ADVERTISEMENT

Need advise - going to the UT away game for the fist

Poultrygeist

Feb 16, 2002
time. How is parking? Is there a particular road or area that has parking relatively close to the stadium? It will be myself and my 14 year old son. Is there much to do in Knoxville after the game? Any tips or advice about the trip will be appreciated. We are staying in Western NC and driving in from there on game day.

It’s been a few years for me, but I’ve been to Knoxville for 6 or 7 games.

The best I ever did getting in and getting back out was parking at “The Colesium” for like $20.00 bucks, and riding a double-decker bus for a couple of bucks.

Google “Colesium Knoxville game parking” and you’ll likely find current details.

Reactions: TAV31
We parked on campus, Melrose St. I think it cost $15.00, maybe 4 blocks from stadium.
Tennessee's Neyland Stadium looks good on the inside. On the outside its an ugly eyesore.

of-the-Florida-Gators-of-the-Tennessee-Volunteers-during-their-game-at-Neyland-Stadium-in-Knoxville.jpg

Get ready to hear rocky top 38693727 times and be squeezed into your “seat”.

Be there early and find a lot along the river for tailgating, that’s the best part. Plenty of places to eat just down the road, opposite the river, from the stadium. Google maps will help.

Parking is pretty bad because the river cuts off one side of the stadium. All the parking on one side so be prepared to walk. Last time I went I had some UT connections and parked within spitting distance of the stadium, and it was so much better.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I went to the game in 2017. I don't remember parking being too bad, but it has been a few years. If you're in the upper deck, be prepared for an extremely tight concourse packed with people at halftime if you try to make it to the bathrooms. That place has absolutely no room.

We used to always park at a Methodist Church a few blocks from the stadium. They were pretty chill. Only asked that beverages be in cups, and that if you became unruly you'd be asked to leave. Never saw any issues. They opened the church restrooms for us too. A couple years when we had Noon games, the UMM and UMW groups cooked breakfast for folks to enjoy for a donation. Not sure if they still do this or not. It's been a while since any of us have gone back to ob-Knox-ious-ville.

I went to the game in 2017. I don't remember parking being too bad, but it has been a few years. If you're in the upper deck, be prepared for an extremely tight concourse packed with people at halftime if you try to make it to the bathrooms. That place has absolutely no room.
Thanks, luckily my tickets are supposed to be in the lower section.

time. How is parking? Is there a particular road or area that has parking relatively close to the stadium? It will be myself and my 14 year old son. Is there much to do in Knoxville after the game? Any tips or advice about the trip will be appreciated. We are staying in Western NC and driving in from there on game day.
Get skinny as possible and bring a coat. That breeze off the river is a little cool and your seat at Tennessee is half the size of Williams Brice. Oh and our gate is camouflaged and located under the stadium. Parking is a crapshoot.

Reactions: TAV31
Calhoun's on the river is pretty good, you will probably need to get in line around 6:00 am with a noon kickoff.

I cover Knoxville as part of my territory and it is a nice town to work. I mainly hang out around Center St. because I like to hit the microbreweries in town. Knoxville has a great craft beer scene. The Crafty Bastard has some of the best suds anywhere and usually a good food truck. The Schultzbrau is a German Biergarten that serves German food and greats pizzas. You have a 14 year old with you though so that might not be your bag this trip, even though both are family/dog friendly and have non alcoholic options.

Litton’s is NE of town on your way back.. Have great hamburgers and steaks. They butcher their own cows. Great food.

They are not in Knoxville yet but are all around from Gatlinburg up to JC in Tennessee but PAL’S Sudden Service has killer hamburgers and fries.

Get some milk at the Weigle’s gas stations. They have their own dairy and the milk is literally just days old. Stations are usually clean like a QT. Usually.

We used to always park at a Methodist Church a few blocks from the stadium. They were pretty chill. Only asked that beverages be in cups, and that if you became unruly you'd be asked to leave. Never saw any issues. They opened the church restrooms for us too. A couple years when we had Noon games, the UMM and UMW groups cooked breakfast for folks to enjoy for a donation. Not sure if they still do this or not. It's been a while since any of us have gone back to ob-Knox-ious-ville.
Is this church across from Calhoun's?

No. It's Church Street UMC (just looked it up). The lot is at the corner of Cumberland and S. Broadway.

The one you're thinking of is First Baptist.
Church Street UMC is a great place to park. It is also easy to get into before the game and out of afterwards. A couple of blocks from the campus and a diagonal walk through the campus over to the stadium. Not terrible.

I second parking at the Methodist church, parked there in 2017 and they had the restrooms open. Easy to get in and out. The walk to the stadium was a breeze. I agree also with every poster that has commented on seat size. You are going to be uncomfortable, no matter where you sit. The capacity is what it is because they cram as many people as can possibly be stacked on top of each other in there. The concourses are tiny and forget going to the restroom at halftime.

Reactions: king ward
I’ve been to Tennessee a few times. Never had a bad experience. Love the drive during mid-late October, although I realize it’s earlier this year than usual.

I found a spot on the street in downtown Knoxville. It was a hike to the stadium but didn’t cost me a damn penny. I’m pretty cheap though so I’ll walk to save the dough.

Calhouns is awesome but you’ll probably have a hard time getting in there on game day and getting your food on a noon kickoff. Definitely a place you should visit.

Found a student center near the stadium. Basic generic college food but did take my kid bowling before the game one year. Can’t usually do that a few blocks from the stadium.

Buy tickets at the game. Anyone thinking of going they’re easy to find at the game. 100,000 seats and both teams are down. Seats are super crammed. Hope everyone on your row is skinny. This isn’t an exaggeration.

I enjoyed walking the concourse pregame and just seeing the stadium. There’s a lot of history in that place.

Reactions: caughtlookin
I second parking at the Methodist church, parked there in 2017 and they had the restrooms open. Easy to get in and out. The walk to the stadium was a breeze. I agree also with every poster that has commented on seat size. You are going to be uncomfortable, no matter where you sit. The capacity is what it is because they cram as many people as can possibly be stacked on top of each other in there. The concourses are tiny and forget going to the restroom at halftime.
For a while they were in a competition with Michigan for the largest on campus stadium. To get the edge they would scrape the stickers off and add a seat to each row just to get increased capacity and get the “#1 ranking” back. It added seats without renovating the stadium.

Also explains why you are packed in tight as sardines

Church Street UMC is a great place to park. It is also easy to get into before the game and out of afterwards. A couple of blocks from the campus and a diagonal walk through the campus over to the stadium. Not terrible.
This is rich, the newbies are trying to find gawd in a Baptist or Methodist church! 🤣

I echo a couple of these replies to your post. Calhoun's BBQ on the river is the place to park and yes, get there early. The BBQ is great. Do carryout and tailgate. Been there 3 times and had a great time except after one game they found some poor soul floating face down in the Tennessee River.

I hope you enjoy the "the fist".

I'd take the parking advice above, but they do have shuttle buses. However, the after game waiting to board lines were atrocious.

The place is a dump. If there is an SEC stadium I would avoid, this is it. Everybody talks about Calhouns. Been there many times. Cute place because it is on the river in the shadow of the stadium. Food is decent, but not worth going out of your way or waiting on it. As far as hotels, I'd try to stay west of downtown along 40. Tons of hotels that way and not the long drive one gets out of Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg.

Calhouns is good but hard to get into, we park on the bottom floor of a garage on south main near a hotel and watch the people go by, it's fun and open, was $20 two years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT