ADVERTISEMENT

MJ vs Lebron

First of all, the idea that Jordan faced vastly superior competition in his first round exits compared to LBJ in his first three playoff series is not "subjective" at all.

The Celtics were the NBA champions. They won 67 games. *FACT
The Celtics were the NBA Finals runner-ups. They won 59 games. *FACT
The Bucks won 59 games, which is 17 more games than the Wizards averaged during their first round series vs LBJ. *FACT

Funnily enough, each of the teams Jordan lost to in the first round had more wins than the garbage Mavs team that LBJ choked to in the Finals.

Now please do us all a favor and try to go down some rabbit hole where you try to use some kind of quasi-empirical data to suggest otherwise or even poke the slightest hole in that notion.

Your reliance on a 39 year-old MJ playing with a terrible Wizards team is frankly embarrassing. As is your refusal to acknowledge that facts without proper context are useless.

Please give me your thoughts on this matter:

Clemson opens the season going 4-0 vs Furman, Wofford, SC State, and Citadel.

South Carolina opens the season going 3-1 vs UGA, Bama, Auburn, and Ohio State.

Which one of those teams had the better first four game run of the season? I'll hang up and listen.

I haven't said any thing "quasi-empirical." Hahaha, I've literally said exactly what the outcomes were, then watched you do mental gymnastics to try and put it into a box that makes losing look like it's better than winning when MJ does it. Saying MJ was 1-9 in playoff games is what happened. Saying he missed the playoffs the same number of times in his career that LBJ has is what happened. You can contextualize it, i.e. spin it however you like; it's still what happened.
As to your hypothetical, 4-0 all day, every day.
Being that 4-0 is better than being 3-1, I would rather start our season 4-0 against scrubs than suffer a loss to a top flight team. They don't give out SOS, RPI or best regular season trophies. 12-0 should always be the day one goal. I already cited Herm Edwards, so this time I'll go with Al Davis "Just win, baby!"
I'll even give you this one, it's better to lose in the first round than not make the playoffs (MJ's first 2 years vs. Lebron's), but you go off the rails when you'd rather lose to the C's in the first round than defeat the Wizards. By your logic, the Cavs would have been better, if they'd played worse in the regular season, so they can get a lower seed, and lose to a better team.

Yeah and also took a team full of scrubs to the Finals in his 3rd year....nevermind that tho right. Ray Allen was at the end of his career, Bosh was an All Star that's about it. What were the Cavs when Kyrie was there and what were they when LBJ got their. They are a Championship contender with him and a lottery pick without him....period. Its ok to look at it from both ways no matter how much you hate too.

Reactions: cornstock84
Jordan was quicker, a much better shooter, a shut down defender,and was the best clutch shooter ever other than Bird. Hands down Jordan!

your statement isnt correct..:"but he also hasn't have as much talent or coaching around him for many of his years".

LBJ has played with Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving, Ray Allen...all future Hall of Famers

MJ played with 2 hall of famers, Pippen and Rodman
Pippen and Rodman combined for 15 FIRST team Defensive all-NBA teams. Pippen was also on 3 first team all-NBA teams, and Rodman won 2 consecutive defensive player of the year awards (should've been 3
in a row, but he got snubbed in his best season where he averaged 18.7 rebounds per game)!! After the Celtics/lakers/Pistons dynasties ended - that's when the Bulls started to win titles. Jordan didn't sniff the finals in his first 6 season when those teams were competitive. He got swept twice in the first round and almost got swept against the Bucks (3-1) and Pistons (4-1) in those respective series.

You can't overlook the fact that Jordan played with ELITE talent (we're talking two all time greats at their respective positions; Rodman wasn't a great scorer but that only added to Jordan's strength (scoring) and he was great at everything else.

Show me one team that Jordan beat in a 7 game series that is even remotely close to this Warriors dynasty. The only team that would actually beat these Warriors in a 7 game series is a Lebron led 90's Chicago Bulls!! Lebron, Scottie, Rodman, Harper, Kerr, Kukoc, Horace Grant, etc could probably beat these Warriors but who else would beat them? The Showtime Lakers and Bird Celtics? Maybe (and that's a huge maybe). This Warriors TEAM is ALL-TIME great, the Cavs certainly are not. That has nothing to do with Lebron's greatness or legacy. These teams are below 25 win teams without Lebron. They're horrible. Those Bulls teams were far from horrible without MJ, and that's 100% FACTS with proof (check out their record when Jordan left for two years... They just so happen to be a 50 win team!)
Did you know that Pippen led his team in all major categories except scoring? LBJ does it all...

I'm not saying LBJ is clearly better than MJ, but you guys make it seem like a no-brainer that MJ is better and I don't think it's that simple. They are entirely different players. The better comparison to MJ would be Kobe.

Pippen and Rodman combined for 15 FIRST team Defensive all-NBA teams. Pippen was also on 3 first team all-NBA teams, and Rodman won 2 consecutive defensive player of the year awards (should've been 3
in a row, but he got snubbed in his best season where he averaged 18.7 rebounds per game)!! After the Celtics/lakers/Pistons dynasties ended - that's when the Bulls started to win titles. Jordan didn't sniff the finals in his first 6 season when those teams were competitive. He got swept twice in the first round and almost got swept against the Bucks (3-1) and Pistons (4-1) in those respective series.

You can't overlook the fact that Jordan played with ELITE talent (we're talking two all time greats at their respective positions; Rodman wasn't a great scorer but that only added to Jordan's strength (scoring) and he was great at everything else.

Show me one team that Jordan beat in a 7 game series that is even remotely close to this Warriors dynasty. The only team that would actually beat these Warriors in a 7 game series is a Lebron led 90's Chicago Bulls!! Lebron, Scottie, Rodman, Harper, Kerr, Kukoc, Horace Grant, etc could probably beat these Warriors but who else would beat them? The Showtime Lakers and Bird Celtics? Maybe (and that's a huge maybe). This Warriors TEAM is ALL-TIME great, the Cavs certainly are not. That has nothing to do with Lebron's greatness or legacy. These teams are below 25 win teams without Lebron. They're horrible. Those Bulls teams were far from horrible without MJ, and that's 100% FACTS with proof (check out their record when Jordan left for two years... They just so happen to be a 50 win team!)
Did you know that Pippen led his team in all major categories except scoring? LBJ does it all...

I'm not saying LBJ is clearly better than MJ, but you guys make it seem like a no-brainer that MJ is better and I don't think it's that simple. They are entirely different players. The better comparison to MJ would be Kobe.

You made a comment, i simply showed you were incorrect.

I like where you mention 2 as elite, you say "can't overlook the fact that Jordan played with ELITE talent"
..not hardly ...
You say elite, i'd say Rodman was far from ELITE..he was unique a great rebounder and good defender... but not comparable to the 5 future HOF that Lebron has played with.....he was a HOF, but not elite...

Jordan has 6 rings....6 rings with 2 HOF players his entire career

Lebron is great, MJ was better

Last edited:
You made a comment, i simply showed you were incorrect.

I like where you mention 2 as elite, you say "can't overlook the fact that Jordan played with ELITE talent"
..not hardly ...
You say elite, i'd say Rodman was far from ELITE..he was unique a great rebounder and good defender... but not comparable to the 5 future HOF that Lebron has played with.....he was a HOF, but not elite...

Jordan has 6 rings....6 rings with 2 HOF players his entire career

Lebron is great, MJ was better
Lebron played in Miami for 4 years - winning 2 titles. Would he have won it anyway with lesser talent? Maybe - neither one of us can argue that point. And how do you define elite?According to NBA.com, both MJ and LBJ each played with one top-50 all-time players (Pippen and Shaq). Is there an actual definition as it relates to basketball or is it subjective? Rodman was one of the best defensive players of all-time. Do you have to be a top scorer to be elite? Just asking.
MJ never won a title without Pippen. Not 1. LBJ won last year without Shaq or Wade or Bosh. Sure - he had Kyrie, but he still has plenty to prove. What does it mean? I don't know. But I do know that MJ won his last 3 titles when he was older than LBJ is right now, so this story isn't finished, and yet people already have this all figured out...

Lebron played in Miami for 4 years - winning 2 titles. Would he have won it anyway with lesser talent? Maybe - neither one of us can argue that point. And how do you define elite?According to NBA.com, both MJ and LBJ each played with one top-50 all-time players (Pippen and Shaq). Is there an actual definition as it relates to basketball or is it subjective? Rodman was one of the best defensive players of all-time. Do you have to be a top scorer to be elite? Just asking.
MJ never won a title without Pippen. Not 1. LBJ won last year without Shaq or Wade or Bosh. Sure - he had Kyrie, but he still has plenty to prove. What does it mean? I don't know. But I do know that MJ won his last 3 titles when he was older than LBJ is right now, so this story isn't finished, and yet people already have this all figured out...

"LBJ won last year "

What did LBJ win last year.. a trip to the finals, only to lose again

Last edited:
Two years ago...you get my point and failed to respond to the others. LBJ has been in 8 Finals compared to MJ's 6 (or only 3 at LBJ's age).

Thanks for reminding me... MJ never lost a finals 6-0 and not one went to game 7 ... Lebron has lost 5 finals , and if he manages to get by my Celtics , he'll lose exactly as many finals as Jordan won ... Give it up .. Most people around the NBA ... Most people who played in the NBA ... Most will overwhelming say MJ is the best to ever play the game ... Continuing debating this is useless

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me... MJ never lost a finals 6-0 and not one went to game 7 ... Lebron has lost 5 finals , and if he manages to get by my Celtics , he'll lose exactly as many finals as Jordan won ... Give it up .. Most people around the NBA ... Most people who played in the NBA ... Most will overwhelming say MJ is the best to ever play the game ... Continuing debating this is useless
LBJ is still playing! And I'm a bigger MJ fan than LBJ, but the fact that folks can't be objective about this is sort of annoying. For the record, the Yankees are much better than the Red Sox.

LBJ is still playing! And I'm a bigger MJ fan than LBJ, but the fact that folks can't be objective about this is sort of annoying. For the record, the Yankees are much better than the Red Sox.

See I like Lebron and take up for him when people say he can't perform in the clutch, when the team is down 1 or 2 and needs a basket ...and there's no shame to being 2nd to MJ ... Somebody has to be

I'm just browsing this thread, but I have to say the first page is full of inaccuracies that make me question if the posters involved actually watched the NBA during Jordan's career.

Say what? Are you sure you're talking about the same Michael Jordan? MJ was a relentless force when it came to attacking the basket. He made his name initially by driving the lane in a league where there was super handchecking and no such thing as a flagrant. After getting beaten to a pulp physically by the Bad Boys, he became one of the first NBA players to embrace weight lifting and bulked up considerably.

The added bulk allowed him to continue to pound the lane and then become the greatest post-up guard of all time. He was the best post player in the NBA this side of Olajuwon, and that was in a time when defenders could keep their forearm in your back down in the post. He dominated people in the post regardless of size and was extremely durable as a player. His only major injury was a broken foot that caused him to miss most of his second season. He came back early from that injury against doctor's orders and went on to drop 63 and 48 on the Bird Celtics in the playoffs.

He was also a bird dog on defense who teamed with Pippen to form the "Doberman Defense" because both were long, physical athletes who were relentless on defense. He is not only the best player of all time but the best defensive two guard of all time and unlike Lebron in recent years never showed any cracks as far as getting roasted playing on-ball defense. Go look at last year's Finals and watch not only KD but Andre Iguodala make LBJ look like he was standing in cement. The same has happened at various times this season, as the Cavs have slid tremendously on defense, LBJ included.

This is patently false. LBJ has never played center for any extended minutes ever in his career. He may have gotten some run there in the 2015 Finals when GSW went to their ultra short death lineup, but Lebron has never played the 5 position with any regularity and would get destroyed by the good centers in the game. LBJ can log decent minutes at the 1-4 positions depending on lineups, and MJ could play the 1-3 positions. MJ played PG for an entire season with the Bulls under Doug Collins. You really think LBJ is going to match up with the Ewing/Olajuwon/Robinson/Shaq type centers that played during MJ's era? No way in hell.

This is absolutely true as far as the FTAs. Not sure about what he would ultimately average pointswise, but his already incredible numbers would be augmented substantially, both in terms of points and FG%. So many times in his era he'd miss a shot that in today's game would be an automatic FTA due to handchecking. People who didn't watch his era don't understand the impact of the physicality of the game. LBJ is big enough to withstand that beating, but if you let MJ play with today's no handcheck rules, he would dominate the league way worse than he already did. People try to talk about zone, yet nobody in the NBA plays zone. To play zone effectively, you have to commit full time like Boeheim at Syracuse. You don't just pop into it, and today's NBA teams don't run much zone at all. Either way, MJ had a much better jumper than LBJ, and he was better at attacking the rim. The tradeoff between no handchecking and the <5% of zone defense that gets played today would be a huge landslide in MJ's favor.

LBJ is nowhere near the post player that MJ was. Lebron has been puzzling in terms of his inability to develop a dependable post game the way MJ and Kobe did. Kobe mimicked MJ's turnaround fadeaway and actually worked with Olajuwon to develop his low post game. LBJ for all his size has never made it a point to bully his way into being a dependable post player. He finally showed some glimpses when the Ws were forced to go ultra small in the 2015 Finals, but he doesn't have one particular move he can go to regularly like MJ could. MJ was the best post player in the NBA during his second threepeat with the exception of Olajuwon.

As for the last second shot in a Finals game...yeah that is no contest. Jordan is 3/3 on those while LBJ has yet to hit one.

This one really irritates me. Let's get some things straight with regard to losing in the first round. First off, LBJ missed the playoffs his first two seasons. MJ never missed the playoffs. Now guess what MJ got for taking his teams to the playoffs in a time when the East was the dominant conference? He got to play Larry Bird's Celtics twice...with no Grant, no Pippen. The 86 Celtics are considered by many to be the greatest NBA team of all time, and MJ put 63 and 48 on them while still losing.

In fact, here are the win totals of MJ's first round opponents that he lost to...

Rookie year: Bucks 59 wins
Second year: Celtics 67 wins NBA champs
Third year: Celtics 59 wins NBA champ runner-up

Now let's look at LBJ:

Rookie year: missed playoffs
Second year: missed playoffs
Third year: Wizards 42 wins
Fourth year: Wizards 41 wins
Fifth year: Wizards 43 wins

So Jordan, with nobody around him, took on one of the most legendary squads in NBA history not once but twice in those first round losses, and on average he went up against a 62-win team. Meanwhile, LBJ gave himself two additional years to have a roster built around him because he missed the damn playoffs, and when he got there into a much weaker Eastern Conference, he faced three nondescript Washington Wizard teams who were barely above .500 on average.

So when you want to run your mouth about losing in the first round, it's very important to compare apples to apples and provide the full context. You really think the guy that Larry Bird called "God dressed as Michael Jordan" would have any trouble playing a 42 win Wizards team in the playoffs? Come on, now.

It is interesting to note that the teams that knocked MJ out of the playoffs before he won were the Bird Celtics and the Bad Boys (and man would it be fun to watch the Bad Boys try to beat the Bulls with today's wussy no handchecking rules...good luck with that). Little bit different level of competition than what LBJ has feasted on in the Leastern Conference.

Also, Pippen was a shadow of himself when the Bulls started winning playoff series. In Pippen's first two seasons, the Bulls advanced to the second round and the ECF. His numbers were 10/5/2 and 13/7/4...he wasn't anywhere close to his HOF form when MJ started making deep playoff runs.

This is absolutely ludicrous. I will give you the first Finals appearance, although the East sucked anyway so it wasn't like he had to beat a monster team. Still....the dude left to go to Miami to join forces with a guy who was already a Finals MVP in DWade and then another perennial All-Star in Bosh. He then filled in that roster with guys like Mike Miller and Ray Allen who went on to bail LBJ out of another Finals loss by hitting that miracle 3 pointer in the corner in Game 6 vs the Spurs. So he builds his own All Star team with a couple of HOFers on the roster who played huge roles in winning rings for him. Then, he goes to Cleveland and joins a top 10 player in the league who barring injury will be a HOFer in Kyrie Irving and a multiple All-Star and double-double machine in Kevin Love.

Now the kicker to all of this is that the East has absolutely sucked this whole time compared to Jordan's East. Up until this year, LBJ EASILY had the most talent of any team in the East from the time he went to Miami through last year with the Cavs. The East is so bad this year that the ECF is going to have one team missing its two superstar players in the Celtics and a Cavs team that turned its roster over at midseason.

Meanwhile, Jordan had to go up against Bird's Celtics and the freaking Bad Boys, both of whom were legendary squads. And did you realize that Horace Grant never even made an All-Star team with the Bulls? The whole going to the Finals every year argument totally ignores the lack of competition in the East now. We know from his Finals record that if LBJ played in the tougher conference like MJ did in his era that LBJ would have only made it to 3 Finals (and one of those was a gift when the NBA stepped in to suspend Draymond for hurting people's feelings too much when the Cavs were down 1-3).

If you think today's weak Eastern Conference compares in any way to what Jordan faced, then you just don't know the game. Today's NBA is like the early 90s NFL when the real Super Bowl was the 49ers-Cowboys in the NFC Championship.

But let me leave you with this thought about the Finals...how about the time Lebron took his handpicked superteam from Miami and then proceeded to choke against a heavy underdog in the Dallas Mavericks? To add insult to injury, Lebron got punked by role player Jason Jet Terry. Jet went to the media during the Finals and literally called out LBJ and dared Lebron to guard him. What happened? The Mavs went to a lineup that featured Jet and little JJ Barea, and Jet murdered Lebron while the Mavs won 4 games in a row for the title. This wasn't Kevin Durant or Steph Curry calling him out in the Finals...this was little role player Jason Terry.

Now ask yourself this....would any NBA player dare to call out Michael Jordan in the NBA Finals? The thought of it is so ridiculous. People were scared of Jordan. They knew he played his best on the brightest stage. LBJ actually had a game in that Mavs Finals where he scored 8 points. 8 points. When your team needs you most. Meanwhile MJ, had a Finals series where he AVERAGED 41 ppg en route to one of his 6 Finals MVP trophies. The dude averaged 41 points when you could handcheck...Seriously.

And it wasn't just the Mavs series. When the Heat lost to the Spurs in the Finals, they did so by the largest per game margin in NBA Finals history during that gentleman's sweep. 21 year old Kawhi Leonard won the MVP and outplayed LBJ head-to-head. The games were mostly blowouts by the half, so LBJ piled up some garbage stats in the second half of those games while the Spurs emptied the bench, but Kawhi outplayed him in front of the whole world. Imagine a 21 year old player trying to go head up with Michael Jordan in his prime. Yikes.

Anyway, hopefully this post goes through. I just saw a lot of inaccuracies being thrown around and wanted to give my two cents. LBJ is one of the all time greats and the best of his era, but it is comical to see people overreact to him beating up on tomato cans in the East. Now he gets to play a crippled Celtics team before he gets run out of the Finals. His fans will say that he had no shot against the superior talent of the West, but they will still give him all the credit for beating a crippled Celtics team with no talent in the ECF to make it to another Finals loss. I see people ask who is the best team Jordan beat in the Finals relative to the Ws, but who is the best team that LBJ has beaten in the East during this run?

I appreciate anyone that takes the time to provide such a lengthy and detailed response, but I do want to comment on a couple of the things that you mentioned.

First, as knowledgeable as you seem to be about the NBA based on your comment, it seems odd that you would say that the NBA doesn't play zone defense. Your five percent estimate may be close in terms of the amount of time that teams play purely zone defense, but it teams play man-zone hybrid defenses quite often.

While there's no doubt that the current NBA rules without the aggressive hand-checking of previous years would indeed benefit Jordan, it's also true that NBA defenses have evolved and improved significantly in the past two decades especially since zone defense was legalized in 2001. For evidence of this phenomenon just look how much scoring has decreased in the past few decades even with much more emphasis on 3 point shooting.

It's not fair to mention on rule change that would benefit Jordan while at the same time completely discounting another rule change that would negatively affect his game.

One other thing I wanted to point out is the way that you described Jason Terry as a "role-player." I suppose this is true if you define any sixth man as a role player, but the fact of the matter is that Terry typically logged similar minutes as starters when he was playing under Rick Carlisle. It's certainly true that the Mavs offense was built around Dirk, but Jason Terry was the 2nd scoring option for several years even if he only averaged 15-20 ppg. He did typically shoot the ball 13-15 times per game after all.

It would behoove you to know the facts before you make false statements
you say:
"LBJ has done more with less and against other Superstar players that MJ never played/won against."

When the facts are :
LBJ has played with Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving, Ray Allen...all future Hall of Famers

It would behoove you to know the facts before you make false statements
you say:
"LBJ has done more with less and against other Superstar players that MJ never played/won against."

When the facts are :

Although it's true that LBJ has played with more all-stars and potential future HOFers than MJ, the total number of years that both of them played with high level players is much more useful considering that Lebron has faced much more roster turnover than Jordan (much of it is his own fault). Jordan had Pippen for 8 or 9 years and Rodman for the final 3 years. That's a total of 9 years playing with HOF level teammates. Lebron has played a total of 7 years (not counting this year) with all-star caliber teammates.

Dennis Rodman was 37 years old at the end of his three-peat with the Bulls. If you think playing with a 37 year old Rodman is comparable to playing with Wade/Bosh/Love/Kyrie then I don't know what to tell you. Of course, Ray Allen did come off the bench as an old man and save LBJ from yet another Finals loss with that miracle corner three....

As for pointing to the 73 win Warriors, anyone who has watched the NBA understood that series was toast until the league stepped in and banned Draymond for what amounts to hurting people's feelings over the course of a season. Of course nothing was done originally, but then Lebron cried about it after the game until the NBA stepped in, otherwise that series was over in Oracle with the Ws up 3-1. The NBA rigged the game by suspending Draymond, and then Bogut went down on top of that, so the rim protection was gone.

But since you want to point to the 73 win Ws....let me ask you this question:

Did Michael Jordan ever lose to the likes of a 57 win Dallas Mavericks team in the Finals? Please point out the 57 win team that MJ lost to in the Finals.

Thanks.

I appreciate anyone that takes the time to provide such a lengthy and detailed response, but I do want to comment on a couple of the things that you mentioned.

First, as knowledgeable as you seem to be about the NBA based on your comment, it seems odd that you would say that the NBA doesn't play zone defense. Your five percent estimate may be close in terms of the amount of time that teams play purely zone defense, but it teams play man-zone hybrid defenses quite often.

While there's no doubt that the current NBA rules without the aggressive hand-checking of previous years would indeed benefit Jordan, it's also true that NBA defenses have evolved and improved significantly in the past two decades especially since zone defense was legalized in 2001. For evidence of this phenomenon just look how much scoring has decreased in the past few decades even with much more emphasis on 3 point shooting.

It's not fair to mention on rule change that would benefit Jordan while at the same time completely discounting another rule change that would negatively affect his game.

One other thing I wanted to point out is the way that you described Jason Terry as a "role-player." I suppose this is true if you define any sixth man as a role player, but the fact of the matter is that Terry typically logged similar minutes as starters when he was playing under Rick Carlisle. It's certainly true that the Mavs offense was built around Dirk, but Jason Terry was the 2nd scoring option for several years even if he only averaged 15-20 ppg. He did typically shoot the ball 13-15 times per game after all.
Appreciate the response here.

I may have understated the amount of man-zone hybrid defense that is played, but I still stand by my overall point that the lack of handchecking would benefit MJ far more than the new defensive rules would hurt him. There may be tradeoffs in both directions, but I think it would certainly be a net positive for Jordan based on his skills. The man had a deadly midrange jumper, and I have no reason to doubt that he would have extended his range based on the prevalence of 3 point shooting in today's game given how pure his stroke was and how hard he worked to improve it from the time he entered the league.

I still have a hard time reconciling the notion of these more sophisticated defenses with the clearly stated goals of the NBA to make the game more free flowing and offensive. Now scoring may be incrementally down, but I could point to a variety of factors including the one and done system that has plagued the league, the rise of AAU ball that has robbed players of fundamentals, and the dilution of talent via the expansion of the league. The reliance on the three ball could very well result in a lack of overall scoring, as teams not named the Ws or Rockets are foregoing more high percentage shots with far less talented shooters in an effort to run and gun.

As for Jet Terry, I would certainly define any sixth man as a role player. And Jet has never been called a star player by anyone. For him to call out a player of LBJ's stature on the biggest stage is just unheard of really, and I am certain that you would agree nobody would have dared to do that with Jordan. To call him out would have been bad enough, but can you imagine a bench player calling MJ out in the Finals and then actually delivering on it while running off 4 straight all the while as a heavy, heavy underdog? There's simply no excuse for the way LBJ wilted in those Finals. You can't just sweep that performance under the rug when trying to compare someone to Michael Jordan.

Jordan's performances on the grandest stages are an integral part of his position as GOAT.

Two years ago...you get my point and failed to respond to the others. LBJ has been in 8 Finals compared to MJ's 6 (or only 3 at LBJ's age).
LBJ has hid out in the far weaker conference, thus he has had more Finals appearances. When Jordan played, the Eastern Conference was clearly the tougher conference in the NBA. Here are the teams that kept MJ out of the Finals in from the Eastern Conference of his era:

• Bird/McHale/Parrish/DJ/Ainge Celtics
  • The Bad Boys
  • Shaq/Penny Magic* (don't really count this one since he was coming back from a de facto 2 year layoff with baseball, but just wanted to point out the talent on that team.....we all know the Bulls came back next season with the real MJ and literally SWEPT the Magic)

So who is the best team in the Eastern Conference then that Lebron has beaten to get to the Finals?

We clearly know that the West has been the far better conference the last 20 years, and we also clearly know from Lebron's 3-5 Finals record that if he had played in the tougher conference during his career that he would have made the Finals 3 times instead of 8.

For God's sake the East is so bad now that LBJ gets to play a team missing BOTH of its best players in the Eastern Conference Finals. We literally have an ECF featuring a team that turned its roster over midseason and another team missing its two best players.

Try taking Harden and CP3 off of the Rockets and see how far they get in the Western playoffs lol. In the weak East, though, you can go all the way to the conference finals.

Appreciate the response here.

I may have understated the amount of man-zone hybrid defense that is played, but I still stand by my overall point that the lack of handchecking would benefit MJ far more than the new defensive rules would hurt him. There may be tradeoffs in both directions, but I think it would certainly be a net positive for Jordan based on his skills. The man had a deadly midrange jumper, and I have no reason to doubt that he would have extended his range based on the prevalence of 3 point shooting in today's game given how pure his stroke was and how hard he worked to improve it from the time he entered the league.

I still have a hard time reconciling the notion of these more sophisticated defenses with the clearly stated goals of the NBA to make the game more free flowing and offensive. Now scoring may be incrementally down, but I could point to a variety of factors including the one and done system that has plagued the league, the rise of AAU ball that has robbed players of fundamentals, and the dilution of talent via the expansion of the league. The reliance on the three ball could very well result in a lack of overall scoring, as teams not named the Ws or Rockets are foregoing more high percentage shots with far less talented shooters in an effort to run and gun.

As for Jet Terry, I would certainly define any sixth man as a role player. And Jet has never been called a star player by anyone. For him to call out a player of LBJ's stature on the biggest stage is just unheard of really, and I am certain that you would agree nobody would have dared to do that with Jordan. To call him out would have been bad enough, but can you imagine a bench player calling MJ out in the Finals and then actually delivering on it while running off 4 straight all the while as a heavy, heavy underdog? There's simply no excuse for the way LBJ wilted in those Finals. You can't just sweep that performance under the rug when trying to compare someone to Michael Jordan.

Jordan's performances on the grandest stages are an integral part of his position as GOAT.

I'm sure that it's only a matter of time before the negative comments about how this is not USC related and the length of our posts start, but I do enjoy a good civil debate with anyone that is knowledgeable. I'm glad that you pointed out how nonsensical it was earlier in this thread when someone made the claim that MJ couldn't play the point considering how effective he was under Collins playing the position. It would have been interesting to see what kind of numbers he would have had if he continued to play PG long term.

Also, I should point out that I don't disagree with the idea of MJ being the GOAT, but I do firmly believe that Lebron is only slightly behind him as the 2nd best to ever play. I think that the ESPN article that was linked to in an earlier post puts it best that Jordan was the greatest at his peak, but Lebron is on pace to have the more impressive overall career. He's close already, and will almost certainly surpass him if he plays another several years. It's certainly valid to point out that Jordan lost over 1.5 years of his prime when he left to play baseball, but the debate should be primarily centered on facts instead of hypotheticals whenever possible.

The one exception where hypotheticals have to be included is the debate about how rule changes would have affected Jordan. While there's no way to objectively determine just how this would have affected him, I'm willing to concede that MJ very well may have benefited positively from the net effect of the hand check rule enforcement combined with the legalization of zone defense. However, if all of the changes would have in fact been a net positive, I don't think that the net positive would have been much more than a couple points per game at most. There's definitely no way that Jordan would have averaged 50 ppg like Pippen suggested a few years back.

Based on the actual data that is available, the total team point per game has been anywhere from 5-10 points per game less for the majority of Lebron's career compared to the era that Jordan played in. Even though we can't objectively quantify the overall effect that the rule changes would have had on Jordan personally, there's clear evidence that all of the rule changes taken together has led to a massive decrease in overall scoring of 5-10 percent (depending on specific year). This leads me to conclude that the effect of the change in the hand check rule is typically tremendously overstated while the often overlooked effects of zone defense has been much more significant.

One last brief point about the hand check rule change; Lebron (8.1) and MJ (8.2) have both attempted almost the exact same number of FT's per game for their careers so the data doesn't show an effect in terms of increased foul shots. It's important to note that these numbers are undoubtedly affected bt the way that players have adjusted the way that they play defense with the rule changes, but I did want to at least provide the numbers.

Also, it is true that the league has been shifting more toward a free-flowing offensive centered league as the shift toward a more European style game continues. However, this shift has occurred after a few years where defenses were starting to become much more dominant immediately following the rule change that allowed zone defense to be played. The prevalence of one and done players could possibly have some effect, but the elimination of players straight out of high school would take away from this effect.

I do find it interesting that you would mention league expansion as a potential reason for the decreased scoring in the league considering that the only expansion team in the post Jordan era has been the Bobcats (now named Hornets with the name change in New Orleans). The only other expansion team that were founded after Jordan won his first championship were the Grizzlies and Raptors back in the mid-90's. The overall effect of this limited amount of recent expansion coupled with the enormous increase in international players over the past 10-15 years has been an increase in the overall talent pool as opposed to a dilution of talent.

Conversely, the massive expansion of NBA teams that occurred while Jordan was playing occurred in the late 1980's just prior to the Bulls run of championships. I'm not sure exactly how many expansion teams were created in the late 80's, but I know the list includes at least the original Charlotte Hornets, Orlando Magic, Miami Heat and Minnesota Timberwolves. Add in the Grizzlies and Raptors in the middle of Jordan's two three-peats and it appears that league expansion would have been much more beneficial to MJ that Lebron (I realize that your main point was how expansion affected scoring, but I wanted to at least mention how if could directly relate to the MJ vs Lebron debate).

In regards to the effect of the increased prevalence of three point shooting and how it has affected scoring totals, there's concrete evidence to support the notion that the increase in 3 pointers has resulted in an increase in scoring. To illustrate this point just look at the data. The overall FG percentage of all 2 point shots is typically between 48-50 percent overall (depending on the specific year). The total FG percentage for 3 pointers is typically 35-37 percent in recent years. As long as the league percentage for 3 pointers is greater than 2/3's of the league percentage for 2 pointers, scoring will increase with more 3 pointers. I understand this is an oversimplification since it doesn't take FT's into account, but I just wanted to provide a simple explanation. The easiest way to see how the increased 3 point shooting has affected the league is just to look at how scoring has increased over the past five years or so. It is actually higher in the last few years than it has been at any time since the Bulls completed their first 3 peat.

As far as the way that MJ would have been affected by the change in playing style across the league, I feel it would have the complete opposite effect than you. As great as Jordan was, he was never considered an elite long range shooter. His jumper improved significantly as he got older, but he was still never known as any kind of sharp-shooter. Lebron isn't known for his long-range jumper either, but he does have a better career 3 point percentage than Jordan (.344 to .327). Judging by his 3 point FG percentage, it doesn't appear that Jordan would have been used heavily to shoot 3 pointers, especially considering many of his teammates were better in this area (John Paxson, BJ Armstrong, Steve Kerr, Toni Kukoc). Ergo, if Jordan's teammates would have been taking more 3 point shots per game, this would have resulted in a reduction in the number of FG attempts per game for Jordan himself.

In reference to the teams that each has played against in the playoffs, I don't disagree that the East has been the weaker conference in Lebron's era compared to Jordan's era when it as the stronger conference. However, if you want to point out the Larry Bird Celtics and the Bad Boys as the reason that Jordan had trouble in the playoffs in the first part of his career, I would counter that the Pierce-Garnett-Allen Celtics that knocked LBJ out of the playoffs a few times were a very strong team. They certainly weren't as good as the Bird-Parish-McHale Big Three Celtics teams of the 80's, but I would actually make the argument that they were at least equal to the Bad Boy Pistons squads of the late 80's. Lebron eventually went on to defeat them on his way to the Finals. The Pistons of the mid 2000's that knocked Lebron out of the playoffs were a pretty good team too, although there's no doubt they weren't the same as the Bad Bay Pistons.

The important thing to point out is that even though he may have faced weaker competition in the Eastern Conference playoffs than Jordan, Lebron has managed to make it to the NBA Finals in every year that he has been on a team that has at least one other all-star caliber player (unless you want to count Mo Williams as all-star caliber in 2009). Regardless of competition level, it is a fact that Jordan never won a single playoff series without a HOF caliber teammate.

If you are going to make an argument against Lebron compared to Jordan because of the weaker competition he has faced in the Eastern Conference then it's only fair to use the exact same logic in favor of Lebron because of the stronger teams that he has faced in the NBA Finals. Of the teams that Lebron has played in his 8 Finals appearances, I would put the three Warriors teams as the best with the three Spurs teams as the second best out of all the Finals opponents that each of them has played. The aging Lakers that Jordan played might be the third best team followed by the Jazz. After that I would put the Thunder as the next best with the Mavs, Trail Blazers and Suns all being pretty close. The worst team that either of them played in the Finals would be the SuperSonics.

As great as Jordan was in the NBA Finals, I don't know if any of his teams (96 Bulls included) would have ever been able to beat the Warriors. This is speculation of course, but you to admit that Lebron's Finals opponents have been better than Jordan's Finals opponents.

Also, there's one other major difference that is too often overlooked in this debate. Jordan benefited from having the greatest coach of all time. In every FULL season that Jordan played under Phil Jackson except for the first season, they went on to become NBA Champions. Jordan began winning championships only after he benefited from Jackson's triangle offense as opposed to the different style he played in his earlier career. James has never had a coach of anywhere near that caliber. Just look at how good of a coach Mike Brown turned out to be when he didn't have Lebron to make him look good. Jackson on the other hand went on to win 5 more championships without Jordan.

Finally, although it's true that Lebron has had all-star and HOF level teammates ever since he left Cleveland for Miami, the Heat and recent Cavs teams would have been better if they had been able to surround Lebron with elite talent that would be able to complement his style of play. For as good as Wade and Lebron both were during their time in Miami, their playing styles do not complement one another. Each of them still managed to put up good numbers, but with both of them being primary ball handlers that prefer to drive to the basket and short range pull up jumpers, they got in each others way much more than Jordan and Pippen ever did. The same thing happened in Cleveland with Lebron and Kyrie Irving. As talented as both are, once again they are both primary ball handlers that prefer to drive to the basket and shoot short range jumpers. Irving did improve his long range jumper, but he was never the ideal type of player to play alongside Lebron.

As good as Bosh and Love are, Lebron would be better served if he had an elite defender and rebounder (Love is a great rebounder but average defender) as the third piece of the puzzle with an elite wing defender who could move with or without the ball. Lebron has never had a teammate that could play defense on a level anywhere near Scottie Pippen or Dennis Rodman.

Almost forgot about the Jason Terry debate. I completely agree that JET has never been a superstar anywhere near the level of Lebron, but the reason that I don't consider him to be a role player is because he logged as many minutes as a typical starter and it was only for strategical reasons that he came off the bench. Remember back in OKC when James Harden came off the bench. I wouldn't have considered him to be a role player back then either. Regardless, you're right that no one would have called Jordan out the way Terry called Lebron out.

There's no denying the fact that Lebron didn't play up to his usual level in his first two Finals appearances. Jordan has a clear advantage in that he never had a Finals series where he performed like James did against the Spurs and Mavs. However, if you compare the career playoff numbers for Lebron and MJ they are actually pretty close. Jordan has the advantage in scoring (33.4 to 28.7 ppg) and steals (2.1 to 1.8), but Lebron has the lead in rebounds (8.9 to 6.4), assists (7.0 to 5.7) and blocks (1.0 to 0.9). Their FG percentage and 3 point percentage are virtually identical.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html

Reactions: MJDaGod6Rings
Dennis Rodman was 37 years old at the end of his three-peat with the Bulls. If you think playing with a 37 year old Rodman is comparable to playing with Wade/Bosh/Love/Kyrie then I don't know what to tell you. Of course, Ray Allen did come off the bench as an old man and save LBJ from yet another Finals loss with that miracle corner three....

As for pointing to the 73 win Warriors, anyone who has watched the NBA understood that series was toast until the league stepped in and banned Draymond for what amounts to hurting people's feelings over the course of a season. Of course nothing was done originally, but then Lebron cried about it after the game until the NBA stepped in, otherwise that series was over in Oracle with the Ws up 3-1. The NBA rigged the game by suspending Draymond, and then Bogut went down on top of that, so the rim protection was gone.

But since you want to point to the 73 win Ws....let me ask you this question:

Did Michael Jordan ever lose to the likes of a 57 win Dallas Mavericks team in the Finals? Please point out the 57 win team that MJ lost to in the Finals.

Thanks.

Rodman may have been 37 at the end of the 1998 season, but he did still manage to lead the league in rebounding during all three years of the Bulls' second 3-peat. He was also still an elite defender at that age. He may not have been as good of an all-around player as Wade/Bosh/Love/Irving, but given the team dynamic with Jordan and Pippen, Rodman was much more valuable in his role than any of the the third best players that Lebron has ever had (Bosh/Love). I would say that Pippen was more valuable as a teammate to Jordan than any teammate Lebron has ever had given his ability to play elite defense, be productive as the 2nd scoring option and as a facilitator. Wade and Irving were both great as 2nd scoring options and at finding open teammates, but neither were able to defend anywhere near the level of Pippen. Wade was an above average defender at times, but Irving was usually a defensive liability.

Reactions: wentzel25
i have just glanced at a crock of crap..excuses, half baked BS reasoning..now its time i go throw up

the truth is.... one is 6-0 in the finals with no championship series going 7 games

the other.... is 3-5 in championship series

Reactions: USC2626
Rodman may have been 37 at the end of the 1998 season, but he did still manage to lead the league in rebounding during all three years of the Bulls' second 3-peat. He was also still an elite defender at that age. He may not have been as good of an all-around player as Wade/Bosh/Love/Irving, but given the team dynamic with Jordan and Pippen, Rodman was much more valuable in his role than any of the the third best players that Lebron has ever had (Bosh/Love). I would say that Pippen was more valuable as a teammate to Jordan than any teammate Lebron has ever had given his ability to play elite defense, be productive as the 2nd scoring option and as a facilitator. Wade and Irving were both great as 2nd scoring options and at finding open teammates, but neither were able to defend anywhere near the level of Pippen. Wade was an above average defender at times, but Irving was usually a defensive liability.

My man I like your style, and I'm quoting your second post because your first one was just too damn long haha. It was a great response, though. Some points I will definitely cede to you, and others we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I agree that Pippen was an ideal running mate for Jordan with his all around game and ability to both defend on his lonesome and pair with Jordan to form the Doberman Defense. It was a sight to behold watching those two dog the hell out of someone trying to bring the ball up the floor. Now I will say that we have to be careful about how we talk about Kyrie, for even with his defensive lapses, he carried that 2015 Cavs to the title as much as LBJ did. I don't know that I've ever seen anyone go on such a shotmaking tear as Kyrie did in the last couple of games of that series. He was driving the lane and hitting those English shots off the glass and stepping back for 3s in people's faces, including hitting the penultimate shot of the series in that game 7 with less than a minute with a hand in his face. I believe that Kyrie went for 40 twice in that Finals, which is something that I don't think Pippen ever did even once in 6 different Finals series.

As for the quality of opponents in the Finals, I will again say that it is impossible to ask the question about Jordan facing a 73 win team without asking when did Jordan lose to a 57 win team like the Mavs in the Finals? The answer to both is obviously "no", and it is again impossible to mention that 73 win team without noting how the NBA stepped in and altered the course of that series. I can't honestly remember a player of Green's magnitude being suspended for a game in the Finals, and the Ws were in the process of running the Cavs out of the series to that point. It would be very naive to suggest that his suspension didn't have a dramatic effect on that 73 win team in that series, and of course we know that Bogut then went down once the NBA helped crack that door for the Cavs.

It is fair to bring up the KG/Pierce Celtics, but I'm talking specifically about this last 7 year run that LBJ has been on in the East. Both MJ and LBJ met better teams earlier in their careers. Jordan's competition in those Bird Celtics and Bad Boys was far superior to the latter day incarnations of the Celtics and Pistons that LBJ met, but they both had hurdles to clear initially in the East. The difference between the East top to bottom is really stark between the two eras, though. LBJ gets credit for making those 7 Finals in a row, sure, but he's played absolutely nobody of consequence during that run apart from maybe the first year in Miami going against Boston, though I think that was the year KG missed the playoffs and the Cs age really started to show. It was a far cry from the 08 Celts that won that title, as all of Pierce/KG/Ray joined that 08 team on the back halves of their careers (KG had won his MVP in 2003).

Again, if we're going to praise LBJ for running through a weak East when literally every year he has done it he has had a handpicked superteam around him and had the most talent in the East around him (up til this year at least), then I think it's a bit weak to make excuses for him when he finally runs up on decent competition in the West. People can point to the Ws as a juggernaut, but there was nothing special about the Mavs or the Spurs team with an old Duncan on it relative to other NBA champions. Unlike Jordan, LBJ should have lost another Finals, but Popovich's ludicrous decision to put Duncan on the bench for the final possession, Manu's missed FTs, and Ray Allen's miracle 3 (after LBJ bricked his attempt at a tying shot) combined to bail LBJ out of another Finals. LBJ is beyond fortunate not to have another Finals L on his resume. Jordan obviously never even got taken to game 7 in a Finals much less faced elimination. I know we're talking hypothetically here, but obviously anyone who watched the end of regulation in that Game 6 thought the Heat were toast.

I also again don't like the talk about how Jordan never won a playoff series without a HOFer. For one thing, it ignores the level of competition (you literally said "regardless of the level of competition", which I strongly disagree with) and the level of play of Scottie Pippen during his evolution.

As I mentioned upthread, Jordan in his first three years faced teams that won 59, 68, and 59 wins. The latter two were the Bird Celtics, and the 68 win team is considered by many to be one of the top three NBA teams of all time. Meanwhile, LBJ missed the playoffs entirely his first two seasons and then faced the Washington Wizards three times who had 43, 42, 41 win totals. So do we really think that LBJ would have fared any better if he had faced the teams that Jordan faced in Jordan's first three years? Do you think that Jordan, who dropped 63 and 49 on Boston in a three game series and still lost, might have beaten one of those 42 win Wizards teams? I certainly think so. Either way, to not account for level of competition when making such statements is doing a disservice to Jordan.

Now let's look at HOFer Scottie Pippen in relation to Jordan's playoffs wins. Jordan won his first playoff series in the 1988 playoffs when Pippen was a rookie. Here are their statlines for those playoffs:

MJ: 36p/7r/5a/2s/1b 43 min played per game

Pippen: 10p/5r/2a/1s/1b 29 min played per game

I think you can see where I'm going with this right off the bat. While it is technically correct to say that Jordan was playing with an eventual HOFer, this version of a rookie Pippen was nothing like the HOF version of Pippen. It's very disingenuous to then say that Jordan never won without a HOF teammate. Pippen's stats grew incrementally the next season, but he didn't see marked improvement until his third season. If you remember that third Pippen season, that is when the Bulls lost to the Bad Boys in 7, and Pippen was pretty much knocked out in that Game 7 as a result of a "migraine" after Rodman slammed his head into the hoop under the basket. That Bad Boys team would go on to sweep the NBA Finals for their second consecutive title.

Pippen didn't make the All Star team until 1990, so let's again not act like MJ was playing next to an All Star while making those playoff runs in the late 80s. Horace Grant, contrary to the belief of many, never even made an All Star team as a Bull. As I tried to explain to someone upthread, facts are severely devalued when not given their proper context. While I suppose it is factually correct to say that MJ never won a playoff series without a HOF teammate, it is ludicrous to use that as any real measuring stick when you peel back the layers and realize that Jordan won series with a rookie Pippen and a second year Pippen before Pippen was even an All Star, much less a HOF caliber player.

One last disagreement I have with you is that I think Jordan had a deadly midrange jumper. He consciously sought to improve it when he entered the league, but if you even look of the footage of his national title gamewinner at UNC, his mechanics have always been much purer than LBJ (hell, look at his last shot as a Bull to win the title and the perfect form is still there). Once he rose to MVP level, he had a knock-down midrange jumper. I see no reason to doubt that he would have been a great three point shooter if he had dedicated himself to that aspect of the game in accordance with NBA trends, as I know how money he was again on those midrange jumpers. This is something I pulled from a fact sheet from ESPN:

By the end of his tenure with the Bulls, Jordan had developed into the game’s best mid-range scorer. His final two seasons in Chicago, Jordan made 997 mid-range shots, over 250 more than any other player.

Of course, he also had the most dominant fadeaway jumper in the history of the league and was the best post player in the league this side of Olajuwon due to the purity of that shot, so I again strongly disagree with your assertion that he wasn't a dead-eye jump shooter, especially in a league where people were hanging off of him as he shot without a whistle being called.

Reactions: cornstock84
Looks like the debate may be a lot closer to beong setlled after LeBron's relatively poor performance last night. But this assertion that the refs let people foul Jordan is just not true. His free throw attempt stats back that up. Jordan also had a nice hook move with his back arm on a post up that was basically an offensive foul. One more interesting thing I notice is that Jordan seemed to start the play a lot sooner than LeBron for some reason. Even though LeBron is a great passer, at the start of a play, Jordan seemed to know where his teamates were a split second faster than LeBron.

Jordan was definitely the most gifted NBA player of all time .... gifted and fawned over by the league, the media, the Nike whores, and especially by the crooked refs of that time. When the commissioner (has the NBA ever really had a decent one) put the refs on notice during the playoffs one year with a public statement such as "Jordan better not foul out", he was just putting his mouth where his money was banked. Jordan was an advertising icon, a golden cash cow, and the face of the NBA during the dumpster fire years of the early to mid 1990's. Rest assured, MJ always got his way with the officials and the league office.

This thread ... you can have your MJs and LBJs. I'm telling you, dammit, Magic Johnson was great of all time. He would have 30 titles if he hadn't gotten AIDS.

For what it's worth, Kareem said a couple of years ago that, in his opinion, neither Jordan or James were as good as Oscar Robertson. He did play against both Michael and Oscar in their prime, and also was teammates with Robertson for a year or two near the end of the "Big O's" career.

After watching the game last night , where Lebron was Spectacular..... gotta say MJ . I think what is not being discussed are MJ’s intangibles . Lebron is clearly a solid leader but MJ was on a different level . His own teammates admit they were scared to death of MJ’s wraith if they didn’t perform . He used to blister Luc Longley and Bill Cartwright in the middle of games . I just don’t see the same intensity from Lebron . I think that’s the reason MJ never lost a finals and Lebron has lost 5 . MJ would never settle for the lack of efforts Lebron gets from his guys . MJ would crack people’s heads in the locker room , ask Steve Kerr !!!

One of the main things I took from last night's game was that LBJ really doesn't play defense any more. He came out and blistered the Cs in the first quarter, but then the Cavs went on to give up something ridiculous like 40+ open shots to the Celtics. Many of those shots featured LBJ standing prominently in the lane like he had no idea that he was supposed to close out on a shooter. Jeff Van Gundy and Mark Jackson, who both normally slurp LBJ, each called him out last night.

If you're the leader of the team and the best player on the planet, you can't dog it on one end of the floor no matter how brilliant you are (at least for one quarter) on the other end. I have noticed that LBJ has been picking and choosing when to even attempt to play D the last few seasons, and the Finals last year were really eye-opening in terms of how rooted to the ground he looked. Now there's no shame in getting cooked by Kevin Durant, but the Ws as a whole regardless of player shot close to 70% when matched up against him in that Finals.

LBJ carried his defensive lapses into this regular season, as he wound up ranked 309th in the league in terms of defensive winshares. For those who never saw MJ play with the Bulls (again I don't really count 40 yr old MJ with the Wizards; nobody considers that the real Jordan for obv reasons), there never was a fall-off on defense. Consider that in Jordan's last championship with the Bulls at age 34, Jordan was voted first team All Defense and ranked 6th in defensive winshares. 6th...in the entire NBA. That is while leading the league in scoring by the way. He obviously finished that season hitting the gamewinner to clinch his sixth NBA title and sixth Finals MVP.

Now I can certainly listen to the idea that MJ as brilliant as he was defensively didn't have to go against a Kevin Durant since there really aren't many KDs in the history of the planet, but you can't stand there rooted to the floor while players like Andre Iguodala blow by you in the Finals. Moreover, you damn sure can't dog it on defense versus a Celtics team missing its two best players and devoid of a superstar. I don't care if Brad Stevens is Bear Bryant, you're going up against a team without a legit superstar and should be able to exert some defensive will.

Michael Jordan was first team All Defense every non-baseball season he played from 1988 (he actually was DPOY in 88) until he retired in 1998 after his second threepeat. In addition to leading the league in scoring 10 times, he also led the league in steals 3 times. When you see LBJ getting dogged on defense against a bunch of no-names in Boston, think about Jordan being 6th in defensive winshares and first team All-Defense in his final year as a Bull.

LBJ has been first team All Defense 5 times and was second team once in 2014. The last three seasons he hasn't been on either team. Again, contrast that with how Jordan finished his real career with the Bulls by being first team All Defense each season (giving him 9 times total) and ranking at the top of the league in defensive winshares.

****Just for the hell of it, I looked MJ's defensive ranking up from his last season with the Wizards. He ranked 73rd in the league....as a 40 year-old. LBJ again ranked 309th this season.

Last edited:
Michael Jordan was first team All Defense every non-baseball season he played from 1988 (he actually was DPOY in 88) until he retired in 1998 after his second threepeat. In addition to leading the league in scoring 10 times, he also led the league in steals 3 times. When you see LBJ getting dogged on defense against a bunch of no-names in Boston, think about Jordan being 6th in defensive winshares and first team All-Defense in his final year as a Bull.

LBJ has been first team All Defense 5 times and was second team once in 2014. The last three seasons he hasn't been on either team. Again, contrast that with how Jordan finished his real career with the Bulls by being first team All Defense each season (giving him 9 times total) and ranking at the top of the league in defensive winshares.

****Just for the hell of it, I looked MJ's defensive ranking up from his last season with the Wizards. He ranked 73rd in the league....as a 40 year-old. LBJ again ranked 309th this season.[/QUOTE]

Excellent post. I don't think James will be back in Cleveland again next season (or whenever his contract expires). He's padding his offensive numbers because that seems to be everybody's first "go to" when evaluating a player. That's also his legacy, and he knows it. He did what he needed to do in Cleveland. He soothed the wound he inflicted by leaving before by going back and delivering the NBA title he promised. He's done that, and does not owe then anything else in my book. If the Cleveland front office is not going to put together the team he wants (or can't), why should he stay? He will "take his talents" elsewhere to hopefully win more titles before he hangs it up.

But I do know that MJ won his last 3 titles when he was older than LBJ is right now, so this story isn't finished, and yet people already have this all figured out...
That's it right there. End of story. People are comparing a COMPLETED career to one that is still active. You can't tell which one is the best in history until HISTORY is written.

Lebron James adds another impressive accomplishment to his resume by taking this Cavs team to the Finals again. And he does it without his #2 scorer in Game 7 on the road. It might be asking a lot for him to carry the team to another title. But if he does, he will be another step closer to the GOAT. As I last said, this story isn’t over yet...

I dont really care for the NBA and I really only tune in for the finals so I dont really have a dog in the fight but I did want to weigh in.

Im not sure its fair to compare records in the NBA files between Jordan and Lebron. Jordan's Bulls teams were full of future hall of famers as his supporting cast. Who does Lebron James have from on his team currently that would be considered an all time player equal to a Scottie Pippin, Dennis Rodman, Toni Kukoc, Steve Kerr, ect? How about Coach Phil Jackson and his triangle offense which went on to have another dynasty at Los Angeles?

I really do think Lebron is the better individual player. I think the only teams he played on that had comparable talent to Jordan's Bulls squads of the 90s were the Miami Heat teams where there were 2-3 other stars on the roster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT