ADVERTISEMENT

MBB vs BAMA Game Thread

Gamecockben1979

Jun 5, 2017
Big game tonight. Need to get this W to have any shot at dancing. Hope our boys come ready to play. Road wins are hard to come by in this league. Seems like the SEC is finally reaching its potential as a basketball conference. Football like atmospheres across the conference.

Quinnerly automatic so far and what the heck are we doing turning the ball over at this clip.
I think we’re lucky this one hasn’t gotten farther away from us - still easily in it if we can settle down

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Looks like Bama is going to put us out of our basketball misery tonight.
Their guy is making rainbows and none of ours can get going yet.
Come on Gamecocks!

Nate Oats at Bama winning in an old arena with no basketball tradition. It can be done

Nate Oats at Bama winning in an old arena with no basketball tradition. It can be done
I don’t think I’d say they have no basketball tradition. They do have 9 sweet 16 appearances. It pails in comparison to their football tradition, but they’ve had some decent basketball teams over the years.

Got to give Alabama some credit. They shot lights out tonight. Unfortunately this means NIT unless we win the SEC tournament. It is important to make sure we at least get a bye.

It’ll be hard enough to beat a team with a double bye but it’s almost impossible when they are fresh and you’re on your third game in 3 days.

I don’t think I’d say they have no basketball tradition. They do have 9 sweet 16 appearances. It pails in comparison to their football tradition, but they’ve had some decent basketball teams over the years.
They won under Wimp and C. M. Newton.

Got to give Alabama some credit. They shot lights out tonight. Unfortunately this means NIT unless we win the SEC tournament. It is important to make sure we at least get a bye.

It’ll be hard enough to beat a team with a double bye but it’s almost impossible when they are fresh and you’re on your third game in 3 days.
I don’t think all is lost yet. We will need to get this one back by beating Auburn and probably 2 tournament wins. Daunting for sure, but the team hasn’t given up.

We could have played better. But Bama was hot tonight . Real hot. Good win for Bama seniors. They looked like a team that could give tournament teams trouble. Hope our seniors have the same success on senior night.

I don’t think all is lost yet. We will need to get this one back by beating Auburn and probably 2 tournament wins. Daunting for sure, but the team hasn’t given up.
Only shot is to win the SEC tourney. Even with a win over an Auburn, the total book of the season doesn't add up for NCAA. Yea, had some wins recently, but none over anyone that impresses anybody.

As far as our NCAAT hopes go, yes. All is lost.
Yes, I think that ship has sailed. However, if South Carolina finishes with a .500 record for the conference, I will consider that a sucess. This league is brutal this year with five very good teams.

Yes, I think that ship has sailed. However, if South Carolina finishes with a .500 record for the conference, I will consider that a sucess. This league is brutal this year with five very good teams.
I won't. Ten year into Frank's tenure and the best we can hope for is .500 in conference play while other newer coaches have come in and made their teams Tournament regulars?

I don't think so.

I won't. Ten year into Frank's tenure and the best we can hope for is .500 in conference play while other newer coaches have come in and made their teams Tournament regulars?

I don't think so.
I just fear the same thing will happen to South Carolina like what happened to Georgia when they replaced Mark fox with Tom Craine.

I don't think so.
I think every team in the conference has only two games left for the regular season. Only five teams out of 14 currently have an above .500 conference record.

Best as I can tell every team in the AP top ten with the exception of Duke lost today.
Gonzaga is still playing but down by ten

Last edited:
What's the worst that could happen? We keep missing out on top recruits? We keep losing games we have no business losing? We keep missing the tournament?

At least we would be trying SOMETHING new.
Well you asked what’s the worst that could happen. The answer is Steve Newton or Darrin Horn, both of which were absolute disasters. And if you make a hire like that it usually takes 4-5 years to own up to the mistake and another 4-5 years to pull yourself out of it.

I get your frustrations with Frank Martin, but he’s never going to be confused with those two. I don’t know what will happen at seasons end, but it can definitely be worse.

Well you asked what’s the worst that could happen. The answer is Steve Newton or Darrin Horn, both of which were absolute disasters. And if you make a hire like that it usually takes 4-5 years to own up to the mistake and another 4-5 years to pull yourself out of it.

I get your frustrations with Frank Martin, but he’s never going to be confused with those two. I don’t know what will happen at seasons end, but it can definitely be worse.
Newton was hired by one of the worst ADs in our history. Hyman has freely admitted that Horn came about as a budget issue. But Hyman never gets any credit for pulling the plug after only 4 years and not waiting the obligatory five.

Sitting around and doing nothing while the same scenario plays out year after year is just telling the fans that we don't care about competing in men's basketball.

I get some people's hesitation about letting Ray attempt another coaching hire. But eventually you just have to realize that ten years is enough and make a change just to give someone else a shot.

Sitting around and doing nothing while the same scenario plays out year after year is just telling the fans that we don't care about competing in men's basketball.

I get some people's hesitation about letting Ray attempt another coaching hire. But eventually you just have to realize that ten years is enough and make a change just to give someone else a shot.
I think Coach Martin has some success competing in the SEC.

Newton was hired by one of the worst ADs in our history. Hyman has freely admitted that Horn came about as a budget issue. But Hyman never gets any credit for pulling the plug after only 4 years and not waiting the obligatory five.

I’ll certainly give Hyman the credit for pulling the plug. Unfortunately Horn was so bad after four years that this program didn’t have the talent to beat Chapin High by the time he left.

I hate the stat 1 for 10 NCAA tournaments. It conveniently leaves out the fact that Darrin Horn left this program in such bad shape that no one was making the tournament for 3 years after his fiasco. No one made the tournament in 2020. We had one year where the committee screwed us out of a bid. We got hit with Covid in 2021. While I question how seriously Martin and the program took Covid protocols based on the number of outbreaks within the program, no coach was going to make the tournament with a month long pause.

If this team finishes with 20 wins it’s going to be tough to pull the plug on Coach Martin at seasons end. This team isn’t giving up on him. They continue to fight. They’ll likely be set for a good chance to make the tourney if everyone returns. A regime change would pretty much mean imploding a decent team and hoping for the best with a rookie coach. Now if we lose out that’s a whole separate issue…..

I’ll certainly give Hyman the credit for pulling the plug. Unfortunately Horn was so bad after four years that this program didn’t have the talent to beat Chapin High by the time he left.

I hate the stat 1 for 10 NCAA tournaments. It conveniently leaves out the fact that Darrin Horn left this program in such bad shape that no one was making the tournament for 3 years after his fiasco. No one made the tournament in 2020. We had one year where the committee screwed us out of a bid. We got hit with Covid in 2021. While I question how seriously Martin and the program took Covid protocols based on the number of outbreaks within the program, no coach was going to make the tournament with a month long pause.

If this team finishes with 20 wins it’s going to be tough to pull the plug on Coach Martin at seasons end. This team isn’t giving up on him. They continue to fight. They’ll likely be set for a good chance to make the tourney if everyone returns. A regime change would pretty much mean imploding a decent team and hoping for the best with a rookie coach. Now if we lose out that’s a whole separate issue…..
Regardless if we get 20 wins, 1 tournament appearance and take out the COVID factor, it's time to go in a new direction

Reactions: Legendary Cock

See, all I'm hearing is excuses and "what-ifs." No one's trying to run Frank off after Year 3. It's been TEN YEARS. The Horn excuse died after the FF run. This is FRANK'S team. HIS recruits. HIS coaching staff. HIS culture.

And if Frank would've continued on that trajectory (not necessarily FF, but semi-regular in the Tournament and not losing to a bunch of nobodies in the early season), you probably wouldn't hear a peep from anyone -- myself included.

But if we shouldn't risk "blowing up" a team that probably won't Dance anyway, then why would anyone ever make a coaching change? We can't let the fear of attrition hold us hostage while the actual reality is staring us dead in the face.

See, all I'm hearing is excuses and "what-ifs." No one's trying to run Frank off after Year 3. It's been TEN YEARS. The Horn excuse died after the FF run. This is FRANK'S team. HIS recruits. HIS coaching staff. HIS culture.

And if Frank would've continued on that trajectory (not necessarily FF, but semi-regular in the Tournament and not losing to a bunch of nobodies in the early season), you probably wouldn't hear a peep from anyone -- myself included.

But if we shouldn't risk "blowing up" a team that probably won't Dance anyway, then why would anyone ever make a coaching change? We can't let the fear of attrition hold us hostage while the actual reality is staring us dead in the face.
Right now we’re in the running for the number one recruit in the country. Doesn’t guarantee we will land him, but a 20 win team with a chance at landing the number one recruit is not the optimal time for a reset.

Serious question: By your standards which coach in gamecock mens basketball history has ever met the standard of semi regular tournament appearances?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT