ADVERTISEMENT

New Baseball Head Coach

Erik Bakich is a guy worth a look. He has ties to this area and an impressive resume. He played at east carolina,and coached at clemson and vandy as an assistant. He's been a head coach at Maryland and now Michigan. He's young, 39, and has improved his team's record consistently every year

I wouldn't go quite that far. There's 11 schools with more CWS appearances than us and 8 with more championships. We're an elite program no doubt, just not head and shoulders above everyone else like that

Yeah, I would have to agree with this. There is no team in college baseball that is close to what Alabama is doing in football. South Carolina has had a good 3 year run with 2 NC 's and a great run under Tanner that elevated the program to elite status, but there are several teams that are currently working their way into elite status as well. South Carolina is an outstanding job, but not Alabama level...

Last edited:
Ok....insert somewhat more recently successful football program for Bama, but I still believe we are an upward move for nearly any D-1 college baseball coach in the nation, including several whose teams are still playing. That was really the point of my post.

Tim Corbin of Vandy's first gig was Presbyterian in 1988 to 1993, then was at Clemson 1994-2002, he is 55, thats 14-15 years working in the state of SC, 55 is not to old to me.

Won it all in 2014 with Vandy, at Clemson during their best years

Just beat Clemson at Clemson, and Vandy is well Vandy, cant pay that well, should not have a big buyout, like Sullivan of UF?

Thoughts on him?

Last edited:
Tim Corbin of Vandy's first gig was Presbyterian in 1988 to 1993, then was at Clemson 1994-2002, he is 55, thats 14-15 years working in the state of SC, 55 is not to old to me.

Won it all in 2014 with Vandy

Just beat Clemson at Clemson, and Vandy is well Vandy, cant pay that well, should not have a big buyout, like Sullivan of UF?

Thoughts on him?
Vandy can pay much better than you think. I believe he is one of the higher paid baseball coaches in the conference....and I would think a pretty big buyout.

Reactions: Gradstudent
Vandy as a private school does not disclose it salaries is all i can find.

So i dont think we really know, please do not rain on my Tim Corbin to SC parade

I do know the man is 55 years old and if he is ever thinking about going somewhere else before his career is done, this is the time!

The one thing about smarty pants schools like Vandy is sometimes coaches get tired of battles with the administration over the higher academic requirements and issues, hopefully Corbin is pissed about something behind the scenes.

Rain-on-my-Parade-animation.gif

So i dont think we really know, please do not rain on my Tim Corbin to SC parade

I do know the man is 55 years old and if he is ever thinking about going somewhere else before his career is done, this is the time!

The one thing about smarty pants schools like Vandy is sometimes coaches get tired of battles with the administration over the higher academic requirements and issues, hopefully Corbin is pissed about something behind the scenes.

I like him also, but don't think we will pay. Only info I've been able to gather is off the Vandy board, they don't seem to be worried. Several say he is paid similar to O'Sullivan. The academics at Vandy is always an issue with coaches, but in baseball their private status also gives them advantages in offering scholarships to players, which seem to overcome the academic issue. Not sure how it works, but it is an advantage.

Reactions: Gradstudent
I like him also, but don't think we will pay. Only info I've been able to gather is off the Vandy board, they don't seem to be worried. Several say he is paid similar to O'Sullivan. The academics at Vandy is always an issue with coaches, but in baseball their private status also gives them advantages in offering scholarships to players, which seem to overcome the academic issue. Not sure how it works, but it is an advantage.
\

Yeah, I can only hope, I also think Corbin has a grudge against Clemson over how they handled the situation with his beloved Jackleg, which is more points for him for me.

Heard his name mentioned on the radio last night. He's originally from the north but loves the state of SC and has many ties here due to his time at Presbyterian and Clemson.

He's not coming here, and it's not even close.

Why would any coach at Florida ever come to SC under current trends? They have one of the most successful and well supported sports programs in the nation.
Our is overall pretty well rounded but not on that level

Idk how they do it exactly but Vandy definitely recruits very well. Every time I look at a list of commitments Vandy has the most high rated players it seems like. Many sign and don't come there but they are a beacon for blue chips like no other. I know it's a great school and all but I don't quite understand it; don't see it in any other sport up there

well supported
By fans or administration? Idk much about admin but I always hear jokes about UF having low fan attendance, small stadium etc. I agree with you that he wouldn't leave there to come here but I don't think they're exactly known for fan support with baseball

Educate me a little...I follow baseball pretty surface level when it comes to college as a whole.
I know Coastal has a great program and a coach that has been there forever. Is he just an assumed "lifer" there and would he not be someone we'd be interested in?
I haven't seen his name any so I'm assuming it's maybe something everyone else already knows
He int walked Rohlmann to load em up and pitched to Beer - gslam. No thanks.

Idk how they do it exactly but Vandy definitely recruits very well. Every time I look at a list of commitments Vandy has the most high rated players it seems like. Many sign and don't come there but they are a beacon for blue chips like no other. I know it's a great school and all but I don't quite understand it; don't see it in any other sport up there

Because Nashville is an awesome city. Vanderbilt is a prestigious degree. Good facility. Winning recent tradition. They have a lot to sell.

Why would any coach at Florida ever come to SC under current trends? They have one of the most successful and well supported sports programs in the nation.
Our is overall pretty well rounded but not on that level

The 100 or so Gator fans at their home regional were playing on the phones in the 9th inning.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
Vandy has a workaround for the scholarship limitations. Some kind of endowment deal.

Vandy has a workaround for the scholarship limitations. Some kind of endowment deal.
Was wondering about that. I know they're a private school but surely they'd be beholden to the 11.7 schollies rule like everyone else if they compete in the NCAA? And if they're able to do something different in baseball, why not other sports? If private schools get different recruiting rules I'd assume Bama would turn private tomorrow

Was wondering about that. I know they're a private school but surely they'd be beholden to the 11.7 schollies rule like everyone else if they compete in the NCAA? And if they're able to do something different in baseball, why not other sports? If private schools get different recruiting rules I'd assume Bama would turn private tomorrow
I heard about this a few months ago but don't remember the details. Maybe the scholarships are tied to academics and not many football and basketball recruits qualify.

Reactions: coolcock2001
We are the Alabama of college baseball. I believe we can and will lure a proven, successful coach from a successful program because there are very few places that a coach could come from that would even be considered lateral.
We're in the upper echelon, but we're not Alabama of baseball. LSU and Texas probably have more history. Heck Oregon State is right up there in the last 10 years. There are certain "big name" coaches who might be happy to stay where they are. The guy at TCU is great, gets to the CWS a lot, they're building a new facility and he has everything he wants... plus there probably isn't the pressure for him to be in the CWS every year, so why would someone like that want to leave?
Not sure what we'll pay, but here only a handful making 1 million+ ... I think Florida's coach is one of the highest paid.
This is definitely a desirable job, but it's not the one everyone wants.

I'd like to see us get a proven winner... one that's already proven his metal as a head coach. I like Holliday. With the right tools, I believe he could coach circles around other guys.
If we were to go after a current asst. to become the next head coach, I'd hope it be a pitching coach. They tend to know swings better than anyone and are more conscious about adjusting defenses for a certain pitch. My 2 cents.
Mettle, not metal.

Other sports are allowed full allotment of scholarships, baseball is the only sport that is limited.

Not sure how it ties to coach's salary, but if you want to see something interesting find a listing of SEC schools endowment funds. Vandy is several times any other SEC schools.

Vandy is loaded on the endowment side. Almost every player is on a 98% scholarship which is why they can have such great talent at a school that charges $50,000+ a year in tuition.

Reactions: rogue cock
By fans or administration? Idk much about admin but I always hear jokes about UF having low fan attendance, small stadium etc. I agree with you that he wouldn't leave there to come here but I don't think they're exactly known for fan support with baseball

UF was 6th in the SEC and 13th in the nation in attendance last year. The stadium is fairly small but Foley committed to a major renovation before he left last fall. I think O'Sullivan makes around $1.4 MM per year which was also renegotiated last year.

Reactions: coolcock2001
It kills me that people on boards say things like he will never leave that school for s.carolina....folks there are more reasons a coach leaves other than pay and stadium. how do you know they like living there? they all have plenty of money so that is not always determining factor. how many thought spurrier would come here?

UF was 6th in the SEC and 13th in the nation in attendance last year. The stadium is fairly small but Foley committed to a major renovation before he left last fall. I think O'Sullivan makes around $1.4 MM per year which was also renegotiated last year.

Unless they put ac in the stadium for fans, the attendance down there will always be a problem at this time of year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT