ADVERTISEMENT

Not to downplay Coronavirus fears

JDishnell

Oct 23, 2019
It's new and it's spreading slowly but steadily. The estimated real mortality rate is around 1%, when you consider the vast majority of cases go unreported. It's nothing to wink at, for sure.

But it is worth nothing for some perspective that currently 0.00168% of the world's population is reportedly infected.

In the States, that number stands at 0.000428% reportedly infected.

The 1918 flu, at its peak, infected an estimated 1/3 of the world's population. That would be 2.5 billion people. And that was in an era with MUCH less commerce and travel.

As it stands right now (and it's going to change) you have about as much chance being killed by lightning as you do coronavirus.

It probably seems like an overreaction to shut things down the way they have been, but it's necessary if you want to slow the spread. Should we be THAT worried about slowing the spread of a virus that's already spreading slowly as it is? That can be argued. But if we're trying to stop this thing in its tracks, this is how to do it.

It's new and it's spreading slowly but steadily. The estimated real mortality rate is around 1%, when you consider the vast majority of cases go unreported. It's nothing to wink at, for sure.
But it is worth nothing for some perspective that currently 0.00168% of the world's population is reportedly infected.
In the States, that number stands at 0.000428% reportedly infected.
The 1918 flu, at its peak, infected an estimated 1/3 of the world's population. That would be 2.5 billion people. And that was in an era with MUCH less commerce and travel.
As it stands right now (and it's going to change) you have about as much chance being
killed by lightning as you do coronavirus.It probably seems like an overreaction to shut things down the way they have been, but it's necessary if you want to slow the spread. Should we be THAT worried about slowing the spread of a virus that's already spreading slowly as it is? That can be argued. But if we're trying to stop this thing in its tracks, this is how to do it.

Just asking ... Since you obviously have no idea, whatsoever, about what you are posting, would it not be wise to just keep your uneducated opinions to yourself? Again, just asking.

Just asking ... Since you obviously have no idea, whatsoever, about what you are posting, would it not be wise to just keep your uneducated opinions to yourself? Again, just asking.
What did he say that is not true ? When you say uneducated opinions, you mean anybody who isnt watching ms13nbc or cnn freakout every night ?

Please dispute the statements I have labeled as FACT below. Most of what I stated is just statistical data, so I'm not sure what you're considering opinion.

It's new and it's spreading slowly but steadily (FACT). The estimated real mortality rate is around 1%, when you consider the vast majority of cases go unreported (FACT). It's nothing to wink at, for sure (I think FACT but maybe OPINION).

But it is worth nothing for some perspective that currently 0.00168% of the world's population is reportedly infected (FACT...reported worldwide cases divided by world's population).

In the States, that number stands at 0.000428% reportedly infected (FACT...reported US cases divided US population).

The 1918 flu, at its peak, infected an estimated 1/3 of the world's population (FACT). That would be 2.5 billion people today (FACT...1/3 of the current world's population is approximately 2.5 billion). And that was in an era with MUCH less commerce and travel (FACT...commerce and travel happen at much greater speeds and with greater frequency today).

As it stands right now (and it's going to change) you have about as much chance being killed by lightning as you do coronavirus (FACT...49 deaths annually due to lightning strikes. Currently 38 deaths in US due to Coronavirus).

(OPINION) It probably seems like an overreaction to shut things down the way they have been, but it's necessary if you want to slow the spread. Should we be THAT worried about slowing the spread of a virus that's already spreading slowly as it is? That can be argued. But if we're trying to stop this thing in its tracks, this is how to do it.

RIP to the boomers downplaying a 3.4% mortality rate (WHO, March 3). People in Italy acted the same way and look at them now, they’re in absolute chaos right now.

Re: the Italy comparison:
From an acquaintance who relocated there several years ago, and is holed up in their apartment currently, Italy was at least to an extent less prepared than the US.
The US is not as prepared as we should be no doubt, but we have more medical resources (people dying INSIDE hospitals in Italy without being treated), more providers, and more research capability.
We're also more spread out, and that along with things like the travel ban, while not stopping the spread will slow it.
Anything that slows it gives us valuable time to respond.
Could our system get overwhelmed? It's possible.
But is we all follow simple hygiene rules and avoid crowds for a while, again, we can sloooooooow it down.
And I might not bet my house, but I'd bet my truck that 3.4% mortality rate is way off when all is said and done.

When looking at the European experience, why is the Italian model the go-to reference? Why not England, France, Germany or Greece. Italy has for some time had the lowest birthrate of all the Western developed countries. That dictates, among other things, a comparatively aged population. Naturally their mortality experience is going to reflect that.

It probably seems like an overreaction to shut things down the way they have been, but it's necessary if you want to slow the spread. Should we be THAT worried about slowing the spread of a virus that's already spreading slowly as it is? That can be argued. But if we're trying to stop this thing in its tracks, this is how to do it.
You should have started your post off with this. ^

Slowing the spread is paramount if we want to minimize the risk of overloading our healthcare system with critically sick people. The cascading effect of that could be pretty significant.
One hope is the warmer weather will give us time...

When looking at the European experience, why is the Italian model the go-to reference? Why not England, France, Germany or Greece. Italy has for some time had the lowest birthrate of all the Western developed countries. That dictates, among other things, a comparatively aged population. Naturally their mortality experience is going to reflect that.
I think FGF has a comparatively aged population.

But I appreciated the medical insights here on GC Central. Now, I'm going to handle some microphones like the Utah Jazz player and prove this thing is overblown.

I'm going to a little art exhibition for students that my grandfather is involved in. Then it's time to hit some golf balls and go get some groceries. It's a nice day out.

Reactions: Buzzkill1
What is not being talked about is that all this panic is tanking the economy, it's going to cause a spike in suicides and riots if it continues. It's fine to be careful, to be tell people not have human contact, not to visit the grandparents because they are going to do die. That kind of attitude is going too far. Are they going to shut down the French Quarter for Mardis Gras. Are there going to be St. Patrick day parades and events? If you shut ddown sports events you really aren't do that much. People need food from the grocery stores and can easily get sick that way so should we should them down too? Really how far are we going to take this hysteria before we make life unenjoyable?

Reactions: Buzzkill1
What is not being talked about is that all this panic is tanking the economy, it's going to cause a spike in suicides and riots if it continues. It's fine to be careful, to be tell people not have human contact, not to visit the grandparents because they are going to do die. That kind of attitude is going too far. Are they going to shut down the French Quarter for Mardis Gras. Are there going to be St. Patrick day parades and events? If you shut ddown sports events you really aren't do that much. People need food from the grocery stores and can easily get sick that way so should we should them down too? Really how far are we going to take this hysteria before we make life unenjoyable?

There are other ways than war to conquer a nation.

Reactions: bloodyspur
Both Flu and COVID19 are respiratory illnesses so I feel if anyone received the Flu vaccine there might be a good chance they will not get COVID 19.

Wow!!!! My opinion was it was a well thought out post. Am I missing something?
Nope, this was the reaction of someone who is taking a political stance. It is divisive, reactionary and completely irrelevant to the subject at hand. People are not able to formulate their own opinions any more, and news has turned into fluff opinion pieces aligned with a certain political agenda. It is pretty easy to identify someone’s political ideology based off which “personal opinion” they are quoting from whatever news network they favor. Jdish stated his opinion pretty clearly, made some estimates later miss-identified as facts, but beyond that nothing he said was deserving of the over the top attack issued by the person you quoted.

Both Flu and COVID19 are respiratory illnesses so I feel if anyone received the Flu vaccine there might be a good chance they will not get COVID 19.
Trump floated that theory in a meeting with top health experts in the US recently and was quickly made aware that it is 100% fantasy. Flu vaccines work on the flu. Coronavirus is not the same thing as the flu. That is like implying a flu vaccine would protect you from lung cancer because they both “affect the lungs”.

I dont like people who just post a hit and run. That guy should come back on here.
Nope, this was the reaction of someone who is taking a political stance. It is divisive, reactionary and completely irrelevant to the subject at hand. People are not able to formulate their own opinions any more, and news has turned into fluff opinion pieces aligned with a certain political agenda. It is pretty easy to identify someone’s political ideology based off which “personal opinion” they are quoting from whatever news network they favor. Jdish stated his opinion pretty clearly, made some estimates later miss-identified as facts, but beyond that nothing he said was deserving of the over the top attack issued by the person you quoted.
I think you need to re-read my post.. Im asking the person I'm quoting, what was wrong with JDish's post

Lots of people have an aversion to establish fact so you are not so different there. No matter that, when is it not free here to state an opinion even if its not popular in certain circles?

I think you need to re-read my post.. Im asking the person I'm quoting, what was wrong with JDish's post
I know, the description I gave was of the post you quoted, not of your post. I followed your question and said nope you are not mossing anything- I too thought JDish made a well thought out post and the one you quoted was the irrational/ reactionary one. Sorry if that was unclear but I was absolutely agreeing with you.

Trump floated that theory in a meeting with top health experts in the US recently and was quickly made aware that it is 100% fantasy. Flu vaccines work on the flu. Coronavirus is not the same thing as the flu. That is like implying a flu vaccine would protect you from lung cancer because they both “affect the lungs”.
You are saying that I am smart like Trump. I am honored.

giphy.gif

Mardi Gras is over. All the St Patricks Day parades are cancelled as are sporting events. If these inconveniences mitigate the problem, it's a small price to pay.

Lots of people have an aversion to establish fact so you are not so different there. No matter that, when is it not free here to state an opinion even if its not popular in certain circles?

Why are you attempting to communicate with me? Obviously, reading comprehension is not among your talents. I'll paste a copy of my post so you might read it again.

Last edited:
RIP to the boomers downplaying a 3.4% mortality rate (WHO, March 3). People in Italy acted the same way and look at them now, they’re in absolute chaos right now.
Yep,all of the cancellation business is to attempt to avoid the onslaught of critically ill oldsters/compromised health folks,to avoid a repeat here of type patients that are overwhelming Italy’s very good health facilities.Yes,most people with the virus will do well-oldsters,not so much.(posted by a card carrying member of the old fart club)

Reactions: The Cool Cock
One thing is how insulated we’ve become to sickness/death. For much of human history and even still in many countries, it’s just a part of life. We’ve been conditioned to think it’s abnormal, like something bizarre is happening. Our medical advances are an amazing blessing but have given us a distorted view of reality. One minor outbreak with a modest death rate has thrown us into total panic.

Reactions: adversary2
Yes, it's a worldwide conspiracy that starts with cancelling basketball games and ends with us in chains.

Laugh if you like but its actually not that far fetched.
Cripple a nation from within either economically or by social division and it can be taken over with little resistance.
Some conspirators believe the virus was intended to do just that to the US and so far its playing right to script. Economy is slowing because of panic and the government is printing more money to fight the problem thus sending us deeper in debt. Ironically (or is it?) our biggest lender is the very country where the virus originated.
So yes it starts with basketball games but where does it end?

Laugh if you like but its actually not that far fetched.
Cripple a nation from within either economically or by social division and it can be taken over with little resistance.
Some conspirators believe the virus was intended to do just that to the US and so far its playing right to script. Economy is slowing because of panic and the government is printing more money to fight the problem thus sending us deeper in debt. Ironically (or is it?) our biggest lender is the very country where the virus originated.
So yes it starts with basketball games but where does it end?
So, China engineered a virus that was released on their own soil, shutting down their manufacturing, and badly damaging their economy. Then it spread slowly across the world, damaging the global economy before eventually arriving in the US where it is playing out the final act, causing an inflationary spiral (it isn't) that eventually leads to America being overthrown by our biggest bond holder, which is the American public, not China, which isn't close to our biggest creditor.

No. This is a virus. It's part of nature.

Please dispute the statements I have labeled as FACT below. Most of what I stated is just statistical data, so I'm not sure what you're considering opinion.

It's new and it's spreading slowly but steadily (FACT). The estimated real mortality rate is around 1%, when you consider the vast majority of cases go unreported (FACT). It's nothing to wink at, for sure (I think FACT but maybe OPINION).

But it is worth nothing for some perspective that currently 0.00168% of the world's population is reportedly infected (FACT...reported worldwide cases divided by world's population).

In the States, that number stands at 0.000428% reportedly infected (FACT...reported US cases divided US population).

The 1918 flu, at its peak, infected an estimated 1/3 of the world's population (FACT). That would be 2.5 billion people today (FACT...1/3 of the current world's population is approximately 2.5 billion). And that was in an era with MUCH less commerce and travel (FACT...commerce and travel happen at much greater speeds and with greater frequency today).

As it stands right now (and it's going to change) you have about as much chance being killed by lightning as you do coronavirus (FACT...49 deaths annually due to lightning strikes. Currently 38 deaths in US due to Coronavirus).

(OPINION) It probably seems like an overreaction to shut things down the way they have been, but it's necessary if you want to slow the spread. Should we be THAT worried about slowing the spread of a virus that's already spreading slowly as it is? That can be argued. But if we're trying to stop this thing in its tracks, this is how to do it.
Fact: It's spreading rapidly. Less than 3 months from the first known case, there are cases in nearly every country. There aren't enough test kits in the US, so there are many, many more cases than reported as "confirmed".

Reactions: rhinocock72
I know, the description I gave was of the post you quoted, not of your post. I followed your question and said nope you are not mossing anything- I too thought JDish made a well thought out post and the one you quoted was the irrational/ reactionary one. Sorry if that was unclear but I was absolutely agreeing with you.
This

Reactions: howard13
Who is this "we" that you speak of. Come back and post this when you got more friends and family below ground than above.

We = society. That’s pretty clear from the context. Sorry you didn’t get it.b People seem to be shocked that this is even happening. That people are getting sick. That some are dying. That it hasn’t been controlled. This isn’t supposed to happen.

We = society. That’s pretty clear from the context. Sorry you didn’t get it.b People seem to be shocked that this is even happening. That people are getting sick. That some are dying. That it hasn’t been controlled. This isn’t supposed to happen.
"people"....quit making shat up. Maybe it's just you?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT