ADVERTISEMENT

No NFL for me this year. Guess I will just have to watch highlights to see how my Gamecocks in the

Enjoy your life making yourself suffer. Money has always been the end point for entertainment (sports).

Quote: Are you NOT entertained?

As for me, I can hardly wait until the pros kick it off.

No, the NFL is not entertaining to me. Player effort and loyalty aside, the game itself is much less interesting than college due to the extreme parity in the league. It is great that the players are all good, but it kind of sucks when nobody REALLY stands out. That is what makes the NFL extremely boring to me. Like I have said, to each his own. I LOVE college football, but only watch the NFL if I have nothing else to do or watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: cockofdawn
People are so pleased with themselves for not watching the NFL, I don’t get why they like telling people about their boycott. Its like people that “cut the cord” or drive a Prius, the get so smug.
To me it's the same with posters who love to get on here and tell for the 100th time that they aren't going to our USC games anymore and seem to delight when attendance is down. Just stay home or in this instance don't watch or follow the nfl. I don't need to know it. Meantime I plan to enjoy another season of both USC and the NFL.

Reactions: VirgilCaine
I think it was wrong and he left. If we had a coach that was doing that I would want him gone or I wouldn't watch SC football either.

I don't care if people watch the NFL or not. Just saying, you are kidding yourself if you think those guys making all that guaranteed money give two craps if they win or lose or what team they play for. Of course they act like they care, but the reality is that after a loss they get in their Lambo's, drive back to their mansions and all is ok.

So your opinion, all professional athletes that have guaranteed contracts could care less if they win or lose...
...........pleeeease ..That thinking by you is silly, .give me a break.

Haven't watched an NFL game or spent a penny on NFL stuff for two years now :) That's how it's done. One fan at a time deciding to put principles over entertainment.

Really. So what exactly is NFL stuff?? Is it just the team merchandise/ tix or does it include the products that major sponsors of the NFL sell. Also are you boycotting companies (pretty much every company) that advertises during the games??? Hmmm

Also dont shop at Home Depot, Arthur Blank the Falcons owner will be cashing in Laughing

Reactions: bosoxcock
Really. So what exactly is NFL stuff?? Is it just the team merchandise/ tix or does it include the products that major sponsors of the NFL sell. Also are you boycotting companies (pretty much every company) that advertises during the games??? Hmmm

Also dont shop at Home Depot, Arthur Blank the Falcons owner will be cashing in Laughing

shush....you're spoiling it for them..

Reactions: NC Garnet & Black
So your opinion, all professional athletes that have guaranteed contracts could care less if they win or lose...
...........pleeeease ..That thinking by you is silly, .give me a break.

They want to win, sure. Do you honestly believe they are willing to give it their all to do so given an exorbitant guaranteed contract? If you do, then you fail to understand human nature. Heck some don't even give it their all in college when they have everything to gain(NFL money) and nothing to lose.

Not a huge NFL fan and I happen to think the national anthem is an inappropriate time and place for a racial justice protest. That said, I would never boycott an entire league or sport based on the actions of a few, or the actions of an apparel company. If Under Armour does something we don't like are you gonna boycott the Gamecocks?

Likewise, I'm not going to boycott every movie that features some Hollywood liberal or refuse to eat a Chic-Fil-A sandwich just because my opinion on gay marriage differs from their owner.

We need to lighten the hell up and not turn everything into an issue that bitterly divides us.
As a veteran I can tell you anyone who dishonors our current or past veterans I will not support. That includes my beloved Gamecocks if they were to be crazy enough to do that. Some lines you don’t cross.

Reactions: cocky4
Yeah the NFL is in trouble....

Aaron Rodgers just signed for 130 Million
Khalil Mack just signed for 125 Millon
Aaron Donald just signed for 124 Million
Chargers and Raiders are building the two most expensive stadiums in league history .

Just an interesting Observation

You realize those are expenses. not income for the NFL right? Based on TV contracts that have been in existence for more than two years. The question will be what happens with TV contracts in the future. Are there enough psycocks suddenly avoiding NFL games to matter?

They want to win, sure. Do you honestly believe they are willing to give it their all to do so given an exorbitant guaranteed contract? If you do, then you fail to understand human nature. Heck some don't even give it their all in college when they have everything to gain(NFL money) and nothing to lose.

i understand highly trained and skilled athletes in ANY professional sport who because of these unique skills that only a few on earth have ... they WANT to win and to quote you" give it their all"

Reactions: NC Garnet & Black

I think maybe you don’t understand human nature if you think they don’t give it their all.

Reactions: bosoxcock
I don't expect a die hard fan of an NFL team to give up on the league because of Nike, kneeling, or any other controversy. But for light-casual fans like me, I don't need a really compelling reason to do something other than watch NFL football on Sundays. I'm looking forward to an epic hunting season and ski season, both of which can be done on Sundays.

BTW, for those of you who do still watch the NFL, I'll still be your friend.

I'm trying to remember who insulted POWS, who insulted the mother of a veteran who lost his life serving our country, who dodged the draft and compared his sex life in the 1970s to serving in combat Vietnam. To me those things insult veterans far more and piss me off. It seems like a few weren't bothered a bit by this or even cheered it on

I'm trying to remember who insulted POWS, who insulted the mother of a veteran who lost his life serving our country, who dodged the draft and compared his sex life in the 1970s to serving in combat Vietnam. To me those things insult veterans far more and piss me off. It seems like a few weren't bothered a bit by this or even cheered it on

You mean Songbird whos N. Vietnamese propaganda tapes echoed through the jungles as he was fed good and given special treatment for cooperating? Or the wife and Congresswoman who conspired to make a phone call from the POTUS a political attack....yeah those special people. Last but not least....you obviously did not live in the 70's.

Life’s too short to keep tabs on everything that offends you. Just remember, for every 15-20 people kneeling you’ll see thousands of fans and players standing. Why not support them instead. Do what you want though. I’m watching football.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Well neither the Falcons nor Eagles kneeled so what are you protesting? by the way if you boycott the NFL and Nike you should also boycott 90% of brands like Pepsi,coke and Facebook cause they are big time liberal companies, I am a huge Trump supporter but also know people has different opinions then me.

I think maybe you don’t understand human nature if you think they don’t give it their all.

You are confused, but it doesn't matter to me. Those who like the NFL are going to defend it no matter what, just as I would do for college football, that is, until we start (legally) paying college players and the pay starts spiraling out of control and players start going to the school that pays the most. That is when I drop college football as well and find something more productive to do with my weekends in the fall.

Last edited:
Why he had bone spurs but uh, was able to play college sports. Rich daddies help with these kind of things. He did say he deserved a medal during the vietnam era for not getting an std. Google the Howard Stern show and you can hear it for yourself and that ain't fake news.

nike is trying to cause a diversion while they are making their shoes in slave style Sweat Shops... I left Nike long ago, but this just helps me stay away from them.
You do understand that unless you are wearing suits from Saville Row, most of your clothing and shoes are made the same way Nike makes theirs.

Reactions: aj&uscgrad
As a veteran I can tell you anyone who dishonors our current or past veterans I will not support. That includes my beloved Gamecocks if they were to be crazy enough to do that. Some lines you don’t cross.

uscgrad1991: What do you think about the poster above in this thread referring to John McCain as a "Songbird" and also denigrating a Gold Star family?

What if one veteran is offended and another is not? If someone offends only one veteran, but not a vast majority of others, do you not support that person?

Does/did it dishonor veterans to dodge the draft or get special non-combat positions in the national guard because of your family's status? Is it offensive to disparage a man who spent years on the Hanoi Hilton as not a hero? Is it offensive to disparage a guy who earned 3 bronze stars in the Navy by later saying he didn't deserve them?

Reactions: aj&uscgrad
NFL posted record earnings last year.
And with the billions getting ready to flow in with their connection with legalized gambling that's only gonna go up.
In-person attendance remained steady.
TV ratings dropped, but that as much due to dilution of the product, ie sheer number of games, as anything.
Polls have shown the majority of those "boycotting" the NFL didn't watch that much NFL to begin with, and the vast majority weren't ticket holder/buyers.

Whole boycott-the-NFL thing is the quintessential definition of much ado about nothing.
In-person attendance numbers are very misleading as they report only tickets sold, not actual butts-in-seats and most anecdotal evidence would suggest that actual attendance is in decline. For example, every Atlanta Falcons game is technically a sellout. They don't even sell individual game tickets because the entire stadium is claimed by season ticket holders. That said, you can find at least 20,000 empty seats at most games due to all the no-shows. I don't think it's the anthem protests that are causing this however. I think it's the huge number of corporate seats that go unusued each week. With PSLs and high ticket prices, a ton of the tickets in the lower bowl are purchased with corporate money, but many weeks, no one actually goes to the game.

Meanwhile, college football attendance is WAY down. Check this out...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-footballs-growing-problem-empty-seats-1535634001

I've never been a huge NFL fan; it's just not as exciting. However, it's football, and they're the best. It gets everyone excited about something especially in places without college teams.

I think the demonstrations could be communicated better. Both "sides" make a lot of assumptions without trying to change or have a discussion.

I also find it interesting people are now in the national anthem watch group. My favorite part was when people were pissed off and taking pictures of players kneeling - during the national anthem.

Last edited:
What if one veteran is offended and another is not? If someone offends only one veteran, but not a vast majority of others, do you not support that person?

Does/did it dishonor veterans to dodge the draft or get special non-combat positions in the national guard because of your family's status? Is it offensive to disparage a man who spent years on the Hanoi Hilton as not a hero? Is it offensive to disparage a guy who earned 3 bronze stars in the Navy by later saying he didn't deserve them?
I think we know what the vast majority of vets think, but each vet has his own right to do as he wants. I was speaking of myself.

Last edited:
The ratings for the opening NFL were 16 to 17% below last year's opener. The NFL once again blames the low ratings on the rain delay. Yeah, right.

Also, I read that the actual level of play between ATL and PHI was horrible.

I love it.

For anyone boycotting the NFL and now Nike make sure you also boycott all the partners that pay the league money. Good luck with that!

I have provided you a list for your convenience

https://www.nflpa.com/players/partners-sponsors

I don't own any Nike items won't buy any and no one could literally give me any. As far as the SEC is concerned I had rather do without the money, even if it hurts USC. The love of my country comes first. The NFL players can say all they want about kneeling is not about disrespecting the vets but that's a lie. You can't disrespect the flag without disrespecting our vets - they are one and the same.

pros do. Oh well - I do that for baseball too, but not for the same reason. Guess this thread will be deleted if I make a disparaging remark about Nike, do I won`t do it.
I love the way people are not doing things they enjoy doing because a handful of people did something they don't like. That's really cool.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT