ADVERTISEMENT

Nyck Harbor

Selfishly, I don't like to see him excel in track. Now that he's qualified for the Olympics, or the trials or whatever, I read where he's missing a significant portion of fall camp.

So he's missed spring ball, and now will miss a large chunk of fall practice. He'll be playing catch up (no pun intended) during the season, rather than in spring or fall practice.

Selfishly, I don't like to see him excel in track. Now that he's qualified for the Olympics, or the trials or whatever, I read where he's missing a significant portion of fall camp.

So he's missed spring ball, and now will miss a large chunk of fall practice. He'll be playing catch up (no pun intended) during the season, rather than in spring or fall practice.
Yeah, don’t expect him to be on the field much….

Olympic trials are in late June

If he makes the Olympics, that will severely impact any football prep. But that's still a bit IF at this point.

He seems to be more of a speed guy than a wide receiver. So I am not really sure it would be a big loss. HIs potential is really more in our imagination than anything.

Reactions: ElectricalCock89
Someone like Harbour would best be utilized at DE. Use his speed to rush the edges, not at WR where he gets double-teamed. I’d much rather him get double-teamed at DE than WR.

Someone like Harbour would best be utilized at DE. Use his speed to rush the edges, not at WR where he gets double-teamed. I’d much rather him get double-teamed at DE than WR.
Chances are he'll be in the portal by year end, especially if the Olympics gives him more name recognition. I mean, that's what it's all about these days, why should he be any different?

I kinda agree, hopefully he will see how Deebo worked out as one of the most electrifying players in NFL, and stay at SC wide out.

Deebo is a football player. He's fast but he's not Harbor fast.

We have no evidence Harbor is a football player- especially at WR. From all indications, he has most all the tools to be a world class track athlete.

I am ok with being surprised, but I wouldn't count on Harbor to make a meaningful impact on football outside of a few plays here and there.

The best college wide outs- and even decent ones- are working their butts off in June on a football field working with personal coaches on routes, reading defenses, and timing. Harbor is working on track.

He would have to bulk up to play DE, imo. And that would hurt his track production.

How bulked up was Clowney?

Clowney is listed at 266 now, but I found an old ESPN article that listed him as 250.

Harbor is listed at 245 now.

So maybe he doesn't need as much bulk as I thought. (Given he has talent in the same arena as Clowney) I can't imagine though, training for playing line in the SEC wouldn't add weight to him, which would be a detriment to his track speed.

He was a 5* at DE. To me that would be considered evidence.

evidence that he was good in high school as a DE is not evidence in college of being a standout WR.

it's not saying he won't be. But we have nothing to go on after 1 season. He's fast. We know that. He's track fast and that seems what he's most focused on.

Reactions: Patriot321
So it seems that a lot of you guys are hoping against the obvious.

1. Harbor is here bc we let him call the shots on having a football scholly but track is first.
2. He has zero desire to ‘bulk up’ and play DE..track is first.
3. He is missing football spring/summer prep for the Olympics bc ..track is first.

If he puts the time in for a ‘new position of wr’ he could be a great college player. I just think his heart is track and I believe he is world class!

If last season was any indication, Harbor is on this earth to run very fast and primarily in straight lines.

He had close to zero innate ability for route running.

This is probably why he did better at TE than WR.

Which means he's probably not a great dancer either.

Last edited:
If last season was any indication, Harbor is on this earth to run very fast and primarily in straight lines.

He had close to zero innate ability for route running.

This is probably why he did better at TE than WR.

Which means he's probably not a great dancer either.
ROFLMAO, I bet he can dance, maybe not sing, but bet he CAN dance!! Hopefully we will get to see his TD dance often!!

Reactions: Ward Jr
So it seems that a lot of you guys are hoping against the obvious.

1. Harbor is here bc we let him call the shots on having a football scholly but track is first.
2. He has zero desire to ‘bulk up’ and play DE..track is first.
3. He is missing football spring/summer prep for the Olympics bc ..track is first.

If he puts the time in for a ‘new position of wr’ he could be a great college player. I just think his heart is track and I believe he is world class!

It really just irks me when people make the excuse that Beamer doesn't have the money to be successful but to know we spent such a huge portion of our budget to get Harbor knowing these things before he ever signed.

Reactions: birdmanCU
It really just irks me when people make the excuse that Beamer doesn't have the money to be successful but to know we spent such a huge portion of our budget to get Harbor knowing these things before he ever signed.

Everything irks you about Beamer though. Harbor had offers from every single big school in the country. Do you believe the likes of Alabama or UGA were ready to burn a draft pick and money on someone they didn't believe in?

Last edited:
Reactions: cockofdawn

In fairness, we've had a number of players that were going to run track and do the 2 sport stuff and get here and not follow through with it.

Most schools have had their share of those folks.

Everything irks you about Beamer though. Harbor had offers from every single big school in the country. Do you believe the likes of Alabama or UGA were ready to burn a draft pick and money on someone they didn't believe in?

They weren't willing to bid as much money as we were for him. As evidenced they weren't even in the final bidding process for him.

We got him because we bid the most (over Oregon) at the last hour.

That's the point. Other schools are spending their money more wisely.

They weren't willing to bid as much money as we were for him. As evidenced they weren't even in the final bidding process for him.

We got him because we bid the most (over Oregon) at the last hour.

That's the point. Other schools are spending their money more wisely.
Isn't this splitting hairs unless you believe Oregon was equally as stupid? Everyone was after the guy and he was at the top of the recruiting class. So what if we paid a few extra dollars to obtain him?

Isn't this splitting hairs unless you believe Oregon was equally as stupid? Everyone was after the guy and he was at the top of the recruiting class. So what if we paid a few extra dollars to obtain him?

It might be. Surely he didn't hide his intentions from some schools and not others.

But I think he's referencing another debate from a while back.

Officially, the schools are not involved in NIL and it's between the player and whatever person/company. We weren't officially paying players before NIL too. (Insert chuckling here)

So assuming the team is involved, what is the best use of NIL dollars? If a couple skill position players are worth the same NIL money as an entire starting OL, is one option more impactful than the other? (For example)

Reactions: PaleoCock
It might be. Surely he didn't hide his intentions from some schools and not others.

But I think he's referencing another debate from a while back.

Officially, the schools are not involved in NIL and it's between the player and whatever person/company. We weren't officially paying players before NIL too. (Insert chuckling here)

So assuming the team is involved, what is the best use of NIL dollars? If a couple skill position players are worth the same NIL money as an entire starting OL, is one option more impactful than the other? (For example)
I agree. They probably believed he could have an immediate impact with Rattler at QB and that didn't materialize.

Reactions: Lurker123

Oregon with 12-2 last year. Maybe they got lucky he chose us so they spent their money elsewhere. Maybe they had enough money it didn't matter.

We went 5-7 and couldn't afford to spend the money we spent to get Harbor.

So he might have insisted on WR.
So, Harbor was recruited as a 5*, Oregon comes in last minute so that shows Harbor expects 5* NIL, then he insists that we only use him as a 2* WR. If he’s available. Can't let football interfere with track. So football for him is just a side-show that's costing somebody a lot of NIL and costing us a football scholarship.

So, Harbor was recruited as a 5*, Oregon comes in last minute so that shows Harbor expects 5* NIL, then he insists that we only use him as a 2* WR. If he’s available. Can't let football interfere with track. So football for him is just a side-show that's costing somebody a lot of NIL and costing us a football scholarship.
Why do you think he can't be a 5-star WR? He is faster than the fastest WR in the NFL, is way larger than any fast NFL receivers, and very muscular. Sure he may need teaching on route running, etc., but he looks like someone who could physically dominate a CB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT