ADVERTISEMENT

Leveque to transfer portal….

Gamecockben1979

Jun 5, 2017
We’ve literally nuked our basketball program. I know some are going to yawn and say we’re not missing much.

If Paris can replace it with better talent, they won’t be missed. If he can’t, we could resemble a YMCA team next year.

The portal works both ways. We will see what happens. Just about any coach hired, this would happen. Keeping Martin's mediocrity coaching regime, was not an option in my eyes.

Reactions: PC31
The portal works both ways. We will see what happens. Just about any coach hired, this would happen. Keeping Martin's mediocrity coaching regime, was not an option in my eyes.
We will see. I remember people saying the same thing about Odom and then came Horn. I hope this isn’t Horn 2.0

Fair enough. Time will tell
Its much easier to rebuild now because the portal has players with experience and they don't have to sit out a year. SC really, really didn't have quality big men. Leveque, while being big as a house wasn't effective in the paint and not athletic enough period for the SEC. Paris may have encouraged him to move on. I never thought of him as an SEC talent. But with that said Paris needs to get athletic bigs or we will be sunk.

Seems like Coach Martin is basically leaving us a sht show. @Heath Cline loves to bring up how much better Martins team is than the one the dastardly Horn left poor ole Frank, but looks to me like both are leaving disgruntled, empty teams. Heath likes to say the next coach won't inherit the mess poor Frank did. Starting to look like they will.
Feels like we spent 10 years going in a circle under Coach Martin. With one NCAA tossed in of course..........

Reactions: ForeUSC
Seems like Coach Martin is basically leaving us a sht show. @Heath Cline loves to bring up how much better Martins team is than the one the dastardly Horn left poor ole Frank, but looks to me like both are leaving disgruntled, empty teams. Heath likes to say the next coach won't inherit the mess poor Frank did. Starting to look like they will.
Feels like we spent 10 years going in a circle under Coach Martin. With one NCAA tossed in of course..........
This is an interesting take. I don’t know how much you can blame Martin. Of course if Frank is encouraging them to leave I could see where that would rub fans the wrong way. The reality is players are no longer stuck when there’s a coaching change. You find out real quick if there is buy in with the new coach or not. These guys still COULD return, but they are weighing other options.

Assuming all of these guys and Carter leave, unless we restock the roster this team could be worse than the one Horn left.

Its much easier to rebuild now because the portal has players with experience and they don't have to sit out a year. SC really, really didn't have quality big men. Leveque, while being big as a house wasn't effective in the paint and not athletic enough period for the SEC. Paris may have encouraged him to move on. I never thought of him as an SEC talent. But with that said Paris needs to get athletic bigs or we will be sunk.
We’re about to find out how easy it is to rebuild. Look at what’s left at this point…and I wouldn’t be surprised if half of what’s left leaves too

This is an interesting take. I don’t know how much you can blame Martin. Of course if Frank is encouraging them to leave I could see where that would rub fans the wrong way. The reality is players are no longer stuck when there’s a coaching change. You find out real quick if there is buy in with the new coach or not. These guys still COULD return, but they are weighing other options.

Assuming all of these guys and Carter leave, unless we restock the roster this team could be worse than the one Horn left.

As terrible as it is to see so many players leaving, isn't the number of departures still about on par for a Martin team in any given year?

We’re about to find out how easy it is to rebuild. Look at what’s left at this point…and I wouldn’t be surprised if half of what’s left leaves too
Apparently, that is what the loud mouth fans wanted and that's what they are getting. No need to cry about it now. With Tanner's incompetence when he has to hire any coach. He did the same BS when he hired WM. We keep talking about our disappointments with our coaches but we should be lobbying to get a new AD. RT needs to go. There were plenty of good MBB coaches to be had and look what we ended up with. Not to say that Paris can't be successful but the odds aren't real good. We missed out again on top notch coaches because of our AD. DON"T bash Paris, its not his fault, we need to put pressure on the BOT and RT .............We deserve better!!!

Apparently, that is what the loud mouth fans wanted and that's what they are getting. No need to cry about it now. With Tanner's incompetence when he has to hire any coach. He did the same BS when he hired WM. We keep talking about our disappointments with our coaches but we should be lobbying to get a new AD. RT needs to go. There were plenty of good MBB coaches to be had and look what we ended up with. Not to say that Paris can't be successful but the odds aren't real good. We missed out again on top notch coaches because of our AD. DON"T bash Paris, its not his fault, we need to put pressure on the BOT and RT .............We deserve better!!!
I tend to agree with a lot of what you’re saying. I’m not really bashing Paris, I’m just not on the other side of the bed with him like half the fan base is.

Paris may already know some of the players he expects to get through the portal. He could be encouraging some players to move on with the expectation that the more talented replacements will be here later. It's not fair to judge the roster based on the announcements of some of the players transferring.

Paris may already know some of the players he expects to get through the portal. He could be encouraging some players to move on with the expectation that the more talented replacements will be here later. It's not fair to judge the roster based on the announcements of some of the players transferring.
True. Eventually there will be a roster and we will be able to compare what we have with what we had. Then we will have a pretty good idea if these were good moves or bad moves.

We’ve literally nuked our basketball program. I know some are going to yawn and say we’re not missing much.

If Paris can replace it with better talent, they won’t be missed. If he can’t, we could resemble a YMCA team next year.
All THINGS that one should consider before he goes to DEFCON 1

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
No disrespect but I found your choice of the words "may" and "could" interesting. We nuked our program for what exactly?

So we replaced it with what? You see that is the entire problem. We don't even have a clue what we got.

Hammer meets Nail. If Ray didn't have something equal or better already lined up before then he should have kept what he had. Worse case we go another season with what we had, buyout is less and maybe someone else is available. Ray ended up yet again with his 4th (being kind) choice and I'd argue considerably overplayed at that to get him.

If I were in the JUST ROLE THE DICE mood then I'd have gone after McKie or someone at least so fans feels some optimism.

None of this however is about Paris. It's about an inept AD that should have been run out of town when we found out SOS told him a year before he left he was ready to go.

So we replaced it with what? You see that is the entire problem. We don't even have a clue what we got.

If you are asking what we replaced Martin with, I answered that yesterday @5:49 pm in the thread about Paris making $2.2 million. I don't feel like repeating myself. If you are asking what we are replacing players with, there's no way for me to know right now. Time will tell.

I was being tongue in cheek, but I'm not a fan of the timing either. I was hoping beyond hope that we had a chance at GG but can you imagine the pitch to him now? Building a team around him???
Here’s the pitch to GG. I know you loved Frank, but I’m not like him. I know you’ve heard everyone else is leaving but that will make you the man. Just go read the Gamecock Forum, I improved every year at Chattanooga. You’ll improve too, just sign right here.

We’re screwed.

It’s not 100% guarantee these guys all leave…they certainly might but at this point why jump to that conclusion?

Haha, well under typical portal situations I’d agree but I would speculate that the percentage is slightly higher under the scenario of it being a new coach.

who knows though, my hope is maybe one or two might decide to stay

One question.....what the sam hill did you expect was gonna happen? If you wanted FM gone, don't be on here Bit@#$^ now!

Like it or not Basketball and Football have always been big enough to have players get paid, and have legit free agency which is obviously different from the Horn era, where players left because he was awful. Players are going to literally transfer from and to USC every year until the NCAA decides to stop it. I still occasionally follow the Charlottesville paper, and I feel like Virginia had at least 4-5 leave recently and they’re reaching out to several more already in the portal, and Tony Bennett is not only going nowhere, he’s arguably the best HC in the last 10 years. I think all the transferring is lame personally, but it’s here to stay, coaching change or not.

Last edited:

Levique isn’t good enough to play on a YMCA team.

You know, just about every team in the nation that has replaced its coach, has had lots of players hit the Transfer Portal. Let's not pretend that South Carolina is alone and thus should have kept Frank Martin because of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT