ADVERTISEMENT

Lindy’s take on USC

I have and some finished lower and a couple higher or around the same spot. They all finished ranked though except for maybe one of the teams. That Florida team won the BCS I think, and that Georgia team did finish 2nd. Anyway why are you trying to diminish those victories? Spurrier has his game face on and had his teams ready for most of the big games, something Muschamp has failed to do here are in Gainesville.
Really? Because a week or two ago, someone posted the end of season rankings and Muschamp actually had a slightly better record against them. Complete analysis....with links.

Spurrier hired the worst OL coach we've ever had off the bat and his first two DCs was no better than his last.

I believe we need to get over the Spurrier era and focus on the future, Spurrier is gone.
Of course he’s gone but you are the one who brought him up earlier in this thread to defend Muschamp, and you know there’s no comparison between him and Steve Spurrier. I hope he gets there and soon to tell you the truth, but I’m not as enthusiastic as you and many of our other fans. William has to show me he can get it done and so far in his career: I haven’t observed jack to show me he can lead a Championship team consistently!

Really? Because a week or two ago, someone posted the end of season rankings and Muschamp actually had a slightly better record against them. Complete analysis....with links.

Spurrier hired the worst OL coach we've ever had off the bat and his first two DCs was no better than his last.
well I would like to see that because Champs first 3 years have not been better then Spurrier’s. Now as far as coaching is concerned, I’ll give Champ the edge on that one. Spurrier had some awful coaches on his staff earlier in Columbia and on the end also. I think the Ball Coach got soft and would keep coaches way to long.

well I would like to see that because Champs first 3 years have not been better then Spurrier’s. Now as far as coaching is concerned, I’ll give Champ the edge on that one. Spurrier had some awful coaches on his staff earlier in Columbia and on the end also. I think the Ball Coach got soft and would keep coaches way to long.
Can you count?

Of course he’s gone but you are the one who brought him up earlier in this thread to defend Muschamp, and you know there’s no comparison between him and Steve Spurrier. I hope he gets there and soon to tell you the truth, but I’m not as enthusiastic as you and many of our other fans. William has to show me he can get it done and so far in his career: I haven’t observed jack to show me he can lead a Championship team consistently!
I got it but which championship did Spurrier leave with? I know he won games but even he had average seasons before he got the right players in just as Muschamp is doing. But, his last two seasons were 7-6 and 2-4 his first three he went 7-5...8-5...6-6. His 4th year was 7-6 before winning 11 games three years in a row. I'm not picking a fight Brace1 just pointing out facts about Spurrier and Boom. What he did at UF and Duke doesn't concern me any more than Muschamps past records. I'd be will to wager Muschamp goes better than 7-6 in his 4th year even with a tough schedule. JMO friend JMO.

9 wins in 2nd season, 7 wins in 3rd while having to play the waterboy because of injuries, This will be 95% his team in season 4 with the toughest schedule in history we'll see what he's really made of, and with a few upsets and an 8-9 win he could run for governor and win. Hell you won't find a HC with more knowledge and attention to details than WM. Plus he works 24/7 trying to expand our logo and bring South Carolina a winning tradition and he's already won more games than any coach ever in his first 3 yrs. I just hope he has learned from his mistakes and leads us to a natty. GO GAMECOCKS
how dare you defend our coach with facts...aint it amazing how so many want to jump on champ and I feel better about our situation than I ever have...even Clemson knew sos caught lightning in a bottle and wouldn't last long...champ is building for the long haul and any fans that cant see it don't wanna see it

I got it but which championship did Spurrier leave with? I know he won games but even he had average seasons before he got the right players in just as Muschamp is doing. But, his last two seasons were 7-6 and 2-4 his first three he went 7-5...8-5...6-6. His 4th year was 7-6 before winning 11 games three years in a row. I'm not picking a fight Brace1 just pointing out facts about Spurrier and Boom. What he did at UF and Duke doesn't concern me any more than Muschamps past records. I'd be will to wager Muschamp goes better than 7-6 in his 4th year even with a tough schedule. JMO friend JMO.
I think he could win 8 and a bowl game this year at least I hope. If he does that I say he’s on his way.

Name all the good players Spurrier had when he got here? You say Muschamp has done just as much as Spurrier did his first 3 years, and I disagree with that because, Spurrier’s first 3 years he beat 5 ranked teams, number 23 Tennessee, number 12 Florida, number 24 Clemson, number 11 Georgia, and number 8 Kentucky. In Muschamp’s first 3 years we’ve managed to beat one ranked opponent Tennessee in his first year here. Hopefully this year will be great for the team, fans, and University, and I hope Champ out-coach every one of our opponents, that would be amazing but right now he has a ways to go, and it’s a mighty stretch for you or anybody else to say he’s done as much as Steve Spurrier.
first off, where did those teams finish? and if that's the case what happened to sos in all those games we lost that year? its one thing to get a team fired up enough to pull out a win or 3, but if they were that good why was we losing 5 other games? that crap there flies less than what champ has done...sos caught lightning in a bottle and was able to win with defense not offense...our defense last year was the walking wounded

You know I was referring to Spurrier’s first 3 years against Muschamp’s first 3, so get outta here with that count garbage! Unbelievable
Spurrier's first 3 years, he was 21-16 overall, 11-13 in the SEC, with 2 bowl games. Muschamp was 22-17 overall, 12-12 in the SEC, with 3 bowl games. How have Champ's first 3 years been worse than Spurrier's?

So, again I ask....can you count?

Reactions: dssgateway1
Name all the good players Spurrier had when he got here? You say Muschamp has done just as much as Spurrier did his first 3 years, and I disagree with that because, Spurrier’s first 3 years he beat 5 ranked teams, number 23 Tennessee, number 12 Florida, number 24 Clemson, number 11 Georgia, and number 8 Kentucky. In Muschamp’s first 3 years we’ve managed to beat one ranked opponent Tennessee in his first year here. Hopefully this year will be great for the team, fans, and University, and I hope Champ out-coach every one of our opponents, that would be amazing but right now he has a ways to go, and it’s a mighty stretch for you or anybody else to say he’s done as much as Steve Spurrier.

Good stuff. Great observations. Spurrier’s first 3 years >>>>>> better than Muschamp’s first 3 years.

Reactions: Brace1
Spurrier's first 3 years, he was 21-16 overall, 11-13 in the SEC, with 2 bowl games. Muschamp was 22-17 overall, 12-12 in the SEC, with 3 bowl games. How have Champ's first 3 years been worse than Spurrier's?

Really. Beating the bottom of the barrel SEC teams is what Muschamp has specialized in. He has a losing streak against Clemson and even Kentucky. Time for Muschamp to put up in s big way. This is the season.

Reactions: ddw1263 and Brace1
Really. Beating the bottom of the barrel SEC teams is what Muschamp has specialized in. He has a losing streak against Clemson and even Kentucky. Time for Muschamp to put up in s big way. This is the season.
Spur also had losing streaks against a Bowden led Clemson team and a UK team that was unranked.

You looked over the fact that Muschamp coached in 2 more games than Spurrier didn’t you? So I ask you the same question can you count? And you know I’m talking about Spurrier’s significant wins those “3 years!” I would say that makes his first 3 years more successful than the coach who just got shellacked by a lower tier ACC team. Laughing

Reactions: SOSUSC
You looked over the fact that Muschamp coached in 2 more games than Spurrier didn’t you? So I ask you the same question can you count? And you know I’m talking about Spurrier’s significant wins those “3 years!” I would say that makes his first 3 years more successful than the coach who just got shellacked by a lower tier ACC team. Laughing
No, I didn't overlook it....I printed it. Spurrier had a losing SEC record and lost to a Vandy team that had a losing record....a LOSING record. And Spurrier didn't make a bowl in his third year. More successful? LOL.

first off, where did those teams finish? and if that's the case what happened to sos in all those games we lost that year? its one thing to get a team fired up enough to pull out a win or 3, but if they were that good why was we losing 5 other games? that crap there flies less than what champ has done...sos caught lightning in a bottle and was able to win with defense not offense...our defense last year was the walking wounded
That Florida team finished 12th and that Georgia team finished number 2 in the nation. The others finished outside the top 25 I think.

Reactions: SOSUSC
No, I didn't overlook it....I printed it. Spurrier had a losing SEC record and lost to a Vandy team that had a losing record....a LOSING record. And Spurrier didn't make a bowl in his third year. More successful? LOL.
He went 6-6 his 3rd year and you know they wasn’t giving out bowl games like they do now. If he went 6-6 today you know he would’ve got in so cut the BS! And yes he lost to Vanderbilt who had a losing record, but at least he could beat some good teams with “winning records” something Champ isn’t doing!

Yes you printed it but you didn’t point it out. If you wanted to be fair about it you would’ve said Champ coached in 2 more games.

Last edited:
In the”opposing coaches view “:
-On the team: SC has some talent but it’s not very disciplined.A lot of people got injured last year, which questions the S&C program....wilted in 4q vs. UGA. Vs. Clemson 56,34,56 last 3 years....supposed to be the biggest game.
-On WM: ...4th year, put up or shut up time. I think there are internal issues. But they have a chance to be better than last year.
Who are these opposing coaches, and what did WM say about one of our scheduled opponents? Lindy’s isn’t too bad, Phil Steele is best.
Don’t shoot the messenger, just letting you know what the casual fan is being fed around the southeast.
S waste of money. Lindy has been crap for years now and they used to be valuable commodities before fan sites took off. Too arbitrary and dependent on outdated material. Transfer portals are not included and many players do not even exist on teams at times. What internal struggles are supposed to be going on that they know about before us? Seriously? Waste of money

He went 6-6 his 3rd year and you know they wasn’t giving out bowl games like they do now. If he went 6-6 today you know he would’ve got in so cut the BS! And yes he lost to Vanderbilt who had a losing record, but at least he could beat some good teams with “winning records” something Champ isn’t doing!
No, the only difference was that Spurrier had a 3-5 conference record in his third year and fell outside the SEC's pecking order. Muschamp had a 4-4 record in his third year and fell within the pecking order.

Champ also isn't losing to the bad teams. Spur did what everyone used to laugh at Bowden for....win a big game, and then inexplicably lose to a bad one. Clemson then promoted Dabo...who initially simply won the games he was supposed to...didn't have a WTF type loss. Sound familiar?

Yes you printed it but you didn’t point it out. If you wanted to be fair about it you would’ve said Champ coaches in 2 more games.
I put the records....didn't feel the need to point it out. Do I also need to point out that one of the two games was because Spurrier failed to qualify for a bowl game that year?

No, the only difference was that Spurrier had a 3-5 conference record in his third year and fell outside the SEC's pecking order. Muschamp had a 4-4 record in his third year and fell within the pecking order.

Champ also isn't losing to the bad teams. Spur did what everyone used to laugh at Bowden for....win a big game, and then inexplicably lose to a bad one. Clemson then promoted Dabo...who initially simply won the games he was supposed to...didn't have a WTF type loss. Sound familiar?
I can’t dispute on this one. Good post!

Reactions: rogue cock
There aren't words for how this argument has been cherry-picked.

First off, where did the ONE ranked team Muschamp has ever beaten here finish?

Next, you obviously ignore the fact that Spurrier is the only coach in our history to win big games on a consistent level. So yes, it took him a while to get there. He also was trying to get us over our loser mentality that many of us still have.

Caught lightning in a bottle? That's what teams/coaches can do for a year or so. Not for 4-5, while also owning our record book.

Finally, our defense was crap before most of those injuries occurred -- at least against teams with a pulse.

This is 100% Muschamp's team going into year 4. He need to either beat good teams he isn't supposed to beat or go back to being a DC. No more blaming everything on Spurrier, and certainly no more excuses.

Many of the injuries were of the type that no S&C program could have prevented, plus the fact they occurred primarily on one side of the ball, makes me believe that is a "shoot-from-the-hip" analysis that didn't bother to actually do any research.

Not impressed with the lack of discipline argument either....the only area that seemed to be a concern was at LB and, frankly, that is more of a speed and quickness issue. If it is talking about the defensive secondary, I'm guessing he didn't notice the number of freshmen we had playing....due to some of the aforementioned injuries.

Clemson has a lot of young players too. Youth is not an excuse except for us

Lou Holtz left him some talent, he left Will Muschamp a walk on QB and a team that lost to the Citadel with Pharoh Cooper on the way out. Steve would have quit on Will Muschamp's 2015 team.

Lindy must have anonymously interviewed Dabo.

Lou Holtz left him some talent, he left Will Muschamp a walk on QB and a team that lost to the Citadel with Pharoh Cooper on the way out. Steve would have quit on Will Muschamp's 2015 team.

Lindy must have anonymously interviewed Dabo.
There was talent left on the team when Muschamp got here. I’m sure most of the players on that 9-4 team was from Spurrier’s era or recruited by him.

There was talent left on the team when Muschamp got here. I’m sure most of the players on that 9-4 team was from Spurrier’s era or recruited by him.
Who are you referring to? In the middle of his 1st season he made Jake Bently starter and they made a bowl then had a 9 win season. Spurrier bankrupt the program at the QB position and his scholarship QB transferred to James Madison and could not start there.

Reactions: redrogers
Clemson has a lot of young players too. Youth is not an excuse except for us
True. Every teams does to a certain extent. We just had a lot of true freshmen playing a one particular position due to injuries to upperclassmen. I would guess most if not all (with the exception of QB) of Clemson's young starters were at least redshirts if they were freshmen. Youth has been an excuse for Clemson before....and Alabama, etc. Everyone uses it, especially if they are forced to start an unusual amount of freshmen without much upperclass support.

Who are you referring to? In the middle of his 1st season he made Jake Bently starter and they made a bowl then had a 9 win season. Spurrier bankrupt the program at the QB position and his scholarship QB transferred to James Madison and could not start there.
I would consider Hayden Hurst, Deebo Samuel, Zack Bailey, Skai Moore, Taylor Stallworth, Chris Lammons, Bryson Allen-Williams, to be pretty good players. Basically that entire 2017 defense was left over from the Spurrier era. The problem was the guys wasn’t being coached up and our strength and conditioning program was complete garbage! But to say the team had nothing is false. SOS had definitely lost the team but he did leave some talent.

I would consider Hayden Hurst, Deebo Samuel, Zack Bailey, Skai Moore, Taylor Stallworth, Chris Lammons, Bryson Allen-Williams, to be pretty good players. Basically that entire 2017 defense was left over from the Spurrier era. The problem was the guys wasn’t being coached up and our strength and conditioning program was complete garbage! But to say the team had nothing is false. SOS had definitely lost the team but he did leave some talent.
Agree. Both Spurrier and Holtz left some talent on the roster...neither struck out on everyone they brought in...but neither left the cupboard anywhere close to full either. After Fitzgerald left, Spurrier's S&C program went downhill fast. That's one most people forget when talking about the bad hires in the last several years.

The thing that gets me is in Muschamp's 9 win season is how some want to argue who we beat that year were down. We finished 2nd in the east and besides would you really rather we lost to those teams and be in their spot? Would you really rather they had beaten us in what some claim was a down year for them? You can't have it both ways and you can't argue with the Spurrier adorers. I'm hoping Muschamp can do what Dabo has done to Danny Ford. Nobody talks about Danny at Clemson now days.

A coach on another team talking sht about Carolina??????
I love it! Looks like Coach Muschamp is starting to worry some of those punks.
Thank you Coach Muschamp.
Just like Coach Spurrier said, if they talking good about you it's because you are no threat to them. (Paraphrased)
CAN I GET AN AMEN?.....

Right spurrier gets credit
True. Every teams does to a certain extent. We just had a lot of true freshmen playing a one particular position due to injuries to upperclassmen. I would guess most if not all (with the exception of QB) of Clemson's young starters were at least redshirts if they were freshmen. Youth has been an excuse for Clemson before....and Alabama, etc. Everyone uses it, especially if they are forced to start an unusual amount of freshmen without much upperclass support.
well we can’t use youth every year. What will it be this year?

The thing that gets me is in Muschamp's 9 win season is how some want to argue who we beat that year were down. We finished 2nd in the east and besides would you really rather we lost to those teams and be in their spot? Would you really rather they had beaten us in what some claim was a down year for them? You can't have it both ways and you can't argue with the Spurrier adorers. I'm hoping Muschamp can do what Dabo has done to Danny Ford. Nobody talks about Danny at Clemson now days.

Your logic is baffling. Would we rather have lost to these teams? NO!!! But, you cannot escape the facts. Missouri was reeling when they played us. Later in the season got it together. UF was down (coach fired) and UT was down (Coach a nut job / fired). We escaped LaTech. These are facts.

Muschamp has the program back on the right track. Has done a nice job keeping a winning record despite what he inherited and has rebuilt a poor roster that was picked last in the division his 1st year and not much better his 2nd year. Also has made coaching changes when needed.

Has our team competitive with Florida and Texas AM and can beat them this season.

Good wins over programs like Tennessee, Florida, Missouri, and Michigan.

Not on the level with Clemson, Georgia, and Alabama but working hard to get there.

Now that we have the Ops building in place everything is coming together nicely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT