ADVERTISEMENT

LETS BE HAPPY ABOUT OUR 2018 CLASS

MANAFOLD

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2004
We haven't finished but already have one of the best classes in the country. Oh yes, I know some of our very knowledgeable football expert fans say with the 5 * recruits of Georgia and Clemson it will be years before we can compete with them if ever again. I just have to shake my head and laugh at this crap. I realize that on the Clemson team Lawrence and Wilkins are former 5* high school players who have lived up to their billing but aside from Watson and Watkins, how many other 5* players did they have that were better than any 4* or even 3* players that we have had that were/ are real playmakers.
Is Ray Ray Mcloud better than 3* De Bo Samuel? Is Cain better than Hurst? What about the 5* Bowers? Was he better than 3* Delvin Taylor from Beaufort. The 5* Johnson probably will never start at QB and I predict will transfer somewhere else.
Way too much credit is given on high school kids in the star system, sometimes mainly because their hype vastly exceeds their play making ability. Granted, Clemson has some very good talent, yes more than we do and we all know what happened to our roster post Spurrier.
Will has done a super job this year recruiting and it remains to be seen if he has closed the gap somewhat or if there is a so called gap to close at all.
Lets be thankful we have a great coach and staff and instead of wailing over Dabo Swinney's little catch of 5* this class, forget him and start bragging on our kids a little bit. That would certainly make this board and our culture so much the better.

We haven't finished but already have one of the best classes in the country. Oh yes, I know some of our very knowledgeable football expert fans say with the 5 * recruits of Georgia and Clemson it will be years before we can compete with them if ever again. I just have to shake my head and laugh at this crap. I realize that on the Clemson team Lawrence and Wilkins are former 5* high school players who have lived up to their billing but aside from Watson and Watkins, how many other 5* players did they have that were better than any 4* or even 3* players that we have had that were/ are real playmakers.
Is Ray Ray Mcloud better than 3* De Bo Samuel? Is Cain better than Hurst? What about the 5* Bowers? Was he better than 3* Delvin Taylor from Beaufort. The 5* Johnson probably will never start at QB and I predict will transfer somewhere else.
Way too much credit is given on high school kids in the star system, sometimes mainly because their hype vastly exceeds their play making ability. Granted, Clemson has some very good talent, yes more than we do and we all know what happened to our roster post Spurrier.
Will has done a super job this year recruiting and it remains to be seen if he has closed the gap somewhat or if there is a so called gap to close at all.
Lets be thankful we have a great coach and staff and instead of wailing over Dabo Swinney's little catch of 5* this class, forget him and start bragging on our kids a little bit. That would certainly make this board and our culture so much the better.

cant wait till we sign another set of twins! yee haw

Reactions: Farm Tiger 1956
Stars actually do matter. The last 11 years, the team that won the national championship averaged a top 10 recruiting class for the 4 years leading up to the championship year. And yes, your class has to have one or two 5 stars and a nice helping of 4 stars to crack the top 10. You won't find many teams recruiting 2 and 3 star kids as their primary class cracking the top 10.

To another point...name 4 players among all our offensive, defensive, and special teams starters that would start for Clemson. Your claim that our athletes are essentially equal is a little off I believe. I think Deebo, Hurst, Skai, maybe Brunson, maybe one of our DBs...maybe.

That being said, I'm happy about our progress, happy to have Will and his staff...just hope we can keep them together for a while. Love that dogged recruiting. Gotta coach these guys to be better than they are, win a few more, get a few more better players...rinse, repeat.

We have a great class this year...chance to end up in the top 15. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. A testimony to all the hard work our staff is doing.

Another thing to get excited about is how many of these guys are going to be here for spring practice. Think this is a new record for us, and have to be in the top five at least, for number of guys doing that.

One thing I'm not getting though, is that I understood Jamison, Character, even Brice Thompson were going to be spring enrollees? Yet now they may or may not be able to sign due to grades. Know Thompson is a high schooler, and is now on track to qualify, but definitely not getting Character or Jameson if they indeed are wrapping up academics this fall.

I'm not 18 years old, but I don't get why all these kids want to go to the same teams. Somebody's gotta stay on the sideline. I would want to go where I can play immediately and all I wanted to! Gotta support the guys we did get and forget the ones we didn't. Why they didn't or didn't want to come here is over. Move on and get behind the ones the did. Keep making progress and hopefully the ball will start rolling. Go Cocks!

Reactions: gamecock ed
I expected more from BOOM he said he was a recruiter. A team of 3 stars will get you 8 or 9 wins that's about it. We got our ass kicked with instate elite player's. The guys he flipped were because of Coaching Changes. I think it's pathetic Willie Taggert can be on the Job a couple of weeks at FSU and pull a 5 star out of California. We our lucky to get a couple of 4 stars. If he don't hit a homerun with the OC hire BOOM and Ray need to pack it up and get out of town.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3puttbogeyman
I'm not 18 years old, but I don't get why all these kids want to go to the same teams. Somebody's gotta stay on the sideline. I would want to go where I can play immediately and all I wanted to! Gotta support the guys we did get and forget the ones we didn't. Why they didn't or didn't want to come here is over. Move on and get behind the ones the did. Keep making progress and hopefully the ball will start rolling. Go Cocks!

Because they all think they are good enough to play right away regardless of who is already there.

I expected more from BOOM he said he was a recruiter. A team of 3 stars will get you 8 or 9 wins that's about it. We got our ass kicked with instate elite player's. The guys he flipped were because of Coaching Changes. I think it's pathetic Willie Taggert can be on the Job a couple of weeks at FSU and pull a 5 star out of California. We our lucky to get a couple of 4 stars. If he don't hit a homerun with the OC hire BOOM and Ray need to pack it up and get out of town.
i am so sorry. i dont get the nonsense you posted. muschamp is just now in his 2nd yr of our program which was burning like a dumpster fire on the southside of chigaco. yet he comes in and we have one of the better classes in recent memory. he is a defensive genius. built defense after defense. texas lsu fla auburn etc...i have been a gamecock for a long long time and watched coach after coach fail here. and with the exception of jo mo and spurrier for a brief while. our history has been about mid road. i still say that muschamp will be one of the best coaching hires we have ever made. now if we can get the skirt wearing middle age men to have some semblance of patience and maybe offer the coach the same opportunity that lets say frank beamer had at VT then maybe we can get somewhere with the program. clemson certainly didnt run old datboy off when we were spanking them 5 in a row. now look at them. patience grasshoppers

So called gap? 90-17 with mercy 4th quarters. That’s Gap enough for me

Reactions: michaeltodd93
I can imagine it’s not about playing time, although that has to be sold. Kids are attracted to the flash and being able to say I was recruited and got a scholly from Clemson (which is fashionable right now) or a Bama. If I was confident in my talent and I didn’t have any allegiance I would not want to come to USC after watching the Clemson game. Holtz sold some players on playing time. The one thing I know is dot have expectations of high school boys, they will just break your heart if you let them.

Stars actually do matter. The last 11 years, the team that won the national championship averaged a top 10 recruiting class for the 4 years leading up to the championship year. And yes, your class has to have one or two 5 stars and a nice helping of 4 stars to crack the top 10. You won't find many teams recruiting 2 and 3 star kids as their primary class cracking the top 10.

To another point...name 4 players among all our offensive, defensive, and special teams starters that would start for Clemson. Your claim that our athletes are essentially equal is a little off I believe. I think Deebo, Hurst, Skai, maybe Brunson, maybe one of our DBs...maybe.

That being said, I'm happy about our progress, happy to have Will and his staff...just hope we can keep them together for a while. Love that dogged recruiting. Gotta coach these guys to be better than they are, win a few more, get a few more better players...rinse, repeat.

We have a great class this year...chance to end up in the top 15. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. A testimony to all the hard work our staff is doing.
I’m happy with our class too but like you said stars matter. Every championship team in BCS and CFP era has had 50% of their team was 4 or 5 star players. Clemson was the lowest percentage last year with 52% 4 and 5 star players on the roster. That means you have to recruit 4 classes with more 4 and 5 star players than 3 and 2 star players. I love finding a gold nugget in the creek every once in a while but most gold is found in mines...(not an expert on gold just giving a metaphor don’t need a gold expert to contradict me)

Reactions: CavDad62
i am so sorry. i dont get the nonsense you posted. muschamp is just now in his 2nd yr of our program which was burning like a dumpster fire on the southside of chigaco. yet he comes in and we have one of the better classes in recent memory. he is a defensive genius. built defense after defense. texas lsu fla auburn etc...i have been a gamecock for a long long time and watched coach after coach fail here. and with the exception of jo mo and spurrier for a brief while. our history has been about mid road. i still say that muschamp will be one of the best coaching hires we have ever made. now if we can get the skirt wearing middle age men to have some semblance of patience and maybe offer the coach the same opportunity that lets say frank beamer had at VT then maybe we can get somewhere with the program. clemson certainly didnt run old datboy off when we were spanking them 5 in a row. now look at them. patience grasshoppers
He's been here 2 years and already has fired one OC. If the next OC don't pan out in the next 2 years. He has to GO!!!

He's been here 2 years and already has fired one OC. If the next OC don't pan out in the next 2 years. He has to GO!!!
figured you'd come back with something like that. so much for patience huh? anyway. TRY to have a nice Merry Christmas.

What the heck is this dude on? He's either drunk, heavily sedated, or very delusional! Isn't he the same poster that makes the same absurd predictions and statements about Clemson every year?

For his information 5 star players, facilities, and excellent coaches do matter; that's why Clemson is playing for national championships and we're not!

Reactions: ddw1263
Don't waste your breath, Pull. Patience is a sign of maturity and understanding. I wouldn't expect to get either out of this poster.
Muschamp is going into his seventh year as a head coach...during this time he will have had four different offensive coordinators. At what point does it become the one doing the hiring...and not the one being hired? Clearly...he can recruit, but he struggles mightily with offense. Why?

What the heck is this dude on? He's either drunk, heavily sedated, or very delusional! Isn't he the same poster that makes the same absurd predictions and statements about Clemson every year?

For his information 5 star players, facilities, and excellent coaches do matter; that's why Clemson is playing for national championships and we're not!

You're not fooling anyone, tater.

I agree with most of this but a blind man can see there is a gap and it' pretty wide. Unless you think we just choke every time we play them. We have scored 0 points in the first 3 quarters of the last 2 games hell we can't even cross the 50 until they call off the dogs. This is why so many on this board are complaining and it won't stop until the gap is closed. Now I think this class helps with that but time will tell. A good OC will close it a lot faster.

thank you for your post. wish there was more of that type of thinking and attitude around here. there are a few posters here that can absolutely make one sick to their stomach. until today i didnt even know where the ignore button was. ha ha. but thanks to the gentleman that i ignored he was kind enough to help me locate it. i am truly curious about the psyche of some of these guys. i wonder if they truly believe that if they complain and moan enough on this board that they will somehow magically effect change to our program. like bitch and moan just enough, and we will have the #1 class in recruiting and win the natty next yr? very interesting crowd we now have here on this board. wouldnt you agree?

I agree with most of this but a blind man can see there is a gap and it' pretty wide. Unless you think we just choke every time we play them. We have scored 0 points in the first 3 quarters of the last 2 games hell we can't even cross the 50 until they call off the dogs. This is why so many on this board are complaining and it won't stop until the gap is closed. Now I think this class helps with that but time will tell. A good OC will close it a lot faster.
There is a gap but I think it's made worse by #19 choking every time we play them. Our defense held them to 27 points last year and Clemson was definitely trying to score more late in the game. 27 points should'v been enough to make it a good ball game. Until we have better qb play against them, we will struggle.

Reactions: Goldhunter
Muschamp is going into his seventh year as a head coach...during this time he will have had four different offensive coordinators. At what point does it become the one doing the hiring...and not the one being hired? Clearly...he can recruit, but he struggles mightily with offense. Why?
No you're right, I think Coach would benefit from handing over the playcalling duties and focusing on what he does best (defense and recruiting). However, suggesting he get canned in 2 years if the new OC "don't pan out" is short-sighted (the kindest phrasing I could think of).
Fact is we've exceeded most reasonable expectations the past two seasons, so he's got plenty of room to build the program. It took dabo several years to get going, and your team is now on a roll. If we fire Muschamp after 2 more seasons, all it does is bury the program ... Unless of course Saban wants to come here for some mysterious reason, then by all means.

Reactions: rogue cock
Clemson has 3 of the top QB in the country. Call me when we have 2[/QUOTE
So you would trade Bentley for one of them? I know you would trade Joyner. I guess we will see how it starts shaking out on the field. Yyou people act like we have gone 1-9 against clempson this decade. Want to help? Stop bitching and talking about the truth of how clempson is getting the recruits they are. Its not because Dabo is some god. Rremember the late 70s and early 80s at clempson. it was just incredible. Remember why? The problem here this is not a gamecock forum. its a open forum where anyone can respond and several tater fans do. Moderators don't do anything to make this a gamecock board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT