ADVERTISEMENT

LSU fans pissed at Dawn and her comments

Just like every discussion of race, those that bring up a legitimate question like this are branded as old white male bigots. We win with what we have and thats the ultimate goal. Thats fine. Im happy with that and i support the teams on floor success. That means the knee jerk racist bigot redneck white guy reaction doesn't hold water.
I go back and ask my original question. Since Dawn has been here why have we not landed a single Caucasian player that even sniffed a starting roll? You cant tell me that there were none that would have.
We are number one in the country so obviously what is being done is great but take off the blinders and think level headedly about the question.
And as far as a comparison to other sports, irrelevant. Take that up with the other sports.
Some of yall would rather just name call and assume because of simple mindedness instead of actually pondering the question and replying with a courteous thought out explanation. Pretty expected from some on here.
Facts don't matter in emotional arguments anymore and that goes for sports, race, politics, etc. Pretty much any aspect of life is now dominated by opinions, emotions, and ideals.

Just like every discussion of race, those that bring up a legitimate question like this are branded as old white male bigots. We win with what we have and thats the ultimate goal. Thats fine. Im happy with that and i support the teams on floor success. That means the knee jerk racist bigot redneck white guy reaction doesn't hold water.
I go back and ask my original question. Since Dawn has been here why have we not landed a single Caucasian player that even sniffed a starting roll? You cant tell me that there were none that would have.
We are number one in the country so obviously what is being done is great but take off the blinders and think level headedly about the question.
And as far as a comparison to other sports, irrelevant. Take that up with the other sports.
Some of yall would rather just name call and assume because of simple mindedness instead of actually pondering the question and replying with a courteous thought out explanation. Pretty expected from some on here.
It's a question which does not need to be asked. Regardless of sport, gender, etc.

I thought it was Ovaltine? Seriously she is going to be who she is and like all she has feelings that dictate her actions. I encourage her to do so as long as she doesn’t break any laws or rules whether I agree or disagree. I hear you loud and clear and Dawn is called to use her platform. So be it.

On the other hand she is one of the kindest, spiritual and caring people I have ever known. She is a philanthropist and an outstanding community leader for Columbia, SC, and for essentially all. And guess what. She’s a huge winner. I think a lot of y’all need to get over it. You can “vote” with your financial support for USC or your event attendance.
Among the reasons why she earns the salary she does.

Reactions: Whiterockcock69
It's a question which does not need to be asked. Regardless of sport, gender, etc.

It gets asked every day in all aspects of life. Usually in reverse however.

You are correct it doesn't matter if the best qualified are being selected.
Again the question is were there qualified white players that didnt sign here and was that because they were not recruited vigorously, wanted to play somewhere else more, or didnt like the atmosphere of our program? I dont know that answer.
If its the latter then thats a problem that needs to be addressed. After all... dawns all about inclusion right?

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I will not doubt your honesty or sincerity.

But please understand there are others on this board who despise DS while proclaiming to be Gamecock WBB fans. They were gleeful and ectastic when we lost to Mizzou. Go back and read the thread. They stir this pot seeking only to diminish her and not have a painful and open discussion about race and sport.

I cannot answer why anyone does or does not come to play for DS. Playing time, playing style, and depth chart always factor into the equation. Geography as well. Believe it or not some players go to schools because of LGBT concerns.

DS is notorious about being demanding of her players. For example until recently, once the season began social media was forbidden. NOBODY gets catered to. She brought in this freshman class and flat out told all of them, “you probably won’t start until your junior year.”
They came anyway.
Maybe some players opt out from here because they are “soft”. OT came here as a walkon when she had upward of 20 mid major offers. She came knowing she would only start one game, Senior Day. She came knowing she might never get a scholly. She came anyway.
DS is also famously loyal and protective. Players come back here. Look at what players who transferred in or out say about her.
DS is black and political. Do some players not consider us because of that? Probably. But she is upfront and honest. Do you want her to lie about who she is to get a recruit?

Here are some questions I have that I think MUST go hand with the question of why our roster is the way it is?

Does she vigorously recruit white players?
Yes!

Did this program have white players of note on the roster when she arrived?
No

Is DS wildly successful in recruiting talent to USC?
Yes

Are you happy with the product on the court?
Would you want your daughter to play for Dawn?
Why is it so important for some of the white men on this board to have white players on this team? Can’t answer because I want the best talent.... we already got it
Are the young women we recruit of high character as well as talent?

Facts don't matter in emotional arguments anymore and that goes for sports, race, politics, etc. Pretty much any aspect of life is now dominated by opinions, emotions, and ideals.

I find that many people that purport to stick to the facts are really giving their opinion on the facts and are just as emotional.

It gets asked every day in all aspects of life. Usually in reverse however.

You are correct it doesn't matter if the best qualified are being selected.
Again the question is were there qualified white players that didnt sign here and was that because they were not recruited vigorously, wanted to play somewhere else more, or didnt like the atmosphere of our program? I dont know that answer.
If its the latter then thats a problem that needs to be addressed. After all... dawns all about inclusion right?

Were there white players that didn't want to play for a black head coach? If so, this needs to be addressed by someone - somewhere

I will not doubt your honesty or sincerity.

But please understand there are others on this board who despise DS while proclaiming to be Gamecock WBB fans. They were gleeful and ectastic when we lost to Mizzou. Go back and read the thread. They stir this pot seeking only to diminish her and not have a painful and open discussion about race and sport.

I cannot answer why anyone does or does not come to play for DS. Playing time, playing style, and depth chart always factor into the equation. Geography as well. Believe it or not some players go to schools because of LGBT concerns.

DS is notorious about being demanding of her players. For example until recently, once the season began social media was forbidden. NOBODY gets catered to. She brought in this freshman class and flat out told all of them, “you probably won’t start until your junior year.”
They came anyway.
Maybe some players opt out from here because they are “soft”. OT came here as a walkon when she had upward of 20 mid major offers. She came knowing she would only start one game, Senior Day. She came knowing she might never get a scholly. She came anyway.
DS is also famously loyal and protective. Players come back here. Look at what players who transferred in or out say about her.
DS is black and political. Do some players not consider us because of that? Probably. But she is upfront and honest. Do you want her to lie about who she is to get a recruit?

Here are some questions I have that I think MUST go hand with the question of why our roster is the way it is?

Does she vigorously recruit white players?
Yes!

Did this program have white players of note on the roster when she arrived?
No

Is DS wildly successful in recruiting talent to USC?
Yes

Are you happy with the product on the court?
Would you want your daughter to play for Dawn?
Why is it so important for some of the white men on this board to have white players on this team? Can’t answer because I want the best talent.... we already got it
Are the young women we recruit of high character as well as talent?

Courteous response so thanks.
You assume its important to us white guys that we have white girls on the team. Not sure thats entirely true but if that's what you read into it ok.
There remains some reason we dont land the premier caucasion talent and that is talent that could improve the team. Thats all im saying.
I can name many examples of the opposite scenario in society where people go bananas over it and somehow thats justified.

There remains some reason we dont land the premier caucasion talent and that is talent that could improve the team. Thats all im saying.
I can name many examples of the opposite scenario in society where people go bananas over it and somehow thats justified.

Why can Caucasian talent improve the team and other black players can't?

Why can Caucasian talent improve the team and other black players can't?

Geezus man. On and on.
... any skin colored person can improve the team depending on that persons talent and contribution level.
Evidently in 10 years only non whites have met that criteria.
One would think with the inclusion platform Dawn might could have found at least a couple out there.

Geezus man. On and on.
... any skin colored person can improve the team depending on that persons talent and contribution level.
One would think with the inclusion platform Dawn might could have found at least a couple out there.

Considering there are many more elite black players than white ones

and some white ones might possibly not want to play at South Carolina, or for a black coach, or for a team loaded with all Americans

I can easily understand why most every player has been black.

But I am wondering if white women players just don't want to play for a black coach. Seems quite possible.

and some white ones might possibly not want to play at South Carolina, or for a black coach, or for a team loaded with all Americans

But I am wondering if white women players just don't want to play for a black coach. Seems quite possible.

I give up. Hope your night is good.

Courteous response so thanks.
You assume its important to us white guys that we have white girls on the team. Not sure thats entirely true but if that's what you read into it ok.
It clearly is important to some white guys on this forum(I am white) otherwise they would have not been bitching for so long. I do not put you in that category. But I find it curious that the only program that has some white male fans obsessed about racial makeup is coached by a black woman.
What I find just as curious is that the folks most worried about racial makeup DON’T ATTEND the games. Why is that? I would love to hear your guesses on that.
When our women play at the CLA it is, I dare say, the most harmonious racially integrated event held on a regular basis in this state. I am in section 114 down low. Around me is a checker board of black and white. More female than male. A gay male couple has seats in front of me. There is a clearly lesbian couple down a row to the left. I share season ticket with my friend J, an African American guy, who worked in the NBA for years. I knew Jim Sterk was lying about the N word being yelled at their players from the minute he opened his mouth. The place is way too integrated to put up with that nonsense.

I also found it intriguing that you absolutely ignored the questions that I linked to the discussion.
To not ponder those questions reduces your inquiry simply to race. It makes the smart ass in me want to ask, “Well how many white starters do we have to have to satisfy you?” It leaves out so much of what makes DS and This program top notch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamekem
It clearly is important to some white guys on this forum(I am white) otherwise they would have not been bitching for so long. I do not put you in that category. But I find it curious that the only program that has some white male fans obsessed about racial makeup is coached by a black woman.
What I find just as curious is that the folks most worried about racial makeup DON’T ATTEND the games. Why is that? I would love to hear your guesses on that.
When our women play at the CLA it is, I dare say, the most harmonious racially integrated event held on a regular basis in this state. I am in section 114 down low. Around me is a checker board of black and white. More female than male. A gay male couple has seats in front of me. There is a clearly lesbian couple down a row to the left. I share season ticket with my friend J, an African American guy, who worked in the NBA for years. I knew Jim Sterk was lying about the N word being yelled at their players from the minute he opened his mouth. The place is way too integrated to put up with that nonsense.

I also found it intriguing that you absolutely ignored the questions that I linked to the discussion.
To not ponder those questions reduces your inquiry simply to race. It makes the smart ass in me want to ask, “Well how many white starters do we have to have to satisfy you?” It leaves out so much of what makes DS and This program top notch.
You're conflating two issues.

You're right that some people criticize Dawn Staley in bad faith. However, that doesn't change the fact there may be a legitimate concern with the lack of diversity in our women's basketball recruiting.

Completely agree with your impression of the crowd. Very diverse. Very gentle and positive. Knowledgeable and thoughtful. Friendly too. I have noted this like you and find it very pleasant to be a part of. There are a number of older Caucasian men than young ones. Lots of seniors too. Great atmosphere. I love it and take diffyfks with me every chance I can.

I am proud of the team. Proud of the coach. And enjoy having something good to cheer about! Thanks Coach. You are absolutely the reason for this wonderful scene. Haters. Just move along. You’re wasting your time.

To not ponder those questions reduces your inquiry simply to race. It leaves out so much of what makes DS and This program top notch.
You're conflating two issues.

You're right that some people criticize Dawn Staley in bad faith. However, that doesn't change the fact there may be a legitimate concern with the lack of diversity in our women's basketball recruiting.
And you are latching on to one portion of a long conversation that was not addressed to you and that addressed those issues in another portion.

Geezus man. On and on.
To say Brea is "non white" shows your bigotry. Sad.

And you are latching on to one portion of a long conversation that was not addressed to you and that addressed those issues in another portion.

Because it’s the most important part of your entire conversation. There is a reason you’re trying to change the subject.

Because it’s the most important part of your entire conversation. There is a reason you’re trying to change the subject.
Well once again I wasn’t talking to you.

But since we are here. There is a reason you ignore the main points of what I said and you have no grasp of nuance. You are disingenuous and a troll.

In fact I think more than a few people on this board have recently called you a miserable troll.

If one person calls you something it could be just a difference of opinion. When multiple people call you something maybe you ought to pay attention. BUT having looked at your history, it is clear you relish being a troll and would rather bring heat than light to a topic.

The Buddha says “Just because some dumbass shoots arrows at you and misses..... you have no obligation to pick them up and stab yourself.”

Or as the moonshiner said to me 45 year ago when I accidentally walked up on his still in western NC..... “Son, you ought not be around here, why dontcha turn around and leave and forget how you got here.”

Hey! If you can’t accept our women’s basketball program for what it is and has achieved…turn your energy to the men’s basketball team…it is diverse…and what has that gotten them! I bet if we had a black men’s coach and black players…with a white player or two on the bench…and we’re in the top 5 in the nation…you would be standing in long lines to get tickets!!! You would not be on this forum complaining about where are our white players!!!

Hey! If you can’t accept our women’s basketball program for what it is and has achieved…turn your energy to the men’s basketball team…it is diverse…and what has that gotten them! I bet if we had a black men’s coach and black players…with a white player or two on the bench…and we’re in the top 5 in the nation…you would be standing in long lines to get tickets!!! You would not be on this forum complaining about where are our white players!!!
I'm a Frank Martin supporter. Our men's basketball program has made tremendous strides under his leadership. let us allow this season to play out before we cast judgement. I think we're going to have another successful season.

Reactions: winloseortie
I'm a Frank Martin supporter. Our men's basketball program has made tremendous strides under his leadership. let us allow this season to play out before we cast judgement. I think we're going to have another successful season.
I love Frank, I have gotten to know him some personally so my garnet colored glasses are on. He inherited a program that was a WV Dumpster fire from a coach who actively sabotaged the program on the way out. I know that is old news but it is the truth of where he started

I want him to win more and it is clear many have lost patience with him. He loves this University and Columbia. He ain’t no paycheck Muschamp. He is a very good coach who loves and develops his players. He has had so many things go askew that were out of control.... BB guns, injuries, Covid not once but twice. I want him to win and pull for him every game

Reactions: Platinumspur
Well once again I wasn’t talking to you.

But since we are here. There is a reason you ignore the main points of what I said and you have no grasp of nuance. You are disingenuous and a troll.

In fact I think more than a few people on this board have recently called you a miserable troll.

If one person calls you something it could be just a difference of opinion. When multiple people call you something maybe you ought to pay attention. BUT having looked at your history, it is clear you relish being a troll and would rather bring heat than light to a topic.

The Buddha says “Just because some dumbass shoots arrows at you and misses..... you have no obligation to pick them up and stab yourself.”

Or as the moonshiner said to me 45 year ago when I accidentally walked up on his still in western NC..... “Son, you ought not be around here, why dontcha turn around and leave and forget how you got here.”

That could be the case. However, the more likely answer is people call me a troll because they can't defend their argument.

As in the case here, I'm pushing back against your argument by highlighting the piece that undermines the rest of what you typed. Instead of being able to bridge that disconnect, you're resorting to ad hominem attacks because it's the only defense you can come up with at the moment. Calling someone a troll is much easier than admitting you're wrong.

I think the claims of supposedly wanting more white girls on the women's team would ring a big more true if it wasn't coming from some of the usual suspects that seem to have repeated issues with efforts of diversity in society at large.

Just saying....

IN other words, they are just upset that we have a lot of black women on the team, and they really believe Dawn discriminates against white players.

You just have to chalk such nonsense up to ignorance and a desire to transfer their anger onto Dawn.

Good points. As I stated in an earlier post on this thread, people have their individual preferences, and it's not our place to foist ours upon them.

Having stated that, it would appear to me to be shallow for a player to judge a potential coach solely on the basis of skin colour.

It's possible that many talented young black women see Dawn as a role model, and she may be in a better position in addressing racial issues they may encounter than Geno might. Not meant as a slight against Geno whatsoever.

But again, I go back to my original statement. I want our outstanding coach to recruit and sign the best available players. Player criteria include outstanding talent, a "team first" attitude, good character, compete well, represent USC well, and take academics seriously. Regardless of skin colour.

Are you ok? I admit, those drugs are terrible.

Oh lord Dawn has upset the lsu fan base and all 7k new lsu women's basketball fans 🙄. According to their comments Mulkey is taking over the sec and they have arrived. Even as far as guaranteed the next game is different.....think they don't realize we were missing players still. But they are probably right, next time will be different as it won't be a close match up. But tiger fans go eat a corndog and go listen to your new norther southern football coach give another ridiculous speech.

Tigerbait
Who cares what LSU fans think. Dawn is the GOAT. Thats it.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
probably too late.

Hopefully the white parents will address this problem with their daughters and ask them why they won't play for a minority coach.
If the parents need to do that then the parents didn't teach their daughters correctly in the first place. Hatred and bigotry are taught. You are not born with them.

Reactions: atl-cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT