ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Culpepper is furious right now y’all.

tron1013

Apr 21, 2004
A69-DBD13-9-EB0-4-A89-A093-4023-CBE38384.jpg

Dr. Pepper, Official Beverage of NewSpring

This is already getting out of hand with the kid skipping his senior year to sign the NIL deal. I predict some changes to this thing in the near future to balance it out and set some limits.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
I wonder how long before companies decide there really isn’t a return on some of these and it stops? College football fans are funny and some will stop buying Dr. Pepper over this. Not to mention if he comes out and throws 3 INTs over the first two games and gets benched then you’re getting nothing out of the name.

I wonder how long before companies decide there really isn’t a return on some of these and it stops? College football fans are funny and some will stop buying Dr. Pepper over this. Not to mention if he comes out and throws 3 INTs over the first two games and gets benched then you’re getting nothing out of the name.

It won't take long. Successful on the field, or not, I have a feeling that having any college athlete associated with your company isn't going to influence buying habits one bit.

Don‘t companies take the risk with any athlete endorsement deal? A pro athlete can have a bad season too, yet overall these deals must be successful for the companies as they keep doing them.

Don‘t companies take the risk with any athlete endorsement deal? A pro athlete can have a bad season too, yet overall these deals must be successful for the companies as they keep doing them.
True but a pro athletes have typically proven long term success rates. So many of these guys making announcements haven’t had a successful college season yet. Lots of risk hanging an advertising campaign on a guy who might play two weeks and then never be seen from again.

True but a pro athletes have typically proven long term success rates. So many of these guys making announcements haven’t had a successful college season yet. Lots of risk hanging an advertising campaign on a guy who might play two weeks and then never be seen from again.
Looked it up and Dr. P spent $547,000,000 on advertising in 2017. Not a huge risk to spend a little on college athletes.

I’m not sure how you regulate it. The Ncaa basically already has been chastised for regulating it. I’m not really sure how they can decide what a players value is to company x or what their autograph is worth. In 1928 if you would have told people that babe Ruth’s signed jersey would be worth 5.5 million they would have laughed at you. Well guess what that’s what it recently sold for.

Exactly. 99% of these kids inking deals straight out of high school won't come near to living up to their own hype. I predict that these companies will soon stop signing kids out of high school and wait to see if they are truly as good as they thought they were. Also, these companies are about to discover just how loyal College FB fans are to their schools, moreso than they are to these products.

However, it will be a cold day in Hell before I give up Dr. Pepper. Really hoping for a Fansville episode where Boz levels Ukulele.

The two ways you can limit it without causing a huge issue is limit when a player can sign an NIL. Say they have to be enrolled or cant sign until after their freshman year. Something along those lines. You could also say player can only earn X amount and stay on full scholarship. How long before two players meet that have NIL deals with the same company and they pay player X a huge amount under the table to throw a game because they believe player Y makes them more money by winning. This is going to cause huge problems with entitled players who dont get the deal they wanted and is mad when their teammate got a better deal.

I can't wait until tobacco and alcohol companies jump on the wagon and cut deals with 18 year olds. And right around the corner will be the cannabis industry. Who's going to stop them legally ? All three are huge college age markets.

Reactions: redrogers
I can't wait until tobacco and alcohol companies jump on the wagon and cut deals with 18 year olds. And right around the corner will be the cannabis industry. Who's going to stop them legally ? All three are huge college age markets.
I don’t really see anything wrong if it did happen. What would be the reason for stoping it. Other than cannabis the rest are legal companies.

Don't think alcohol and tobacco endorsements are allowed under the CURRENT NIL rules but the future is not known to us.

Dr. Pepper cancelled the Larry Culpepper ads. I actually emailed through their website and said I thought his commercials were some of the best on TV and got a response that they decided to go in another advertising direction. No other explanation. I don’t drink them anymore but they tasted a lot better when I was a kid and they sold them in glass bottles with the 10 2 and 4 logo if any of you remember those. I think they changed the formula.

Reactions: redrogers
I hope so. That guy is a terrible Prince rip off. His commercials are just annoying. I drink an occasional Dr Pepper and still will . I much preferred the Larry Culpepper commercials.

Truly can not stand lil sweet. But also, hated the fan city or whatever thing dr pepper was doing.

I much preferred Culpepper commercials. Although to be fair, it's rare that I sit through commercials and not channel surf.

Snoop will probably sponsor some guys. I hadn’t thought about legal cannabis?! That will be a windfall!

• Haha
Reactions: section2cock
It won't take long. Successful on the field, or not, I have a feeling that having any college athlete associated with your company isn't going to influence buying habits one bit.
Are you serious? And why would an uber successful college kid not drive sales just like a pro would? Look at all of the 18-22 year old “influencers” who are already raking in the dough even without having a platform as large as a dynasty in college football offers.

Can’t remember anything I bought, ate or drank because I saw some athlete sell it. I guess I am not in the target market for this crap. I do know I won’t drink Dr Pepper. I am in the anti target market

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT