ADVERTISEMENT

Most disappointed in a gamecock football performance you've ever been

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
A lot of consideration was given to 63-17 but by that point our team was emotionally done, so not as surprised as I was 2 years earlier in 2001 when Florida went 54-17 on us at WB, we were a top 15 team playing at home and I was thinking upset or at worst we keep it close, my father and I have talked about that game many times over the years and we both agreed that Carolina was shown the difference between good and elite, we played good that night, they were just better. I still don't understand how they lost at home to UcheaT at the end of the year.

2016 and 2017 against Clemson. Maybe I have recency bias, but these really sting. I know there is a massive talent discrepancy, but we were flat out scared both times and our play on the field showed it. Especially 2017 being at home- to not come out and hit them in the mouth and at least play smart/tough was extremely disappointing.

As much as I hate to admit it, they are just in our heads right now. This, coupled with the talent discrepancy, has made these last two pretty awful. I love Coach Boom, but this has to change.

38-0 home loss to Mississippi State in 1998. The previous week's loss to Marshall had been bad, but the team didn;t just give up. That team had way too much talent for such a season to be comprehended.

The Bad: Our team just laid down, rolled over and sad "rape me. The season is over."
The Good: we, the fans, gave up on FBrad along with the team.

38-0 home loss to Mississippi State in 1998. The previous week's loss to Marshall had been bad, but the team didn;t just give up. That team had way too much talent for such a season to be comprehended.

The Bad: Our team just laid down, rolled over and sad "rape me. The season is over."
The Good: we, the fans, gave up on FBrad along with the team.

I went to a Braves game the night before. Drove back to Columbia to catch that noon kickoff and by 12:15 wondered why the hell I bothered

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
That I personally witnessed at WB is a tie between 07 Vandy when we were ranked 6 in the country and 11 when we lost to an average Auburn team at home.

Vandy sucked b/c we were ranked so high, but most felt we were overrated at that point...to have the rug pulled out by Vandy though hurt.

Auburn I don't think I really need to expand on. That game cost us at minimum an SEC-E championship. We were a much better team generally speaking...stupid Lutzenkurchen.

I think it was the Florida game a few years ago...we got beat something like 44-11 and they had like 150 yds of total offensive that game. I never seen so many mistakes in one game. I think we were still ranked in the top 10 at that time.

Reactions: DrMickey
Larry Davis vs Coppin st in the NCAA tourney round 1. We were a 2 seed and they were a 15 seed.

Davis was one of our shooting guards and didnt score a fg the entire game. I think he averaged around 15 pts per game during the year. I think Larry finished with 1 pt after a foul shot at the end of the game

My bad thought it was for any sport not just football

2016 and 2017 against Clemson. Maybe I have recency bias, but these really sting. I know there is a massive talent discrepancy, but we were flat out scared both times and our play on the field showed it. Especially 2017 being at home- to not come out and hit them in the mouth and at least play smart/tough was extremely disappointing.

As much as I hate to admit it, they are just in our heads right now. This, coupled with the talent discrepancy, has made these last two pretty awful. I love Coach Boom, but this has to change.
it's hard to play smash mouth football anymore. the yellow hankies and ejections would be flying all over...js

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Lot to choose from. I'll go with Vandy '07. Deflating loss. Season started off with a bang and then sunk starting with that loss. I was really pissed after leaving that game. Took a cute blonde that was a diehard fan. We thought we had jinxed the team so we didn't go out again. By season's end, Tyrone Nix had personally awarded Tim Tebow the Heisman trophy and gave Darren McFadden a close second place finish.

Last edited:
The 2011 Auburn game for certain and the UT the next year game both cost us Eastern Titles . I would also have to Say the Kentucky “Randall Cobb bowl” game the week after we beat Bama . Think we were up 28 at halftime and then just fell apart in the second half . All that momentum after beating Alabama and then we go into Kentucky and lose . Still remember right before that 4th and a mile TD pass .... “We need to put 4 DB’s on Cobb”. 10 seconds later he blows by our DB who was left on an island with him !! Still in my mind one of the Dumbest defensive calls in the history of our program . Jeezz this could be a world record thread. When was the FSU game when they came in to WB and dropped like 50 on us at the half ?? I think Peter Tom Willis was the QB . That was the game where FSU ran back the opening kickoff , we threw a pick six to Terrell Buckley on our first offensive play and then went 3 and out and then they Returned the punt for a TD . 21-0 in 2 minutes and FSU’s offense hasn’t touch the field yet . That was about as bad as it got .

Marshall finished 12-1 the year they beat you guys...13-0 the next year that they beat us.
They had that really good QB who's name escapes me! I don't think he had a great NFL career but was great college QB.

Kentucky last year was pretty bad.

Agreed. That was absolutely deflating. After the two big wins away from home and all the build up to that one...

To not only crap the bed like we did, but also lose what looked like a Heisman contender in Deebo.. Absolutely sickening night. I didn't think we'd win 3 more games after that. Luckily we bounced back.

Reactions: Carolina4
‘07 & ‘08 Vanderbilt games for me. That was the game when I decided it was ok to miss a home game from time to time. Wasn’t just that we lost but how we lost. 6 points?!?! Spurrier was so stubborn that game. Would drive ball to Vandy 30 every time and then start throwing to the end zone.

In ‘08 I was sure we would punish them for the previous year. I had never been so angry as a Gamecock fan as when we lost this game. I remember sitting outside burning my Gamecock car flags swearing off football for good this time...y’all see how that lasted.

They had that really good QB who's name escapes me! I don't think he had a great NFL career but was great college QB.

Chad Pennington and he had a decent career with the Jets but threw his arm out. This was the year after Randy Moss left. We had “Ground” Chuck Reedy as our OC. Marshall best Clemson the following season as well, without Pennington.

Reactions: Triton20x
I'd say Navy 84. So much at stake.

But can you be disappointed in a loss and not in the team that suffered it?
That was a great team, even with that particular loss, and a great season, and I got so much sheer joy from it.

Could never be disappointed in that team.

A lot of consideration was given to 63-17 but by that point our team was emotionally done, so not as surprised as I was 2 years earlier in 2001 when Florida went 54-17 on us at WB, we were a top 15 team playing at home and I was thinking upset or at worst we keep it close, my father and I have talked about that game many times over the years and we both agreed that Carolina was shown the difference between good and elite, we played good that night, they were just better. I still don't understand how they lost at home to UcheaT at the end of the year.

the 2 consecutive missed fg attempts on 2 consecutive plays vs ecu

The simple answer is there are too many moments to list. This team has disappointed us so many times through the decades.

It's awfully hard to argue with the '84 Navy game. Never has so much been on the line to come up so short against a pretty sorry team.

63-17, the Citadel losses, the blackout game against Florida, all worthy contenders as well.

Personally, the 2010 game at Kentucky stands out. We were the darling of college football after beating #1 and defending national champions Alabama. But the 2nd half of that Kentucky game the following week brought us crashing back down to earth with a thud.[/QUOTE]

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT