ADVERTISEMENT

New York Times vs Clemson

In all honesty, with daily infection count increasing (it did today per the Gov's media get together) not only here in SC, but a lot of other states as-well, I'll find it amazing if we even have a semi-normal football season here in 2020!!

JMHOFWIW, but we'll see what we'll see!!

Oh, and that article implies that big schools that profit from some sports like football and BBall can more likely afford to keep testing their individual players where smaller minority schools cant. Hence, Morehouse College in Atlanta has already canceled their 2020 football sched.

I think this is a clear indicator of what is most important in todays society and that is sports. When these big schools keep things going even though a third of the team is infected with a virus, then what really is the priority? Just this last weekend my family and I went out to take a walk around the trails at Crooked Creek Park in Chapin and we could not find a place to park anywhere out there hardly. There were both soccer and softball tournaments going on and people were packed on the sidelines like sardines. I know it is less likely to spread outdoors as indoors but as many people and as close as they all were out there, it is no wonder the numbers are skyrocketing right now. I, for one, wonder why so many people are willing to travel and stay in hotels and eat out every weekend all in the name of sports. is it really worth it right now? We dont want adults playing anything and many other high schools have stopped things for now, but yet we want all of our children playing all day every weekend. I love sports as much as the next guy but it has gotten out of hand and is way to important to people. Priorities are out of whack right now.

There's an article behind the pay wall on The State's web page that seems to say no college or high school football this fall. All I could see is a summary on Google News.

Anyone with access care to share it with us?

It also killed an estimated 50 million people worldwide.

You do realize that the advances in medicine over the last 100 years is a probably a good reason why that will NEVER happen with this virus?

There's an article behind the pay wall on The State's web page that seems to say no college or high school football this fall. All I could see is a summary on Google News.

Download the GoGamecocks app and you can read the article

NYT is the premier print fake news source in the nation. It has been this way since NYT reporter Walter Duranty gave favorable news coverage to mass murderer Joseph Stalin and covered up Stalin's genocidal ethnic cleansing, while being wined and dined for many years, by the communist thug.

The NYTimes is supporting the de-legitimization of Mt. Rushmore, and the US rioters and looters.

However, the NYTimes newspaper building stands upon land stolen from an Indian tribe. They need to vacate their building immediately and give it back to the indians, profess their unfair white privilege on their knees, and find new office site.

Last edited:
Just play the games... It didn't stop people in 1918 to live their lives...
My great uncle died in the 1918 epidemic, he caught in NYC when he came back from WWI. The town he was from in Indiana blockaded all roads into the town and had armed checkpoints that turned everyone away. They took their social distancing and shelter in place seriously..... amazingly nobody in the town got ill. Imagine that

In all honesty, with daily infection count increasing (it did today per the Gov's media get together) not only here in SC, but a lot of other states as-well, I'll find it amazing if we even have a semi-normal football season here in 2020!!

JMHOFWIW, but we'll see what we'll see!!

Oh, and that article implies that big schools that profit from some sports like football and BBall can more likely afford to keep testing their individual players where smaller minority schools cant. Hence, Morehouse College in Atlanta has already canceled their 2020 football sched.

Just had a conversation with my doctor about this very subject. Cases are on the rise but the death rate is dropping like a rock. Why? Could it be we are simply testing more people? The last thing he said to me, after I asked when will it end; he said it would all be over on Nov. 4.

My great uncle died in the 1918 epidemic, he caught in NYC when he came back from WWI. The town he was from in Indiana blockaded all roads into the town and had armed checkpoints that turned everyone away. They took their social distancing and shelter in place seriously..... amazingly nobody in the town got ill. Imagine that

My uncle's father, also my great uncle, died in the 1918 flu epidemic. He had just gotten a job in a textile mill in the vicinity of Winston Salem, and died before he could send for his family. He left my uncle's mom to take care of family alone. Uncle was too young to have remembered him, and the family had a hard time during depression. Uncle was always a demoncrat, and were he alive today would be one still. Passed away in 2016 at age 99.

It's just regurgitating what the Governor said yesterday.

“I will not remove those restrictions. I cannot lift those restrictions, if these numbers continue to rise and the danger persists. I can’t do it. I won’t do it,” McMaster said. “This fall will not be like other falls. We will not be able to have college football. We will not be able to have high school football.”

Reactions: OldWiseCock
I am puzzled by the phrase that it disproportionately affects Blacks. Is the virus that intelligent that it affects one race more than others? Or are there other factors involved such as actions. One of my black neighbors had a gathering for his daughters graduation. There were about a hundred people there all hugging and no one wearing masks. I dropped off the young ladys graduation gift and left. There has to be some reason that causes the numbers to be higher among Blacks.

I am puzzled by the phrase that it disproportionately affects Blacks. Is the virus that intelligent that it affects one race more than others? Or are there other factors involved such as actions. One of my black neighbors had a gathering for his daughters graduation. There were about a hundred people there all hugging and no one wearing masks. I dropped off the young ladys graduation gift and left. There has to be some reason that causes the numbers to be higher among Blacks.
The numbers in my county are about 50-50. Does anyone know if they have numbers for all counties?

Just had a conversation with my doctor about this very subject. Cases are on the rise but the death rate is dropping like a rock. Why? Could it be we are simply testing more people? The last thing he said to me, after I asked when will it end; he said it would all be over on Nov. 4.

Three potential factors leading to the rise in cases.

1. More testing, more detections
2. Reopenings. Naturally, there is a higher probability of human contact and human transmission.
3. Less inclination to social distance and wear masks.

Please distance and wear masks!!!!

Good news.

1. Death rates are dropping.
2. Treatments are becoming more effective. Dexamethasone quite effective, Very cheap drug. Wonder if it will get prescribed in the US. Remdesivir also, but expensive. And HCQ is also proving useful (if the politics can be removed). HCQ is also too cheap ($60) to become a favorite of pharma.
3. Viruses tend to mutate themselves out, become less lethal with time.

BTW, those PCR tests can be unreliable. Check with your physician. Can give false positives. In lay terms the tests might not be able to distinguish between dead and live viruses. Talk with your physician. I just think the 4th of July events, if we are being prudent, should be avoided.

Last edited:
It's just regurgitating what the Governor said yesterday.

“I will not remove those restrictions. I cannot lift those restrictions, if these numbers continue to rise and the danger persists. I can’t do it. I won’t do it,” McMaster said. “This fall will not be like other falls. We will not be able to have college football. We will not be able to have high school football.”
I took the Governor to mean fans in the stands. There's no prohibition of the players participating in the games. We just may have empty stadiums. Games on TV is better than no games at all. That's what MLB is doing and I think so far NASCAR has handled it that way, too.

It affects blacks disproportionately for numerous reasons. They are more likely to work in industries that are at higher risk, such as service industries. They are more likely to live in multi-family housing. As a group, they are more likely to more underlying health issues, and they are more likely to have more serious outcomes because of this and because they are less likely to seek medical care.

Nonsense. First of all, the info on death rates is wrong, so there’s that. Second, you’re flat-out lying about a physician telling you the virus is politically related.

Nonsense. First of all, the info on death rates is wrong, so there’s that. Second, you’re flat-out lying about a physician telling you the virus is politically related.

You might want to retract. Physicians do talk of politics and the Covid.

I find it interesting that Taterville has only 6% black enrollment while we have 30%. It must be that the only black kids who go there are there to play sports?

I think this is a clear indicator of what is most important in todays society and that is sports. When these big schools keep things going even though a third of the team is infected with a virus, then what really is the priority? Just this last weekend my family and I went out to take a walk around the trails at Crooked Creek Park in Chapin and we could not find a place to park anywhere out there hardly. There were both soccer and softball tournaments going on and people were packed on the sidelines like sardines. I know it is less likely to spread outdoors as indoors but as many people and as close as they all were out there, it is no wonder the numbers are skyrocketing right now. I, for one, wonder why so many people are willing to travel and stay in hotels and eat out every weekend all in the name of sports. is it really worth it right now? We dont want adults playing anything and many other high schools have stopped things for now, but yet we want all of our children playing all day every weekend. I love sports as much as the next guy but it has gotten out of hand and is way to important to people. Priorities are out of whack right now.
You don't think children should go back to school? JA.

You don't think children should go back to school? JA.
I would prefer mine not go back at this moment. Schools are at least taking all things under consideration with restarting and a lot of parents want kids to go back from those I have talked to. Sports is something different because it is not NECESSARY, especially right now. This is just people getting out no matter the consequences . However my wife had a coworker in mid 40’s die from the virus with no under lying conditions so it means something entirely different when you are close to that situation as opposed to just seeing numbers. We forget the numbers are actually people and we need to respect those affected.

I would prefer mine not go back at this moment. Schools are at least taking all things under consideration with restarting and a lot of parents want kids to go back from those I have talked to. Sports is something different because it is not NECESSARY, especially right now. This is just people getting out no matter the consequences . However my wife had a coworker in mid 40’s die from the virus with no under lying conditions so it means something entirely different when you are close to that situation as opposed to just seeing numbers. We forget the numbers are actually people and we need to respect those affected.
I respect that.... We still have 2 months before the season starts. A lot can happen in 2 months.

Journalists are the new burger-flippers, and that is NOT a knock on burger-flipping, which is an actual job.

Reactions: vacock#
Couldn't read the article because they want you to sign up. However, based upon the OP's topic of NYT vs Clemson, for the first time in my life I'm on Clemmy's side. The NYT has zero credibility with me and that's my own personal opinion so no use trying to change it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT