ADVERTISEMENT

Nunez, will he be the future at QB for USC? Looks like he had a solid game,

The final score and box score are fairly misleading. He was 12/22 with 180 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs. However, there were many underthrows and at least 2 easy INTs that UCF mysteriously dropped. One was on the first play of the game.

I did like his ability to pick up 1st downs with his legs. Other than that, I'm not sold on anything.

Nunez's running ability (good arm too) makes him the obvious choice at qb. With our o-line, we can't rely on a dropback passer. He has a lot of upside. Wish some more receivers would emerge.

yep,future as in next week....
Yeah, better than I expect from a true freshman. Based on the way Orth looked, not sure we would have won that game without Nunez.

orth= 3 plays
You will be in more games this year with Orth , than you will with Nunez

Reactions: Pruittmatt44
The final score and box score are fairly misleading. He was 12/22 with 180 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs. However, there were many underthrows and at least 2 easy INTs that UCF mysteriously dropped. One was on the first play of the game.

I did like his ability to pick up 1st downs with his legs. Other than that, I'm not sold on anything.

I chalk up the bad throws to growing pains. He's a true freshman starting his first game. The kid just got on campus in June. He had 123 yards rushing-more than any of our backs this season. That's why he needs to start. The passing will improve hopefully over time. I thought it did in the second half.

Reactions: parhley

Did you not find Pharoh's dropped touchdown pass equally mysterious?

I chalk up the bad throws to growing pains. He's a true freshman starting his first game. The kid just got on campus in June. He had 123 yards rushing-more than any of our backs this season. That's why he needs to start. The passing will improve hopefully over time. I thought it did in the second half.

I agree, for the most part. The big TD play down the field to Cooper was delivered in front of him. That definitely wasn't happening in the first half.

i heard he had the most rushing yrds of any usc quarterback since the early 70"s i believe....im sure someone on here knows the date and the name of the quarterback

Nunez's running ability (good arm too) makes him the obvious choice at qb. With our o-line, we can't rely on a dropback passer. He has a lot of upside. Wish some more receivers would emerge.
Sclawman we never use any other receivers. Don't know y not go cockc

He's a work in progress but he will never be more than a game manager. If we play him on his strength he will not last through SEC play. He is not a true passer and can't be a runner. He also has limited experience with the read....he was an option QB in high school.

He's a work in progress but he will never be more than a game manager. If we play him on his strength he will not last through SEC play. He is not a true passer and can't be a runner. He also has limited experience with the read....he was an option QB in high school.

It's true his high school offense was run-oriented so he didn't put up many passing numbers. I don't agree that he's not a true passer. He can pass the ball just fine. Connor Shaw wasn't necessarily a polished passer and could run the offense effectively. I also think of Phil Petty as a game manager type of qb. Nunez has more talent than a game manager.

Last edited:
The kid has the size, the arm and speed. It would've been good for him to benefit from a red shirt year.

Thank god you aren't the one who has to be sold. Williams and Carson had 33 carries for 68 yds. Nunez had over 120 plus threw for 2 hundred. Are you just slow or biased.

Yeah, better than I expect from a true freshman. Based on the way Orth looked, not sure we would have won that game without Nunez.
In Orth's defense, had Heard run his route like he was supposed to we would have moved the chains and Orth would have been able to continue.
I was happy with the way Nunez played overall. He held the ball to long at times but I'm not sure if that's because the receivers weren't open or if he just missed them. What I do know is if he does that vs LSU in 2 weeks he better have his feet in gear or he'll spend as much time on the field horizontal as he does vertical.

In Orth's defense, had Heard run his route like he was supposed to we would have moved the chains and Orth would have been able to continue.
I was happy with the way Nunez played overall. He held the ball to long at times but I'm not sure if that's because the receivers weren't open or if he just missed them. What I do know is if he does that vs LSU in 2 weeks he better have his feet in gear or he'll spend as much time on the field horizontal as he does vertical.

I like Orth, but I think we can win more games with Nunez's legs....

We can beat Missouri, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Florida, Citadel and maybe Clemson...

As long as our defense doesn't take the field...

Not a mystery if they drop it, is it?

GOCOCKS! BEATMIZZOU!

Reactions: Tigerof66
His mechanics are terrible. Watch as he often brings his right foot forward when he throws. If we get behind against a good team, we will be in trouble. The coaches need to game plan around his running ability and short passing game. The long passing game is not there and we will pay dearly for forcing it.

His mechanics are terrible. Watch as he often brings his right foot forward when he throws. If we get behind against a good team, we will be in trouble. The coaches need to game plan around his running ability and short passing game. The long passing game is not there and we will pay dearly for forcing it.
I saw that too; I say if we do more read option and short stuff with the occasional long ball, we could emerge with a poor man's 7-5 team. I hope Nunez is watching how Dobbs is running on 3rd down play; hardnosed and smart with excellent vision.

Reactions: big9cock
Thank god you aren't the one who has to be sold. Williams and Carson had 33 carries for 68 yds. Nunez had over 120 plus threw for 2 hundred. Are you just slow or biased.

"Biased" in what capacity? I'm not sold in the sense that the pieces we have are enough to be competitive in the SEC. If you think a 190 pound QB running designed draw plays is the answer, then I guess we're set moving forward.

That said, he had a good second half. I just wish the play-calling and supporting cast weren't so lousy.

"Biased" in what capacity? I'm not sold in the sense that the pieces we have are enough to be competitive in the SEC. If you think a 190 pound QB running designed draw plays is the answer, then I guess we're set moving forward.

That said, he had a good second half. I just wish the play-calling and supporting cast weren't so lousy.
Nuenz is 215 lb.

The Kid showed more composure today than many Senior QBs we've had lately. Really impressed with his first start as a true Freshman.

Reactions: bmhood1984
The fact that we can have a qb that runs for over 100, passes for almost 200, and no interceptions and yet people still complains proves that some will never be satisfied. Just a couple weeks ago people were whining about how we can never have a qb start and be good from day one like other schools. Well today we did and it's still not good enough.

He made some excellent throws and some equally awful ones. He's a true freshman QB. But he looks tough and he can make plays when plays break down.

He's a faster Conner Shaw with more upside.

Reactions: dcdayday
He made some excellent throws and some equally awful ones. He's a true freshman QB. But he looks tough and he can make plays when plays break down.

LOL, now that's funny, don't care what anyone says

He's a true freshman starting his first game. For "terrible mechanics" he has more upside than any other qb on the roster. Like the zip he puts on the short passes. That throw to Cooper into double coverage (though very dangerous) was a beautiful pass. I don't want to dog other players but Connor Mitch has been in the system for 3 years and I haven't seen him make that throw in a game.

Reactions: FORKCOCK

I don't think he's faster than Shaw. I agree, however, he's got more upside because of his size.

I think that will be the game plan, or I hope it is...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT