ADVERTISEMENT

Lsu womens basketball

One-shoe block.

angel-reese-lsu.gif

It may get worse next season with their #1 recruiting class and Van Lith ( if Mulkey gets her ).

Why? They won. They're in the spotlight. During the season all of the hype was about Aliyah Boston and the Gamecocks. If you want to avoid LSU hype right now, stop watching news on women's basketball.

Reactions: Jbouton2
They are overdoing the coverage of them and Iowa. If we had won, wouldn't be much coverage

They’re just playing off of the success of the championship game ratings. 9.9 million people watched (12.9 at its peak) - more than double than last year, and by far the most watched women’s game of all time. Give the people what they want - and for the week after that game it was LSU women’s basketball.

They are overdoing the coverage of them and Iowa. If we had won, wouldn't be much coverage
Wouldn't make a damn. There would be a trophy that couldn't be taken away, talk in some circles of a dynasty, and a coach tied for most national championships among active SEC coaches instead of merely half as many as the Dime Store Queen. What happened in Dallas was a disaster in terms of what might have been - a disaster.

Wouldn't make a damn. There would be a trophy that couldn't be taken away, talk in some circles of a dynasty, and a coach tied for most national championships among active SEC coaches instead of merely half as many as the Dime Store Queen. What happened in Dallas was a disaster in terms of what might have been - a disaster.
Can't argue with that, I wouldn't say we got less coverage through the season or would have gotten less coverage if we had won, seems like we were just portrayed as the team to beat, as we were and they played us up as the villan which they should, they're wanting a story for more eyes on the games and I think they got it! As far as Angel and Caitlan, they will play that up as much as they can, more attention more NIL money, simple as that!

Reactions: king ward
Can't argue with that, I wouldn't say we got less coverage through the season or would have gotten less coverage if we had won, seems like we were just portrayed as the team to beat, as we were and they played us up as the villan which they should, they're wanting a story for more eyes on the games and I think they got it! As far as Angel and Caitlan, they will play that up as much as they can, more attention more NIL money, simple as that!
I'm looking at this strictly from the historical perspective. It was, and will ever be, exceedingly tragic from the legacy standpoint. People who don't see that just prefer denial, which isn't uncommon.

I'm looking at this strictly from the historical perspective. It was, and will ever be, exceedingly tragic from the legacy standpoint. People who don't see that just prefer denial, which isn't uncommon.
Even after the loss, I still disagree. Of course, it's an extremely disappointing loss. However, you're acting like Dawn Staley is finished. We are not a favorite next year. However, we all know that favorites don't win all the time in the tournament. We will probably be a Sweet 16 team next year. Let's say our young kids gel more than expected and we are right back in the Final Four next year and we happen to win. It would have been great to have won three in a row, but most fans will forget all about last year. My issue is that you are writing a Final Story on Dawn's program while she is the prime of her career. You have to take the good with the bad. We were not expected to beat UConn if we met in 2017. The tournament worked it's magic and we didn't have to play them. We have to accept when the tournament upset magic works against us.

Last edited:
Even after the loss, I still disagree. Of course, it's an extremely disappointing loss. However, you're acting like Dawn Staley is finished. We are not a favorite next year. However, we all know that favorites don't win all the time in the tournament. We will probably be a Sweet 16 team next year. Let's say our young kids gel more than expected and we are right back in the Final Four next year and we happen to win. It would have been great to have won three in a row, but most fans will forget all about last year. My issue is that you are writing a Final Story on Dawn's program while she is the prime of her career. You have to take the good with the bad. We were not expected to beat UConn if we met in 2017. The tournament worked it's magic and we didn't have to play them. We have to accept when the tournament upset magic works against us.
See, such distortions of a person's position render intelligent conversation impossible. As for 2017, you know very well that UConn that year was not as dominant as we were this year. They were simply a team you'd prefer not to play.

Ultimately, the national championship was won this year by a team we vaporized, who in turn vaporized the team we lost to. Inexcusable.

And it wasn't the 41 points Clark scored that was inexcusable and certainly not the 77 they scored as a team. It's the 73 WE scored that was inexcusable. It's our coming short despite indisputable physical superiority that is inexcusable.

With due respect to Phi Slama Jama or UNLV in the men's game, there is not likely to ever be a worse non-achievement of destiny in WBB than what we just witnessed. 36-0. Winning another national championship soon would assuage it, but not erase it. But even that remains speculative until we do it.

Last edited:
See, such distortions of a person's position render intelligent conversation impossible. As for 2017, you know very well that UConn that year was not as dominant as we were this year. They were simply a team you'd prefer not to play.

Ultimately, the national championship was won this year by a team we vaporized, who in turn vaporized the team we lost to. Inexcusable.

And it wasn't the 41 points Clark scored that was inexcusable and certainly not the 77 they scored as a team. It's the 73 WE scored that was inexcusable. It's our coming short despite indisputable physical superiority that is inexcusable.

With due respect to Phi Slama Jama or UNLV in the men's game, there is not likely to ever be a worse non-achievement of destiny in WBB than what we just witnessed. 36-0. Winning another national championship soon would assuage it, but not erase it. But even that remains speculative until we do it.
Exactly. LSU did what we couldn't do. Beat a team with inferior talent. Clark was the only player that would play on our team. If we make our foul shots and just one of the many wide open 3's that we missed we win the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward

Actually I think your attitude infiltrated the team and is one of the reasons we lost. After Boston got those two fouls, she was tight and didn't play like herself. Cooke, after a great first half, became tight late and had uncharacteristic turnovers, one where she threw the ball to spectators in the stands down one. That's what teams that succumb to pressure do sometimes. Further, this team, for all the talk about depth, was simply not as good as the 2021-2022 team. We never solidified the PG position and we didn't have that second perimeter shooter with Henderson gone. Beal stepped up some, but she never became confident enough to take a high volume of perimeter shots. Therefore, our bigs had to play with five defenders around them at all times. We worked through it everyime until the Iowa loss. So, as good as this team was, it had a flaw that could be exposed and that happened. I think we all got ahead of ourselves with the dynasty talk. You are only a dynasty until after you win a couple and we hadn't done that yet. So, now we move forward. Maybe another group can get done what the Freshies could not. Of course, this loss will be a stain. However, upset losses happen if you coach long enough and are nothing that can't be overcome. So, it's your choice of words probably that I take issue with. Irredeemable? A team should never play or think like that. Any team can be beat in a one game scenario especially if you are playing tight and think about what people will think if you lose. You know this is not our first rodeo when it comes to approach to sports. So, no big deal.

Actually I think your attitude infiltrated the team and is one of the reasons we lost. After Boston got those two fouls, she was tight and didn't play like herself. Cooke, after a great first half, became tight late and had uncharacteristic turnovers, one where she threw the ball to spectators in the stands down one. That's what teams that succumb to pressure do sometimes. Further, this team, for all the talk about depth, was simply not as good as the 2021-2022 team. We never solidified the PG position and we didn't have that second perimeter shooter with Henderson gone. Beal stepped up some, but she never became confident enough to take a high volume of perimeter shots. Therefore, our bigs had to play with five defenders around them at all times. We worked through it everyime until the Iowa loss. So, as good as this team was, it had a flaw that could be exposed and that happened. I think we all got ahead of ourselves with the dynasty talk. You are only a dynasty until after you win a couple and we hadn't done that yet. So, now we move forward. Maybe another group can get done what the Freshies could not. Of course, this loss will be a stain. However, upset losses happen if you coach long enough and are nothing that can't be overcome. So, it's your choice of words probably that I take issue with. Irredeemable? A team should never play or think like that. Any team can be beat in a one game scenario especially if you are playing tight and think about what people will think if you lose. You know this is not our first rodeo when it comes to approach to sports. So, no big deal.
Shake it; bake it; saute it; process it however you like. It comes out the same in any case: ignominious and irremediable, given our intrinsic superiority.

Shake it; bake it; saute it; process it however you like. It comes out the same in any case: ignominious and irremediable, given our intrinsic superiority.
?????? Just putting out there that you and others were overrating this team. I tried to tell you prior to the Sweet 16 game against UCLA. They laid the Blueprint on how to play us. However, you thought this team was unbeatable and paid no attention to some of the whispers that people who actually watched every game were trying to put out there. We had a lot McDonalds All-Americans, but was this team really well-rounded? I and a law school classmate of mine were weary of the lack of perimeter shooting despite all the wins. It came back to bite us. You should of seen it when Dawn put Olivia Thompson in the heat of a Final Four game when she hadn't played 50 minutes all season. She was searching for someone to make a shot. Maybe that will be a lesson in recruiting to round out your team with 2-3 shooters.

Last edited:
?????? Just putting out there that you and others were overrating this team. I tried to tell you prior to the Sweet 16 game against UCLA. They laid the Blueprint on how to play us. However, you thought this team was unbeatable and paid no attention to some of the whispers that people who actually watched every game were trying to put out there. We had a lot McDonalds All-Americans, but was this team really well-rounded? I and a law school classmate of mine were weary of the lack of perimeter shooting despite all the wins. It came back to bite us. You should of seen it when Dawn put Olivia Thompson in the heat of a Final Four game when she hadn't played 50 minutes all season. She was searching for someone to make a shot. Maybe that will be a lesson in recruiting to round out your team with 2-3 shooters.
Even overrated, a problematic characterization at best, we were too good to lay this bomb. We were the best team there. It's not even arguable. Some people are looking to rationalize this debacle in order to construct a defense mechanism. It cannot be done credibly.

Even overrated, a problematic characterization at best, we were too good to lay this bomb. We were the best team there. It's not even arguable. Some people are looking to rationalize this debacle in order to construct a defense mechanism. I get it. People have to cope, but it cannot be done credibly.

Even overrated, a problematic characterization at best, we were too good to lay this bomb. We were the best team there. It's not even arguable. Some people are looking to rationalize this debacle in order to construct a defense mechanism. It cannot be done credibly.
....and a team that couldn't shoot. It should be a lesson instead of saying it is an irredemable loss. You can't bully your way to a win everytime.

....and a team that couldn't shoot. It should be a lesson instead of saying it is an irredemable loss. You can't bully your way to a win everytime.
If we could do it 36 straight times, we should have been able to do it 37, especially if it meant beating a team that was subsequently exposed, actually had already been exposed six times and wound up being exposed seven. Come on, now.

If we could do it 36 straight times, we should have been able to do it 37, especially if it meant beating a team that was subsequently exposed, actually had already been exposed six times and wound up being exposed seven. Come on, now.
When you are poor in a major area like perimeter shooting, it is going to come back to bite you at some point. It just happened to us at the worst time. I had my fingers crossed that we would get away with it. Didn't get away with it. We have a couple of kids that I think can shoot the ball. They just have to get their consistency up. You need at least two kids hitting 35% of their 3 point shots, and even then, you can have an off night and be vulnerable. We had Zia this year. Beal, also, hit over 35%, but she didn't take enough shots for teams to really respect her as a threat. I think Raven can get there. I, also, like Talaysia's shot and think she can get there. They just have to put the repetition in to get there. Hopefully, Caitlin Clark disrespecting Raven's ability to shoot will spur her on to improve her shot. It definitely had a good short term effect as Raven hit 3 big 3 pointers in the Second Half of the Iowa game. However, 21% for the year is not going to cut it. That makes you vulnerable for upsets. Of course, we have the bigs. Still have them as I think Sania Feagin and Ashlynn Watkins will shock some people next year. With that said, those bigs didn't have the 3 point shot that we needed for the 2022-23 team. That book is closed and, although this year ended with bitter disappointment, they still made a Final Four appearance. You can't take that lightly when we have only made one of those in the history of the men's side. Our guards just need to get in the gym and start putting in at least 400-500 makes a day from distance. That will round out this team and give our bigs some room to work inside.

Last edited:
When you are poor in a major area like perimeter shooting, it is going to come back to bite you at some point. It just happened to us at the worst time. I had my fingers crossed that we would get away with it. Didn't get away with it. We have a couple of kids that I think can shoot the ball. They just have to get their consistency up. You need at least two kids hitting 35% of their 3 point shots, and even then, you can have an off night and be vulnerable. We had Zia this year. Beal, also, hit over 35%, but she didn't take enough shots for teams to really respect her as a threat. I think Raven can get there. I, also, like Talaysia's shot and think she can get there. They just have to put the repetition in to get there. Hopefully, Caitlin Clark disrespecting Raven's ability to shoot will spur her on to improve her shot. It definitely had a good short term effect as Raven hit 3 big 3 pointers in the Second Half of the Iowa game. However, 21% for the year is not going to cut it. That makes you vulnerable for upsets. Of course, we have the bigs. Still have them as I think Sania Feagin and Ashlynn Watkins will shock some people next year. With that said, those bigs didn't have the 3 point shot that we needed for the 2022-23 team. That book is closed and, although this year ended with bitter disappointment, they still made a Final Four appearance. You can't take that lightly when we have only made one of those in the history of the men's side. Our guards just need to get in the gym and start putting at least 400-500 makes a day from distance. That will round out this team and give our bigs some room to work inside.
I join you in hoping for future successes. I expect this program will continue to compete under Dawn's tutelage at the highest levels. As far as this past season is concerned, it will be widely regarded by posterity as a glaring case of unrealized destiny. No amount of analytical hindsight, however determined, will change how the WBB world will regard it. Sorry.

I join you in hoping for future successes. I expect this program will continue to compete under Dawn's tutelage at the highest levels. As far as this past season is concerned, it will be widely regarded by posterity as a glaring case of unrealized destiny. No amount of analytical hindsight, however determined, will change how the WBB world will regard it. Sorry.
They can view it how the wish. We weren't good enough when it mattered and just another example of Championships are not won on paper.

They can view it how the wish. We weren't good enough when it mattered and just another example of Championships are not won on paper.
Oh, we knew that all the time. The tragedy of this team that had gone 36-0 and mostly subdued opponents the way the gator drags its kill to the bottom is nonetheless undiminished - and always will be.

It was a tough loss but it's not as a deal as some are making it.

We had a terrific year. Everyone outside of a few understand that.

It was a tough loss but it's not as a deal as some are making it.

We had a terrific year. Everyone outside of a few understand that.
It will look the same in 10 years as it does now. The emotions won't be as raw but the facts will remain. It will abide as a serious detraction, a calamitous thud in what had been an upward arc. That's as politely as I can put it. We tripped on a big step leading to a higher plateau. We tripped badly. This cannot be reasonably denied.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT