ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at the schedule, and if we play, I'm thinking we'd be lucky to go...

Normally, I'd agree. But other recruiters are already eating us for lunch. Muschamp has nothing he can realistically sell to recruits because everyone knows he's a lame duck coach.

The truth is he is not a lame duck. He is still in the running to be the SC coach for a few years in the future. As I said, a 9 win season will get him a contract extension. But, it could be we differ of what a lame duck means.

7-5 and Tanner gives Muschamp a raise in pay, and 2 or 3 more years on his contract.

I did a statistical trend analysis of the 2020 season, based on multiple points scored factors and multiple points scored against factors and here is what I came up with.

(W) USC 39 - Coastal 17
(W) USC 36 - ECU 22
(W) USC 29 - Mizzou 27
(L) USC 22 - UK 25 *
(L) USC 20 - UF 30
(W) USC 29 - Tenn 26
(L) USC 25 - TAMU 28
(W) USC 26 - Van 19
(L) USC 30 - UGA 30
(L) USC 21 - LSU 33
(W) USC 34 - Woff 16
(L) USC 24 - CU 45

* = Every year is seems the Gamecocks lose one game they shouldn't have, that will likely be the UK game. The last two time USC has gone to Lexington they have only scored 10 points in each of those away games (2018, UK 24 - USC 10 and 2016, UK 17 - USC 10).

That would be a final record of 6-6.

I see probably 6-6. Maybe 7-5 if things go perfect. 5-7 if they stub their toe somewhere they shouldn't. Same ole, same ole. Of course, they go 6-6, qualify for some jack leg bowl nobody cares about, and ths Ray gets to proudly proclaim that there was improvement that proves that his "stability" plan is working.

Reactions: Brace1
The truth is he is not a lame duck. He is still in the running to be the SC coach for a few years in the future. As I said, a 9 win season will get him a contract extension. But, it could be we differ of what a lame duck means.
Since his is not an elected position, I refer to a lame duck as 1.a person finishing a term of employment after a replacement has been chosen.

2. anything soon to be supplanted by another that is more efficient, economical, etc.

More so the second one, since we know a replacement hasn't been chosen. Yet.

Let's face it. The only reasons he's still here is because of Ray's incompetence as AD and the possible lost revenue from an abbreviated or cancelled football season.

Reactions: Brace1 and jonesz21
Since his is not an elected position, I refer to a lame duck as 1.a person finishing a term of employment after a replacement has been chosen.

2. anything soon to be supplanted by another that is more efficient, economical, etc.

Let's face it. The only reasons he's still here is because of Ray's incompetence as AD and the possible lost revenue from an abbreviated or cancelled football season.
Fact

Reactions: Legendary Cock
giphy.gif
Laughing I'm not insulted because I love Larry David and "Curb Your Enthusiasm". Thanks for the good laugh. Cheers, buddy.

Reactions: Brace1

In political vernacular “ Lame Duck” means someone is for sure leaving office. It creates a lessening of power due to the knowledge that he actually is leaving his position. Political opponents can temporarily stop his efforts, whereas they could be wasting there time if he can return. In politics, that’s a big difference. You can see how that differs from the situation of his possible return to power. Muschamp is not a lame duck. A good season retains his position. A lame duck is when he has been fired and is serving out the remainder of his contract. I think we might be saying close to the same thing. Ask your self if you think there is a political, power difference in actually being fired and might be fired.

In political vernacular “ Lame Duck” means someone is for sure leaving office. It creates a lessening of power due to the knowledge that he actually is leaving his position. Political opponents can temporarily stop his efforts, whereas they could be wasting there time if he can return. In politics, that’s a big difference. You can see how that differs from the situation of his possible return to power. Muschamp is not a lame duck. A good season retains his position. A lame duck is when he has been fired and is serving out the remainder of his contract. I think we might be saying close to the same thing. Ask your self if you think there is a political, power difference in actually being fired and might be fired.
That's why my my emphasis was on the second nonpolitical definition I posted. Many recruiters are now successfully able to convince that Muschamp's days are numbered -- whether official or not.

After eight years as HC, everyone has seen what they need to see. His offensive issues, inconsistent QB play, players' poor fundamentals and lack of discipline, ridiculous amount of injuries (not to mention lying about them) awful game day coaching, lack of killer instinct and lack of winning have all culminated in what we're seeing now.

Covid or no Covid, if Muschamp's still here for more than another year after more results like we've seen, the recruits won't be. And neither will the fans.

Seems to me that USC is typically good for beating 3 OOC stiffs, mizzou, vandy. I would predict at least one upset (UGA? UF? UT? LSU?). Haven't won in Lexington since 2012 and obviously the A&M / Clemson streaks persist. So, the best bet seems to be 6-6.

However, IMO, the wild card this year is the road (and home) crowds (or lack thereof). Is the LSU game that hard if it's only in front of 15,000-20,000 fans (or none at all)? Does the game in lexington get a lot easier b/c there are 1/4 of the normal fans in attendance? How about the home games...does the UT game go from a "should win" to a "tossup" b/c the home crowd is neutralized?

Either way, if this year has football, it will be one of the oddest seasons of our lifetime.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT