ADVERTISEMENT

Nunez ?

I am not a homer Clemson fan but I do love my Tigers! With that said I think he is a very good ATH but not a 4 star QB. I think he may be suited better at another position. He could probably play a couple positions on offense and in wildcat packages.

I feel as you. He apparently is a tremendous athlete but I'm not sure where he will land.

As an aside. How is Watson? Is he healing OK, I hope so. He seems to be a great QB and good guy.

Coaches say he is around 85% and he should be full go by May. I tend to think more mid-summer. He is moving around very good for only four months out and not a hint of a limp so its a good sign. If he stays healthy it could be a very good season for Clemson.

Anyone who thinks this kid is not a QB has no idea what they are talking about. Perhaps it is just a bunch of Stat Watchers. His stats as a Jr were very good. As a Senior they dropped off, however, that was for a VERY good reason. According to his coach, he had some good receivers his Jr year who went on to play in college. As a senior he had no qualtity receiver to throw to so the strategy was to use him more in the running game, which he executed very well. He is a big kid with a good bit of speed.

I too was skeptical until I watched his video. Sometimes you cannnot tell much about a high school player from a video due to the competition level. In this case you can tell a great deal. He has a very strong arm and is accurate. The clincher was watching him moving to he left (he is right handed) and throwing across the middle. This is very good indicator of arm strength. He threw a strike over the middle with a lot of zip on the ball going the other way. Most QBs cannot do that. He also was accurate on the deep ball, and again showed his arm strength throwing down field.

Only time will tell how long it takes him to adapt to the speed of the college game and how long it takes him to learn and execute the system here. I would say though that he definitely has the physical tools.

We must have looked at different stats

Senior Year
803 yards passing
68/142 47.8%
2 TD/ 5INT
80 yards per game as a Senior

Career
2,072 yards passing
13 TD/ 14 INT
1504 Rushing w/ 3 TDs

He will be given every chance to play QB at USC. I do not think he will compete at starting QB his freshman year, but will play. I look for him to play the wildcat QB this year. He needs coaching, he was not in a very good high school program.

Originally posted by JGH 35:
Anyone who thinks this kid is not a QB has no idea what they are talking about. Perhaps it is just a bunch of Stat Watchers. His stats as a Jr were very good. As a Senior they dropped off, however, that was for a VERY good reason. According to his coach, he had some good receivers his Jr year who went on to play in college. As a senior he had no qualtity receiver to throw to so the strategy was to use him more in the running game, which he executed very well. He is a big kid with a good bit of speed.

I too was skeptical until I watched his video. Sometimes you cannnot tell much about a high school player from a video due to the competition level. In this case you can tell a great deal. He has a very strong arm and is accurate. The clincher was watching him moving to he left (he is right handed) and throwing across the middle. This is very good indicator of arm strength. He threw a strike over the middle with a lot of zip on the ball going the other way. Most QBs cannot do that. He also was accurate on the deep ball, and again showed his arm strength throwing down field.

Only time will tell how long it takes him to adapt to the speed of the college game and how long it takes him to learn and execute the system here. I would say though that he definitely has the physical tools.
The problem is, what if he doesn't win the QB job? Is his athleticism going to go to waste on the bench or is going to play another position and be a productive player for us?

Originally posted by clemsonfn8:

Senior Year
803 yards passing
68/142 47.8%
2 TD/ 5INT

Career
2,072 yards passing
13 TD/ 14 INT
1504 Rushing w/ 3 TDs
I don't know how much HS stats mean. We have a guy named Nosovitch that threw for over 9000 yards and over 100 TDs and ran for almost 4000 yards and over 60 TDS in HS and once he got here he couldn't beat out a walk on for third string.

This post was edited on 4/13 11:15 AM by ReadR00ster

Nosovitch was a fall back for Carolina. Nunez was your number one take. I wouldn't base my whole opinion on stats alone but they are important. Completing more INTs than TDs is not a good stat for a QB

Nosovitch was a fall back for Carolina. Nunez was your number one take. I wouldn't base my whole opinion on stats alone but they are important. Completing more INTs than TDs is not a good stat for a QB
True, but it all depends on how Nunez will be used. As an option read QB, Nunez would have fewer pass attempts than DT and I imagine they will be using David Williams as a low risk option to catch the ball out of the backfield as Nunez becomes more comfortable at QB. Relying on Williams getting more yards after the catch.

Look at Watson's 'pass' to Scott against us last year. Watson sold it like David Copperfield and faked out the entire Gamecock defense, but Scott was the player that took it the distance. Absolutely no risk for Watson and he still got credit for a 53 yd TD pass.

Don't get me wrong, Watson is a better pocket passer. But i wouldn't underestimate Spurrier's ability to finally figure this one out. He'll get everything out of Nunez and use him sparingly to open up the deep passing game. IMO
This post was edited on 4/13 12:29 PM by Number1pjones

Originally posted by Number1pjones:

True, but it all depends on how Nunez will be used. As an option read QB, Nunez would have fewer pass attempts than DT and I imagine they will be using David Williams as a low risk option to catch the ball out of the backfield as Nunez becomes more comfortable at QB. Relying on Williams getting more yards after the catch.

Look at Watson's 'pass' to Scott against us last year. Watson sold it like David Copperfield and faked out the entire Gamecock defense, but Scott was the player that took it the distance. Absolutely no risk for Watson and he still got credit for a 53 yd TD pass.
That's not a hard to do last season... HS offenses can faking out our defense without trying...

This post was edited on 4/13 12:32 PM by world famous 3rd base hecklers

Watson's ability is rare in a QB! I'm not puffing him up because he is a Tiger either. That guy is special when he is healthy. That's why he passed for over 13,000 yards and 155 Tds in 5A ball. Nunez is a different QB than Watson is so it wouldn't be fair to compare the two. Nunez will play for Carolina but I am not sure how early and at what position yet.

Originally posted by ReadR00ster:

The problem is, what if he doesn't win the QB job? Is his athleticism going to go to waste on the bench or is going to play another position and be a productive player for us?
Couldn't you say that about any player at any position? If we recruit him as a QB and doesn't start he'll be a backup unless he leaves the program. Just like if we recruit an Olineman who doesn't win a starting job, or a RB, or a LB, etc, etc, etc.

I Agree with you and I have been saying he is a bigger,faster Shaw like QB. Many folks I believe did'nt see the videos and look at the skills he has. Wow this is a QB that can spread the defense out with the threat of running. I hope he sees action so Cooper can be on the outside to open up even more the middle.

Originally posted by world famous 3rd base hecklers:

Originally posted by Number1pjones:

That's not a hard to do last season... HS offenses could have done a better job faking out our defense...

This post was edited on 4/13 12:29 PM by world famous 3rd base hecklers
Lol. Good point!!

Just trying to emphasize the fact that Nunez, like Watson, won't be pressured to throw 30 yd ropes and 60 yd bombs every time he hits the field.

Originally posted by Number1pjones: Lol. Good point!!

Just trying to emphasize the fact that Nunez, like Watson, won't be pressured to throw 30 yd ropes and 60 yd bombs every time he hits the field.
A Spurrier QB will throw the ball down the field; whether they ought to or not is a different story, but they will do it.

Watson's ability is rare in a QB! I'm not puffing him up because he is a Tiger either. That guy is special when he is healthy. That's why he passed for over 13,000 yards and 155 Tds in 5A ball. Nunez is a different QB than Watson is so it wouldn't be fair to compare the two. Nunez will play for Carolina but I am not sure how early and at what position yet.
If he's that dam great what is he doing at Clemson? Oh I know, playing for the best OC in the country, Jeff Scott.

You people are amazing.

Still butt hurt over a loss to a one legged man eh?
I wouldn't worry too much about him...

I worry about players playing hurt... I see two girls playing soccer with a torn ACL and they limp around in pain or seen one walking after surgery and walk with a limp... They are never the same and I can't believe some coaches will allow them to play. I heard one girl wouldn't let the trainer look at her knee...

I agree I wouldn't have played him but they did, he wasn't injured further and he looks really good right now. Back to the QB discussion. I think y'all's future is in McIlwain. That kid has a good arm on him!

Nothing like a clemmons fan telling us what we need at QB and that Nunez can never be as good as their guy.

I'll say one thing for you inbred losers, when you all say something the rest of you follow suit. The one legged comment is getting a little childish by now isn't it.

Couldn't you say that about any player at any position? If we recruit him as a QB and doesn't start he'll be a backup unless he leaves the program. Just like if we recruit an Olineman who doesn't win a starting job, or a RB, or a LB, etc, etc, etc.
No, because not every player at one position has the athleticism and talent to be a starter at another position.

West Virginia scores again! I think Nunez is a very comparable talent to the Clem5on freshman QB out of Wren. He threw a pick or two in the Shrine Bowl as I recall.

Originally posted by gcock5:
Originally posted by Number1pjones: Lol. Good point!!

A Spurrier QB will throw the ball down the field; whether they ought to or not is a different story, but they will do it.
Once again, I'm talking about Nunez. See if you can follow. Nunez is similar to Cooper. Cooper will run the wildcat, but will never throw the ball 20 times downfield in a game. Nunez will not be our QB at this point or any time going forward, unless he turns into DT, Garcia or Todd Ellis. No idea if he could run the read option and fill Shaw's shoes, but that is too far away to determine.

Maybe, but he will get over it eventually. Just like you probably did when we beat you with a 2nd string QB and 5th string RB.

No, because not every player at one position has the athleticism and talent to be a starter at another position.
But you recruit guys for certain positions, and if they don't make it they are on the bench. Generally, you don't just recruit guys that you hope you can find a spot for if they don't make it in their recruited position. Case in point is Nosovitch. He was a QB and recruited as such. He wasn't able to crack the depth chart at that position, so they moved him to TE. Well, we already had players recruited to play TE that were more suited to the position than Nosovitch, so once again he was not on the depth chart and ended up transfering. Same is true for Nunez. If he doesn't make it a QB, where else would he play? At every other position we have recruited guys specifically for those positions that are better suited for those positions than Nunez. At this level you don't just plug players into slots. Occasionally it may work out, but most of the time it does not.

I could see him being the wildcat qb, replacing Cooper. Imo he will start with a wildcat package and have it expanded as the season goes on. He has good physical tools but a qb needs more than that. It is impossible to know how well he will read defenses or how accurate the throws will be but I think GA will be very important in his development.

The thing that makes me think that he will play this year is the amount of attention that Coach Spurrier has given him. That makes me think that he is in the plans. I would like watching him run the read option with our rb's, Cooper and Deebo, Adams .... lots of play makers on the field. Having a change up to Mitch will probably be useful this season. I would think that he will get frustrated and changing up our system could be useful.

But you recruit guys for certain positions, and if they don't make it they are on the bench. Generally, you don't just recruit guys that you hope you can find a spot for if they don't make it in their recruited position. Case in point is Nosovitch. He was a QB and recruited as such. He wasn't able to crack the depth chart at that position, so they moved him to TE. Well, we already had players recruited to play TE that were more suited to the position than Nosovitch, so once again he was not on the depth chart and ended up transfering. Same is true for Nunez. If he doesn't make it a QB, where else would he play? At every other position we have recruited guys specifically for those positions that are better suited for those positions than Nunez. At this level you don't just plug players into slots. Occasionally it may work out, but most of the time it does not.
You don't know that. You are talking out of your rear end. Players get positions shuffled on every team, every year. Ellington and Pharoh were recruited to play defense. How did that turn out. There was serious talk about letting Googer practice some wildcat this year, that may still be a go, I don't know. Nunez is supremely athletic and versatile. Do you really think there that many people excelling at their position on this team that there is no room to try out people in other other areas? We have a lot of holes on this team with no one able to fill them and you think we shouldn't consider all our options? That's just dumb.

It's true that many if not most recruits when the first come in have a vision for themselves and that includes them playing a certain position, and they just about all think they are going to start, and they will make it to the NFL, and MOST of the time reality kicks them in the rear end, and hopefully then they realize that if they want to achieve their personal goals they might need to adapt and alter their plan because they found themselves not on the best path.

He may actually win the job. He has the athleticism and the arm to play in our system. Maybe he doesn't win the job and decides to be patient and stick with being a QB. But to act like it is written in stone that he will never be anything other than a QB is ridiculous.
This post was edited on 4/14 1:47 PM by ReadR00ster

Senior Year
803 yards passing
68/142 47.8%
2 TD/ 5INT

Career
2,072 yards passing
13 TD/ 14 INT
1504 Rushing w/ 3 TDs
Willy Korn had great stats.

You don't know that. You are talking out of your rear end. Players get positions shuffled on every team, every year. Ellington and Pharoh were recruited to play defense. How did that turn out. There was serious talk about letting Googer practice some wildcat this year, that may still be a go, I don't know. Nunez is supremely athletic and versatile. Do you really think there that many people excelling at their position on this team that there is no room to try out people in other other areas? We have a lot of holes on this team with no one able to fill them and you think we shouldn't consider all our options? That's just dumb.
Uh, Yes I DO know that!!!!!! Your examples are erroneous. First of all Ellington was a basketball player who decided to also play football his sophomore year. He came out as a WR and was never anything else. Pharoh Cooper was a QB in HS and was advised to try and play DB by his high school coach at the next level to better prepare him to get to the NFL. He was allowed to try that by the coaching staff since that was his desire, but after he got here the coaching staff advised him that he was much better suited to play WR than DB so he switched. He wasn't specifically recruited to play defense, it was his request to try. Obviously, it is you who is talking out of your rear end without the use of factual data. As I ACCURATELY stated - and you cannot refute - a player may occasionally switch positions successfully, but most of the time it does not work out.

Uh, Yes I DO know that!!!!!! Your examples are erroneous. First of all Ellington was a basketball player who decided to also play football his sophomore year. He came out as a WR and was never anything else. Pharoh Cooper was a QB in HS and was advised to try and play DB by his high school coach at the next level to better prepare him to get to the NFL. He was allowed to try that by the coaching staff since that was his desire, but after he got here the coaching staff advised him that he was much better suited to play WR than DB so he switched. He wasn't specifically recruited to play defense, it was his request to try. Obviously, it is you who is talking out of your rear end without the use of factual data. As I ACCURATELY stated - and you cannot refute - a player may occasionally switch positions successfully, but most of the time it does not work out.
We recruited Ellington In HS for football as a Ath/DB. He CHOSE to commit to the basketball team only and decided later to play football too, THEN it was decided after evaluating him he should be a WR. The point you are trying to make for yourself about Bruce and Pharoh is actually making the point in my favor. They thought they were something coming into freshmen and they wound up being something else and were successful. That is basically all there is to it. There is a reason why only SOME of those players have success when they switch positions. Most aren't gifted enough to start at ANY position so they get plugged here in their to fill team needs and hopefully get a little more playing time. They aren't special talents. Bruce is! Pharoh is! Nunez is the next one! That is what you don't seem to to understand. Not everyone on the team will be a star but Nunez certainly has the talent to do so at a position other than QB. He is not a Nosovitch or Kelvin Rainey. He's one of the Ellington, Cooper, Jeanpierre, etc...

This post was edited on 4/14 3:14 PM by ReadR00ster

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT