ADVERTISEMENT

No TV for Saturday

Actually, the Charleston bid was higher but they decided to keep it in Greenville.
Yes, but Greenville was chosen as the location so, technically, it "won". :D

Honestly, I wasn't impressed with what Charleston did when they hosted it. But we've talked about that before. Greenville puts on a pretty decent party. Granted, it's not a PLT Party, but it's fun for those who don't go to the game. Charleston is limited because The Joe is located away from the restaurants/nightlife and can't really offer much to the casual fan who doesn't necessarily want to go to the game, unlike what is around the ballpark in Greenville. I fear that could hinder the Fireflies too, if they were to bid on it.

Reactions: hartin
With all respect... I don't think the FF need practice for a "big game" They do a much better job with 70 games a year than any college.... most with bigger crowds. It's a much nicer facility and playing surface plus....its just better baseball too.
1. Fireflies drew well their first 2 years with the novelty and Tebow factors...will that continue? Time will tell. I hope it does for the record but I don't know if we can herald them as consistently drawing bigger crowds than any college.
2. Is it a nicer playing surface? I honestly don't know.
3. It's "better baseball" I guess because every guy on the field is a professional but it's definitely not better baseball in terms of watchability...the team is not competing for anything! It's a spot for guys to hang out and try to get called up. How is that better baseball than watching Carolina try to make it to Omaha? (On the last point I realize I'm being a bit biased/homer but that's how it seems to me)

1. Fireflies drew well their first 2 years with the novelty and Tebow factors...will that continue? Time will tell. I hope it does for the record but I don't know if we can herald them as consistently drawing bigger crowds than any college.
3. It's "better baseball" I guess because every guy on the field is a professional but it's definitely not better baseball in terms of watchability...the team is not competing for anything! It's a spot for guys to hang out and try to get called up. How is that better baseball than watching Carolina try to make it to Omaha? (On the last point I realize I'm being a bit biased/homer but that's how it seems to me)

It will continue to do well because Columbia is transitioning into more than just a college town. Young professionals (25-35 age group) have flooded the city and these games are another form of entertainment/networking event. Until Carolina serves beer at the baseball games, the Fireflies will remain the show in town.

I don't need a lecture on the reasons that they do not/will not serve beer at games either, by the way. Plenty of colleges do, and until Carolina gets on board, baseball attendance will play second fiddle to the Fireflies.

This is my take without my garnet glasses on.

USCBatgirl21Well-Known Member
New

Actually, the Charleston bid was higher but they decided to keep it in Greenville.

Honestly, I wasn't impressed with what Charleston did when they hosted it. But we've talked about that before. Greenville puts on a pretty decent party. Granted, it's not a PLT Party, but it's fun for those who don't go to the game. Charleston is limited because The Joe is located away from the restaurants/nightlife and can't really offer much to the casual fan who doesn't necessarily want to go to thegame, unlike what is around the ballparkin Greenville. I fear that could hinder the Fireflies too, if they were to bid on it.

Charleston is limited? That’s news to the rest of the World. According to the travel magazines, it’s the #1 or 2 (depending on the year) tourist destination in the World...for the past 8 years. Number 2 Food City in the Country (Some of the best Restaurants in the Country).

This isn’t about Charleston...It’s about other parts of the State, having a chance to witness the rivalry in person. Greenville, Charleston, Myrtle Beach...Maybe North Augusta.

“Greenville won the bid”...better known as...”JackLeg didn’t want to go anywhere else”.

New

Honestly, I wasn't impressed with what Charleston did when they hosted it. But we've talked about that before. Greenville puts on a pretty decent party. Granted, it's not a PLT Party, but it's fun for those who don't go to the game. Charleston is limited because The Joe is located away from the restaurants/nightlife and can't really offer much to the casual fan who doesn't necessarily want to go to thegame, unlike what is around the ballparkin Greenville. I fear that could hinder the Fireflies too, if they were to bid on it.

Charleston is limited? That’s news to the rest of the World. According to the travel magazines, it’s the #1 or 2 (depending on the year) tourist destination in the World...for the past 8 years. Number 2 Food City in the Country (Some of the best Restaurants in the Country).

This isn’t about Charleston...It’s about other parts of the State, having a chance to witness the rivalry in person. Greenville, Charleston, Myrtle Beach...Maybe North Augusta.

“Greenville won the bid”...better known as...”JackLeg didn’t want to go anywhere else”.

Obviously you didn't read because I clearly state that the location of The Joe limits the Charleston experience because it is not near any of the restaurants/nightlife for the casual fan. Games like this attract the casual fan as much as the regular baseball fan, and must be taken into consideration when planning such an event. I highlighted it for you above, so you won't miss it again. And having lived in Charleston I'm quite aware of all that Charleston has to offer, so I don't need a primer from you.

And yes, many of us has spoken about it going to other parts of the state in this very thread. Just curious, what will your excuse be if Greenville gets it again, now that Jack is gone.

Good day sir.

Last edited:
Clemron & UGA have a game scheduled there this year.
Instead of us playing the Dawgs again, how about playing Georgia Tech there?

Dawgs and Tech play three midweek games against each other each season: one game in Athens, one at Russ Chandler Stadium on the Tech campus, and one at SunTrust Park as a fundraiser for Children's Healthcare of Atlanta,

Renew the old Metro rivalry. Certainly intriguing.

Renew the old Metro rivalry. Certainly intriguing.
Except that Tech left the Metro before we joined.
Selfishly, I'd really like to see USC play Tech in Atlanta. Russ Chandler Stadium is but a 15-20 minute drive from my house.

On opening weekend, Ga Tech, Ga State, and Kennesaw State invite three out-of-town teams/schools for a weekend. The out of town schools play against each Atlanta-area opponent once on each school's home field. Wouldn't mind seeing USC attend this once.

Except that Tech left the Metro before we joined.
Selfishly, I'd really like to see USC play Tech in Atlanta. Russ Chandler Stadium is but a 15-20 minute drive from my house.

On opening weekend, Ga Tech, Ga State, and Kennesaw State invite three out-of-town teams/schools for a weekend. The out of town schools play against each Atlanta-area opponent once on each school's home field. Wouldn't mind seeing USC attend this once.
Reminds me of the tournament in Charleston that Citadel used to host and we went to a few years. But February on the Ashley is COLD!!!!!

New

New

Obviously you didn't read because I clearly state that the location of The Joe limits the Charleston experience because it is not near any of therestaurants/nightlife for the casual fan. Games like this attract the casual fan as much as the regular baseball fan, andmust be taken into consideration when planning such an event. I highlighted it for you above, so you won't miss it again. And having lived in Charleston I'm quite aware of all that Charleston has to offer, so I don't need a primer from you.

And yes, many of us has spoken about it going to other parts of the state in this very thread. Just curious, what will your excuse be if Greenville gets it again, now that Jack is gone.

Good day sir.

Obviously...YOU didn’t read. I listed Greenville, when I listed a possible rotation. So, you’re telling me that nobody drives to the ballpark in Greenville? Reilly Park is not that far from Downtown. I see Citadel Cadets that have walked to King and Calhoun every day. As far as Greenville winning the bid again...Maybe they had the highest bid. Maybe it has just become political. I know for a fact...Leggett didn’t want to come to Charleston, because it’s a 4 hour trip.

And yes, many of us has spoken about it going to otherparts of the state in this very thread. Just curious, what will your excuse be if Greenville gets it again, now that Jack is gone.

You haven’t spoken about S#*t. You’ve been nothing but a cheerleader for the game in Greenville...with your additional lie. You claimed that won the bid. They were handpicked...They didn’t win a true bid. I doubt your casual fan comment too.

Btw...You know nothing about Charleston compared to me. I’m a lifelong resident. You were the one claiming Charleston has “limitations”. Greenville has a lot more limitations, compared to Charleston. A better experience...that’s laughable!

New

New

Obviously you didn't read because I clearly state that the location of The Joe limits the Charleston experience because it is not near any of therestaurants/nightlife for the casual fan. Games like this attract the casual fan as much as the regular baseball fan, andmust be taken into consideration when planning such an event. I highlighted it for you above, so you won't miss it again. And having lived in Charleston I'm quite aware of all that Charleston has to offer, so I don't need a primer from you.

Good day sir.

Obviously...YOU didn’t read. I listed Greenville, when I listed a possible rotation. So, you’re telling me that nobody drives to the ballpark in Greenville? Reilly Park is not that far from Downtown. I see Citadel Cadets that have walked to King and Calhoun every day. As far as Greenville winning the bid again...Maybe they had the highest bid. Maybe it has just become political. I know for a fact...Leggett didn’t want to come to Charleston, because it’s a 4 hour trip.

I think it's quite evident who isn't actually reading, or should I say comprehending, full replies.

Again, good day sir.

Last edited:
And yes, many of us has spoken about it going to otherparts of the state in this very thread. Just curious, what will your excuse be if Greenville gets it again, now that Jack is gone.

You haven’t spoken about S#*t. You’ve been nothing but a cheerleader for the game in Greenville...with your additional lie. You claimed that won the bid. They were handpicked...They didn’t win a true bid. I doubt your casual fan comment too.

Btw...You know nothing about Charleston compared to me. I’m a lifelong resident. You were the one claiming Charleston has “limitations”. Greenville has a lot more limitations, compared to Charleston. A better experience...that’s laughable!

Bless your heart!

The talent level at the college level leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not saying that it's not something that people enjoy I'm just saying my son played D1 baseball and it can be pretty sad.

The talent level at the college level leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not saying that it's not something that people enjoy I'm just saying my son played D1 baseball and it can be pretty sad.
I guess we all remember what stands out to us and forget what doesn't but I've seen David Price play, Pedro Alvarez, Smoak, Bradley, etc etc big league players. I've never sat there and thought man these guys suck.

Ps what about my question about playing surface? The one at Founders looks pretty damn good to me. Is it really subpar to the Fireflies field?

FYI. I spoke to the Greenville Drive and they have no plans to stream the baseball game on Saturday. I feel like in this day and age, one of the requirements to host the neutral sight game would be to provide streaming of a game of this magnitude. I know in the past their broadcasts are of poor qualty but to me poor quality in better than no video at all.
As a True Gamecock & New York Yankee fan for over 50 years..i am already sick of lil fenway!.will all due respects to JBJ I sure wish he would get traded...piss on Greenville and lil fenway..

I declare Batgirl winner of this thread
Awww...you're sweet Cool. For some reason anything I post is like nails on a chalkboard for that guy, regardless if others say the exact same thing I do.

Wrong...I don’t give a damn what you post about...and never involve myself in anything you’re posting about. It’s just this particular issue. You’ve decided that the rest of the state doesn’t deserve to see this rivalry up close. I think that’s BS! I don’t care for people that lie either. These people kissing your ass in this thread, probably live in Greenville or out of State, so it doesn’t matter to them. Hell...It might not matter to lots of fans, but I’m a lifelong Carolina fan, so it does matter to me.

As a True Gamecock & New York Yankee fan for over 50 years..i am already sick of lil fenway!.will all due respects to JBJ I sure wish he would get traded...piss on Greenville and lil fenway..
Now there's a someone who feels my pain having to go to Riverdogs games as a Dodger. Yankees logo everywhere.:p
Of course...at least it wasn't those damn Giants.

I guess we all remember what stands out to us and forget what doesn't but I've seen David Price play, Pedro Alvarez, Smoak, Bradley, etc etc big league players. I've never sat there and thought man these guys suck.

Ps what about my question about playing surface? The one at Founders looks pretty damn good to me. Is it really subpar to the Fireflies field?
Just to think of the guys we've been able to see play because of the SEC.
I'd add Sonny Gray to the list.

Awww...you're sweet Cool. For some reason anything I post is like nails on a chalkboard for that guy, regardless if others say the exact same thing I do.

Wrong...I don’t give a damn what you post about...and never involve myself in anything you’re posting about. It’s just this particular issue. You’ve decided that the rest of the state doesn’t deserve to see this rivalry up close. I think that’s BS! I don’t care for people that lie either. These people kissing your ass in this thread, probably live in Greenville or out of State, so it doesn’t matter to them. Hell...It might not matter to lots of fans, but I’m a lifelong Carolina fan, so it does matter to me.
I don't live in Gville. and, in fact, loathe it. I do know one thing, though........Batgirl has forgotten more about Carolina baseball than you will ever know. She knows more abt our history and the inner-workings of the program than anyone on this forum. Fact. She is also not a liar. Take your beating like a man and go tf away or you will be reduced to a puddle of spittle.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
The way I remember it was Tanner just flat changed his mind when it came to rotating venues. For whatever reason, he no longer wanted to do that with his team after starting it. I can only hope the new coach (having no former ties to Tanner) wants to try something a little different... even if it's just a three game series at home one year and away the next. The rotating around the state thing would have been good but whatever. I must say I'm not a fan of the way it's done now... same said for when we played four games a year.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
Ps what about my question about playing surface? The one at Founders looks pretty damn good to me. Is it really subpar to the Fireflies field?[/QUOTE]

I think so BUT it's been many a year since I played ball but I have heard people who know say so.
I will say that Spirit has at least two people where that field is a 60 hour a week job for both.
They have growth blankets for the winter which allows for no overseeding and a professional turf management company that comes in periodically to make sure its being done right.
Of course they also have Mets money and maybe even some kind of kickback $$$ from crooked mayor Steve but that's a whole other subject.

Last edited:
Combahee CockWell-Known Member
New

I don't live in Gville. and, in fact, loathe it. I do know one thing, though........Batgirl has forgotten more about Carolina baseball than you will ever know. She knows more abt our history and the inner-workings of the program than anyone on this forum. Fact. She is also not a liar. Take your beating like a man and go tf away or you will be reduced to a puddle of spittle.

I don’t care what you think. I post whatever I want in this forum. She lied about the bid. She didn’t know that Charleston had the higher bid, until Gene Sapakoff wrote a column about it later on. She thought that Greenville WON the bid...instead they were just handed the game. Maybe Tanner will get on here and say why the game wasn’t rotated? I stick by what I said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT