ADVERTISEMENT

LSU game insights...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
Will keep these fairly short tonight, as the reasons that USC lost a close one in Baton Rouge are pretty evident.

The main issue on defense - missed tackles. Sure, LSU seemed at times to be more physical in the run game and their backs are definitely talented (and they have several they can utilize to stay fresh), but there were so many times when a USC defender seemed to have someone wrapped up only for the back to pick up several extra yards on second effort or just break the tackle outright. It's not something that was just limited to this game as there have been some issues with it all season, but this was probably the worst performance on the year in that department (and most magnified). The long LSU TD run that was a backbreaker for USC late in the game was the result of a missed tackle. USC took some bad angles and had some bad run fits, but the main issue was not being out of position, just not making the play.

LSU had a good gameplan offensively early on but they also made some surprising offensive calls that sort of baffled me (like the fade pass down deep in USC territory). Credit USC's defense for bowing up down in the red zone a few times again and coming up with some big stops, but the offense just couldn't come up with enough.

The good with the offense was that the sacks and negative plays that were taken were mostly, to my recollection the result of strong LSU coverage and holding the ball too long. LSU has a stout defensive line, and of course can rush the passer but USC did a pretty good job of picking them up, the backs as well when they blitzed.

I was surprised that USC didn't throw it more early in the game. Obviously the Tigers wanted to stop the run and make Connor Shaw win the game for USC. That was the reason I said in my Insider Breakdown that he had to have a very good performance for USC to win and unfortunately for the Gamecocks he had some key mistakes. The first interception was a big one on a drive that USC needed to go down and score on, but they turned it over there. Shaw made some very nice plays with some of his runs and passes (tossed a beautiful deep ball to Byrd he couldn't haul in), but there were just some mistakes that USC couldn't overcome. Everyone could have played better offensively, so don't think I'm pinning the game on Shaw.

USC has to find a way to get Ace Sanders the ball more on offense.

Jadeveon Clowney was very good again and gave a great effort against the run and the pass. LSU (wisely) max protected some when they passed early in the game.

USC's kickoff coverage was spotty for sure; on the second return that was a good one for LSU the Gamecocks had three defenders in place, but they had bad lane discipline and lost contain on the outside. There was not much going in the kickoff return category, either. USC's punt team continues to be good, led by Ace Sanders who is surely one of the best in the country.

Overall, a two point loss to LSU hurts, but everyone knew going in this was an incredibly difficult stretch for USC. Not only seven straight conference games, but three straight top-ten matchups and two on the road. This one at a place where the Tigers just really don't lose often at all, to be honest. USC didn't play its best and can't really afford another slipup if they're to win the East this season, sure. Overreacting to the loss by making all sort of grand proclamations is ridiculous, in my mind. LSU had not looked tremendous going into this game, but they are still a tremendously talented team playing at home with an extremely good defense. Did USC have opportunities? Yes, and it's a game they clearly could have won. LSU was just a bit better Saturday night.

This post was edited on 10/14 2:02 AM by Chris Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News