ADVERTISEMENT

Muschamp> Stoops

jjjpppbbb

Jun 10, 2010
Whats up everyone? Been awhile since I've posted. 5 small kids, etc. Ive been thinking about some of my frustration about our performance this year, especially coming off an unexpectedly good year, last year. Also, I've been consistently surprised at how unrealistic our fan base can be (me included), specifically in terms of a lack of patience with development. And it occurred to me that what Stoops has done at Kentucky is a great example of how our mentality should be moving forward and why we have MUCH more room for long-term optimism than KU does with Stoops. Here are my points to prove such a claim:

1) Like Kentucky, we are not going to consistently pull in the kinds of recruits that UGA is going to bring in. We will always be working to catch up in that department. We can consistently pull in top 15 classes. That is huge for us. In the long run, CWM will always be a superior recruiter; something Stoops can not claim.

2) Much like KU has done this year, we will need to keep on quietly getting better and then take advantage of a season or two to prove that Champ's program is on par or can be better than that of UGA, maybe UF (will will see what DM does there).

3) If we can be patient in recruiting and development, I believe we can build something that will eventually carry its own momentum. We simply do not have the program history or reputation to rely on in the way UGA, UF, et al do.

4) Boooing Jake Bently does not help. Having a fan base that is unrealistic does not ingratiate itself to the long-term rootedness that we will need to keep a very good coach like CWM around.

Programs win championships and we have never even sniffed at what that looks like until Spurrier came here. We've got to let CWM build it- it will emerge eventually. I think he's a better coach than anyone in the east.

0 is not greater than 4. (Muschamp vs Stoops head to head). Muschamp has done a good job but taking shots at the coach that has handed us our butt four years in a row isn’t the way to prove the point.

I agree with points 2 and 3. We must build and it will take time to get that consistent momentum. However losing to Kentucky consistently doesn’t help that momentum. We need to win against a big time team (Georgia, Clemson, Alabama), not teams struggling to get to .500 in conference (Missouri, Tennessee and Ole Miss).

Point 4 is a moot point. Fans can and should boo when performance is piss poor. Bentley has looked much like the QB fans expected the last 2 games. That does not negate the fact he looked like Jay Cutler with the Broncos for most of the season.

The Bentley lovers are quick to mention how weak Missouri is. Scarneccia played pretty good against a Missouri team that just beat the piss out of Florida and took Kentucky to the final gun.

The fans were tired of seeing the same results without action. I’m glad Bentley has turned it around, but to say not boo is not realistic. All fan bases boo when the performance is poor.

Reactions: spook spook
To the OP I agree with you for sure on the statements about being patient and continuing to recruit and build up things. It wont happen overnight but we could put together some solid runs if we are patient.
Coach ultimately is going to have to get that done...I think he'll get a long enough leash to prove it. If we can finish out strong this season, bring in a solid class, and battle like hell next season then who knows what could happen.
I just prefer being optimistic and I think if we fail it wont be for lack of hard work on the staff's end of things.....I just hope as they are working hard they are also working smart.

Also, not sure if the "KU" reference was on purpose but I'd like to hope it was

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Whats up everyone? Been awhile since I've posted. 5 small kids, etc. Ive been thinking about some of my frustration about our performance this year, especially coming off an unexpectedly good year, last year. Also, I've been consistently surprised at how unrealistic our fan base can be (me included), specifically in terms of a lack of patience with development. And it occurred to me that what Stoops has done at Kentucky is a great example of how our mentality should be moving forward and why we have MUCH more room for long-term optimism than KU does with Stoops. Here are my points to prove such a claim:

1) Like Kentucky, we are not going to consistently pull in the kinds of recruits that UGA is going to bring in. We will always be working to catch up in that department. We can consistently pull in top 15 classes. That is huge for us. In the long run, CWM will always be a superior recruiter; something Stoops can not claim.

2) Much like KU has done this year, we will need to keep on quietly getting better and then take advantage of a season or two to prove that Champ's program is on par or can be better than that of UGA, maybe UF (will will see what DM does there).

3) If we can be patient in recruiting and development, I believe we can build something that will eventually carry its own momentum. We simply do not have the program history or reputation to rely on in the way UGA, UF, et al do.

4) Boooing Jake Bently does not help. Having a fan base that is unrealistic does not ingratiate itself to the long-term rootedness that we will need to keep a very good coach like CWM around.

Programs win championships and we have never even sniffed at what that looks like until Spurrier came here. We've got to let CWM build it- it will emerge eventually. I think he's a better coach than anyone in the east.

Well we won a true title. The 1969 ACC championship so we have sniffed it. Sos took us places we had never gone however he never had us within sniffing distance of a national chanpionship.

If we are comparing ourselves to Kentucky we’re screwed. They’ve had a nice run. But being better than Kentucky doesn’t usually mean a whole lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT