama because they played a tough schedule and were "tired" this year it is they play a weak schedule so they were not prepared for the playoff. Which is it?

The cupcake schedule was never a thing until CU became elite and starting destroying every one on that schedule.

Good points. However, does Clemron's "weak" schedule allow them to escape player injuries they would otherwise sustain?

Assuming we are not in the top 25, if they can get by ND, they might finally get a regular season win against a team that finished top 25. That's one more than they got last year. Hard to deny that improvement.

Last edited:
Good points. However, does Clemron's "weak" schedule allow them to escape player injuries they would otherwise sustain?

Yep. And it gives their future starters and backups value game experience. How many times have we been frustrated because our future starters can't get in a game because the score is too close at the end to risk it?

Let's face it, with what Clemson has going now and their cupcake conference schedule, the burden is on is to knock them off their high-horse. VT and Miami aint coming back. FSU isnt going to consistently beat them. If we want Clemson to come down to earth, we're the ones that will have to do it. And right now, we have a huge gap to close to even consider that.

Just curious, which years was Alabama the only team "worth talking about from the SEC"?

Also losing 4 starting offensive linemen, but let me guess? the backups are better that the starters, right?

Reactions: griffgolf
The cupcake schedule was never a thing until CU became elite and starting destroying every one on that schedule.

It's always been an issue, even during the years we were beating Clemson. They would coast through the regular season, then lose to us in the final game. They'd play in a higher tier bowl due to conference affiliation and the rest of the ACC was down. Clemson played in higher bowls than we did for several years even though we beat them head to head, finished with a similar record, and finished ranked higher. They have benefited by playing a easy conference schedule for most of Datboy's HC career.

ass football schedule next year. No need to watch any of their games.
According to TeamRankings, last 4 yrs Clem's SOS has been 6th, 7th, 14th, 31st. Obviously this takes into account post season as it is the year end rankings. SC only had 1 season where their SOS was ranked higher which was 2019.

Not sure where SOS has any bearing on anything if Champ can't beat them? Who from SEC would have beat them this yr besides LSU? No one! Which Pac12 team or Big12, because best team in Big10 couldn't? Seems dumb to make fun of their schedule when they are winning OOC games also!! They haven't been afraid of SEC and it wasn't the cupcakes. Just saying. Spurrier was making the SEC look pretty weak for a few yrs.

Reactions: 6thDanTKD
According to TeamRankings, last 4 yrs Clem's SOS has been 6th, 7th, 14th, 31st. Obviously this takes into account post season as it is the year end rankings. SC only had 1 season where their SOS was ranked higher which was 2019.

Not sure where SOS has any bearing on anything if Champ can't beat them? Who from SEC would have beat them this yr besides LSU? No one! Which Pac12 team or Big12, because best team in Big10 couldn't? Seems dumb to make fun of their schedule when they are winning OOC games also!! They haven't been afraid of SEC and it wasn't the cupcakes. Just saying. Spurrier was making the SEC look pretty weak for a few yrs.
Wait you actually believe those SOS rankings? I laugh at em.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT