ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Leach talking my language

It says a lot a man's character when he opt out a bowl game and leave his teammates stranded... Til this day, I say that 28-0 loss to UVA did more to hurt us in preparing for the bowl game and just let your teammates down before the game was played...
Fans have the wrong mindset about these lower tiered bowls. They aren’t so much a culmination of the current season, but rather a glorified exhibition in preparation for the season to come. And other than the playoff, and a few select other bowls, they are all just lower tiered bowls.

If a player wants to play in the car quest donkey burrito bowl, great. If they want to prep for the combine and draft process, sign with an agent, etc., that’s fine too.

I see both sides of the argument. If I’m a sure fired NFL draft pick, and my family doesn’t have much, I might opt out as well. Insurance policies are available, but can some of these poorer kids afford one.

CFP games are one thing, the Cheezit or Mayo Bowl are another. A chance to win a NC is enough incentive to play, mid to low tier bowls? Perhaps not???

Of course, the other side of the argument of opting out is it let’s down your teammates, coaches, fans, etc. Do you finish what you started????

If somebody doesn't want to be on the team any more, I'm probably better off as a coach letting them skip the bowl than persuading them to stay. It's too much trouble and drama to deal with a player who doesn't want to be there. If he actually did get injured in the bowl game, it would all fall on me as the guy who "made" him play in the game.

Having said that, if you opt-out of the bowl, there has to be an understanding that you are no longer on team. Muschamp's business of letting a player skip the bowl but continue to practice with the team and even be on the sidelines during the bowl was just ridiculous. It's not punishment and it's not done in anger. It's business. And like any business upon being given their 2-weeks notice by a middle-manager, you go ahead and show him the door today. There's just too much risk in letting somebody hang around the organization after they have expressed their intention to move on.

Reactions: aceman39
I also see both sides and it's a hard question to answer. I feel that if a player is on a team that goes to a bowl, they should play. My reasoning is you committed and were given a scholarship for the entire time unless you decide to transfer, and you should go honor that commitment. I know about leaving early for the money arguments but what about someone's word? Would one more game cause them or their family more harm that the last 4 years? Where do we draw the line? Should they leave after 11 games, or should they start leaving after 10, 9, 8, or less games? What does that tell the pro team they are signing with? Does it say that you don't honor your commitments? As stated, I see both sides but at some point in life you must take responsibility that your actions affect others less fortunate (no pro offers), and the bowl game is their last game. Are you a team player or just an individual? I guess if all anyone ever thinks about anymore is themselves, it is expected, and accepted but the world is not a better place because of it. JMHO.

I agree you can’t change a player’s mind but what coaches can do is impress the idea of sticking with your teammates. You have to plant that idea first so the players want to play and win the bowl game.

Reactions: Neanderthal
I see both sides of the argument. If I’m a sure fired NFL draft pick, and my family doesn’t have much, I might opt out as well. Insurance policies are available, but can some of these poorer kids afford one.

CFP games are one thing, the Cheezit or Mayo Bowl are another. A chance to win a NC is enough incentive to play, mid to low tier bowls? Perhaps not???

Of course, the other side of the argument of opting out is it let’s down your teammates, coaches, fans, etc. Do you finish what you started????
The same injury risk exists for a National Championship Bowl as for a lower tier Boal. It just tells me a player is fearful of injury. If I’m a pro scout that tells me something about how the player will play as a pro.

I noticed only half the article was about the players opting out. Everyone mysteriously forgets their righteous indignation when it comes to coaches leaving their current schools for greener (read: RICHER) pastures.

The fire-breahthers have been mighty quiet overall when it comes to Kelly, Riley, Cristobal and even McIlwain leaving early.

I'll say this. Some of you have never grew up in poverty and it really shows. Going to the NFL is basically like hitting the lottery, and they don't want to mess up the opportunity for that check to help out their family. Who am I to judge and call them selfish for that.
Name the last superstar that got hurt in a bowl game and was never heard from again. Marcus wasn’t hurt in a bowl game.

I'll say this. Some of you have never grew up in poverty and it really shows. Going to the NFL is basically like hitting the lottery, and they don't want to mess up the opportunity for that check to help out their family. Who am I to judge and call them selfish for that.
Was going to say the same thing. I did grow up poor, and I do have loyalty …. To my family.

if I can put a roof over their heads I’m going to do that. I don’t care if other people think I have “honor” or not. Those are all silly words said by people with plenty already. Must be a luxury to worry about optics like that.

I noticed only half the article was about the players opting out. Everyone mysteriously forgets their righteous indignation when it comes to coaches leaving their current schools for greener (read: RICHER) pastures.

The fire-breahthers have been mighty quiet overall when it comes to Kelly, Riley, Cristobal and even McIlwain leaving early.
I agree, but I feel fairly certain none of those coaches were given the option to stay around to coach the bowl game.

I think the highly publicized carousel of coaches is enough to make a kid with any shot at reaching the NFL say “it’s my turn to get paid”. Just this year, New Years Six head coaches (major bowls) and playoff assistant coaches have grabbed the gold coin. I hate it as a fan, but I don’t lose any respect for these kids at all. I realize everyone has their line in the sand on this, and my post won’t change any minds. But this is a billion dollar business, and the coaches and the conferences and the schools and TV all treat it like a billion dollar business. But why would we recoil when the kids that support that billion dollar business treat it like one too?

Reactions: Legendary Cock
So, in other words, money talks? Interesting...
I’m saying their previous schools told them to move on. If I’m one of those P5 ADs and my coach decides to leave for LSU, Miami, So Cal, etc., he sure isn’t going to be given the option of sticking around for a month of bowl prep.

I’m saying their previous schools told them to move on. If I’m one of those P5 ADs and my coach decides to leave for LSU, Miami, So Cal, etc., he sure isn’t going to be given the option of sticking around for a month of bowl prep.
But the point is everyone acts like it's just business as usual when coaches and ADs do what's in their best interests.

But when a player dares to do the same, he gets branded a quitter, disloyal, selfish, etc. It's pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

But the point is everyone acts like it's just business as usual when coaches and ADs do what's in their best interests.

But when a player dares to do the same, he gets branded a quitter, disloyal, selfish, etc. It's pretty hypocritical if you ask me.
I’ve always thought it was hypocritical when coaches were allowed to switch schools freely, but players had to sit a year (or even two if their previous school didn’t approve).

I’ve always thought it was hypocritical when coaches were allowed to switch schools freely, but players had to sit a year (or even two if their previous school didn’t approve).
I agree. But now that the playing field has been leveled, there are those that only point fingers at the players. (Not necessarily you.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I agree. But now that the playing field has been leveled, there are those only point fingers at the players. (Not necessarily you.)

So far, I don’t have much of anything negative to say about the transfer portal. I’m not as definitive on kids sitting out games (bowls, and now even regular season) to “prepare for the NFL draft. I certainly understand why players do this, and I would think these players would certainly understand why fans would feel differently about these players.

If somebody doesn't want to be on the team any more, I'm probably better off as a coach letting them skip the bowl than persuading them to stay. It's too much trouble and drama to deal with a player who doesn't want to be there. If he actually did get injured in the bowl game, it would all fall on me as the guy who "made" him play in the game.

Having said that, if you opt-out of the bowl, there has to be an understanding that you are no longer on team. Muschamp's business of letting a player skip the bowl but continue to practice with the team and even be on the sidelines during the bowl was just ridiculous. It's not punishment and it's not done in anger. It's business. And like any business upon being given their 2-weeks notice by a middle-manager, you go ahead and show him the door today. There's just too much risk in letting somebody hang around the organization after they have expressed their intention to move on.
Good points.........plus, if you're skipping the bowl and the coach let's you practice, you'll feel like an idiot if you get hurt in practice.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque

When compared to pro sports money, most all of us would be considered as having grown up in poverty

I’m sure all of the coaches agree with Leach. He’s the only one with enough gumption to say it. I can’t imagine bailing out on your coaches and teammates but it’s a different day and age.

When compared to pro sports money, most all of us would be considered as having grown up in poverty
Whatever man, you know what I mean. Like someone mentioned in this thread, I'm going to be loyal to my family over everything else. If my family is fighting evictions and can hardly keep on their lights, you damn right I'll skip a bowl game to prepare for the draft.

There are going to be players who woukd rather start the holidays instead of playing more football outside of the regular season. Those same guys probably limit a teams potential throughout the season also. Part of recruiting is identifying and weeding out attitudes like that.

Last edited:
Whatever man, you know what I mean. Like someone mentioned in this thread, I'm going to be loyal to my family over everything else. If my family is fighting evictions and can hardly keep on their lights, you damn right I'll skip a bowl game to prepare for the draft.

Dont necessarily disagree. Just saying that when sports has become such a priority as to demand life changing money, something is wrong

How many of them fit that description? Got to be some that do not. They just don’t want to play.

Everybody wants to win 6 to be bowl eligible, then don’t want to play. Maybe the bowl system should be scrapped.

Reactions: jonesz21
I you can play in senior bowl you can play in our bowl

Like it or not, this is a business.

These young men are making a business decision.
And college football is an internship.

Might bruise these coaches’ massive egos, but a player with designs on being a top 150 pick, and starting their professional careers, aren’t going to be stressing about ending their internship a little early. Especially since their next employer doesn’t care if they call it a career at the college level before the dollar tree bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT