ADVERTISEMENT

MJ vs Lebron

Jordan is by far the 1) most popular, 2) most famous, and 3) the most hyped player in history, no small thanks to those ridiculous looking, outrageously priced, patent leather trimmed basketball shoes, lol. Both Jordan and James are unbelievably great players for their eras, but to ignore Wilt, Russell, Robertson, West and Baylor in the conversation, as well as Magic, Bird, Erving and Kareem speaks of generational or maybe just TV ad-hype bias. It's true that today's players are bigger, faster and stronger than previous generations (excepting Wilt, of course .... very possibly the greatest natural athlete in US history), but each era presents its different baggage. The NBA played a much slower and much more brutally physical defensive game in the 1960's-1970's than it has been since, with all of the rule changes now favoring offensive players. The 3-pointer didn't appear until 1979-1980, which made practical the run-and-gun style of today, with limited and mostly porous defense, jacking up scoring averages. Jordan's six titles in the 1990's came when the NBA was at it's lowest talent levels, watered down by expansion, poor management in front offices, and the changing of the guard with perennial powers. Remember who the Bulls beat in '97 and '98 for the NBA finals? Yep- the Jazz, with an old Karl Malone and an even older John Stockton, then both in their mid-to-late 30's when they couldn't even sniff the finals during their prime years (with arguably better supporting casts) during the late 1980's. LeBron has basically "followed the talent" to grab titles since his first stint in Cleveland, just like Kevin Durant has done in the last couple of years. Incidentally, KD possesses the best all-around individual skill set (post play, long range shooting, mid-range jumper, ball-handling, foot speed, rebounding, driving, jumping, passing and defense, when he feels like it) that I've ever seen in NBA basketball, including MJ and LBJ. However, I certainly don't consider him among the best ever - at least not yet. My point being, it's hard to compare players from different generations in any sport, so let's just enjoy each of them while they're at their peak.

I think you're spot on with most of what you said except for a couple of things. Malone and Stockton were 33 and 34 when they played the Bulls in the Finals the first time. Stockton was only one year older than Malone. Also, Malone won the MVP the first year they met the Bulls in the Finals and won it again the year after MJ retired the second time. It's not accurate to say that he was past his prime at that point.

Stockton may have been a year removed from his streak of 9 season leading the NBA in assists, but he was still a very good player at the time. A better team to make your point with would be the 96 SuperSonics with Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp. I would put them as the worst team that Jordan ever faced in the Finals with Portland being the second worst. The Jazz were probably the 2nd best behind the Lakers.

Also, as impressive as Durant has been I wouldn't put him over Lebron in terms of all-around skill set. I would put Lebron ahead of him in every category except outside shooting.

I'm just browsing this thread, but I have to say the first page is full of inaccuracies that make me question if the posters involved actually watched the NBA during Jordan's career.

MJ was a finesse player.

Say what? Are you sure you're talking about the same Michael Jordan? MJ was a relentless force when it came to attacking the basket. He made his name initially by driving the lane in a league where there was super handchecking and no such thing as a flagrant. After getting beaten to a pulp physically by the Bad Boys, he became one of the first NBA players to embrace weight lifting and bulked up considerably.

The added bulk allowed him to continue to pound the lane and then become the greatest post-up guard of all time. He was the best post player in the NBA this side of Olajuwon, and that was in a time when defenders could keep their forearm in your back down in the post. He dominated people in the post regardless of size and was extremely durable as a player. His only major injury was a broken foot that caused him to miss most of his second season. He came back early from that injury against doctor's orders and went on to drop 63 and 48 on the Bird Celtics in the playoffs.

He was also a bird dog on defense who teamed with Pippen to form the "Doberman Defense" because both were long, physical athletes who were relentless on defense. He is not only the best player of all time but the best defensive two guard of all time and unlike Lebron in recent years never showed any cracks as far as getting roasted playing on-ball defense. Go look at last year's Finals and watch not only KD but Andre Iguodala make LBJ look like he was standing in cement. The same has happened at various times this season, as the Cavs have slid tremendously on defense, LBJ included.

Lebron can play any position on the floor. Can’t say that about MJ. I believe Lebron is the best ever.

This is patently false. LBJ has never played center for any extended minutes ever in his career. He may have gotten some run there in the 2015 Finals when GSW went to their ultra short death lineup, but Lebron has never played the 5 position with any regularity and would get destroyed by the good centers in the game. LBJ can log decent minutes at the 1-4 positions depending on lineups, and MJ could play the 1-3 positions. MJ played PG for an entire season with the Bulls under Doug Collins. You really think LBJ is going to match up with the Ewing/Olajuwon/Robinson/Shaq type centers that played during MJ's era? No way in hell.

Under today's rules Jordan would shoot 20 fts per game. He would also average 50-60 points per game...

This is absolutely true as far as the FTAs. Not sure about what he would ultimately average pointswise, but his already incredible numbers would be augmented substantially, both in terms of points and FG%. So many times in his era he'd miss a shot that in today's game would be an automatic FTA due to handchecking. People who didn't watch his era don't understand the impact of the physicality of the game. LBJ is big enough to withstand that beating, but if you let MJ play with today's no handcheck rules, he would dominate the league way worse than he already did. People try to talk about zone, yet nobody in the NBA plays zone. To play zone effectively, you have to commit full time like Boeheim at Syracuse. You don't just pop into it, and today's NBA teams don't run much zone at all. Either way, MJ had a much better jumper than LBJ, and he was better at attacking the rim. The tradeoff between no handchecking and the <5% of zone defense that gets played today would be a huge landslide in MJ's favor.

Lebron is probably better all around and a better post player but he's two inches taller and much heavier-which helps when scoring in paint/rebounding/blocking shots and so forth. Both were/are great athletes. Who would I want to have the ball with a few seconds on the clock? MJ easily.

LBJ is nowhere near the post player that MJ was. Lebron has been puzzling in terms of his inability to develop a dependable post game the way MJ and Kobe did. Kobe mimicked MJ's turnaround fadeaway and actually worked with Olajuwon to develop his low post game. LBJ for all his size has never made it a point to bully his way into being a dependable post player. He finally showed some glimpses when the Ws were forced to go ultra small in the 2015 Finals, but he doesn't have one particular move he can go to regularly like MJ could. MJ was the best post player in the NBA during his second threepeat with the exception of Olajuwon.

As for the last second shot in a Finals game...yeah that is no contest. Jordan is 3/3 on those while LBJ has yet to hit one.

MJ lost in the first round, LeBron never has. Also, MJ never won a playoff series without Scottie. Going 1-9 in playoff games before teaming up with another hall of famer.

This one really irritates me. Let's get some things straight with regard to losing in the first round. First off, LBJ missed the playoffs his first two seasons. MJ never missed the playoffs. Now guess what MJ got for taking his teams to the playoffs in a time when the East was the dominant conference? He got to play Larry Bird's Celtics twice...with no Grant, no Pippen. The 86 Celtics are considered by many to be the greatest NBA team of all time, and MJ put 63 and 48 on them while still losing.

In fact, here are the win totals of MJ's first round opponents that he lost to...

Rookie year: Bucks 59 wins
Second year: Celtics 67 wins NBA champs
Third year: Celtics 59 wins NBA champ runner-up

Now let's look at LBJ:

Rookie year: missed playoffs
Second year: missed playoffs
Third year: Wizards 42 wins
Fourth year: Wizards 41 wins
Fifth year: Wizards 43 wins

So Jordan, with nobody around him, took on one of the most legendary squads in NBA history not once but twice in those first round losses, and on average he went up against a 62-win team. Meanwhile, LBJ gave himself two additional years to have a roster built around him because he missed the damn playoffs, and when he got there into a much weaker Eastern Conference, he faced three nondescript Washington Wizard teams who were barely above .500 on average.

So when you want to run your mouth about losing in the first round, it's very important to compare apples to apples and provide the full context. You really think the guy that Larry Bird called "God dressed as Michael Jordan" would have any trouble playing a 42 win Wizards team in the playoffs? Come on, now.

It is interesting to note that the teams that knocked MJ out of the playoffs before he won were the Bird Celtics and the Bad Boys (and man would it be fun to watch the Bad Boys try to beat the Bulls with today's wussy no handchecking rules...good luck with that). Little bit different level of competition than what LBJ has feasted on in the Leastern Conference.

Also, Pippen was a shadow of himself when the Bulls started winning playoff series. In Pippen's first two seasons, the Bulls advanced to the second round and the ECF. His numbers were 10/5/2 and 13/7/4...he wasn't anywhere close to his HOF form when MJ started making deep playoff runs.

Here is my problem with only counting the finals in this thing and that being the only factor. It takes a team to win a championship not an individual. Lebron has done more with less. Other than when he was in Miami he had not really had a supporting crew. MJ consistently had more than what Lebron has dealt with. MJ played with HOF Lebron not so much.

This is absolutely ludicrous. I will give you the first Finals appearance, although the East sucked anyway so it wasn't like he had to beat a monster team. Still....the dude left to go to Miami to join forces with a guy who was already a Finals MVP in DWade and then another perennial All-Star in Bosh. He then filled in that roster with guys like Mike Miller and Ray Allen who went on to bail LBJ out of another Finals loss by hitting that miracle 3 pointer in the corner in Game 6 vs the Spurs. So he builds his own All Star team with a couple of HOFers on the roster who played huge roles in winning rings for him. Then, he goes to Cleveland and joins a top 10 player in the league who barring injury will be a HOFer in Kyrie Irving and a multiple All-Star and double-double machine in Kevin Love.

Now the kicker to all of this is that the East has absolutely sucked this whole time compared to Jordan's East. Up until this year, LBJ EASILY had the most talent of any team in the East from the time he went to Miami through last year with the Cavs. The East is so bad this year that the ECF is going to have one team missing its two superstar players in the Celtics and a Cavs team that turned its roster over at midseason.

Meanwhile, Jordan had to go up against Bird's Celtics and the freaking Bad Boys, both of whom were legendary squads. And did you realize that Horace Grant never even made an All-Star team with the Bulls? The whole going to the Finals every year argument totally ignores the lack of competition in the East now. We know from his Finals record that if LBJ played in the tougher conference like MJ did in his era that LBJ would have only made it to 3 Finals (and one of those was a gift when the NBA stepped in to suspend Draymond for hurting people's feelings too much when the Cavs were down 1-3).

If you think today's weak Eastern Conference compares in any way to what Jordan faced, then you just don't know the game. Today's NBA is like the early 90s NFL when the real Super Bowl was the 49ers-Cowboys in the NFC Championship.

But let me leave you with this thought about the Finals...how about the time Lebron took his handpicked superteam from Miami and then proceeded to choke against a heavy underdog in the Dallas Mavericks? To add insult to injury, Lebron got punked by role player Jason Jet Terry. Jet went to the media during the Finals and literally called out LBJ and dared Lebron to guard him. What happened? The Mavs went to a lineup that featured Jet and little JJ Barea, and Jet murdered Lebron while the Mavs won 4 games in a row for the title. This wasn't Kevin Durant or Steph Curry calling him out in the Finals...this was little role player Jason Terry.

Now ask yourself this....would any NBA player dare to call out Michael Jordan in the NBA Finals? The thought of it is so ridiculous. People were scared of Jordan. They knew he played his best on the brightest stage. LBJ actually had a game in that Mavs Finals where he scored 8 points. 8 points. When your team needs you most. Meanwhile MJ, had a Finals series where he AVERAGED 41 ppg en route to one of his 6 Finals MVP trophies. The dude averaged 41 points when you could handcheck...Seriously.

And it wasn't just the Mavs series. When the Heat lost to the Spurs in the Finals, they did so by the largest per game margin in NBA Finals history during that gentleman's sweep. 21 year old Kawhi Leonard won the MVP and outplayed LBJ head-to-head. The games were mostly blowouts by the half, so LBJ piled up some garbage stats in the second half of those games while the Spurs emptied the bench, but Kawhi outplayed him in front of the whole world. Imagine a 21 year old player trying to go head up with Michael Jordan in his prime. Yikes.

Anyway, hopefully this post goes through. I just saw a lot of inaccuracies being thrown around and wanted to give my two cents. LBJ is one of the all time greats and the best of his era, but it is comical to see people overreact to him beating up on tomato cans in the East. Now he gets to play a crippled Celtics team before he gets run out of the Finals. His fans will say that he had no shot against the superior talent of the West, but they will still give him all the credit for beating a crippled Celtics team with no talent in the ECF to make it to another Finals loss. I see people ask who is the best team Jordan beat in the Finals relative to the Ws, but who is the best team that LBJ has beaten in the East during this run?

Last edited:
Reactions: TRUEGARNET
I'm just browsing this thread, but I have to say the first page is full of inaccuracies that make me question if the posters involved actually watched the NBA during Jordan's career.

This one really irritates me. Let's get some things straight with regard to losing in the first round. First off, LBJ missed the playoffs his first two seasons. MJ never missed the playoffs. Now guess what MJ got for taking his teams to the playoffs in a time when the East was the dominant conference? He got to play Larry Bird's Celtics twice...with no Grant, no Pippen. The 86 Celtics are considered by many to be the greatest NBA team of all time, and MJ put 63 and 48 on them while still losing.

In fact, here are the win totals of MJ's first round opponents that he lost to...

Rookie year: Bucks 59 wins
Second year: Celtics 67 wins NBA champs
Third year: Celtics 59 wins NBA champ runner-up

Now let's look at LBJ:

Rookie year: missed playoffs
Second year: missed playoffs
Third year: Wizards 42 wins
Fourth year: Wizards 41 wins
Fifth year: Wizards 43 wins

So Jordan, with nobody around him, took on one of the most legendary squads in NBA history not once but twice in those first round losses, and on average he went up against a 62-win team. Meanwhile, LBJ gave himself two additional years to have a roster built around him because he missed the damn playoffs, and when he got there into a much weaker Eastern Conference, he faced three nondescript Washington Wizard teams who were barely above .500 on average.

So when you want to run your mouth about losing in the first round, it's very important to compare apples to apples and provide the full context. You really think the guy that Larry Bird called "God dressed as Michael Jordan" would have any trouble playing a 42 win Wizards team in the playoffs? Come on, now.

It is interesting to note that the teams that knocked MJ out of the playoffs before he won were the Bird Celtics and the Bad Boys (and man would it be fun to watch the Bad Boys try to beat the Bulls with today's wussy no handchecking rules...good luck with that). Little bit different level of competition than what LBJ has feasted on in the Leastern Conference.

Also, Pippen was a shadow of himself when the Bulls started winning playoff series. In Pippen's first two seasons, the Bulls advanced to the second round and the ECF. His numbers were 10/5/2 and 13/7/4...he wasn't anywhere close to his HOF form when MJ started making deep playoff runs.

You can dress it up and spin it with as many words as you want, but facts are facts. 1-9 in the playoffs without Pippen and one of either Grant or Rodman. The part about LBJ having extra time for Cleveland to build a roster around him is incredibly hilarious, considering they never did it. That's why LeBron joined the Heat. He knew having Drew Gooden or Zydrunas Ilgauskas as his 2nd best players would never get him anywhere (even though he actually dragged that crew of flunkies to the Finals, which is way more impressive than MJ getting to the ECF with a young Pippen). Ironically he knew this because he saw even Jordan needed Pippen and either Rodman or Grant to get rings. Everybody needs help. It's ok to admit it. I don't know why so many vocal MJ fans are averse to it, but I think more of those who do.
Also I think it's amusing that you're more impressed by losing to good teams than you are by beating bad teams. As coach Herm Edwards says, "You play to win the game!" Ws > Ls under any circumstance.
Edit: to add this final thought. I think it's incredibly close as to which of these 2 is the greatest of all-time and I don't fault anyone for picking either. The group that baffles me are the ones who worship MJ like a god and write 5-page essays full of fluff and spin every time they seen LeBron mentioned in the conversation.

Last edited:
They played in different eras under different rules... MJ played in an era where defenders could pound on you for 48 without getting T'ed up.. If you look at LeBron hard, he is shooting free throws...
Back when I played a little ball, we used hand-checking all the time and it was never called. It started in the pros and worked its was down all the way to the high schools. I miss it. It kept the offensive player from "using" the defender quite as much. I think basketball lost something when they stopped allowing it. I think hand-checking ought to be OK as long as there is no pushing or grabbing, but I doubt we will ever see it again.

Michael Jordan played during the end of the hand-checking era.

Reactions: Wickedrooster
Remembering MJ knocking the hand check off two or three times just before abusing the guy. Cool memory.

He was SO much better than everyone else. I don't see the same gap with James.
Did you catch this most recent series with Toronto? Game 2 especially, it looked as though LeBron couldn't miss if he wanted to. Not to mention adding 14 assists.

Lebron can play any position on the floor. Can’t say that about MJ. I believe Lebron is the best ever.
This is patently false. LBJ has never played center for any extended minutes ever in his career. He may have gotten some run there in the 2015 Finals when GSW went to their ultra short death lineup, but Lebron has never played the 5 position with any regularity and would get destroyed by the good centers in the game. LBJ can log decent minutes at the 1-4 positions depending on lineups, and MJ could play the 1-3 positions. MJ played PG for an entire season with the Bulls under Doug Collins. You really think LBJ is going to match up with the Ewing/Olajuwon/Robinson/Sha

Do you comprehend the English language? I said Lebron “could” play all 5 positions. MJ was too small to play inside. Not much of a PG either.

Reactions: dhsdhsdhs
Do you comprehend the English language? I said Lebron “could” play all 5 positions. MJ was too small to play inside. Not much of a PG either.

Not much of a PG? History disagrees with you:

Doug Collins decided to move Jordan to the point guard spot against Seattle on March 11, 1989. He finished that game with 15 assists. Two days later, he had a game of 21/14/14 against the Pacers in just 30 minutes of playing time in a 32-point blowout win. He reached the triple double mark in just 21 minutes.

Jordan continued to play at the PG spot until the end of the season. In these 24 games he averaged 30.4 pts, 9.2 rebs, 10.7 asts & 2.4 stls. Between March 24 and April 14, 1989, he recorded a triple double in ten of the eleven games, including seven consecutive ones. In the game he didn’t record a TD, he finished with 40 points, 11 assists and 7 rebounds.

In the featured game above, he had 16 assists against the Lakers and tied his career-high which was set in his rookie year – Three days later, on March 24, he set a new career-high with 17 assists at Portland.

For their careers, LBJ averages 7 apg while Jordan averaged 5 apg. Jordan had a season where he averaged 33 ppg and 8 apg, so your idea that he couldn't play point guard doesn't hold water. Not that it matters, anyway. He was a shooting guard and the best to ever do it. Nobody asks Tom Brady to go play TE or DB for the Patriots.

The LBJ playing center idea is laughable. He's never done it for any amount of time, so let's get rid of the "could" talk 15 years into his career. He would get eaten alive by the legit big men in this league.

You can dress it up and spin it with as many words as you want, but facts are facts. 1-9 in the playoffs without Pippen and one of either Grant or Rodman.

Son, I just gave you the hard facts of the matter. There is no dressing it up or spinning it.

MJ made the playoffs every year of his career. When he was eliminated in the first round, it was by teams that AVERAGED 62 wins.

LBJ missed the playoffs his first two years. Then he played garbage Wizards teams that averaged 42 wins his first three years.

So to recap...when you say MJ lost in the first round and LBJ never lost in the first, it's because MJ actually made the playoffs each of his first three seasons while LBJ only made it to the playoffs once in his first three seasons. Then the icing on the cake is the fact that MJ had to go up against the freaking Larry Bird Celtics in the first round while LBJ had to go up against Gilbert Arenas lol.

One guy played teams that averaged 62 wins in his first three seasons while getting eliminated in the first round. The other guy missed the whole damn playoffs which is worse than losing in the first round and then played a team with 42 wins in the first round his third year. 62>42 by a wide margin last time I checked. It's obvious you don't understand who Larry Bird, Dennis Johnson, Kevin McHale, Robert Parrish, etc were in Boston. Read up on your NBA history before you embarrass yourself further.

I also laid out to you that Pippen barely averaged double digits when MJ went to the conference semis and the conference finals, so don't try to make it seem like him playing with Pippen in 1989 was the same as LBJ hightailing it to Miami to join DWade who was already a Finals MVP and Bosh who was already a multiyear All Star.

Also I think it's amusing that you're more impressed by losing to good teams than you are by beating bad teams. As coach Herm Edwards says, "You play to win the game!" Ws > Ls under any circumstance.

And I find it amusing that you are apparently more impressed by missing the whole damn playoffs than losing in the first round. "You play to win the game!" doesn't work when you're sitting at home watching the playoffs. In Jordan's second year in the league, he was dropping 63 points at Boston Garden in the playoff. In LBJ's second year in the league, he was "gone fishing" before the playoffs even started.

I'm simply point out the absurdity of using the first round as some kind of comparison when LBJ couldn't even make it into the playoffs the first two years and then played terrible teams from a terrible Eastern Conference when he did.

Finals >>>>>>>>> first round last time I checked, and MJ was 6-0 with not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, but 6 Finals MVP trophies. If you prize winning above all else like you should, then I'll take Mr. 6-0 in the Finals over the guy who got punked by Jet Terry in the Finals.

So would you say the same about athleticism in football? How is football any different than basketball in terms of athletic progress? The answer is that it is no different. The athwart Ed are faster and more gifted today than before. The rules and officiating have changed and have possibly changed the game, but it doesn't mean the players are not as athletic or as talented.
I don't think people are more or less talented or athletic today than 20 years ago. Student athletes that I work with think that people in 1980s and 1990s were out of shape and not nearly as athletic as the current players. As is often the case, they're wrong.

Not much of a PG? History disagrees with you:

Doug Collins decided to move Jordan to the point guard spot against Seattle on March 11, 1989. He finished that game with 15 assists. Two days later, he had a game of 21/14/14 against the Pacers in just 30 minutes of playing time in a 32-point blowout win. He reached the triple double mark in just 21 minutes.

Jordan continued to play at the PG spot until the end of the season. In these 24 games he averaged 30.4 pts, 9.2 rebs, 10.7 asts & 2.4 stls. Between March 24 and April 14, 1989, he recorded a triple double in ten of the eleven games, including seven consecutive ones. In the game he didn’t record a TD, he finished with 40 points, 11 assists and 7 rebounds.

In the featured game above, he had 16 assists against the Lakers and tied his career-high which was set in his rookie year – Three days later, on March 24, he set a new career-high with 17 assists at Portland.

For their careers, LBJ averages 7 apg while Jordan averaged 5 apg. Jordan had a season where he averaged 33 ppg and 8 apg, so your idea that he couldn't play point guard doesn't hold water. Not that it matters, anyway. He was a shooting guard and the best to ever do it. Nobody asks Tom Brady to go play TE or DB for the Patriots.

The LBJ playing center idea is laughable. He's never done it for any amount of time, so let's get rid of the "could" talk 15 years into his career. He would get eaten alive by the legit big men in this league.

Son, I just gave you the hard facts of the matter. There is no dressing it up or spinning it.

MJ made the playoffs every year of his career. When he was eliminated in the first round, it was by teams that AVERAGED 62 wins.

LBJ missed the playoffs his first two years. Then he played garbage Wizards teams that averaged 42 wins his first three years.

So to recap...when you say MJ lost in the first round and LBJ never lost in the first, it's because MJ actually made the playoffs each of his first three seasons while LBJ only made it to the playoffs once in his first three seasons. Then the icing on the cake is the fact that MJ had to go up against the freaking Larry Bird Celtics in the first round while LBJ had to go up against Gilbert Arenas lol.

One guy played teams that averaged 62 wins in his first three seasons while getting eliminated in the first round. The other guy missed the whole damn playoffs which is worse than losing in the first round and then played a team with 42 wins in the first round his third year. 62>42 by a wide margin last time I checked. It's obvious you don't understand who Larry Bird, Dennis Johnson, Kevin McHale, Robert Parrish, etc were in Boston. Read up on your NBA history before you embarrass yourself further.

I also laid out to you that Pippen barely averaged double digits when MJ went to the conference semis and the conference finals, so don't try to make it seem like him playing with Pippen in 1989 was the same as LBJ hightailing it to Miami to join DWade who was already a Finals MVP and Bosh who was already a multiyear All Star.

And I find it amusing that you are apparently more impressed by missing the whole damn playoffs than losing in the first round. "You play to win the game!" doesn't work when you're sitting at home watching the playoffs. In Jordan's second year in the league, he was dropping 63 points at Boston Garden in the playoff. In LBJ's second year in the league, he was "gone fishing" before the playoffs even started.

I'm simply point out the absurdity of using the first round as some kind of comparison when LBJ couldn't even make it into the playoffs the first two years and then played terrible teams from a terrible Eastern Conference when he did.

Finals >>>>>>>>> first round last time I checked, and MJ was 6-0 with not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, but 6 Finals MVP trophies. If you prize winning above all else like you should, then I'll take Mr. 6-0 in the Finals over the guy who got punked by Jet Terry in the Finals.

Playing the "you don't agree with my opinion, so you're embarrassing yourself, and you don't know the NBA" card on only your second post, lol. You're cracking.
Ok, no spin only true or false:
True or False: MJ missed the playoffs twice with Washington? (And I know you'll bring it up, so I'll head it off here: Yes, if he's still playing, I think LeBron will make the playoffs in his age 38 and 39 seasons).
True or False: MJ only won one playoff game without Scottie?
True or False: the 85-86 Bulls made the playoffs with MJ only playing the first 18 games of the season?
True or False: the 93-94 Bulls made the 2nd round of the playoffs without MJ?
True or False: The 10-11 Cavs were in the lottery?
True or False: The 14-15 Heat were in the lottery?

And for the record, yes. I would rather win against Gilbert Arenas than lose to Larry Bird.
Again he's one of the top 2 guys of all-time, but he wasn't perfect. I don't know why that statement makes some people's heads explode.

Oh yeah, and sure Jason Terry beat Lebron. It had nothing to do with Hall of Famers Jason Kidd or Dirk Nowitzki. That's like saying John Paxson punked Charles Barkley and the Suns.

Reactions: cornstock84
lol now you're scrambling for Wizards era Jordan? You really think Lebron, who has already hopped onto 2 readymade All Star teams will be playing with a scrub team like the Wizards when he's 38 or 39? He'll probably be coming off the bench for the Ws trying to catch another ring.

Comparing 40 year old Jordan playing on a garbage Wizards team with no other stars at all around him. Please...

And help me out here...Did John Paxson ever go to the media during the Finals and say that Charles Barkley couldn't guard him? Did Paxson ever call someone out on the other team? Because Jason Terry absolutely did that and then punked LBJ as the Mavs took 4 straight from them. LBJ was so shook that he scored 8 points in a Finals game. 8 points. That's hilarious. The whole world saw that meltdown on the biggest stage.

As for rather winning over Gilbert Arenas than losing to Larry Bird...the issue is when you try to equate one with the other obviously. Of course, if Jordan had missed the playoffs like LBJ did, then he would have avoided that 86 Celtics team.

But I'd personally rather lose to Larry Bird while dropping 63 and 48 on him to the point where Larry Bird one of the GOATs calls me "God disguised as Michael Jordan" than be sitting home or gone fishing.

Would you rather lose in the first round or just miss the playoffs entirely?

If one team beats Vanderbilt, and another team loses to Alabama....are you going to really compare the two events? Of course not. The gibberish you're spouting would wipe out any notion of strength of schedule, which correct me if I'm wrong is a pretty big tenet in sports.

And again....WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THE FIRST ROUND WHEN YOU'RE 6-0 IN THE FINALS. 6-0 IN THE FINALS. 6-0 IN THE FINALS.

Reactions: bosoxcock
lol now you're scrambling for Wizards era Jordan? You really think Lebron, who has already hopped onto 2 readymade All Star teams will be playing with a scrub team like the Wizards when he's 38 or 39? He'll probably be coming off the bench for the Ws trying to catch another ring.

Comparing 40 year old Jordan playing on a garbage Wizards team with no other stars at all around him. Please...

And help me out here...Did John Paxson ever go to the media during the Finals and say that Charles Barkley couldn't guard him? Did Paxson ever call someone out on the other team? Because Jason Terry absolutely did that and then punked LBJ as the Mavs took 4 straight from them. LBJ was so shook that he scored 8 points in a Finals game. 8 points. That's hilarious. The whole world saw that meltdown on the biggest stage.

As for rather winning over Gilbert Arenas than losing to Larry Bird...the issue is when you try to equate one with the other obviously. Of course, if Jordan had missed the playoffs like LBJ did, then he would have avoided that 86 Celtics team.

But I'd personally rather lose to Larry Bird while dropping 63 and 48 on him to the point where Larry Bird one of the GOATs calls me "God disguised as Michael Jordan" than be sitting home or gone fishing.

Would you rather lose in the first round or just miss the playoffs entirely?

If one team beats Vanderbilt, and another team loses to Alabama....are you going to really compare the two events? Of course not. The gibberish you're spouting would wipe out any notion of strength of schedule, which correct me if I'm wrong is a pretty big tenet in sports.

And again....WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THE FIRST ROUND WHEN YOU'RE 6-0 IN THE FINALS. 6-0 IN THE FINALS. 6-0 IN THE FINALS.
The "gibberish" I'm spouting were true or false questions of fact. You ignored them in favor of spinning things, again. Then all caps shouted like a child.
One more: Did Jordan ever defeat a 73-9 team in the Finals?

People can state LBJ is better and that's fine..... BUT, consistently they will be in the minority....because people that have played the game at a high level think different.

Most people that play or played in the NBA... most people who were or are involved in the NBA or been around the NBA..most state Michael Jordan as the GOAT

If you're going to disagree with the above, then there's really no sense in debating the subject further

Last edited:
Endearing introduction, isn't it?
The guy is legitimately trying to compare losing in the first round to Larry Bird's 67-win NBA champion Celtics to beating a 42-win Washington Wizards team (after missing the playoffs altogether).

What should my attitude be towards that type of logic?

Do you guys think Lebron would get more cred if he stayed in Cleveland his entire career?? I think a lot of critics will still bash Lebron because he had to Avengers up with D-Wade and Chris Bosh to get his first two rings . Same thing with KD.

Composed, civil, and personable.
You can question civility I guess, but I laid out facts left and right while making my points. I demonstrated the folly in tossing out that round one garbage. Not sure how much more composed you want than me explaining how and why that comparison is terrible.

FWIW...while not a part of the NBA...the head basketball coach at the University of South Carolina believes Micheal Jordan is GOAT

You can question civility I guess, but I laid out facts left and right while making my points. I demonstrated the folly in tossing out that round one garbage. Not sure how much more composed you want than me explaining how and why that comparison is terrible.
You asked me a question. In answering, I did not remark on your posting style, but only what I think constitutes a salutary approach to discussing things. I don't intend to get in the middle of your discussion.

Last edited:
You asked me a question. In answering, I did not remark on your posing style, but only what I think constitutes a salutary approach to discussing things. I don't intend to get in the middle of your discussion.
You don't intend to get into the actual discussion of the actual thread topic but feel the need to weigh in on my delivery? Seems reasonable.

Since you seem to be struggling with basic premises now, here:
fact
fakt/
noun
  1. a thing that is indisputably the case.
You say losing to Larry Bird in the first round is better than defeating Gilbert Arenas in the first round. (Lots of people would dispute that, it's an opinion).
I say winning in the first round is better than losing in the first round, regardless of competition. (That is potentially disputable because the entire goal of the playoffs is to keep winning, but I'll give it the opinion label).

You say Jordan never missed the playoffs (this is false).
I point out Jordan missed the playoffs twice. (This is indisputable).

I say Jordan went 1-9 in playoff games without Scottie Pippen (this is indisputable).
You talk about how great the opposing team is, even though it doesn't change the indisputable 1-9 record. (This is additional information; it isn't a refutation, and it is subjective, thought I too think Bird's Celtics were great).

I could go on, but I think this makes the point. Though I disagree with your opinions, I don't think you are of subpar intelligence, I don't call you names, I don't type in all caps (i.e. shout), and I don't question your knowledge of the topic at hand. At worst, I've condescendingly pointed out your portrayal of opinion as fact.

People can state LBJ is better and that's fine..... BUT, consistently they will be in the minority....because people that have played the game at a high level think different.

Most people that play or played in the NBA... most people who were or are involved in the NBA or been around the NBA..most state Michael Jordan as the GOAT

If you're going to disagree with the above, then there's really no sense in debating the subject further
It's a good point, but I'll be curious to see how this dynamic changes in 10-15 years when current players are the talking heads. I'd wager the pendulum swings to modern players' contemporaries, but then they were also raised on MJ, so we'll see.

You don't intend to get into the actual discussion of the actual thread topic but feel the need to weigh in on my delivery? Seems reasonable.
Actually, I did make a remark or two earlier in the thread if you would care to go back and look. They were not a part of the discussion you and wentzel were engaged in, so apparently you didn't notice them.

It's a good point, but I'll be curious to see how this dynamic changes in 10-15 years when current players are the talking heads. I'd wager the pendulum swings to modern players' contemporaries, but then they were also raised on MJ, so we'll see.

obviously they're both great "once in a generation" players and if we step back and think about it and try to say one is better than the other, ( and that's everyone right to their opinion) then we really do an injustice to the other one

I think there is another side of this to. Is jordon considered the goat by most because he is more likeable to the public than James. James hurt a lot of peoples perception of him with the Cleveland thing.

My point is theoretically if you had two people with equal stats and things but one was more likeable, I feel like people would say that person is the greatest.

Would MJ go 6-0 if he had to play this Warriors team and Duncan's Spurs team 3x's a piece? Having seen both play, I just think all that can be said is, they are both the G.O.A.T. of their era. The style of B-Ball is to different. I also believe there are more actual SUPERSTARS in the league now that LBJ has to play then MJ did. MJ played a lot of really good teams and a lot of All Stars, but I don't think the talent he played against matches LBJ. MJ had that perfect timing of getting his at the end of a prime Magic, Bird, and bad boy Pistons team and before the Shaq n Kobe/Duncan Spurs team. I just feel playing Finals games against a Aging Lakers and Utah team, Kemp/Payton, Drexler/Robinson, Barkley/KJ....just doesn't hold a candle to what LBJ has played against in the Finals. LBJ also has never played with a legit great/HOF coach. All in all, talent level and era are just to different.

Side note: Would've been nice to see the 95/96 Rockets team get a crack at MJ in the Finals, but baseball prevented one year while Shaq n Penny prevented the other. Its almost like it was just perfect timing for MJ.

Since you seem to be struggling with basic premises now, here:
fact
fakt/
noun
  1. a thing that is indisputably the case.
You say losing to Larry Bird in the first round is better than defeating Gilbert Arenas in the first round. (Lots of people would dispute that, it's an opinion).
I say winning in the first round is better than losing in the first round, regardless of competition. (That is potentially disputable because the entire goal of the playoffs is to keep winning, but I'll give it the opinion label).

You say Jordan never missed the playoffs (this is false).
I point out Jordan missed the playoffs twice. (This is indisputable).

I say Jordan went 1-9 in playoff games without Scottie Pippen (this is indisputable).
You talk about how great the opposing team is, even though it doesn't change the indisputable 1-9 record. (This is additional information; it isn't a refutation, and it is subjective, thought I too think Bird's Celtics were great).

I could go on, but I think this makes the point. Though I disagree with your opinions, I don't think you are of subpar intelligence, I don't call you names, I don't type in all caps (i.e. shout), and I don't question your knowledge of the topic at hand. At worst, I've condescendingly pointed out your portrayal of opinion as fact.

First of all, the idea that Jordan faced vastly superior competition in his first round exits compared to LBJ in his first three playoff series is not "subjective" at all.

The Celtics were the NBA champions. They won 67 games. *FACT
The Celtics were the NBA Finals runner-ups. They won 59 games. *FACT
The Bucks won 59 games, which is 17 more games than the Wizards averaged during their first round series vs LBJ. *FACT

Funnily enough, each of the teams Jordan lost to in the first round had more wins than the garbage Mavs team that LBJ choked to in the Finals.

Now please do us all a favor and try to go down some rabbit hole where you try to use some kind of quasi-empirical data to suggest otherwise or even poke the slightest hole in that notion.

Your reliance on a 39 year-old MJ playing with a terrible Wizards team is frankly embarrassing. As is your refusal to acknowledge that facts without proper context are useless.

Please give me your thoughts on this matter:

Clemson opens the season going 4-0 vs Furman, Wofford, SC State, and Citadel.

South Carolina opens the season going 3-1 vs UGA, Bama, Auburn, and Ohio State.

Which one of those teams had the better first four game run of the season? I'll hang up and listen.

Would MJ go 6-0 if he had to play this Warriors team and Duncan's Spurs team 3x's a piece? Having seen both play, I just think all that can be said is, they are both the G.O.A.T. of their era. The style of B-Ball is to different. I also believe there are more actual SUPERSTARS in the league now that LBJ has to play then MJ did. MJ played a lot of really good teams and a lot of All Stars, but I don't think the talent he played against matches LBJ. MJ had that perfect timing of getting his at the end of a prime Magic, Bird, and bad boy Pistons team and before the Shaq n Kobe/Duncan Spurs team. I just feel playing Finals games against a Aging Lakers and Utah team, Kemp/Payton, Drexler/Robinson, Barkley/KJ....just doesn't hold a candle to what LBJ has played against in the Finals. LBJ also has never played with a legit great/HOF coach. All in all, talent level and era are just to different.

Side note: Would've been nice to see the 95/96 Rockets team get a crack at MJ in the Finals, but baseball prevented one year while Shaq n Penny prevented the other. Its almost like it was just perfect timing for MJ.

Who's the best team that Lebron has beaten in the Eastern Conference to get to a Finals the last 5 seasons?

I think there is another side of this to. Is jordon considered the goat by most because he is more likeable to the public than James. James hurt a lot of peoples perception of him with the Cleveland thing.

My point is theoretically if you had two people with equal stats and things but one was more likeable, I feel like people would say that person is the greatest.

I agree, it would have been interesting to see what it would've been like to see MJ go through the social media days and take the bashing LBJ has had to deal with too. Life was alil easier back then not being in the public eye 24/7.

Who's the best team that Lebron has beaten in the Eastern Conference to get to a Finals the last 5 seasons?

Well you can't just skip the Celtics teams, and why is it LBJ fault all the other stars go out West? He can't help Melo, PG, Derrick Rose and all them couldn't get by him. Besides that, I'm talking Finals matchups, not Conf. Yeah, MJ had the Pacers and Knicks.....All Star players....no Superstars on his level.

Well you can't just skip the Celtics teams, and why is it LBJ fault all the other stars go out West? He can't help Melo, PG, Derrick Rose and all them couldn't get by him. Besides that, I'm talking Finals matchups, not Conf. Yeah, MJ had the Pacers and Knicks.....All Star players....no Superstars on his level.
Skip the Cs teams that were all in their mid to late 30s? You mean the series where KG didn't even play due to injury/old age or are you talking about after Ray Allen bailed?

MJ going up against the Bird Celtics in their prime and the Bad Boys in their prime and you trying to talk about a lack of competition compared to this weak ass East today?

Answer me this...is this true or false:

The ECF are about to be played by one team that turned its roster over midseason and another team that is missing its two best players. Is that statement true or false?

obviously they're both great "once in a generation" players and if we step back and think about it and try to say one is better than the other, ( and that's everyone right to their opinion) then we really do an injustice to the other one
Absolutely, I'd say the two best the game has seen, though it's hard to say overall. No slight to big men, but these two (mj and bron) were jacks of all trades. Kareem and Wilt couldn't have run your point or been pass first guys.

Skip the Cs teams that were all in their mid to late 30s? You mean the series where KG didn't even play due to injury/old age or are you talking about after Ray Allen bailed?

MJ going up against the Bird Celtics in their prime and the Bad Boys in their prime and you trying to talk about a lack of competition compared to this weak ass East today?

Answer me this...is this true or false:

The ECF are about to be played by one team that turned its roster over midseason and another team that is missing its two best players. Is that statement true or false?

Because MJ LOST to the Celts and Pistons when they were in their prime!! Then MJ started to winning when they were done and YES the level of competition dropped for him. There wasn't a single Superstar on his level, but at the same time can say any Conf weak if its dominated by one player lol like MJ and LBJ have both done. And you made a case for LBJ saying he's dragged a team with roster turnover midseason. LBJ has done more with less and against other Superstar players that MJ never played/won against.....otherwise it shouldn't have taken him 7 years to get past Celts or Pistons, or basically took those players to retire in 91-92. That's why this is a pointless debate, nobody is going to budge from who they like.

Another solid job answering the 6-0 question with another question lol....so bad I swear

Reactions: wentzel25
Because MJ LOST to the Celts and Pistons when they were in their prime!! Then MJ started to winning when they were done and YES the level of competition dropped for him. There wasn't a single Superstar on his level, but at the same time can say any Conf weak if its dominated by one player lol like MJ and LBJ have both done. And you made a case for LBJ saying he's dragged a team with roster turnover midseason. LBJ has done more with less and against other Superstar players that MJ never played/won against.....otherwise it shouldn't have taken him 7 years to get past Celts or Pistons, or basically took those players to retire in 91-92. That's why this is a pointless debate, nobody is going to budge from who they like.

Another solid job answering the 6-0 question with another question lol....so bad I swear

It would behoove you to know the facts before you make false statements
you say:
"LBJ has done more with less and against other Superstar players that MJ never played/won against."

When the facts are :
LBJ has played with Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving, Ray Allen...all future Hall of Famers

MJ played with 2 hall of famers, Pippen and Rodman

Reactions: MJDaGod6Rings
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT