ADVERTISEMENT

Men BB

I’m not a fan but I’d give him a C for year 1. The win total was about what I expected. We did show some improvement in some areas as the season went on.

The good-wins against Kentucky and Clemson. Competitive late in the season when they could have thrown in the towel.

The bad-getting thrashed by UAB and George Washington. Overall one of the worst seasons in school history.

If next year the win total is up around 15-16 we might have a chance. If it hovers around 10 and we still have no stability on our roster it’s time to buckle up for an even bumpier ride.

I’m not a fan but I’d give him a C for year 1. The win total was about what I expected. We did show some improvement in some areas as the season went on.

The good-wins against Kentucky and Clemson. Competitive late in the season when they could have thrown in the towel.

The bad-getting thrashed by UAB and George Washington. Overall one of the worst seasons in school history.

If next year the win total is up around 15-16 we might have a chance. If it hovers around 10 and we still have no stability on our roster it’s time to buckle up for an even bumpier ride.
I am not a fan either C- at very best IMO, probably closer to a D!! But I am willing to give him a couple years. We better see improvement next year and the next!!

I give him a passing grade this year. The team showed some sparks, and that's about all you could expect. They weren't built to last, but cobbled together late to get by. Now he'll have some young players that he can build around - and he can try and find the players (high school and in the portal) that fit his system, not just fit in a uniform.

I would expect to see a vast improvement on consistency next season.

I am not a fan either C- at very best IMO, probably closer to a D!! But I am willing to give him a couple years. We better see improvement next year and the next!!
I’m probably being generous. Had we not won some games and competed in some others down the stretch I would have given a D or F. Since the team seemed to respond and improve (Alabama, at Ole Miss, Georgia, etc…) I tried to give the benefit of the doubt.

We did get a few 40 point losses dropped on us and some embarrassing out of conference losses. I haven’t forgotten that either. If we didn’t pull off the miracles against Clemson and Kentucky I’d probably drop us to a D too. 8 wins is pretty brutal.

If the players that left had stayed when Frank was dismissed and we still only won 11 or 12 games then yeah Id say Coach Paris was a bum and Id be ready to run him out of town.

The problem is when he got there there were only a couple scholarship players still left. I think he did what he could with limited recruiting and portal time and basically had a pick up basketball team playing in one of the toughest conferences. Even with a very low level of talent, the team showed improvement as the year went on instead of quitting and I think thats a good sign.

Hopefully with a full recruiting cycle he can get some more talent in here and snag a couple guys out of the transfer portal and be more competitive and start building the program up. He showed progress every year at Chattanooga, I have confidence he will do the same here.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
I give him a passing grade this year. The team showed some sparks, and that's about all you could expect. They weren't built to last, but cobbled together late to get by. Now he'll have some young players that he can build around - and he can try and find the players (high school and in the portal) that fit his system, not just fit in a uniform.

I would expect to see a vast improvement on consistency next season.
I agree with this. All of our players left and getting a late March start in recruiting is not a recipe to win. Dennis Gates did it, but he had one big returning piece. Our team's play at home was concerning, but a C overall is a fair grade. Heck, I was expecting us to finish last in the conference.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
I give him a c+
Next year could be a better year.
But if about 3 or 4 current playes do not transfer out or leave the team, things are not going to be much better next year.
Looks like the transfer portal is going to be the determining factor.
Hope we can sign at least 3 or 4 big time players

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Maybe the Charleston Tournament massacre is not that bad as It looked with Furman and College of Charleston making to the NCAA Tournament, however the defeats to Colorado State, George Washington and East Carolina was bad.

Had trouble against Georgia both games with Georgia pressure defense.

Coach Paris needs to do a weekly press conference during the season, and he should not use words like shucks and fiddlesticks in his post game press conference.;)

Players really improved from beginning to ending of season. I have to say the biggest improvement is Jacobi Wright and Meechie Johnson.

During the last nine games of the conference schedule, South Carolina competed really well with the exception of the game at Knoxville. Just need to find ways to win the close games (Alabama, at Georgia and Mississippi State twice).

South Carolina had a decent season with shooting the three point shot and a few games shot in the 90 percent range with free throws.

Giving the circumstances I give Coach Paris the grade of

OIP.s1i15QAr9uEz9qgZhWCUwwHaE5

Maybe the Charleston Tournament massacre is not that bad as It looked with Furman and College of Charleston making to the NCAA Tournament, however the defeats to Colorado State, George Washington and East Carolina was bad.

Had trouble against Georgia both games with Georgia pressure defense.

Coach Paris needs to do a weekly press conference during the season, and he should not use words like shucks and fiddlesticks in his post game press conference.;)

Players really improved from beginning to ending of season. I have to say the biggest improvement is Jacobi Wright and Meechie Johnson.

During the last nine games of the conference schedule, South Carolina competed really well with the exception of the game at Knoxville. Just need to find ways to win the close games (Alabama, at Georgia and Mississippi State twice).

South Carolina had a decent season with shooting the three point shot and a few games shot in the 90 percent range with free throws.

Giving the circumstances I give Coach Paris the grade of

OIP.s1i15QAr9uEz9qgZhWCUwwHaE5
Man I loved having teachers like you in school 😂😂

Paris lost 2 of Martin's last team to graduation. After Martin's firing, 7 players transferred including 3 to UMASS with Martin. Thus, even before he could blow a whistle, 70% of Martin's last group were gone. That would have been the equivalent of Beamer having lost about 60 players from Muschamp's last team. By the time Paris came in, the best players and recruits had already been picked up. GG fell into his lap when things did not work out for him with the team he initially committed to. Paris had to bring in projects so he could have enough players to just scrimmage in practice. Who is surprised at how the year evolved? I was shocked they won as many as 4 SEC games. Most of the pre-season predictions had us finishing 14th (last in the SEC). We finished 12th. He was dealt a bad hand. I say all this as one who had hoped Sean Miller would come.

Last edited:
Paris lost 2 of Martin's last team to graduation. After Martin's firing, 7 players transferred including 3 to UMASS with Martin. Thus, even before he could blow a whistle, 70% of Martin's last group were gone. That would have been the equivalent of Beamer having lost about 60 players from Muschamp's last team. By the time Paris came in, the best players and recruits had already been picked up. GG fell into his lap when things did not work out for him with the team he initially committed to. Paris had to bring in projects so he could have enough players to just scrimmage in practice. Who is surprised at how the year evolved? I was shocked they won as many as 4 SEC games. Most of the pre-season predictions had us finishing 14th (last in the SEC). We finished 12th. He was dealt a bad hand. I say all this as one who had hoped Sean Miller would come.

To add to that - he also didn't have the name recognition that a Sean Miller would have had to draw in recruits instantly. He's going to have to do it the old fashioned way - non-stop recruiting.

Speaking of - Ford Cooper enters the portal, freeing up a scholarship.

To add to that - he also didn't have the name recognition that a Sean Miller would have had to draw in recruits instantly. He's going to have to do it the old fashioned way - non-stop recruiting.

Speaking of - Ford Cooper enters the portal, freeing up a scholarship.
I know this sounds odd to say about him since his first SC team went 11-21. But, he must be a pretty good game day coach to pull out 4 wins in the conference since most picked us as the worst team in the SEC coming into the season. Of course, he was an assistant to Bo Ryan at Wisconsin prior to getting a Head Coaching job. So, I guess I should not be surprised at that. Can he recruit, is the question? One of his two recruits is rated a 4-star by a couple of services. The other one Conyers is rated 45th, 53rd and 64th as a Shooting Guard in the nation by three of the recruiting services. Honestly, those look like two pretty good pickups. We will see how he finishes recruiting this year. So, while he was not among my top 3 choices for the job, I can't say I'm discouraged.

I would add this as well: his UTC teams seemed to improve each season he was there. So, there's that, too.

Last edited:
We can judge how good coach Paris is by the number leaving or entering the transfer portal in the next few days.
There are too many non performers on the team now. Last year was a last minute signing panic.
They had their chance. Now they must be encouraged to leave the team or enter the portal.

We can judge how good coach Paris is by the number leaving or entering the transfer portal in the next few days.
There are too many non performers on the team now. Last year was a last minute signing panic.
They had their chance. Now they must be encouraged to leave the team or enter the portal.
You get it but there are a lot of posters on here that do not understand that in college basketball in 2023 there is going to be 25-50% roster turnover yearly.

The real key is how much turnover is there from the players that can help you win. The other key is are the guys coming in better than the guys leaving. Those things matter a lot more than just roster turnover.

There are 10 Guys on the end of the bench to start each game and most will leave. Guys will graduate. Guys will flunk out or get kicked off for disciplinary reasons. Sometimes your good players get plucked by better programs. It’s hard to keep a guy on the roster for 3 years in the current environment.

You get it but there are a lot of posters on here that do not understand that in college basketball in 2023 there is going to be 25-50% roster turnover yearly.

The real key is how much turnover is there from the players that can help you win. The other key is are the guys coming in better than the guys leaving. Those things matter a lot more than just roster turnover.

There are 10 Guys on the end of the bench to start each game and most will leave. Guys will graduate. Guys will flunk out or get kicked off for disciplinary reasons. Sometimes your good players get plucked by better programs. It’s hard to keep a guy on the roster for 3 years in the current environment.

Exactly, transfers are going to come from every program - several of them per team. UNC just lost two on the same day - but neither seemed like they were going to be stars for the team. And sometimes they'll even seem like difference makers, but the coach doesn't like how they fit in the program. It's a new ballgame wherein coaches can now tweak their teams constantly through free agency (erm, I mean, the transfer portal).

Bad seasons come at no surprise in our situation.

First year head coach…. Last coach ousted due to bad performance. Thank ol’ Frank.

Reactions: zulu_nice
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT