ADVERTISEMENT

Lindy’s take on USC

redrogers

Nov 23, 2004
Summerville
In the”opposing coaches view “:
-On the team: SC has some talent but it’s not very disciplined.A lot of people got injured last year, which questions the S&C program....wilted in 4q vs. UGA. Vs. Clemson 56,34,56 last 3 years....supposed to be the biggest game.
-On WM: ...4th year, put up or shut up time. I think there are internal issues. But they have a chance to be better than last year.
Who are these opposing coaches, and what did WM say about one of our scheduled opponents? Lindy’s isn’t too bad, Phil Steele is best.
Don’t shoot the messenger, just letting you know what the casual fan is being fed around the southeast.

Reactions: Thigh Man
A coach on another team talking sht about Carolina??????
I love it! Looks like Coach Muschamp is starting to worry some of those punks.
Thank you Coach Muschamp.
Just like Coach Spurrier said, if they talking good about you it's because you are no threat to them. (Paraphrased)

Just like Coach Spurrier said, if they talking good about you it's because you are no threat to them. (Paraphrased)

I suppose they were really trashing Bama then.

Reactions: ddw1263 and Brace1
He's absolutely right about the lack of discipline and our S&C program.
Many of the injuries were of the type that no S&C program could have prevented, plus the fact they occurred primarily on one side of the ball, makes me believe that is a "shoot-from-the-hip" analysis that didn't bother to actually do any research.

Not impressed with the lack of discipline argument either....the only area that seemed to be a concern was at LB and, frankly, that is more of a speed and quickness issue. If it is talking about the defensive secondary, I'm guessing he didn't notice the number of freshmen we had playing....due to some of the aforementioned injuries.

I don’t think a Coach in the Southeastern Conference worries about Will Muschamp. What has he done in his career to strike fear into opponents? Absolutely Nothing, and that’s just being real about it!

These writers slay me with their fake knowledge of any particular team. They want you to believe they study ONLY your team and have all the answers. What exactly did he mean about lack of discipline? A team can have the best discipline in the league but without seasoned players it's useless when playing the other team. What does this guy know about our S&C program and if it caused the injuries, what is he some kind of pretend expert? How do you strengthen a shoulder or knee? Just line the hell up and play, forget all this magazine and so called expert BS.

I don’t think a Coach in the Southeastern Conference worries about Will Muschamp. What has he done in his career to strike fear into opponents? Absolutely Nothing, and that’s just being real about it!
Not even the 4 SEC teams we did beat last year worry? Nobody is concerned on who Muschamp did or didn't strike fear into in the past but a few. The guy has been here 3 seasons and what he does here is all that matters. Spurrier didn't leave him much to frighten teams with.

These writers slay me with their fake knowledge of any particular team. They want you to believe they study ONLY your team and have all the answers. What exactly did he mean about lack of discipline? A team can have the best discipline in the league but without seasoned players it's useless when playing the other team. What does this guy know about our S&C program and if it caused the injuries, what is he some kind of pretend expert? How do you strengthen a shoulder or knee? Just line the hell up and play, forget all this magazine and so called expert BS.
I might be wrong, but I don't think this was presented as the writer's opinion. I think it came from a coach of an opposing team.

Who wrote the article. Was it some 22 year old making about $25K a year?
When these magazines have opposing coach's opinions, they are totally made up. Why would any opposing coach talk to some pre-season magazine to downgrade an opponent? Does not make sense. Coaches are more worried about their own team than to try to help the circulation of a magazine that is about to slam their own team in a related article.

Not even the 4 SEC teams we did beat last year worry? Nobody is concerned on who Muschamp did or didn't strike fear into in the past but a few. The guy has been here 3 seasons and what he does here is all that matters. Spurrier didn't leave him much to frighten teams with.
Ok!’ We beat Missouri by 2, We beat Tennessee by 3, We beat Ole Miss by 4, and we dominated those smart kids from Nashville “Vanderbilt.” Eyeroll I’m sorry but I doubt the coaches of those teams sweat Will Muschamp’s Gamecocks; and you’re right the only thing that matters is what he’s done since he’s been in Columbia which hasn’t been ‘much” and rather we admit it or not, it’s the truth!

Ok!’ We beat Missouri by 2, We beat Tennessee by 3, We beat Ole Miss by 4, and we dominated those smart kids from Nashville “Vanderbilt.” Eyeroll I’m sorry but I doubt the coaches of those teams sweat Will Muschamp’s Gamecocks; and you’re right the only thing that matters is what he’s done since he’s been in Columbia which hasn’t been ‘much” and rather we admit it or not, it’s the truth!
He's done as much as Spurrier at this point give him time. BTW: In sports a 1 point win is as good as a 100 point win they count the same. JMO

Just remember, these are from opposing coaches, so not exactly an unbiased source. They do not have an incentive to push up another program.

So if you look at these things for other teams over time (I always look for them btw) if there is no threat, they are pretty glowing about the team. Then there is a large group that gets the beat down treatment like this. The final group is the teams that it looks silly beating up. Bama has been there for years. Clemson was getting beat up in these for years and just in the last year or two have they switched to glowing of them.

I will say that the questions on injuries and the 4th quarter are obvious points

Reactions: PC31
My take on USC for 2019:

Need to fix a run defense that ranked 13/14 in SEC for 2018. The USC run D gave up 199.5 yds/game and 2.2 rushing TD's per game, both of which barely beat Ole Miss. Opponents averaged almost 4.7 yards per carry. If that doesn't get fixed it wont matter what happens offensively. Ark, Mizzou, Tenn, KY, aTm, MSU and UF all had respectable run defenses, no reason SC should be so far behind all of those programs.

-On the team: SC has some talent but it’s not very disciplined.A lot of people got injured last year, which questions the S&C program....wilted in 4q vs. UGA. Vs. Clemson 56,34,56 last 3 years....supposed to be the biggest game.
-On WM: ...4th year, put up or shut up time. I think there are internal issues. But they have a chance to be better than last year.
Who are these opposing coaches, and what did WM say about one of our scheduled opponents? Lindy’s isn’t too bad, Phil Steele is best.
Don’t shoot the messenger, just letting you know what the casual fan is being fed around the southeast.
I think they make this crap up to sell their stuff. I don't believe any of it is true. It's nothing that anyone couldn't dream up at his/her keyboard.

The usual suspects are not upset with the article. They are outraged anyone would dare defend Carolina.
They live to trash all things Carolina...... pecking away 24/7 with their pants down.

9 wins in 2nd season, 7 wins in 3rd while having to play the waterboy because of injuries, This will be 95% his team in season 4 with the toughest schedule in history we'll see what he's really made of, and with a few upsets and an 8-9 win he could run for governor and win. Hell you won't find a HC with more knowledge and attention to details than WM. Plus he works 24/7 trying to expand our logo and bring South Carolina a winning tradition and he's already won more games than any coach ever in his first 3 yrs. I just hope he has learned from his mistakes and leads us to a natty. GO GAMECOCKS

Seems legit to me. We stunk last year and I can see a number of coaches seeing us and having these opinions.

From my limited view, I do not see a lack of discipline being our problem. We have, for the most part, been losing to teams with better talent. “ Our biggest game?” Tell me how many teams beat either Clemson or Georgia last year. I will help you out; between them, Two losses, only to GA. Clemson has one loss in two years. And we are losing only because of a lack of discipline.

I prefer to look at last years Lindy book. How much of their prediction was correct. I will give it to them. They did pick Clemson to win it all and Bama second. I could have picked that. Let’s see they had Miami number 7, Ohio State third on so on. I would be embarrassed if I were them, but nobody remembers that they know zip.

Line the hell up and play. Agreed.

But one thing Will Muschamp, unlike Steve Spurrier, is not known for his coaching genius. In fact it might be the opposite. Going into a game, even with underdog status, with Steve at the helm there was hope. Not now, at least for me. I am more concerned about how large the loss will be. Time for Will to beat a top opponent. High time.

Line the hell up and play. Agreed.

But one thing Will Muschamp, unlike Steve Spurrier, is not known for his coaching genius. In fact it might be the opposite. Going into a game, even with underdog status, with Steve at the helm there was hope. Not now, at least for me. I am more concerned about how large the loss will be. Time for Will to beat a top opponent. High time.
Dang SOS...Spurrier"s coaching genius had to do with a lot of good players they make every coach look brilliant. If I were you I wouldn't watch Muschamp's team play if they think that way friend. What ever Steve did like a genius he looked like a fool in the end. He did a good job before his "give a darn left". What's behind us ain't important we got Muschamp will have him for a while might as well get onboard and hope for the best. I don't care to reply to you upcoming reply I think I know where you stand.

Reactions: Lakecock1
i'm pretty sure the lack of discipline comment came from some of the really boneheaded penalties we had last year, but of course, I'm not a mind reader.

Name all the good players Spurrier had when he got here? You say Muschamp has done just as much as Spurrier did his first 3 years, and I disagree with that because, Spurrier’s first 3 years he beat 5 ranked teams, number 23 Tennessee, number 12 Florida, number 24 Clemson, number 11 Georgia, and number 8 Kentucky. In Muschamp’s first 3 years we’ve managed to beat one ranked opponent Tennessee in his first year here. Hopefully this year will be great for the team, fans, and University, and I hope Champ out-coach every one of our opponents, that would be amazing but right now he has a ways to go, and it’s a mighty stretch for you or anybody else to say he’s done as much as Steve Spurrier.

i'm pretty sure the lack of discipline comment came from some of the really boneheaded penalties we had last year, but of course, I'm not a mind reader.
I can remember back in the Carlin days when he talked about WR dropping passes he said that was a lack of discipline. We had far too many drops last season.

Name all the good players Spurrier had when he got here? You say Muschamp has done just as much as Spurrier did his first 3 years, and I disagree with that because, Spurrier’s first 3 years he beat 5 ranked teams, number 23 Tennessee, number 12 Florida, number 24 Clemson, number 11 Georgia, and number 8 Kentucky. In Muschamp’s first 3 years we’ve managed to beat one ranked opponent Tennessee in his first year here. Hopefully this year will be great for the team, fans, and University, and I hope Champ out-coach every one of our opponents, that would be amazing but right now he has a ways to go, and it’s a mighty stretch for you or anybody else to say he’s done as much as Steve Spurrier.
You may want to look at the teams rankings after the season. Some were not as good as the pollsters had them earlier in the season.

Reactions: Lakecock1
I believe we need to get over the Spurrier era and focus on the future, Spurrier is gone.

You may want to look at the teams rankings after the season. Some were not as good as the pollsters had them earlier in the season.
I have and some finished lower and a couple higher or around the same spot. They all finished ranked though except for maybe one of the teams. That Florida team won the BCS I think, and that Georgia team did finish 2nd. Anyway why are you trying to diminish those victories? Spurrier has his game face on and had his teams ready for most of the big games, something Muschamp has failed to do here are in Gainesville.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT