ADVERTISEMENT

MBB at Tennessee thread

Should fire Martin now and let Chuck Martin coach the team for the rest of the season. See what he’s got.

We lost a tough one. 55-56. We tried, players worked hard. Maybe we can win some in the SEC. But not enough for any playoffs.

Lame, free throw shooting definitely cost us the game. But man I feel like we got screwed by the officiating throughout the game. But yeah we got to do better.

Reactions: funktavious
A 1 point game and abysmal free throw shooting.. ridiculous

That final play was a perfect embodiment of why Martin needs to be gone. We had NO PLAN. There is NO OFFENSIVE PLAN. EVER. We had 30 freaking minutes of replays to set up a plan to call a TO, set an offense in place to score in under 10 seconds... nope. Our plan was- whoever get it, run down court and toss up a fkn PRAYER!! He does not coach offense at all, and basically quit coaching this team entirely DURING the Stetson game. A drunken Chimp could do what he does for this team since then.

Reactions: ddw1263
Typical game for us, but I just don't understand such terrible free throw shooting! It should be the easiest part of the game for any team. Practice, practice, practice free throws. Coaches except players to shoot free throws on their own time I guess. If you can get close to 80%, you'll win another 4-6 games a year.

These guys don't deserve to play in the same arena as Dawn and the ladies..

I know you guys are probably trashing the team and Frank Martin but that entire second half was GARBAGE officiating. Complete garbage.

The officials were fine. Martin’s team foul like crazy. They always do. We’ve watched it for almost a decade now. They reach too much with their hands and body guys on drives.

Reactions: ddw1263
I guess it was a good idea to try and take the whole way but where were the rest of our guys? No pass?
Who would you pass it to though? Nobody has really been good from a distance, except Kotsar but he went cold towards the end. I think driving and possibly going to the line with Lawson was our best shot. But yeah under better control.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Typical game for us, but I just don't understand such terrible free throw shooting! It should be the easiest part of the game for any team. Practice, practice, practice free throws. Coaches except players to shoot free throws on their own time I guess. If you can get close to 80%, you'll win another 4-6 games a year.
Well practice time is limited so they do have to leave Ft shooting up to the kids on their own mostly, but I am convinced we do not coach any aspect of offense- shooting technique, passing, dribbling, what to do without the ball in certain sets. Our offense consists of the guy with the ball frantically running around trying to find a seam while the other four guys WATCH with their hands on their hips until someone eventually heaves up a desperation 3 with no time left. That or transition buckets. Period. There is nothing that shows evidence of a team that has been taught what to do with the ball when they have it.

Three years back it was a point of emphasis that they where going to let the offensive player be able to take it to the hoop and not get an offensive foul not unless the defensive player was standing there like a statue. I guess this is no more.

That final play was a perfect embodiment of why Martin needs to be gone. We had NO PLAN. There is NO OFFENSIVE PLAN. EVER. We had 30 freaking minutes of replays to set up a plan to call a TO, set an offense in place to score in under 10 seconds... nope. Our plan was- whoever get it, run down court and toss up a fkn PRAYER!! He does not coach offense at all, and basically quit coaching this team entirely DURING the Stetson game. A drunken Chimp could do what he does for this team since then.
You serious?? So with 4 seconds left we are suppose to run a SET play?? He did exactly what he was suppose to do - drive and track the basket - he was fouled - homer ref called it the other way so he wouldn’t feel the fury of The home fans - definitely a defensive blocking call and a FLOP which I haven’t seen call very much this year

The officials were fine. Martin’s team foul like crazy. They always do. We’ve watched it for almost a decade now. They reach too much with their hands and body guys on drives.
There are some nuances to charges and blocking that I don't quite understand, but there were 2 back to back calls that went against us that looked like they were bad calls. On one play our guy had his feet planted and the offensive player ran into him with the ball and they called a block. On the very next play the UT player was clearly moving and our player was called for a charge. Turning point plays in my opinion.

You serious?? So with 4 seconds left we are suppose to run a SET play?? He did exactly what he was suppose to do - drive and track the basket - he was fouled - homer ref called it the other way so he wouldn’t feel the fury of The home fans - definitely a defensive blocking call and a FLOP which I haven’t seen call very much this year
There were 10 seconds on the clock when they stopped it. If we call a TO when we get the ball that leaves 8-9 seconds so YES I am serious. Even the announcers were shocked he just ran down court without calling a To. He was not fouled by the tenn player. Lawson ran uncontrolled down court a smashed into a set defender= the definition of a charge. The defender was standing feet set with both hands still... It does not get more clear than that. Do not let your fanboy emotions fool you, it was the right call and our coach blew it, again, because he refuses to coach this team.

So is Cousinard the starting PG now?

Cousinard
Minaya (who couldn't hit the side of a barn with bird shot from 10 feet)
Lawson
Bryant
Kotsar

???

Why didn't Frank call his last timeout remaining with 5 seconds left? Also, another abysmal day of free throws.
Without going back and watching again I think we could have had like 8 seconds even... but to some (above) they don’t think you should call a TO and actually you know do your job as a coach there! This is a pickup league at the Blatt after all right?

There were 10 seconds on the clock when they stopped it. If we call a TO when we get the ball that leaves 8-9 seconds so YES I am serious. Even the announcers were shocked he just ran down court without calling a To. He was not fouled by the tenn player. Lawson ran uncontrolled down court a smashed into a set defender= the definition of a charge. The defender was standing feet set with both hands still... It does not get more clear than that. Do not let your fanboy emotions fool you, it was the right call and our coach blew it, again, because he refuses to coach this team.

There was only like 4 or 5 seconds left but the rest of your analysis is correct.
Honestly i dont have an issue with not calling a timeout IF there is a plan but undoubtedly there was no plan.
Calling a timeout would only allow the defense to get set

We can point to refs, we can point to turn overs, but until we can make free throws, we can't win consistently bottom line.... Also, our best player can't disappear for 9/10s of the game..
Who is our best player? Lawson? Nope- Kotsar and he was, AGAIN, the only consistent player making plays on both side of the court most of the day. All year he is the only guy we can rely on...

Reactions: OldWiseCock
There was only like 4 or 5 seconds left but the rest of your analysis is correct.
Honestly i dont have an issue with not calling a timeout IF there is a plan but undoubtedly there was no plan.
Calling a timeout would only allow the defense to get set
Ok- 2-3 seconds one way or another, we can go to the tape I was going off the time left when they started shooting Ft, minus a couple for the rebound- regardless YES! No problem NOT calling a TO there if he had coached them about what to do.. but look at our coaches the last few minutes- did they coach ANYONE? I think we had most if not all our timeouts left? Anybody starting to believe me that MARTIN QUIT COACHING DURING THE STETSON GAME? We lose a 1 pt game with all our TOs left? They didn’t even try to come up with a plan at any point in the second half! And if he told them- “Get Lawson the ball and let him run uncontrolled down court and smash into someone for an offensive foul”- then great execution guys! If that is the play he wanted I guess we have no beef... Except that is completely stupid and even an oafish offensive ignoramus like Martin would not be fool enough to call a play like that.

Reactions: Cybercock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT