ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s discuss this quote - “Money is not a motivator.”

Poultrygeist

Feb 16, 2002
When I was working part time at Carowinds during college, a manager told me “ Money is not a motivator.” At that time, I thought I was the stupidest quote I had ever heard. As I get older I have passed on opportunities to make more money. But, on the other hand, If my current salary was reduced, I would start looking for another job.

Thoughts?

My opinion on this is make as much money as you can early in life and do what you want later in life. For the first 20 years of my working career I had jobs where I made good money but traveled all the time. 15 years ago I opened my own business...struggled early on but now I'm in a good position (crossing fingers now because of the virus).

When I was working part time at Carowinds during college, a manager told me “ Money is not a motivator.” At that time, I thought I was the stupidest quote I had ever heard. As I get older I have passed on opportunities to make more money. But, on the other hand, If my current salary was reduced, I would start looking for another job.

Thoughts?
It's pride. You feel you're worth what you're making. You like the combination of pay and benefits (both official and circumstantial) afforded by your job. If they offered you less, you would feel disrespected. On the other hand, you don't need more than you have and you are content because your current pay easily supports your current quality of life.

Do you sometimes reminisce about having a little more at times? Probably (I don't know you). But ultimately it's not a need. A new job is a new group of people to impress and a loss of the current social status you've established at your current position. So money there isn't the motivator. You've achieved what you want with money. More is ok, but not something you actively seek.

If your ends aren't being easily met, money is a huge motivator. To most of the middle class who are happy to live within their means, money isn't much of a motivator.

Reactions: Dizzy01

Thoughts?

It depends. Making more money is not a motivator for me now. I’m happy with my salary. I could make more possibly but time at home motivates me, not money.

I think your manager at such a job was likely saying that paying someone a bit more wont motivate them in the long run in many cases to do their job. They either have a work ethic or they don’t. People that are internally motivated do the job right regardless of the money.

For nearly 15 years I worked for a Fortune 500 company making more money than I imagine existed . I made more my first year out of college than both my parents made combined in 2 years . Had an apartment on the water , a new truck and two boats and I was absolutely miserable. The stress turned me into an alcoholic , suicidal basket case . I neglected everything that I loved including my family . Well after having my second nervous breakdown I just walked away . Called my boss told him I was done effectively immediately and peaced out . At the time I didn’t even have a vehicle because I had a company car !!! Everybody thought I was nuts . Turns out that was the best decision I ever made in my life . Now I make just enough to pay the bills and provide for my family and Its been the happiest days of my life (2020 has definitely sucked) . We have a very modest home and I drive a truck with 180000 miles . I wouldn’t trade my life now for any amount of money in the world . I make living doing what I love and to me that’s worth any salary I could make . It’s not always easy but I can say with 100% certainty if I wouldn’t have made this change I would either be dead or in a psychiatric home . The dollars definitely ain’t everything guys and gals !!

To a point money is a great motivator, it is why I got a job at 11 delivering papers and worked all through HS and College.
I chose Ministry as a profession because I wanted to help people and make a difference in the World. My dad’s law partner said he would put up the money for me to have a TV ministry, only restriction was I had to guarantee front row seats in heaven for a 50k donation. I guess I missed out.
I need a certain level of money to live but I am not driven by that to work hard.

I feel like this quote could have multiple meetings. I read it as saying that most people think what they want, and what motivates them is money, but in reality it's not the case.

I think people don't get this themselves until they reach a certain level of salary and then realize they still aren't satisfied simply because they make a lot. I know a ton of unhappy attorneys that are making bank, but are miserable and unmotivated at work and wish they would have done something different than chasing the dollar.

And while money can be a short term motivator, eventually that wears off and you're back to your same level of motivation (outside of life-changing money of course - I'm just talking about raises within the realm of real world business/employment).

HR and sociologists will tell you money is not a motivator but satisfaction and recognition are more important. Not exactly true. If you can't feed your family but you are happy in your job you have failed as leader of your family. Money motivates us to provide for them. After reaching that point, satisfaction and recognition may be strong factors. We may make choices to change jobs but i don’t know anyone who says i am going to quit my well paying job and put my family on welfare and live in a car. So money is a motivator

Money itself is paper or numbers on a screen. The stuff money buys is absolutely a motivator:

-Basic needs like food and shelter
-Ability to attract a spouse and provide for offspring
-protection from the vagaries of life
-to be able to help others
-to feed your ego
-etc, etc

Everyone puts a different value on different things, and it even changes over the course of life.

Quality of life is my primary career motivator. Money plays a considerable part in that, but it's not the only part. To the extent that it allows me to live where I want to live and have the type of lifestyle I want, it's useful. But more money to live in a place I hate or where I cant do the things I enjoy, is virtually useless.

Last edited:

Thoughts?

Money needed for baseline necessities.

Otherwise, a healthy body & mind, sense of purpose, a general curiosity for learning, love for nature, spiritual presence, human connection, etc - far supersede excess wealth.

I think manny leaders would say money rarely motivates someone.

if that were true, paying an employee more would always result in better work, better performance, etc.

think about military members. They are Not getting rich. But many are very motivated.

I think manny leaders would say money rarely motivates someone.

if that were true, paying an employee more would always result in better work, better performance, etc.

think about military members. They are Not getting rich. But many are very motivated.
It is often true that when you talk to people who hate their jobs, their pay, or lack thereof is not among their top complaints. But it usually takes some digging to get to that. People will often throw out "I'm not paid enough" as an initial complaint, but when you sit down and talk with them, there are often other more prominent factors that contribute to their poor morale than the pay. A boost in pay will often cause someone to put up with a job they hate for a little longer, but the new eventually wears off of that new salary and they are right back to square one.

Anecdotally, in my work we recognize outstanding employees several time a year with awards. We are authorized to give cash bonuses or time-off awards, depending on the circumstances. In my conversations with employees, the preferences seem to be evenly split. I'm reluctant to call those awards "motivators" because they are awarded after the fact and are more in the nature of surprises than goals. But it's still interesting that about half the folks value their free time more than the money.

Last edited:
Studies have shown that people working lower level jobs in retail and the service industry often change jobs for as little as .15/hr because for them that is $600 a year. I think for most people once you reach a comfort point there is an amount you can’t say no to but there are a lot you would.

I don’t think you can made a bad employee become a good employee just by paying more but you can retain a good employee by doing so in some cases.

Reactions: uscg1984
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT