ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Kingsux

This guy BLOWS! He is just like Will Muskrat
This team is a mystery. Petry, Massina, Casas, Kennedy and other players are underachieving themselves to death. They think clutch hitting is beating on a gear stick. Saturday's relief pitchers are toxic. Five to four seems to be a vain attempt to pick winning lottery numbers. I, truly, thought that this team would be knocking the cover off the balls????????????? I don't know what impact, if any, coaching has on this team. Make them run about 20 wind sprints after every game that they crap their way through. They don't seem to be very motivated.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Agreed, he either makes Omaha, which right now seems VERY unlikely, or he packs his bags. Losing in football and men’s BB is not like losing in baseball. This program won back to back National Titles!!

Reactions: sclawman77
Last season, we were ranked in the Top 10 for most of the year and lost to the CWS runner-up in a nail-biter Super Regional on their home field.

This season, we're 15-5 and are currently ranked #21 and conference play is just getting started.

Careful what you wish for.

Our plate approach is crap. Once again, we strike out waaaaay too much! I haven't looked, but we've got to be close to #1 in the nation with runners LOB.

We were 30 spots worse than any other ranked SEC team going into last weekend with runners LOB.

Leggett had slipped to a 500 ACC record, they brought in a new man. They gave Lee a few years, and when he wasn't much better they let someone try. How is year 2 looking for them?

I think most/all see a great coach in Paris, even if we loose a few more games next year. I don't know of anyone that thinks the same of Kingston.

Leggett had slipped to a 500 ACC record, they brought in a new man. They gave Lee a few years, and when he wasn't much better they let someone try. How is year 2 looking for them?

I think most/all see a great coach in Paris, even if we loose a few more games next year. I don't know of anyone that thinks the same of Kingston.

What bothered you about last year's performance by Kingston and the team?

16-13. Its baseball, even .300 teams win a few in a row.

A few games in a row?

We were 34-6 before the injuries after sweeping #2 UF.

We were ranked in the Top 10 most of the year and got as high as #3.

We made it within a hair of the CWS and lost to the runner up on their homefield.

We're currently 16-5 and ranked #21 this season.

Looking forward to seeing how we stack up against Vandy. Should tell us a lot.

Reactions: Ward Jr
Ray Tanner lost 13 or more games in the SEC 9 out of the 16 years he was the head coach.

Just as Kingston did last season, he was able to make it to the Super Regionals on several occasions with the 13+ losses in the conference.

Ray Tanner lost 13 or more games in the SEC 9 out of the 16 years he was the head coach.

Just as Kingston did last season, he was able to make it to the Super Regionals on several occasions with the 13+ losses in the conference.
If you want to compare MK to RT, ok. RT's 4-5 years ended in supers. Years 6-8 were CWS finals, including 2 NC. We're in year 7 for MK, we shall see.

If you want to compare MK to RT, ok. RT's 4-5 years ended in supers. Years 6-8 were CWS finals, including 2 NC. We're in year 7 for MK, we shall see.

Still doesn't change the fact he lost plenty of games in SEC play. Just can't imagine wanted to switch a head coach right now after last season given the decade of performance prior. We'll see though.

You may not agree with his comment but why wouldn’t it make sense?

That our athletic director doesn't want our baseball program to do well because he's afraid it will hurt or "equal" his legacy?

You really have to ask why that wouldn't make any sense? Well, let me just post a few obvious reasons it makes no sense off the top of my head. This is not a complete list.

FIRST - To accuse (or even hint) Ray Tanner of this is to accuse him of being an unethical, unprincipled, terrible human being. It would be one of the worst things anyone could do outside of an outright crime against another person. It would ruin his legacy as our baseball coach and destroy his personal and professional reputation. Why would he do such a thing? The man is close to retirement whether than be in 1 year or 5 years. Why would he let himself get to that point? It makes no sense at all.

Like Ray or hate his guts (and I know some seem to hate him), I've never heard anyone that actually knows him or works with him accuse him of being unethical or unprincipled.

But my list..

1) He won the first national title in baseball at the school. Nothing can take away that fact or equal it. He did it first. He was the trailblazer. Nothing can equal that. He knows that. Any serious alum knows that. Any discussion for the rest of history regarding our baseball program even 100 years from now will mention Ray Tanner at the very top because he was the first.

2) Nothing can take away Ran Tanner's legacy as our baseball coach. He won back to back national titles, His last team played for a 3rd. He won 3 conference titles and a conference tourney championship. He won the SEC East 6 times. He was the 3 time national coach of the year and a 3 time SEC coach of the year.

Who the hell is anywhere within 100,000 miles of achieving even 1/4 of that? Kingston isn't. If Kingston gets close and Ray Tanner stabs him in the back, then it will be worth talking about.

3) Mark Kingston or anyone else winning a national title in baseball doesn't take away Ray Tanner's legacy. It wouldn't equal it. Nothing would equal the coach that won the first.

4) As the athletic director that hired Kingston (or anyone else), Kingston winning a national title would only enhance Ray Tanner's legacy. To have won 2 back to back national titles in baseball, and then hire a man who - out of the blue-wins a national title in baseball would make Ray Tanner's legendary tenure at the University of South Carolina as baseball coach even more incredible.

5) A baseball coach winning a national title at USC wouldn't equal Ray Tanner's legacy. A coach winning 2 national titles wouldn't equal his legacy. He did it back to back- one of the hardest things in sports to accomplish. So it makes no sense.

If Kingston, or some other baseball coach at South Carolina gets to Omaha and is in the final series and Ray Tanner does something that hurts or hampers their effort, that will be the first time it makes any sense at all to wonder if he's worried about someone equaling his legacy. But that wouldn't happen because they couldn't equal or challenge his legacy anyway.

it's crazy talk from fans that don't know what they are talking about and are grasping at straws.

Saying such a thing in front of any of our actual baseball players that have played in the last 30-40+ years would get you branded a complete fool, a blabbering idiot. It makes no sense.

Last edited:
Kingston has only had 5 seasons at USC because the COVID year was a bust. He's made the Super Regionals twice in 5 seasons. I don't understand why anyone would want him gone right now after last year.

Kingston has only had 5 seasons at USC because the COVID year was a bust. He's made the Super Regionals twice in 5 seasons. I don't understand why anyone would want him gone right now after last year.
I guess it is sorta like Bama (in Football) going to a Belk/Mayonnaise bowl. This Program is a back to back national Champion, NO, it isnt good unless you get to OMAHA (IMO)..

I guess it is sorta like Bama (in Football) going to a Belk/Mayonnaise bowl. This Program is a back to back national Champion, NO, it isnt good unless you get to OMAHA (IMO)..
We got very close last year. Tanner had one group of players who got it done in Omaha over a 16-year career. Otherwise, his betters teams looked much like what we had last season.

Another lost series, and BADLY beaten. Oh well looks like we have to get used to this!!! Let’s go Girls!! Tough one last night, but a win. May humble them a bit!!

Last edited:
We got very close last year. Tanner had one group of players who got it done in Omaha over a 16-year career. Otherwise, his betters teams looked much like what we had last season.
Tanner went to the national championship game 4 times as well with different teams (we had a shot at 3 titles in a row in 2012-won in 2010/2011). He also went to Omaha three straight seasons twice. So saying Tanner got it done with one group is kind of minimizing the very impressive accomplishments-especially compared to Kingston, who hasn't made Omaha. Also super regionals were implemented in 1999. From 2000-2012, Tanner's teams went to the Supers 10 times. I'm not a fan of Tanner the AD at all but his college baseball resume is elite. Kingston can't hold a handle to it.

Last edited:
Tanner went to the national championship game 4 times as well with different teams (we had a shot at 3 titles in a row in 2012). He also went to Omaha three straight seasons twice.
It's becoming more evident that Tanner knew what to do with the talent he had. Seems we have been on a forever search for who and what we are ever since... and still looking

Tanner went to the national championship game 4 times as well with different teams (we had a shot at 3 titles in a row in 2012-won in 2010/2011). He also went to Omaha three straight seasons twice. So saying Tanner got it done with one group is kind of minimizing the very impressive accomplishments-especially compared to Kingston, who hasn't made Omaha. Also super regionals were implemented in 1999. From 2000-2012, Tanner's teams went to the Supers 10 times. I'm not a fan of Tanner the AD at all but his college baseball resume is elite. Kingston can't hold a handle to it.
He also coached for 16 seasons. Kingston has been to the same number of Super Regionals as Tanner after 5 years.

The same posters who were praising the team after sweeping the #3 team in the country last year are now ready to burn Kingston at the stake because we've lost two games on the road to a team that's ranked ahead of us.

We're still 20-7 and ranked in the Top 20 with plenty of baseball to play. We could probably go .500 from here and make the post season. Many teams have won the College World Series with 20 or more losses. I just think we should wait and see what happens before we bury the team and coach prematurely.

Last edited:
Reactions: usc_nc
He also coached for 16 seasons. Kingston has been to the same number of Super Regionals as Tanner after 5 years.

The same posters who were praising the team after sweeping the #3 team in the country last year are now ready to burn Kingston at the stake because we've lost two games on the road to a team that's ranked ahead of us.

We're still 20-7 and ranked in the Top 20 with plenty of baseball to play. We could probably go .500 from here and make the post season. Many teams have won the College World Series with 20 or more losses. Why not wait and see what happens before we bury the team?
5+ years and we have a losing record in the SEC. But somehow along the way perhaps we beat enough smaller schools ooc that will land us in the post season every now and then.
I would like to think this is unacceptable and it would take more than making the post season to make this right.

5+ years and we have a losing record in the SEC. But somehow along the way perhaps we beat enough smaller schools ooc that will land us in the post season every now and then.
I would like to think this is unacceptable and it would take more than making the post season to make this right.
The one 8-22 year really skews things. If we make it to the postseason again this season, that's 4 out of the 6 Kingston has been here. I don't believe anyone would expect him to be on the hotseat under those circumstances.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT