ADVERTISEMENT

MBB vs BAMA Game Thread

Right now we’re in the running for the number one recruit in the country. Doesn’t guarantee we will land him, but a 20 win team with a chance at landing the number one recruit is not the optimal time for a reset.

Serious question: By your standards which coach in gamecock mens basketball history has ever met the standard of semi regular tournament appearances?
None

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Right now we’re in the running for the number one recruit in the country. Doesn’t guarantee we will land him, but a 20 win team with a chance at landing the number one recruit is not the optimal time for a reset.

Serious question: By your standards which coach in gamecock mens basketball history has ever met the standard of semi regular tournament appearances?
1. I'm not in the camp that believes we're actually in the running for GG. He seems Chapel Hill bound. But even if we were, he wouldn't be here until the year after next. And he couldn't even sign until next year, correct? So we wouldn't be just giving Frank one more year. We would be giving him TWO. No thanks.

2. We really need to quit using our history as an excuse to not expect better. Frank has made over $30 million from us for only making one tournament. And he hasn't capitalized on that run one iota. That is not getting our money's worth. Even Ray Tanner said on 107.5 that we should be making the tournament more often. If he can expect more, why can't we?

Reactions: FORKCOCK
1. I'm not in the camp that believes we're actually in the running for GG. He seems Chapel Hill bound. But even if we were, he wouldn't be here until the year after next. And he couldn't even sign until next year, correct? So we wouldn't be just giving Frank one more year. We would be giving him TWO. No thanks.

2. We really need to quit using our history as an excuse to not expect better. Frank has made over $30 million from us for only making one tournament. And he hasn't capitalized on that run one iota. That is not getting our money's worth. Even Ray Tanner said on 107.5 that we should be making the tournament more often. If he can expect more, why can't we?
I can leave my wife and expect to bang a rich supermodel. I can have good intentions to make that come to fruition. Doesn’t mean it would be a good move. In fact it could end up being a lot worse. I hope you get the comparison here.

If we push for 20 wins, finish in the top 6 in the conference and decide to abandon ship on the only coach that has given us an NCAA tournament win in your lifetime (unless you were kicking in the McGuire years) it would drastically reduce the chances of getting a quality coach.

If you fire a coach in a 20 win season, you’re basically saying 20 wins isn’t good enough. I’m our conference that’s extremely difficult. Again you may think there’s no harm in blowing it up but another Newton/Horn hire would mean you’d be lucky to see the tourney by 2032….and that would depend on who the coach is after that.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
I can leave my wife and expect to bang a rich supermodel. I can have good intentions to make that come to fruition. Doesn’t mean it would be a good move. In fact it could end up being a lot worse. I hope you get the comparison here.

If we push for 20 wins, finish in the top 6 in the conference and decide to abandon ship on the only coach that has given us an NCAA tournament win in your lifetime (unless you were kicking in the McGuire years) it would drastically reduce the chances of getting a quality coach.

If you fire a coach in a 20 win season, you’re basically saying 20 wins isn’t good enough. I’m our conference that’s extremely difficult. Again you may think there’s no harm in blowing it up but another Newton/Horn hire would mean you’d be lucky to see the tourney by 2032….and that would depend on who the coach is after that.
Such a defeatist attitude. Let's just accept good enough. Don't even bother trying to get better.

Also, it wouldn't be saying 20 wins isn't good (which is seriously doubtful in itself). It's saying only going to one tournament in TEN YEARS isn't good enough. Especially after being paid the money he's being paid.

All coaches know what the expectations are. Winners aren't afraid of the challenge. Especially when they know they'll be well paid.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
I don't see landing anyone better than Frank. I'm not sure this year is the year to fire him.

No raise.

But I am not sure starting over with a coach that has to come in and try to recruit SC talent is the best move because that will take 2-3 years.

With Frank, we are going to miss out on some kids that we should land. But we are going to grab a few not quite as high profile from other states that maybe wouldn't look at us.

Not long ago a lot of folks were begging for Mike Boynton. He's got a worse record at Ok State this year than we have right now.

One thing looking back at our SEC schedule is we really never gave any of the top 4 teams a challenge.
We still do have one more shot at that at least.
I think if I was calling the shots I’d see how things play out because I don’t think we’re completely out yet but at some point we’re basically saying we’re ok maybe being a bubble team 50% of the time if things don’t change.
We always make these end of year charges that make you think we’re just one season away but then 60% of the roster turns over and we’re sitting with 2 or 3 bad losses on Jan 1 next season going into league play that is only getting deeper

I don't see landing anyone better than Frank. I'm not sure this year is the year to fire him.

No raise.

But I am not sure starting over with a coach that has to come in and try to recruit SC talent is the best move because that will take 2-3 years.

With Frank, we are going to miss out on some kids that we should land. But we are going to grab a few not quite as high profile from other states that maybe wouldn't look at us.

Not long ago a lot of folks were begging for Mike Boynton. He's got a worse record at Ok State this year than we have right now.
I hate this board got broke up before the end of the season. I really wanted to hold the Boynton fan club accountable. They may still view things around here but they don’t speak up much. Wanting to run our coach off for a guy with a losing record now would have been insane. Boynton can recruit but his coaching leaves a lot to be desired.

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
To those of you saying we can't do better than Frank - Horse Hockey!
I wish I agreed with you.

I'm turned on the tv this morning and there's Baylor and Texas, I guess from last night. Looked like watching one of our games for the world; missing gimme's under the basket, threes rattling out, jumpers short, turnovers, missed free throws, etc, with some super plays sprinkled in. I'm sure someone who has nothing else to do will look up stats and challenge that, just telling what I saw this morning. The difference is overall player caliber; they don't spend three minutes not putting something on the board.

I wish I believed someone could come in here and pack our roster with those caliber players without buying it. Or even WITH buying it. But since McGuire left (I know, I know...) no one has; there's obviously more to it than who's the coach and we "can't recruit."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT