ADVERTISEMENT

my top 5 to hire and top 5 to avoid and why

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
To Hire
Billy Napier - clear best choice to me
Shane Beamer - would be outstanding if he builds a great staff
Bill Clark - What he has done at UAB after not having a team for 2 years is amazing
Tony Elliot - I doubt it happens but he checks as many boxes as there are to check
Will Healy - Up and Comer but would be the last choice of my top 5

To Avoid
Hugh Freeze - We have a hard enough time getting SEC officials to respect us, why push it by hiring someone they redflagged
Urban Myer - We need long term success, not someone here 4 years and then site health issues as why leaving. He has done that twice now.
Jamey Chadwell - Selfish Reason here. As Coastal Alum I want him to stay there and keep building that program
Joe Brady - We would only be a stepping stone to an NFL job in 2 years then back to hiring again
Brent Venables - We desperately need an offensive coach right now unless Gus Malzhan gets fired and he brings him in to run offense.

I know some will disagree but this is just how I would go about it based on names that I have heard. I still wish Tanner asked me at the Muschamp hire because I was all behind going for Mario Cristobal and posted that several times on here and he is now taking Oregon back to big heights so we missed out on that one.

To Hire
Bill Clark - What he has done at UAB after not having a team for 2 years is amazing
Tony Elliot - I doubt it happens but he checks as many boxes as there are to check

To Avoid
Hugh Freeze - We have a hard enough time getting SEC officials to respect us, why push it by hiring someone they redflagged
Urban Myer - We need long term success, not someone here 4 years and then site health issues as why leaving. He has done that twice now.
Jamey Chadwell - Selfish Reason here. As Coastal Alum I want him to stay there and keep building that program
Joe Brady - We would only be a stepping stone to an NFL job in 2 years then back to hiring again
Brent Venables - We desperately need an offensive coach right now unless Gus Malzhan gets fired and he brings him in to run offense.

I know some will disagree but this is just how I would go about it based on names that I have heard. I still wish Tanner asked me at the Muschamp hire because I was all behind going for Mario Cristobal and posted that several times on here and he is now taking Oregon back to big heights so we missed out on that one.
Hate to be a downer but if we don’t get Chadwell, someone will either this year or next. Way too many eyeballs on him for anyone to not notice him.

Reactions: JOEFANATIC
To Hire

To Avoid

I agree with your list but CCU needs to be on the hire list.

Reactions: JOEFANATIC
Let me get this straight about Chadwell. Y’all want to hire a coach in his third season that is 15 and 16 at CCU because he is undefeated this year and has not beaten know one. He has no Power 5 experience as a Coordinator or Head Coach. Y’all do understand that this will be the biggest and most important hire yet. We might as well keep Bobo and get a new defensive staff. Chadwell would be Sparky Woods 2.0. I still say Gamecock football is a great job. We have the Facilities, Fan base and money. We should never take the back seat to anyone.

I think Napier is the best fit.

Looking at other SEC team boards, Hugh Freeze is who they fear USC hiring. Make of that what you will. IMO, if we do not hire Freeze, UT will get him. We will see him live at WB one way or the other.

While I like several of those and don't like a few, when you have to say "IF" then that's not a good hire imo.

I still remember hiring Muschamp "well, IF he learned from his mistakes."

Let's hire a coach based on what they've put on the field.

Reactions: okccock
Urban Meyer ain’t coming here. He thinks this job is beneath him.
Tony Elliot ain’t coming here. He is being groomed to take over for Dat Boy.
Chadwell...too much of an unknown.
Hugh Freeze...too much of a known.
Venables...defensive minded HC, been there and done that already.

Billy Napier is the guy and he will come cheap.

Reactions: Tyrannosaurus cox
To Hire

To Avoid

Napier - 100% agree. I think he's it.
Beamer - a little more risky, but I like the possibility if he's given time. He can recruit, and has ties here.
Clark - what he has done is amazing, but not sure if he's they.
Elliot - doubt he leaves Clemson or that they allow him to leave here. If we go after him and he turns us down that could be a huge hit in recruiting. "Even our assistants won't go there to be head coaches." If you go after him, you'd better get him.
Healy - Not sold on him making the jump from Charlotte to here.

I think Sark from Alabama is another one, but he may just play USC to get a raise from Alabama.

AVOID_
Freeze - too much baggage and an NCAA investigation waiting to happen. He's probably build a winner though.
Myer- no way in hell he is coming here, so we don't have to avoid him.
Chadwell - I don't think he's done enough
Brady -Agreed
Venables - same reason as Eliot.

Let me get this straight about Chadwell. Y’all want to hire a coach in his third season that is 15 and 16 at CCU because he is undefeated this year and has not beaten know one. He has no Power 5 experience as a Coordinator or Head Coach. ....
You do realize you've almost exactly described PJ Fleck half way through his final season at Western Michigan, don't you?

Fleck had one more year at WMU, but his record half way into season 4 was 17-21 in seasons 1-3 a 7-0 start in season 4.

Same can be said of Napier. Difference is eyes have already been on him and he has reportedly received offers.
Napier seems to be pretty picky about where he’s going. He’s already turned down 2 SEC schools so he’s got a destination in mind. Rumors say he’s been holding out for us but who can say for sure. All I know is I like the names I’m hearing ALOT more than what was being thrown out in 2015. There’s 7-8 coaches I would be happy with, I have my preferences but wouldn’t be disappointed unless it wasn’t one of those 7-8.

Napier seems to be pretty picky about where he’s going. He’s already turned down 2 SEC schools so he’s got a destination in mind. Rumors say he’s been holding out for us but who can say for sure. All I know is I like the names I’m hearing ALOT more than what was being thrown out in 2015. There’s 7-8 coaches I would be happy with, I have my preferences but wouldn’t be disappointed unless it wasn’t one of those 7-8.
What the insiders on MSU's 247 site were saying last year is that he was holding out for us and that was why he withdrew his name from consideration. Not sure if that could be verified, but it is what their take on it was.

Now the question is if he was holding out for us, does Napier know something we don't? Like behind the scenes contacts through agents for a while now.....just speculation, but people seldom turn down a couple of SEC HC positions for nothing.

Just thought I'd add to the numerous conspiracy theories that seem so popular today. LOL

Reactions: robertfootball
Supposedly, he told Finebaum that he was holding out for this job.

To Hire

To Avoid

Urban Meyer is also a terrible person. I draw the line somewhere.

Urban Meyer ain’t coming here. He thinks this job is beneath him.
Tony Elliot ain’t coming here. He is being groomed to take over for Dat Boy.
Chadwell...too much of an unknown.
Hugh Freeze...too much of a known.
Venables...defensive minded HC, been there and done that already.

Billy Napier is the guy and he will come cheap.
Urban Meyer is a literal piece of trash. Very rich to think he thinks ANY job is below him.

Reactions: mavcock
if we have any leverage at all, whatsoever, we need to use it. gotta be smart with the cheddar this time around.

Napier checks a lot of boxes in my book as have been stated many times already by others. What I really like is that he actually WANTS the job. That carries a lot of weight to me plus the fact that he is from SC. Hopefully we get him.
Freeze wants the job as well.

Who ever the coach is, he is going to need all 5 years to turn this ship around. Next year is going to be a disaster.Unless the guy a can get some good players this cycle somehow. I think the early signing period is going to hurt us this year.

Reactions: Robhawk29
Let me get this straight about Chadwell. Y’all want to hire a coach in his third season that is 15 and 16 at CCU because he is undefeated this year and has not beaten know one. He has no Power 5 experience as a Coordinator or Head Coach. Y’all do understand that this will be the biggest and most important hire yet. We might as well keep Bobo and get a new defensive staff. Chadwell would be Sparky Woods 2.0. I still say Gamecock football is a great job. We have the Facilities, Fan base and money. We should never take the back seat to anyone.

Chadwell is in his 11th year as a head coach at the college level. His only stop where he wasn't successful was Delta State, and that was because he was only there one year. It's not about his overall record, though. It's about the fact that he has a track record of success. The NCAA stuff is the only thing that gives me pause.

I don’t get the love for Shane Beamer. Is he rumored to be bringing Bud Foster and that lunch pail with him? If not, no thanks.

Freeze and Napier would be at the top of my list.

If USC brings in Freeze, they’re no better than Auburn - just taking every cast off for character issues no matter what they did to win a ton of games. Who wants to win a ton of games with bad character coaches and players? Championships, 11-win seasons, New Year’s Day bowls? No thank you.

I don't have Twitter. Are you basing this on the reactions of fans of opposing teams?
Yes I meant the fans of those teams have posted Tweets they hope we don’t get Freeze due to his ability to put forward innovative offenses.

What the insiders on MSU's 247 site were saying last year is that he was holding out for us and that was why he withdrew his name from consideration. Not sure if that could be verified, but it is what their take on it was.

Now the question is if he was holding out for us, does Napier know something we don't? Like behind the scenes contacts through agents for a while now.....just speculation, but people seldom turn down a couple of SEC HC positions for nothing.

Just thought I'd add to the numerous conspiracy theories that seem so popular today. LOL
I had a hi-level booster tell me the Sunday after the loss to Ta&M that it would be Napier, and that the board was asking the top 200 boosters to give an extra 10k a year for four years to buy Muschamp out. He was pretty convinced it would be Napier. Something has been in the works, I believe.

Reactions: rogue cock
Yes I meant the fans of those teams have posted Tweets they hope we don’t get Freeze due to his ability to put forward innovative offenses.
Thank you for the clarification. Ultimately, that's really just perception from a lot of people who don't usually know as much as they think.

I'm a classical vocalist. When they were all still alive, I think Luciano Pavarotti, Placido Domingo, and Jose Carreras would have easily been named the "best" tenors in the world if the casual listener were polled. The reality is there were LOTS of tenors who were much better, but because those 3 were marketed so heavily, the perception was that they were the best.

You do realize you've almost exactly described PJ Fleck half way through his final season at Western Michigan, don't you?

Fleck had one more year at WMU, but his record half way into season 4 was 17-21 in seasons 1-3 a 7-0 start in season 4.
And he is what? 1-3 this year? What makes people think Fleck is such a great coach? One or two good years at Minnesota?

I really like this article, my top 3 would be Freeze,Napier,and Chadwell. Any of these will do better than what we have now.

Now this is just sad:
Coming off its best 4-year stretch in program history from 2010-13 with Steve Spurrier, South Carolina is going to miss a Top-25 finish for the 7th consecutive season. During that stretch from 2014-present (the Playoff era), the Gamecocks watched these rivals/nearby programs do the following things:

• Clemson reach 4 national title games and win 2
  • Georgia win 3 SEC East titles, 1 SEC title and play for a national title
  • Florida win 2 SEC East titles (and it’s in shape to win a 3rd in 2020)
  • Kentucky win 5 in a row vs. South Carolina
That doesn’t include losing 2 in a row to Tennessee in 2019 and 2020, nor does it include watching Mack Brown beat the Gamecocks in his UNC debut or losing to Appalachian State with a first-year head coach.

During that 7-year stretch, South Carolina had 1 top-50 offense nationally. Four of the last 6 offenses didn’t even crack the top 90 in FBS. They never had a quarterback even sniff the All-SEC team at season’s end during that stretch, either. From 2015-19, South Carolina had 1 passing offense finish in the top half of FBS teams. It was in 2018, when the Gamecocks finished a Muschamp-era best No. 57 in scoring.

Thank you for the clarification. Ultimately, that's really just perception from a lot of people who don't usually know as much as they think.

I'm a classical vocalist. When they were all still alive, I think Luciano Pavarotti, Placido Domingo, and Jose Carreras would have easily been named the "best" tenors in the world if the casual listener were polled. The reality is there were LOTS of tenors who were much better, but because those 3 were marketed so heavily, the perception was that they were the best.
I know that while Muschamp has been Head Coach we have not had a single decent safety and Muschamp coaches safeties. I know that Muschamp is supposed to be a Defensive genius and GamecockCentral throws a party when we finally see an opposing teams punter.

Y'all do realize Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, Florida and Clemson fear Hugh Freeze the most out of any potential hires. This tells me all I need to know.
This is the absolute truth...no one wanted to play freezes teams and he most definitely BY FAR is the most feared by opponents that we hire...if you don’t agree with this 1) your just not paying attention 2) need to get off the cross...we need the wood...everyone deserves a second chance especially if you can recruit and win...freeze IS the fastest way to winning again...and if you believe he will come here to cheat again...your just an idiot...no one on earth more than hugh freeze knows how many eye balls are on his every move wherever he goes...and if we don’t get him...we will regret the hell out of it when he’s taking recruits away from us at Tennessee and using them to spank our asses like the rest of the world seems to be at the moment...bottom line is if you want this death trap of a program to completely re energize immediately THIS is the hire you make...PERIOD

Reactions: cadcock
This is the absolute truth...no one wanted to play freezes teams and he most definitely BY FAR is the most feared by opponents that we hire...if you don’t agree with this 1) your just not paying attention 2) need to get off the cross...we need the wood...everyone deserves a second chance especially if you can recruit and win...freeze IS the fastest way to winning again...and if you believe he will come here to cheat again...your just an idiot...no one on earth more than hugh freeze knows how many eye balls are on his every move wherever he goes...and if we don’t get him...we will regret the hell out of it when he’s taking recruits away from us at Tennessee and using them to spank our asses like the rest of the world seems to be at the moment...bottom line is if you want this death trap of a program to completely re energize immediately THIS is the hire you make...PERIOD
Based on what Sankey has stated, he's not going to allow it. Sankey has told programs not to touch Freeze while Ole Miss is still under NCAA penalties for violations incurred under Freeze's tenure. Ole Miss' probation ends at the end of 2020 but the scholarship limitations are in effect for 2 more years. He blocked Saban from hiring Freeze as OC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT