ADVERTISEMENT

Mac Brown is a BONEHEAD

No he wasnt. And starting this thread is a revealing fact as to why you don't, can't, won't, and couldn't coach. He had the #1 team on the ropes. His defense, that has hardly any depth, and none in the secondary was totally gassed. He had zero choice but to roll the dice and try to win it in one play. Unless he just wanted to say, we went to overtime. But he went for the win in what was the path that gave them the best odds.

Look, the thread reveals an easy mark in Mack Brown, high caliber coach yet also the guy who ran TX. into the dirt. The decision was questionable, certainly arguable and worthy of creating this thread. Seeing Mack Brown sweat is compelling, witnessing the Longhorn decade of misery...priceless.

If I am calling the game, I pull a Tom Osborne only I eviscerate Dabo's manhood, put them away with the 2 pt. conversion and assure an easier path for Notre Dame to the playoff.

Why in the world would any coach not go the one point. I think any reasonable coach with any degree of football knowledge would have when for the point after with 1:17 remaining. My gosh, any coach would have known that it would have been hard to make the two point conversion against strong defensive team like quempsum. And with 1:17 remaining any reasonable coach would have known their team was not getting the ball back.
He which hath no stomach to this fight, Let him depart. --he played to win

He which hath no stomach to this fight, Let him depart. --he played to win

That is not one and the same. He that hath no stomach to this fight, Let him depart. That does not rule out using brains. Yes, one has to have a stomach for the fight but one also has to use brains to put himself in a position to fight longer and win.

That is not one and the same. He that hath no stomach to this fight, Let him depart. That does not rule out using brains. Yes, one has to have a stomach for the fight but one also has to use brains to put himself in a position to fight longer and win.
you can't have it both ways...always easy to armchair the last call if it doesn't go your way...I like him playing loose and going for it...go for the win right now...yep, yep..

Reactions: howard13
Going for 2 and FAILS mightily.

Mac barely has a starting 22. He has 4 DBs that can actually play in a game and one was cramping up. If that game goes to OT the Tarheels defense caves in, guaranteed. While Clemson’s defense was getting stronger, as the game went on, uncs was showing signs of cracking. Unc needed multiple fourth down conversions to move the ball and score their final TD with the chance for the go ahead 2 pointer. I thought it was a great call by Mack.

I’m sure most casual fans would love to have seen it go to OT so they could trash all the clemsonites about a 2-3 team taking them to OT. OT gives Mack an awesome moral victory for college football to talk about at the water cooler, but unc doesn’t win the game if it goes to OT. Their best chance of a victory was right there on the 2 yard line going for the 2 pt conversion.

Hats off to unc and Mack Brown. Hell of a game, and hell of a team he has put together in just 8 months. That unc team is getting better every week, they are going to be a tough out for people in the future.

Last edited:
AT home you kick the XP

Stupid Call, didnt like it as they were trotting out and then didnt like what they called, running a option to XT's side, one thing XT has is sideline to sideline speed to blow something up, dumb call

Reactions: roosterbell
I don't know about the play, but I liked the call. If it works, they pull off the biggest win in school history. If they lose, they go down fighting while serving notice to Clemson and the rest of the conference that UNC is in it to win it.

I have always liked Mack and had coach envy his first time around at UNC. I wanted so badly for UNC to win. If shows you what a good FB staff can do. Hmm.... His players are no where near as talented as Clemson's but they were well coached and motivated.
Some posters say WM was RT's only real choice. Not true. He could have hired Lincoln and Mack put out feelers for the job. If only.

This is the exact same commentary that we all heard after the Syracuse game last year. Coincidentally, both games were in week 5, with Clemson looking towards a bye week. What happened after that game? Let’s not read too much into this.

Circuitous logic is a Mother...

Not a fan of either school, but that was a ballsy move by Mack to go for it.
Like others, I think it was an idiot and cowardly move. Anyone who watches Clemson knows their strength is the DL. When the field is condensed, it is even more difficult to break through the line. I think Brown was okay with a moral victory of playing Clemson close. After all, there would have been 1 minute remaining in the game and Clemson had, I believe, 2 timeouts remaining. It's highly possible Clemson would have won the game on a FG.

Such a stupid thread post.. but why should i expect more.. Mack Brown almost engineered a epic win against all odds.. and some doofuses want to second guess him to talk crap
Yes. We were just discussing how we could have possibly eliminated the word "almost" from your post. Speaking of "doofuses".

Reactions: Cock In Space
loved the aggressiveness but hated the option call. From what I gathered UNC is thin at QB and if Howell goes down they turn the keys over to a walk on. Clemson's pressure seemed to pick up a little bit during the 2nd half so I would of made the same call. I would of faked the XP though. Home field advantage and momentum do tend to make you want to play for OT but UNC doesn't have depth even close to clemson.

Reactions: Stewart.H
loved the aggressiveness but hated the option call. From what I gathered UNC is thin at QB and if Howell goes down they turn the keys over to a walk on. Clemson's pressure seemed to pick up a little bit during the 2nd half so I would of made the same call. I would of faked the XP though. Home field advantage and momentum do tend to make you want to play for OT but UNC doesn't have depth even close to clemson.

Yep, Howell hesitated for a moment on the weak side run. Play doomed to failure.
Why not run same play to the left, pitch to back, keep it or pitch to end trailing over the middle? Plus you get another second or so to beat the speedy Tiger Dline.

The coach potato sofa sitting crowd sipping on their PBR want to second guess a call by a National Championship Hall of Fame coach, who for 60 minutes, his team went head to head with the National Champions... But i will call those people childish names... because doofuses they are
... i hope ya'll didn't kick your poor dog in frustration last night

Last edited:
The coach potato sofa sitting crowd sipping on their PBR want to second guess a call by a National Championship Hall of Fame coach and berate and call him juvenile names, who for 60 minutes, his team went head to head with the National Champions.
The very same "National Championship Hall of Fame coach" that lost to App State last week.

Reactions: Cock In Space
Going for 2 and FAILS mightily.
Watching the game with my sister-in-law and as soon as UNC scored I said "if they go for 2 they will lose". As good as they had been playing the better play would be to take the tigers to overtime. They had been confusing them all day, had the home field advantage, and would have put the tigers in a position they haven't seen in a while. Sure, if it had worked it would have been awesome...but I just thought it was not the right call based on how the game had been played out. Why put the game on the line with one single play when you could play out a series? another reason to hate unc even more.

In all honesty, it was a low percentage chance of winning whichever choice Mack Brown makes in that situation.

Even if they convert, Clemson goes into do or die mode with plenty of time to get in field goal range.

I personally think it was a bad decision because they let it all ride on that one play, but nothing was guaranteed even if they convert. If they kick the point any number of scenarios could take place giving UNC a chance to win. I don't know the percentages, but I guarantee they were better than taking a chance against a stacked defense especially running that particular play.

If there was 3 seconds left in the game, maybe going for it is a good call. With 1:17 left, it's not the right call IMO.

The coach potato sofa sitting crowd sipping on their PBR want to second guess a call by a National Championship Hall of Fame coach, who for 60 minutes, his team went head to head with the National Champions... But i will call those people childish names... because doofuses they are
We don't agree on much, but I find this spot on. Mack Brown knows his team and their limitations better than we, who are not even fan of their team, do.

Reactions: BattleshipTexas
I don't agree with the premise of the original post. The out-manned, underdog team, in a game closer than expected, needs to shorten the game not lengthen it. They left their offense on the field when the offense was hot. It was going to come down to one play anyway, then or in overtime, on offense or defense. So why not then with them having the ball down close and not maybe facing fourth down farther away in OT? Now, they might have come up with a better play. They might have executed that one better. But I totally endorse going for the win in regulation.

He would have been an idiot not to have gone for 2
Respect your opinion but how is that the case? Clem still had 1:17 to work with to get into FG range. Even if they had gotten it they likely lose 24-22 but at least they wouldve had a chance to prove it on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT