ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Kingsux

He also coached for 16 seasons. Kingston has been to the same number of Super Regionals as Tanner after 5 years.

The same posters who were praising the team after sweeping the #3 team in the country last year are now ready to burn Kingston at the stake because we've lost two games on the road to a team that's ranked ahead of us.

We're still 20-7 and ranked in the Top 20 with plenty of baseball to play. We could probably go .500 from here and make the post season. Many teams have won the College World Series with 20 or more losses. I just think we should wait and see what happens before we bury the team and coach prematurely.
I'm not ready to fire him after this series but he needs to get us to Omaha as I've stated in previous posts. If we're still comparing to Ray as you brought up originally (ridiculous comparison), Ray had us in the championship game in year 6 and Omaha from years 6 to 8. In 2000 and 2001, we were very close to making it to Omaha. #1 NCAA seed in 2000 with a former record of SEC wins. 2001 we lost at Stanford in game 3 by one run in Supers. So the foundation was being built. Yes, we had a great season last year that faded away by seasons end but I don't see that foundation being built. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaleoCock
The one 8-22 year really skews things. If we make it to the postseason again this season, that's 4 out of the 6 Kingston has been here. I don't believe anyone would expect him to be on the hotseat under those circumstances.
I will agree that ultimately records are what matters but I would also point out some of us are not happy with what we see out of his teams. Call it an eye test... mechanical crap that does not get corrected, bone headed decisions and the like. I feel overall we are a pretty knowledgeable fan base that looks a lot deeper than wins and losses... thus the unhappiness. Perhaps Kingston can turn things around and do far better than mediocre but based on what a lot of us see over a pretty dog gone big sample size, a lot of us have little confidence he will. It's not like hasn't been given time. And here we are... mediocre.

Reactions: sclawman77
This team is not good. If they even make it to say a regional in Athens they lose two right away. I was thinking the pitching was at least serviceable, not sure about that now. If Kingston doesn’t turn this around Drastically and get them to Omaha, he needs to be fired!! Plain and simple!!

Still doesn't change the fact he lost plenty of games in SEC play. Just can't imagine wanted to switch a head coach right now after last season given the decade of performance prior. We'll see though.
This team should have been swept by Ole Miss but went 1-3, now they are about to be swept by Bama, and that is out of only 3 SEC battles. He better do something amazing and turn this around. SC won back to back Nat titles, this is not acceptable, unless it was Tanner’s plan to make him look better!!

This team should have been swept by Ole Miss but went 1-3, now they are about to be swept by Bama, and that is out of only 3 SEC battles. He better do something amazing and turn this around. SC won back to back Nat titles, this is not acceptable, unless it was Tanner’s plan to make him look better!!
I'm not sure Tanner's intent was to make himself look good as a coach but that certainly looks like the result. lol

Reactions: cockofdawn
Wel they squeaked one out in Tuscaloosa. We are supposed to be happy about that I guess??

The one 8-22 year really skews things. If we make it to the postseason again this season, that's 4 out of the 6 Kingston has been here. I don't believe anyone would expect him to be on the hotseat under those circumstances.
I don't think it matters, Tanner will not be getting rid of Kingston, unless there is another 8-22 season

Hhmmm I wonder is this will awaken all you Kingston homers??Maybe you will start to see?? Even Gamecock Scoop calls it embarrassing, this is sad sad sad.
We will not make the post season without beating the small schools... and if they throw strikes, we are in trouble.

Heck i am guessing they can throw Balls and this team would still lose, they would Walk the bases loaded then strikeout swinging on next three batters!
Last night GSU walked the bases loaded and our pinch hitter (who has one job) looked at three strikes. Never took the bat off the shoulder for the third out. Blows the mind.

Last night GSU walked the bases loaded and our pinch hitter (who has one job) looked at three strikes. Never took the bat off the shoulder for the third out. Blows the mind.

I've said numerous times this season that we've had a long trend of leaving too many folks on base.

Nothing different last night.

I've said numerous times this season that we've had a long trend of leaving too many folks on base.

Nothing different last night.
I don''t know what ever happened to protecting the plate but I miss it

I BLAME that on Coaching and maybe recruiting. This coaching staff either cant recruit, cant coach and cant manage a game, Other than those s facets, they arent too bad, Give them a "C" on everything else..

Reactions: bucketdad
I'm late to the party-didn't realize they were shutout by Georgia Southern this week. That's pathetic. We hopefully make the postseason but will be traveling to someone else's regional is my guess. And we aren't a good road team.

I'm late to the party-didn't realize they were shutout by Georgia Southern this week. That's pathetic. We hopefully make the postseason but will be traveling to someone else's regional is my guess. And we aren't a good road team
HOW IN THE HELL DID OUR BASEBALL PROGRAM EVER GET TO "HOPEFULLY WE MAKE THE POSTSEASON"???

Heard Kingston and Tanner are meeting tonight to discuss a 10 year contract extension……but seriously Tanner has to be the worst AD in the country. How can a guy that lived his whole life on the baseball field not be able to hire a competent coach. As long as Kingston is here the ceiling will be a regional once in a while.

Yep it’s me and l have wonder why gamecock fans think like this? They are a bunch of teams that were very good in baseball and still have struggled to get back to prior success. Nothing stays the same forever.
Lol, okay. How many back to back National championships have you enjoyed. Hmmmm so you haven’t been there so you have no clue!! Go back to tater net.

Lol, okay. How many back to back National championships have you enjoyed. Hmmmm so you haven’t been there so you have no clue!! Go back to tater net.
Not tater net. Those were over a decade ago. Stop living in the past. It’s all about what have you done lately.

ROFLMAO Danny, Danny. This has to be Danny’s grandson, go back to your fruit loops. That is so funny, you just make that up?? Dora the explorer is on, don’t miss it!!
It’s not easy staying on top of the mountain. Would you agree? Maybe it gets easier with more money being invested now. Gamecocks have the best women basketball team money can buy.

This team has many problems. They aren't getting fixed anytime soon.

A&M is a much better team and program than is South Carolina at the present.

But Kingston thinks- as usual- we are just a few swings away from winning the World Series.

The Spurrier Syndrome.

As Bassslayer mentioned, it's unsustainable to continue holding up our best coach in history and demand that our current coach match or exceed their accomplishments.

Also, fans seem to only recall the high times of Spurrier and Tanner and not the growing pains.

We had plenty of ups and downs during seasons under Ray Tanner.

As mentioned previously, Tanner lost 20 or more games in 10 of the 16 seasons he coached.

He also hovered around .500 in the SEC 9 of those 16 seasons.

Kingston has been to the same number of Super Regionals over 5 seasons.

We're certainly not a great team, but let's wait and see how it closes out.

The Spurrier Syndrome.

As Bassslayer mentioned, it's unsustainable to continue holding up our best coach in history and demand that our current coach match or exceed their accomplishments.

Also, fans seem to only recall the high times of Spurrier and Tanner and not the growing pains.

We had plenty of ups and downs during seasons under Ray Tanner.

As mentioned previously, Tanner lost 20 or more games in 10 of the 16 seasons he coached.

He also hovered around .500 in the SEC 9 of those 16 seasons.

Kingston has been to the same number of Super Regionals over 5 seasons.

We're certainly not a great team, but let's wait and see how it closes out.
Lowering expectations. The Garnet Way. Tanner's AD legacy: we are strictly an elite women's basketball school.

Lowering expectations. The Garnet Way. Tanner's AD legacy: we are strictly an elite women's basketball school.

Did you miss the part where most of the seasons under Ray Tanner looked alot like this one?

Spend millions and turned over staffs in an attempt to replicate some moment in time is fool's gold.

Evaluations should be done at the year of each season. Last season was a really good one.

Let's see how this one closes out before we bury the staff.

Did you miss the part where most of the seasons under Ray Tanner looked alot like this one?

Spend millions and turned over staffs in an attempt to replicate some moment in time is fool's gold.

Evaluations should be done at the year of each season. Last season was a really good one.

Let's see how this one closes out before we bury the staff.
No I didn't. As I stated before I know it took Tanner 4 seasons to build a foundation (2000 and 2001 were stud teams that just fell short and paved the way for future teams) and by season 6 we were in the national title game and made Omaha 6 of the next 11 seasons and super regionals 10 out of Tanner's last 12 seasons. I couldn't care less about SEC records-Tanner had very impressive end results. I don't see Kingston building anything consistent. Ray had built a foundation at this point in his Carolina coaching career.
As I've stated before, I'll let the season play out as I have no choice but this team doesn't look poised to make any postseason run like all the Kingston teams. But we shall see.

Reactions: Ward Jr
No I didn't. As I stated before I know it took Tanner 4 seasons to build a foundation (2000 and 2001 were stud teams that just fell short and paved the way for future teams) and by season 6 we were in the national title game and made Omaha 6 of the next 11 seasons and super regionals 10 out of Tanner's last 12 seasons. I couldn't care less about SEC records-Tanner had very impressive end results. I don't see Kingston building anything consistent. Ray had at this point in his Carolina coaching career.
As I've stated before, I'll let the season play out as I have no choice but this team doesn't look poised to make any postseason run like all the Kingston teams. But we shall see.

Agree. Last season was a very good one and I don't believe anyone could argue with the results or direction of the program at it's conclusion. Let's see how this one plays out first.

yippeeee we are so happy. We won one to keep from getting swept at home !! We should be ecstatic!!
We've been up and down this year but there's plenty of ball left to play.

You should travel back to the Coach Tanner days on this website and watch posters emotions being yanked around game to game during the regular seasons. It's nothing new.

We've been up and down this year but there's plenty of ball left to play.

You should travel back to the Coach Tanner days on this website and watch posters emotions being yanked around game to game during the regular seasons. It's nothing new.

In Tanner's 6th year, we were national runner-ups.

Through 6 years Tanner had won 274 games and had finished 1st in the SEC East 2 times. He had won 110 games in the SEC.

Through 6 years, Kingston won 180 games. (He had the shortened COVID year, but wasn't going to win 94 games that year) with 70 SEC wins. (With a great SEC season during the COVId year, he'd have 87-88 SEC wins in the same time period Tanner had 110.

Under Tanner through 6 years, while the fans would complain, we were a feared baseball program in the SEC. Teams knew that beating South Carolina in baseball meant something.

Coach Kingston has to offer so many excuses, even Will Muschamp blushes. There is no program in the SEC that worries about South Carolina baseball anymore.

I know what you are saying, but Kingston couldn't hold Ray Tanner's dirty shoes.

In Tanner's 6th year, we were national runner-ups.

Through 6 years Tanner had won 274 games and had finished 1st in the SEC East 2 times. He had won 110 games in the SEC.

Through 6 years, Kingston won 180 games. (He had the shortened COVID year, but wasn't going to win 94 games that year) with 70 SEC wins. (With a great SEC season during the COVId year, he'd have 87-88 SEC wins in the same time period Tanner had 110.

Under Tanner through 6 years, while the fans would complain, we were a feared baseball program in the SEC. Teams knew that beating South Carolina in baseball meant something.

Coach Kingston has to offer so many excuses, even Will Muschamp blushes. There is no program in the SEC that worries about South Carolina baseball anymore.

I know what you are saying, but Kingston couldn't hold Ray Tanner's dirty shoes.
Spot on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT