ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Doty

Hope Luke sticks it out. But wouldn’t be shocked to see him in the portal soon. I have no inside info. Just wondering what he must be thinking today.
Rattler hasn't won the job yet, Luke at least has to try to challenge for it this Spring, in his position I'd try to see for next year goes but I think he should at minimum give himself a chance this spring. Brown, I say whatever he thinks is best, of he wants to fight here he can, if he wants to go where he knows he can play, I won't blame him.

Reactions: rogue cock
Brown came in out of shape and that held him back early on. Hopefully Rattler will come in shape and ready.

Doty has a once-in-a-lifetime chance to compete with and (likely) back-up a generational talent at QB. Doty was rushed into service and just like QBs before him (Helinski, Bentley) it was detrimental to his development. I hope he sees the benefit of being able to compete with and/or back-up someone like Rattler, who will likely be here one year tops anyway.

I know the coaches have to massage the truth here and spin as just adding QB depth and there’s gonna be competition and all that, but everyone knows the truth. You don’t go out and get Rattler if you think your current QBs can do the job.

Doty’s wisest move for his long-term development is take the year to be a backup and learn.

Brown will not likely see the field and should transfer. As he’s only got 1 year left, there’s no advantage to us playing him.

I know the coaches have to massage the truth here and spin as just adding QB depth and there’s gonna be competition and all that, but everyone knows the truth. You don’t go out and get Rattler if you think your current QBs can do the job.

Doty’s wisest move for his long-term development is take the year to be a backup and learn.

Brown will not likely see the field and should transfer. As he’s only got 1 year left, there’s no advantage to us playing him.
I guess the wild card is Gauthier. If he should emerge as the backup to Rattler then Doty should consider a position change or transfer.

Reactions: Lakecock1

I agree with the first part. Rattler has 3 years of eligibility left. Not that he likely plans on staying more than a year or two at the most, but it deters those that want to play immediately from staying.

Doty was never ready and played out of necessity. The question is can he swallow his pride and stay knowing he’s a backup if he remains at QB. I agree he’s got athleticism to move elsewhere, but most QBs are reluctant to make that move.

I don’t know that I agree about Brown. He could transfer and maybe this year boosted his stock. However he is well liked by his teammates and is only one injury away from being the starter again. He was better than Doty and Doty may bolt anyway. It really just depends on if he wants to hit the reset button elsewhere or if he just wants to stay put.

I think Brown is just happy to be on an SEC roster. I do agree that Luke should stay and he is one play away from starting and could possibly be the QB in 2 years. No way Luke is beating our Rattler for the job this year.

Doty has a once-in-a-lifetime chance to compete with and (likely) back-up a generational talent at QB. Doty was rushed into service and just like QBs before him (Helinski, Bentley) it was detrimental to his development. I hope he sees the benefit of being able to compete with and/or back-up someone like Rattler, who will likely be here one year tops anyway.
Rattler is a great addition to SC but "generational talent"?

Heck even if you truly do think your QB room is fine, you STILL add a kid of his talent to you room. Does nothing but help

I agree. Rattler has won the starting job. And we better all hope this is the case. None of this "well, I just want the best QB to start" nonsense. If Rattler isn't head and shoulders better than what we had for QB play last year, then he's a bust.

Rattler will be QB1 by default.

That leaves Doty, Brown, Gauthier and Davis to battle it out for backup. There's little long-term advantage to us for having Brown as the backup. He's only got 1 year left, so unless he's just markedly better than Doty, it just doesn't make sense.He appeared to be some better than Doty this season, but Doty was never playing 100%. So I see Doty emerging as the backup.

That leaves Gauthier and Davis battling it out for 3rd string.

I would bet the farm on Brown transferring. He's probably not an SEC caliber QB, but he could do quite well at a G5 program. He's not going to start here this year, so if he has any desire to play, then he needs to jump down a bit.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Rattler hasn't won the job yet, Luke at least has to try to challenge for it this Spring, in his position I'd try to see for next year goes but I think he should at minimum give himself a chance this spring. Brown, I say whatever he thinks is best, of he wants to fight here he can, if he wants to go where he knows he can play, I won't blame him.
So you're saying it's not too early to start a "Bench Rattler, Start Doty" thread?

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
He is good but better than Dylan Thompson...Connor Shaw? I think Rattler is a big, and necessary upgrade for you guys but you gotta remember, he lost his starting job this year.
He lost it to a guy who was also a stud QB. We’ve never had a QB that has this type of ability. Ever. Rattler was also National Freshman of the Year 2 years ago. As i pointed out in another thread, most places Rattler would’ve continued to be the QB and work out the struggles. Only because there was someone close to him in talent and ability was he benched. And it appeared it wasn’t just Rattler as he struggled a bit at times too.

Reactions: SLODAWG
You guys still preaching the Doty gospel, God bless ya. Y'all keep clinging to the "not 100%" hope, talking about "develop" etc, but the truth is that he's the same as Hilinski; all hype, no bite. Neither of those dogs will hunt; Ryan proved it at Northwestern, Doty proved it last year, the spring, and this year up to the stench fest of the Vandy game. I'll go so far as to say if Satterfield goes, Doty won't see the field here as a QB again.

For that reason, I don't see Brown going anywhere and I'm now kind of curious about the QB commit from up north now also, what he will do. Gauthier is a wild card; would really have liked to have seen him some this year.

I'm more curious right now about who's going to QB the bowl game .

Gauthier can be a very good QB if he is given time to hone his craft. He wasn't played this year because throwing him in the fire would have done more harm than good. Give him time. Doty has the physical tools but needs some passing game coaching to achieve his potential. With Rattler on the team we can now let Doty heal and Gauthier learn so when Rattler leaves they will be ready if they don't transfer.

Reactions: DeBoer31
He is good but better than Dylan Thompson...Connor Shaw? I think Rattler is a big, and necessary upgrade for you guys but you gotta remember, he lost his starting job this year.
Caleb Williams is a stud. They were calling for him before the Texas game. Rattler was still undefeated and they were chanting " We Want Caleb " .. They werent happy that the games were a close as they were. The Tulane game was like 40-35... he put up 40 points.. thats more on the defense if you ask me. He has a bad game against Texas and Williams comes in and lights it up. I dont know if id say hes better than Connor Shaw, that remains to be seen but id think its a safe bet to assume hes better than Dylan Thompson. Regardless, hes definately the best QB prospect weve had since Stephan Garcia

Doty is not a quitter and he will just work harder. He likes the competition and is a solid Gamecock and isn't going anywhere. It's just a new challenge.
THIS!!! This is an absolutely AWESOME situation for Doty!! He gets another year to heal up AND gets to backup and learn from an absolutely ELITE QB talent. This could end up resulting in a transformation in confidence for this young QB. LUKE, if you read this - YOU HAVE THE COMPLETE SUPPORT OF THE ACTUAL GAMECOCKS FANS (who are drastically outnumbered by Clemson fans with nothing better to do with their time).

This is GREAT for Doty!!!!

Luke honestly has the athleticism to move to reciever. They tried him there last year for a bit until they needed him at QB. He may want QB but I see him as a team player and moving to reciever and being a Hunter Renfrow type with more speed.
Renfrow ran 4.5's at the combine which was faster than I expected. He is also #5 in NFL in receptions, just saw this today on Yahoo fantasy. But best time I see for Doty is in the 4.6's. I doubted Doty was faster so I looked it up. Doty is 3-4" taller than Renfrow which could be good or bad. Renfrow probably is the best route runner in NFL with great hands. Point being, just because someone is athletic doesn't mean they are the next Renfrow, he is somewhat of a freak. If it was so easy, I think Joyner could have had better chance to be a Renfrow and you see that transition hasn't been seemless.

Renfrow ran 4.5's at the combine which was faster than I expected. He is also #5 in NFL in receptions, just saw this today on Yahoo fantasy. But best time I see for Doty is in the 4.6's. I doubted Doty was faster so I looked it up. Doty is 3-4" taller than Renfrow which could be good or bad. Renfrow probably is the best route runner in NFL with great hands. Point being, just because someone is athletic doesn't mean they are the next Renfrow, he is somewhat of a freak. If it was so easy, I think Joyner could have had better chance to be a Renfrow and you see that transition hasn't been seemless.
Hopefully you really didn’t see what I said as an insult to renfrow. If you did well you have orange tinted glasses. Also a 40 time isn’t the same as on field speed. Renfrow was great and would love to have one like him and I think Doty if needed would fill that role.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT