ADVERTISEMENT

Klempsuxx has another weak....

East sucked that year. How many teams have made it to an SECCG with 3 conferences losses?
It was odd circumstances that allowed us to win that year but there were 3 teams tied with a 5-3 record. UF and UGA both had the same record. Fortunately we beat both of them that year. We really should have only had 2 losses in the conference but a complete meltdown in the Kentucky game allowed them to come back. It was as if when Marcus got hurt, we quit playing. It was unfortunate too because he was having a monster game against them.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
2015 or 2016? Maybe both.

I would say 2014 and 2018 as well. All we heard about in 2018 was Tua, Tua, Tua, Alabama might be the greatest team ever.

In 2017 Georgia was certainly worth talking about, same with LSU in 2019. Next year it will be all Bama again unless the Wake QB finally gives Georgia an offense.

Non-conference includes @ND and their rival from the SEC. That's a better non-conference schedule than most p5 schools... not sure what else they can do. It's not their fault that their rival sucks.
Clems schedule sucks. They play in a joke of a football conference known as the ACC. The reason clem plays NOBODY is because of their conference schedule.

You do know clem had the same number of wins against top 25 teams in the regular season as their rival did, right?

Just curious, which years was Alabama the only team "worth talking about from the SEC"?
2014 bama 2 losses next best had 3 loses, 2015 Bama 1 loss next best 3 losses and played fla in sec champ game 4 loses , 2016 big time here next best team was a 9-4 fla, 2017 you can add GA in there but next best after them was a 4 loss Auburn team who lost to Clemson, 2018 next best teams had 3 losses. So just because ESPN was talking about them dosen't mean the SEC wasn't a 1 horse conference outside of the 2017 season.

According to TeamRankings, last 4 yrs Clem's SOS has been 6th, 7th, 14th, 31st. Obviously this takes into account post season as it is the year end rankings. SC only had 1 season where their SOS was ranked higher which was 2019.

Not sure where SOS has any bearing on anything if Champ can't beat them? Who from SEC would have beat them this yr besides LSU? No one! Which Pac12 team or Big12, because best team in Big10 couldn't? Seems dumb to make fun of their schedule when they are winning OOC games also!! They haven't been afraid of SEC and it wasn't the cupcakes. Just saying. Spurrier was making the SEC look pretty weak for a few yrs.
It would seem those rankings are severely flawed when they get to include additional top tier opponments while other schools dont get the opportunity because of a limited draw.
And when comparing to other conferences, you would do well to include the AAC who had a 4 to 1 margin over the ACC in the final rankings.

It would seem those rankings are severely flawed when they get to include additional top tier opponments while other schools dont get the opportunity because of a limited draw.
And when comparing to other conferences, you would do well to include the AAC who had a 4 to 1 margin over the ACC in the final rankings.
You only see them as flawed because they don't agree with your narrative. I could argue that the "final rankings" are flawed based on bias. At least the SOS rankings are done without bias by a computer. I have no problem owning that the ACC is down, but that is because I am not an ACC fan, I am a Clemson fan. When FSU was playing for championships a few years back I was rooting like hell for them to lose.

Clem doesn't play tough out of conference opponents. Notre Dame is not a top team no matter what the rankings say

2014 bama 2 losses next best had 3 loses, 2015 Bama 1 loss next best 3 losses and played fla in sec champ game 4 loses , 2016 big time here next best team was a 9-4 fla, 2017 you can add GA in there but next best after them was a 4 loss Auburn team who lost to Clemson, 2018 next best teams had 3 losses. So just because ESPN was talking about them dosen't mean the SEC wasn't a 1 horse conference outside of the 2017 season.

You should also list the teams they lost to and their rankings. You know, since SEC teams actually play ranked teams.

Last edited:
According to TeamRankings, last 4 yrs Clem's SOS has been 6th, 7th, 14th, 31st. Obviously this takes into account post season as it is the year end rankings. SC only had 1 season where their SOS was ranked higher which was 2019.

Not sure where SOS has any bearing on anything if Champ can't beat them? Who from SEC would have beat them this yr besides LSU? No one! Which Pac12 team or Big12, because best team in Big10 couldn't? Seems dumb to make fun of their schedule when they are winning OOC games also!! They haven't been afraid of SEC and it wasn't the cupcakes. Just saying. Spurrier was making the SEC look pretty weak for a few yrs.

Boy, I've seen some taters try and twist stats on this site but this takes the cake. You've really uncovered something here. You're saying making the playoffs greatly increases a team's strength of schedule? Wow, who would have thunk it?

Now try this, look at the USC and Clemson regular season schedules for the past four years and compare how many opponents finished the season ranked in the top 25. That's the most accurate way to compare strength of schedules.

Last edited:
You should also list the teams they lost to and their rankings. You know, since SEC teams actually play ranked teams.
That wasn't the argument you were making in which I responded too. You said what years was Alabama the only team worth talking about I gave you the years. And Just because a team loses to a ranked team does not make them elite it means they lost to a ranked team nothing more nothing less, being that the primary goal of competing and becoming elite is winning games, weather or not the team is ranked or unranked. Trophys are not handed out for toughest strength of schedule, they are handed out based on wins.

That wasn't the argument you were making in which I responded too. You said what years was Alabama the only team worth talking about I gave you the years. And Just because a team loses to a ranked team does not make them elite it means they lost to a ranked team nothing more nothing less, being that the primary goal of competing and becoming elite is winning games, weather or not the team is ranked or unranked. Trophys are not handed out for toughest strength of schedule, they are handed out based on wins.

The OP stated that for several years Alabama was the only team from the SEC "worth talking about". I completely disagree. When a top 10 - 15 ranked team loses to another top 10-15 ranked team they don't suddenly become irrelevant. The point I was making, which you totally missed, is that navigating a season vs ranked opponents is much more difficult than playing a full season vs unranked opponents. This is exactly why most of the 2 or 3 loss SEC teams you mentioned still finished the season ranked in the top 25. The same reason a 3 loss ACC would not finish the season ranked in the top 25.... Strength of schedule.

Let me guess, you're another Clemson fan here to "just talk sports"? Which really means you're here to "set us straight" and only participate in Clemson threads. You guys are all the same, your arguments are all the same and almost as weak as Clemson's schedule. Clemson has the easiest path to the playoffs. Period. It will continue that way until a few other ACC teams, or South Carolina steps up and makes the path more difficult. Why not enjoy the ride? Instead, you guys are just like Datboy, constantly seeking justification. Winning is not enough. You all have to explain why your wins were great. Little man syndrome. Just enjoy the ride.

The OP stated that for several years Alabama was the only team from the SEC "worth talking about". I completely disagree. When a top 10 - 15 ranked team loses to another top 10-15 ranked team they don't suddenly become irrelevant. The point I was making, which you totally missed, is that navigating a season vs ranked opponents is much more difficult than playing a full season vs unranked opponents. This is exactly why most of the 2 or 3 loss SEC teams you mentioned still finished the season ranked in the top 25. The same reason a 3 loss ACC would not finish the season ranked in the top 25.... Strength of schedule.

Let me guess, you're another Clemson fan here to "just talk sports"? Which really means you're here to "set us straight" and only participate in Clemson threads. You guys are all the same, your arguments are all the same and almost as weak as Clemson's schedule. Clemson has the easiest path to the playoffs. Period. It will continue that way until a few other ACC teams, or South Carolina steps up and makes the path more difficult. Why not enjoy the ride? Instead, you guys are just like Datboy, constantly seeking justification. Winning is not enough. You all have to explain why your wins were great. Little man syndrome. Just enjoy the ride.

Good talk my man, no I am a Clemson fan, and I am here to talk football, talk a little healthy smack to my teams rivals, and have mature conversation. Clearly you cannot handle any of that like some of your other U of SC brethren are capable of doing, and actually offer some reasonable debate. So cheers and good luck!

You only see them as flawed because they don't agree with your narrative. I could argue that the "final rankings" are flawed based on bias. At least the SOS rankings are done without bias by a computer. I have no problem owning that the ACC is down, but that is because I am not an ACC fan, I am a Clemson fan. When FSU was playing for championships a few years back I was rooting like hell for them to lose.
Now if you had said pre-season rankings are full of bias, pretty sure no one would disagree. But you saying the final rankings does rise my curiosity. I'll be happy to hear the arguments you say you can make.This ought to be good.

Clemson was favored to beat 4-8 South Carolina by 27.5 points.

To win the ACC Championship, Clemson was favored to beat Virginia by 29 points.

THAT is how TERRIBLE the ACC is.

Reactions: BigTomE
The year we won the East, we played FIVE top 25 SEC conference opponents to win it, including #1 Alabama. And in the SEC title game, we played the eventual national champs. So yeah, nobody was saying that because they would have been an idiot to suggest something so absurd.

Your Clemson taters played no-damn-body to win the ACC. Not even close to being a valid comparison.

And LSU beat seven top 25 teams this past year. And how many did CU beat? OSU?

Now if you had said pre-season rankings are full of bias, pretty sure no one would disagree. But you saying the final rankings does rise my curiosity. I'll be happy to hear the arguments you say you can make.This ought to be good.
Just as an example, look at the 2014 schedule for Auburn. They were ranked pre season # 6. They finished the season with 5 losses one to an unranked ATM and one to Wiss in a bowl. That same year GT beat Miss State in the Orange Bowl and finished with 3 losses. Now are you telling me that if GA Tech had lost 5 games that year to the same teams and then lost their bowl game they would have been ranked. Put aside conferences and look at it blindly. Tell me there was no biased that Auburn finished ranked 22 after losing 4 of their last 5 games? Tell me if an ACC team or a Big 10 team would have been given the same ranking having lost 4 of their last 5 to the same teams Auburn did?

Reactions: griffgolf
Clemson was favored to beat 4-8 South Carolina by 27.5 points.

To win the ACC Championship, Clemson was favored to beat Virginia by 29 points.

THAT is how TERRIBLE the ACC is.
Maybe because we played them at home and the ACC Championship was at a neutral site

Reactions: cfbfan15
Here is another example from this year with GA, I think everyone can agree that GA schedule was not on par with LSUs. So had Clemson lost to U of SC lost to LSU scraped by vs ATM and Florida would Clemson still have been given the benefit of the doubt and ranked in the top 5? (I use those teams because of common opponents or teams comparable (UVA played Fla tough in the OB). Would Clemson still have been even in the top 10?

Here is another example from this year with GA, I think everyone can agree that GA schedule was not on par with LSUs. So had Clemson lost to U of SC lost to LSU scraped by vs ATM and Florida would Clemson still have been given the benefit of the doubt and ranked in the top 5? (I use those teams because of common opponents or teams comparable (UVA played Fla tough in the OB). Would Clemson still have been even in the top 10?

But what if Clemson played a team of unicorns and sasquatches????

Good talk my man, no I am a Clemson fan, and I am here to talk football, talk a little healthy smack to my teams rivals, and have mature conversation. Clearly you cannot handle any of that like some of your other U of SC brethren are capable of doing, and actually offer some reasonable debate. So cheers and good luck!

So..... no reply at all to this...?

This is exactly why most of the 2 or 3 loss SEC teams you mentioned still finished the season ranked in the top 25. The same reason a 3 loss ACC would not finish the season ranked in the top 25.... Strength of schedule.

Spare me the here to have a mature conversation BS. You're not here to talk football, you're here to talk Clemson, which is the reason you only post in threads concerning Clemson. What is mature about joining your rivals site only to ridicule, insult, and talk smack? Like I said... you're all exactly the same. You all claim to be here to "just talk football", but in reality you're all here to just talk Clemson. Like I said in a previous post, just enjoy the ride. It won't last forever.

Just as an example, look at the 2014 schedule for Auburn. They were ranked pre season # 6. They finished the season with 5 losses one to an unranked ATM and one to Wiss in a bowl. That same year GT beat Miss State in the Orange Bowl and finished with 3 losses. Now are you telling me that if GA Tech had lost 5 games that year to the same teams and then lost their bowl game they would have been ranked. Put aside conferences and look at it blindly. Tell me there was no biased that Auburn finished ranked 22 after losing 4 of their last 5 games? Tell me if an ACC team or a Big 10 team would have been given the same ranking having lost 4 of their last 5 to the same teams Auburn did?
I'd say there would have been a pretty good chance gt would have finished ranked had they played a stronger ooc schedule. Evidently playing an acc schedule, Tulane, GSU, Wofford along with their annual meeting against UGA was good enough for them, but not good enough for the pollsters. That's on them. I'll credit Dabo tho, he understands that isn't good enough.

I'd say there would have been a pretty good chance gt would have finished ranked had they played a stronger ooc schedule. Evidently playing an acc schedule, Tulane, GSU, Wofford along with their annual meeting against UGA was good enough for them, but not good enough for the pollsters. That's on them. I'll credit Dabo tho, he understands that isn't good enough.
Fair Point, have a good weekend BD!

Reactions: bucketdad
The perfect storm for Clempsun is the following:

1. Blabo finds a very good DC (Venables), and maintains 90% of his coaching staff year after year UNTIL Fatbradstard Jr bails for USF in 2019
2. Blabo is an excellent recruiter, with boosters and a church or two assisting monetarily over the last ten years or so
3. FSU, Miami, VT, UNC, UofL, and a few others football programs go to shit. There is little to no legitimate competition in the acc anywhere to give CU much of a game
4. SOS stays one or two years too long, appoints his incompetent oldest son to the RC position, and ALLOWS 'Jr.' to approve coaching replacements for Ellis Johnson, Brad Lawing, and one or two others with IDIOTS.

There you have the perfect storm that has helped Moo U get to where they are today. Probably a few others you can add in as well....

ass football schedule next year. No need to watch any of their games.

Convoluted. Regardless of what their schedule, we have an opportunity each year to do something about Clemson and we get demolished.

Clemson has scored more points against us than any other team on their "cupcake" schedule during the 4yr Muschamp tenure - including Wake.

Clems schedule sucks. They play in a joke of a football conference known as the ACC. The reason clem plays NOBODY is because of their conference schedule.

You do know clem had the same number of wins against top 25 teams in the regular season as their rival did, right?

Excellent point. Clemson was 35 points better than their rival that day, so does that make them 35+ points better than Georgia?

Reactions: FJRTiger
Convoluted. Regardless of what their schedule, we have an opportunity each year to do something about Clemson and we get demolished.

Clemson has scored more points against us than any other team on their "cupcake" schedule during the 4yr Muschamp tenure - including Wake.
0-5 record as the spoiler since the football playoffs began. At some point, I can only hope that becomes unacceptable. Sadly i dont know when.

I would say 2014 and 2018 as well. All we heard about in 2018 was Tua, Tua, Tua, Alabama might be the greatest team ever. In 2017 Georgia was certainly worth talking about, same with LSU in 2019. Next year it will be all Bama again unless the Wake QB finally gives Georgia an offense.

Newman will be in the Heisman talk early if he has receivers and has some speed if he has to tuck it. No no, he will not be in New York. He is just a pretty good QB.
Others may know more about Chase Brice, but heard on the radio that he is going to Vandy; not Michigan. Doubt Brice wins any MVPs, but he will be a good 2 year QB for someone.

Newman will be in the Heisman talk early if he has receivers and has some speed if he has to tuck it. No no, he will not be in New York. He is just a pretty good QB.
Others may know more about Chase Brice, but heard on the radio that he is going to Vandy; not Michigan. Doubt Brice wins any MVPs, but he will be a good 2 year QB for someone.

He could get an MBA at Vanderbilt or Michigan. The Michigan one is worth a little more at graduation, ~$120k. I'd choose Michigan for the connections.

2015 or 2016? Maybe both.
You mean 2015 when Ole Miss beat Alabama and finished 10th in the nation and completely destroyed Oklahoma State in the Sugar Bowl. Sure, there were only 5 SEC teams to finish in the top-25 but it must have been a down year right? 2016 must be the year you're referring to when yet again there were only 5 teams to finish in the top-25, including 3 in the top-15. We must have had the worst P5 conference in college football those seasons.

I would say 2014 and 2018 as well. All we heard about in 2018 was Tua, Tua, Tua, Alabama might be the greatest team ever.

In 2017 Georgia was certainly worth talking about, same with LSU in 2019. Next year it will be all Bama again unless the Wake QB finally gives Georgia an offense.
2014? Six SEC teams finished in the top-25, including 2 in the top-10 and 4 in the top-15. 2018? again, 8 teams finishing in the top-25 with 3 of them in the top-10 and another at ll. I really would like to know what it is that make you think those were bad years for the conference. In the ACC's best season they only finished with 4 teams in the top-25

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT