ADVERTISEMENT

MJ vs Lebron

It would be a much better comparison if we could see LeBron coached by Phil Jackson and running the triangle offense. Half of Clevelands plays consist of lining up 4 statues on the 3 point line and LeBron goes one on one. Chicago's offense did a better job of using motion to wear down the other team.

If I had to build a team around one great player..that player would be MJ and it is not even close. LeBron is a great physical talent but I would not even have him in my top 5. He compares to me more to Shaq..A beast physically but the intangibles were not there to be a great leader or champion.

LeBron is they type of player who will decline rapidly when his age starts to catch up to him.

If I had to build a team around one great player..that player would be MJ and it is not even close. LeBron is a great physical talent but I would not even have him in my top 5. He compares to me more to Shaq..A beast physically but the intangibles were not there to be a great leader or champion.

LeBron is they type of player who will decline rapidly when his age starts to catch up to him.
??? Smdh...you realize he's in his 15th season and playing better than he ever has. Just a " physical talent ".....what a joke.

Your opinion really clouds the facts. I’m going to assume you didn’t watch this last series against Boston. Otherwise, you wouldn’t have made the last statement in your post. What intangibles are you talking about anyway? Since you remain vague, I’ll just reiterate that MJ had a lot of other intangibles around him that made his path easier at times (most of which have been mentioned several times).

As far as rapidly declining with age, you just called him a physical beast, and yet you claim he will rapidly decline? Do you realize that he is only 33? MJ won his last 3 titles starting at the age of 34.

??? Smdh...you realize he's in his 15th season and playing better than he ever has. Just a " physical talent ".....what a joke.

i was waiting for this^^^ ...that other guys statement is a joke!!
while i think its not close who is best, who the best played against and how many championships the best won, its really ignorant to make that comment

I did not say he was JUST a physical talent....but that is what separates him. While is not a Shawn Kemp he is not a skilled as a Kobe, MJ, Bird or Magic. He is a very coordinated tall and powerful specimen that has SOME skill. When he learns how to make him team better by using teammates as pawns and setting them up for scores..then he would be in the league with a Jordan...until then he is a marvel of athleticism and will not win the big games.

Dude if he was as great as many of you argue..he would have a few more rings. Basketball does not take a great 5 to win..it take role players and a few that can finish and one that can create.

Your opinion really clouds the facts. I’m going to assume you didn’t watch this last series against Boston. Otherwise, you wouldn’t have made the last statement in your post. What intangibles are you talking about anyway? Since you remain vague, I’ll just reiterate that MJ had a lot of other intangibles around him that made his path easier at times (most of which have been mentioned several times).

As far as rapidly declining with age, you just called him a physical beast, and yet you claim he will rapidly decline? Do you realize that he is only 33? MJ won his last 3 titles starting at the age of 34.

What was all the great talent surrounding Jordan..Pippen? He had roughly about what LeBron has....not a hell of a lot. MJ knew the game and understood how to direct and set things up for others. He was a coach on the floor...LeBron is not that type of player mentally.

33 is not old...but for sports it is getting there. I would bet my house that his time is almost over for being the dominate player he has been. There is no peak on his horizon..he is already there. When the leap starts to go and the legs start to tire..we all know he can not hit consistently from outside..his days scoring at will are almost over.

Jordan had the better TEAMS. Lebron is the better player. TEAMS win championships, individuals don’t.

Reactions: wentzel25
I did not say he was JUST a physical talent....but that is what separates him. While is not a Shawn Kemp he is not a skilled as a Kobe, MJ, Bird or Magic. He is a very coordinated tall and powerful specimen that has SOME skill. When he learns how to make him team better by using teammates as pawns and setting them up for scores..then he would be in the league with a Jordan...until then he is a marvel of athleticism and will not win the big games.

Dude if he was as great as many of you argue..he would have a few more rings. Basketball does not take a great 5 to win..it take role players and a few that can finish and one that can create.

You can't be serious with the statement that Lebron doesn't make his teammates better. It's clear you don't watch much basketball. If he doesn't make his teammates better then why is he typically in the top 5 in the league in assists? What about the 2010 Cavs that won 66 games with Lebron and then won less than 20 with the exact same roster minus Lebron in 2011? Lebron was able to turn Mo Williams into an all-star.

Also, are you really saying that Lebron hasn't won any big games?? He is far and away the best player in NBA history in Game 7's. I would say that winning against the Celtics last night in the TD Garden was a big win. Just like the Game 6 and 7 wins in the 2016 Finals. The game 6 and 7 win in the 2013 Finals against the Spurs. The first championship clinching win against the Thunder in 2012. Game 6 and Game 7 in the playoffs against the Celtics back in 2012 were two of the best individual performances in the last 20 years. Or back in 2007 against Detroit when Lebron scored like 25 straight points to beat the Pistons. Those are just off the top of my head (I could be a little off on the specific years).

Do you watch basketball??!! . ..Lebron averages more assists than Jordan and if I'm not mistaken, already has more than MJ had. Lebron does all he can with those scrubs he plays with! And you must be misremembering the way Jordan played, as most people do, not known for dropping dimes left and right. LeBron is way more of a facilitator than Jordan ever was..... And he has 3 rings and takes his team to the finals every year! .....and not a fan if his at all, just recognize what he is

All I know is if the Gamecocks need a tight end I’m picking Lebron.

I’ve always wondered how he would’ve done in the NFL.

Reactions: SCexpat38
What was all the great talent surrounding Jordan..Pippen? He had roughly about what LeBron has....not a hell of a lot. MJ knew the game and understood how to direct and set things up for others. He was a coach on the floor...LeBron is not that type of player mentally.

33 is not old...but for sports it is getting there. I would bet my house that his time is almost over for being the dominate player he has been. There is no peak on his horizon..he is already there. When the leap starts to go and the legs start to tire..we all know he can not hit consistently from outside..his days scoring at will are almost over.
For the record, Lebron has a higher FG% and 3FG% than Jordan had. So if he can’t consistently hit from outside, then neither could Jordan. And since Lebron can’t direct and set up the game for others, then why does he have more assists per game than Jordan?

Sorry...just stating facts.

Do you watch basketball??!! . ..Lebron averages more assists than Jordan and if I'm not mistaken, already has more than MJ had. Lebron does all he can with those scrubs he plays with! And you must be misremembering the way Jordan played, as most people do, not known for dropping dimes left and right. LeBron is way more of a facilitator than Jordan ever was..... And he has 3 rings and takes his team to the finals every year! .....and not a fan if his at all, just recognize what he is

Anyone that has the ball as much as LeBron has it will get a lot of assist. He is great..not denying that but to say he is GOAT is a stretch imo. There are several players that I would take before I would take LeBron....hell I think Kareem was a better piece to build a team around.

Maybe there is a reason that he has a team of also rans on his teams. Scoring is good but it is not the best stat. What you want is a guy when the time is running out and you need to score who is the deadliest...many players have played the game I would rather have the ball in their hands over LeBron.

I guess many of you think that whoever is tops in the league at the moment are the best of all time. Does that seem like that would be true?

You can't be serious with the statement that Lebron doesn't make his teammates better. It's clear you don't watch much basketball. If he doesn't make his teammates better then why is he typically in the top 5 in the league in assists? What about the 2010 Cavs that won 66 games with Lebron and then won less than 20 with the exact same roster minus Lebron in 2011? Lebron was able to turn Mo Williams into an all-star.

Also, are you really saying that Lebron hasn't won any big games?? He is far and away the best player in NBA history in Game 7's. I would say that winning against the Celtics last night in the TD Garden was a big win. Just like the Game 6 and 7 wins in the 2016 Finals. The game 6 and 7 win in the 2013 Finals against the Spurs. The first championship clinching win against the Thunder in 2012. Game 6 and Game 7 in the playoffs against the Celtics back in 2012 were two of the best individual performances in the last 20 years. Or back in 2007 against Detroit when Lebron scored like 25 straight points to beat the Pistons. Those are just off the top of my head (I could be a little off on the specific years).

The game changes over time. So if you had one shot to win..you want LeBron to have that shot?

For the record, Lebron has a higher FG% and 3FG% than Jordan had. So if he can’t consistently hit from outside, then neither could Jordan. And since Lebron can’t direct and set up the game for others, then why does he have more assists per game than Jordan?

Sorry...just stating facts.

Well when you have control of the ball most of the time I would hope you would have a lot of assist. Jordan wasn't known as a great 3 shooter either....but I still would rather him have it if I needed a score. How many scores and assist do you think Magic could have if the defense had to run away from a driving scorer in the lane?

Anyone that has the ball as much as LeBron has it will get a lot of assist. He is great..not denying that but to say he is GOAT is a stretch imo. There are several players that I would take before I would take LeBron....hell I think Kareem was a better piece to build a team around.

Maybe there is a reason that he has a team of also rans on his teams. Scoring is good but it is not the best stat. What you want is a guy when the time is running out and you need to score who is the deadliest...many players have played the game I would rather have the ball in their hands over LeBron.

I guess many of you think that whoever is tops in the league at the moment are the best of all time. Does that seem like that would be true?
Sorry man, we'll have to agree to disagree..I've been watching basketball religiously almost all of my 42 years, played for a short stint in college, now a coach and I don't think there has been anyone quite like LeBron, pure freak. He would have been dominant in any era.......... and again, I am not his biggest fan by any means.

Reactions: cornstock84
Sorry man, we'll have to agree to disagree..I've been watching basketball religiously almost all of my 42 years, played for a short stint in college, now a coach and I don't think there has been anyone quite like LeBron, pure freak. He would have been dominant in any era.......... and again, I am not his biggest fan by any means.

That is fair. I do not like him..do not like his game. I agree he is a freak of nature and is a stat machine. I would rather have Jordan and it is not even a question in my head about that. He was scary good when the game was on the line..never seen anyone handle do or die situations like he did.

If Lebron's higher assist totals were a result of having the ball more then his usage rate would be higher than Jordan. Unfortunately for your argument, the numbers objectively prove that it was Jordan who had the ball more often than Lebron.

The game changes over time. So if you had one shot to win..you want LeBron to have that shot?

I was surprised to learn recently that Lebron actually has made more career buzzer beaters and game-winners than Jordan in the playoffs with a higher FG percentage. If were basing the argument on the numbers then according to 538 Lebron has been the most clutch performer in NBA history. Jordan did make bigger clutch shots in the Finals though.

Reactions: wentzel25
Well when you have control of the ball most of the time I would hope you would have a lot of assist. Jordan wasn't known as a great 3 shooter either....but I still would rather him have it if I needed a score. How many scores and assist do you think Magic could have if the defense had to run away from a driving scorer in the lane?

This statement is even more evidence that you are out of your depth in this discussion. I have to assume that you are basing this flawed argument on the rule changes that no longer allow hand checking. This has no effect on assists because players are not credited with assists if they pass the ball to a player who then proceeds to drive to the basket. An assist is only earned if the ball is passed to a player who takes a shot usually without dribbling at all although this open to interpretation by official scorers.

Can we let this thread die? MJ was great and so is Lebron. And no I don't watch the NBA anymore and haven't in ages so I guess I'm not qualified to say Lebron is great.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
226 replies and you all missed Bill Russell, or maybe I just skipped those 5 pages. I'm thinking they may all be in the hall of fame.

To be the greatest player you have to play offense and defense, the argument should have ended with MJ being great in both areas. LJ scores and whines when hand-checked, what else is there to discuss about this.

I will say this .... IF and that’s a big IF... Lebron somehow miracles this team over the Warriors this year then I put him neck in neck with MJ . If the Warriors sweep the Cavs or dominate the series then the story is different . People who say that MJ did not face the same level of competition in the finals don’t account for how tough the east was in his era . Just to get to the finals MJ had to go thru the Bad Boys , A very Physical Knicks team , an aging but still very dangerous Celtics squad , + The Pacer with Reggie Miller and the Hawks with Nique in his prime . Top to bottom the east was LOADED . The Warriors wouldn’t survive a back to back series with the Knicks and the Bad Boys Physically .

Reactions: heelzfor2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT