ADVERTISEMENT

Not to downplay Coronavirus fears

i just have to wonder why there wasnt widespread panic with the swine flu during the previous administration?...i think over 12000 died from that....well, actually i already know why and yall do too

i just have to wonder why there wasnt widespread panic with the swine flu during the previous administration?...i think over 12000 died from that....well, actually i already know why and yall do too
12469 i believe is that number, but no media panic and no stock market crash....hmmm, a smart man can figure this out

What are you talking about? Mardis Gras wasn't cancelled, but it was 3 weeks ago. Yes, virtually all St. Patrick's Day parades have been cancelled (NYC, Boston, Pittsburgh, Chicago, DC, New Orleans, St. Louis, Denver, San Francisco, Atlanta - all cancelled). They're also postponing or cancelling big races like the Boston Marathon.

I agree that the media is fearmongering and its endangering the economy and people's lives. But it is smart to stop major gatherings of people to try to slow down the viruses spread until a vaccine is discovered.
What about Savannah? They have a good one. I suppose they caved also?

Reactions: Expro19
This virus has shown to be more contagious for some reason than anything we have seen in a while. The problem is if we allow the virus to spread naturally our healthcare system would be overwhelmed pretty quickly. We simply don't have the capacity to handle the numbers of very sick people this virus will cause if we allow a natural progression. Add to that our reliance over the past couple of decades to just in time inventory means we don't stockpile healthcare supplies like we used to. This was a time for our country to come together and address this in a rational way. Unfortunately we are just starting to do that. This should be basically over by the end of summer.

It's new and it's spreading slowly but steadily. The estimated real mortality rate is around 1%, when you consider the vast majority of cases go unreported. It's nothing to wink at, for sure.

But it is worth nothing for some perspective that currently 0.00168% of the world's population is reportedly infected.

In the States, that number stands at 0.000428% reportedly infected.

The 1918 flu, at its peak, infected an estimated 1/3 of the world's population. That would be 2.5 billion people. And that was in an era with MUCH less commerce and travel.

As it stands right now (and it's going to change) you have about as much chance being killed by lightning as you do coronavirus.

It probably seems like an overreaction to shut things down the way they have been, but it's necessary if you want to slow the spread. Should we be THAT worried about slowing the spread of a virus that's already spreading slowly as it is? That can be argued. But if we're trying to stop this thing in its tracks, this is how to do it.
I agree, I think there is a lot of over reaction, but schools will be next. But I think the big concern is just to keep the spreading slow so as not to overwhelm the hospitals and treatment centers. It could easily get out of control by spreading in a small area where 1000's of people in close proximity of each other. I think it is just better to err on the side of caution.

I mean, you have seen the news, right? It's ok to stroll outside of FGF from time to time.
The news is just a sensational snapshot. If you want to take that snapshot and create some kind of thesis.....that's called making s__ up.

You're not a expert and being condescending doesn't help your credibility.

I agree, I think there is a lot of over reaction, but schools will be next. But I think the big concern is just to keep the spreading slow so as not to overwhelm the hospitals and treatment centers. It could easily get out of control by spreading in a small area where 1000's of people in close proximity of each other. I think it is just better to err on the side of caution.
Yes, plus efforts to control the spread appear to be helping....at least for now.
The virus needs hosts to survive. It cannot live indefinitely outside of a host.
I'm hoping we see some return to normalcy in the next few months.

It's new and it's spreading slowly but steadily. The estimated real mortality rate is around 1%, when you consider the vast majority of cases go unreported. It's nothing to wink at, for sure.

But it is worth nothing for some perspective that currently 0.00168% of the world's population is reportedly infected.

In the States, that number stands at 0.000428% reportedly infected.

The 1918 flu, at its peak, infected an estimated 1/3 of the world's population. That would be 2.5 billion people. And that was in an era with MUCH less commerce and travel.

As it stands right now (and it's going to change) you have about as much chance being killed by lightning as you do coronavirus.

It probably seems like an overreaction to shut things down the way they have been, but it's necessary if you want to slow the spread. Should we be THAT worried about slowing the spread of a virus that's already spreading slowly as it is? That can be argued. But if we're trying to stop this thing in its tracks, this is how to do it.
This is not an attack.

I do want to ask: If the testing regime has been on such a small number of people how do we know how fast it is spreading and where? I don't think they have tested enough people to do reliable statistical models. I would be very careful putting numbers out there. The governor of Ohio thinks that over 100k people are carrying it and I think they only had tested and confirmed people in the hundreds and that was like a week ago.

Like I said, discussion is good and this is no attack.

This is not an attack.

I do want to ask: If the testing regime has been on such a small number of people how do we know how fast it is spreading and where? I don't think they have tested enough people to do reliable statistical models. I would be very careful putting numbers out there. The governor of Ohio thinks that over 100k people are carrying it and I think they only had tested and confirmed people in the hundreds and that was like a week ago.

Like I said, discussion is good and this is no attack.

In short, no.

There is no way to tell, short of testing all 327 million Americans. This isn't Ebola, where it's obvious that someone is infected.

Reactions: vidaliagamecock
I had the vaccine. We'll see. I ain't hiding.
Your feelings? Sure . I feel you are not getting it. Humans do not have immunity to COVID‐19. The flu vaccine stops certain strains of the flu. Covid-19 virus is a different virus closer to the common cold.

Your feelings? Sure . I feel you are not getting it. Humans do not have immunity to COVID‐19. The flu vaccine stops certain strains of the flu. Covid-19 virus is a different virus closer to the common cold.
I'm getting it. The question was asked about whether or not the flu vaccine might offer some protection for this current virus. I offered myself as a test case. It was off-handed. At ease. You're coming off as a little frantic.

Both Flu and COVID19 are respiratory illnesses so I feel if anyone received the Flu vaccine there might be a good chance they will not get COVID 19.

This is absolutely not true. The flu vaccine given this season offers no protection against COVID 19.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT