ADVERTISEMENT

Mississippi State beats Georgia 68- 67 on technical foul for fan throwing object on court

uscusc1987

May 30, 2008
Did anyone see this. Mississippi State gets technical with 5 seconds left in game from fan throwing something on the court and wins 68-67

So, we dress up like CU fans, go to their game, and throw something on the court to T up CU? Nah

Reactions: rogue cock
It wasn’t 5 seconds, it was 1/2 a second. He still had the 2nd FT to make from the shooting foul. So technically, the technical didn’t cost them. It may have made Weatherspoon feel a little less pressure on the shot. Tough call in that situation, meaning the foul call. Tough night for the Gamecocks with MSU escaping and Florida upsetting LSU in Baton Rouge.

Reactions: Jpcooper
What's really bad is the object was thrown after he had missed the FT.

He didn’t get to shoot that FT again. He missed the 1st. Object thrown. They called a technical. He shot the technical FT. Missed the 2nd FT from the foul on purpose. But yea, he definitely feels more pressure on that 2nd attempt if no tech. So it altered the game in some way.

I’ll say this...I guess you have to do whatever you can to win as a coach. But watching Howland lobby for that Tech...it kind of shows what’s wrong with some sports and especially basketball. It’s become a game of acting and strategy not good for the game. There absolutely should’ve been a warning. But who in the hell wants to win a game because a fan threw a stuffed bulldog on the court.

Crean’s Handshake was as fast as I’ve seen. Awful to see the refs end a game like that. From the angle I saw it didn’t appear he was fouled on the jumpshot. Not saying he wasn’t, just didn’t look that convincing from the angle they showed, especially at that moment of the game.

Reactions: ansoncock
He didn’t get to shoot that FT again. He missed the 1st. Object thrown. They called a technical. He shot the technical FT. Missed the 2nd FT from the foul on purpose. But yea, he definitely feels more pressure on that 2nd attempt if no tech. So it altered the game in some way.
I might be wrong I'm old but I thought he'd already missed it. Let's go to the replay.... After review the ball was already in the air and free throw missed he never saw the stuffed thing during the shot.

I might be wrong I'm old but I thought he'd already missed it. Let's go to the replay.

He did already miss. But he was at the line to shoot 2. Missed the first (that’s 1). They called a technical foul. He shot the next one for a tech, not a re-do of the 1st one. And then he got the second FT from the foul.

First FT: Missed
Technical Foul: Made
2nd FT: Missed Intentionally

Had they ruled the object had effected the shot, he would’ve been able to shoot that again, shoot the technical, and then the 2nd FT from the foul (4 shots as opposed to 3)

First FT: Violation
Technical Foul
First FT again
2nd FT

He did already miss. But he was at the line to shoot 2. Missed the first (that’s 1). They called a technical foul. He shot the next one for a tech, not a re-do of the 1st one. And then he got the second FT from the foul.

Had they ruled the object had effected the shot, he would’ve been able to shoot that again, shoot the technical, and then the 2nd FT from the foul (4 shots as opposed to 3)
Okay then if you gone get huffy about it....lol. You're right.:D

Reactions: Carolina4
It wasn’t 5 seconds, it was 1/2 a second. He still had the 2nd FT to make from the shooting foul. So technically, the technical didn’t cost them. It may have made Weatherspoon feel a little less pressure on the shot. Tough call in that situation, meaning the foul call. Tough night for the Gamecocks with MSU escaping and Florida upsetting LSU in Baton Rouge.

In essence, we're still 3 full games ahead of Florida (2 games, plus we own the tie breaker) and the same versus Mississippi State. If we beat State on Saturday, that pretty much will keep them out of 4th place and solidify our position.

The only thing I was confused about was the technical foul rule. I thought that if a tech is called against team A, team B gets a foul shot (or two) AND possession. Has the rule changed at some point? Or is it different because (in this case) team B was already in possession of the ball by way of being at the line? I was expecting to see MSU get to inbound the ball after their foul shots.....

In essence, we're still 3 full games ahead of Florida (2 games, plus we own the tie breaker) and the same versus Mississippi State. If we beat State on Saturday, that pretty much will keep them out of 4th place and solidify our position.

While true, I’m not worried about position in the SEC but rather our position in the minds of the selection committee.

I have never heard of that being called a technical without a warning coming first. If I was Jawja I'd be furious! Both teams are bulldogs. Who knows who threw it. That's why a warning always comes prior to a tech.

Reactions: vacock#
Did anyone see this. Mississippi State gets technical with 5 seconds left in game from fan throwing something on the court and wins 68-67

Dang I guess this means Clemson will beat us next year if we throw water bottle at then

It really is a bad precedent to set, giving a T without a warning. Heck, many visiting team’s fans could take one for the team and launch something to get a tech called on the home team in a similar situation. Will anyone be in Starkeville Saturday? If so, you know what to do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT