ADVERTISEMENT

O Line issues?

They are not opening enough holes for the runners and need better protection for the QB. Not sure if we had any illegal procedure penalties. How did we do with sacks? That also depends on what the QB does.

They look confused. ECU played multiple fronts and blitzed from a variety of looks. They are also dealing with 8 or 9 man boxes in the run game, and playing with a TE in Nick Muse who is a poor blocker. Turnetine has been disappointing.

What do you guys see as the biggest issues with our "O Line" right now? From a coaching/technique standpoint.
We’re getting out-quicked, that’s for sure. Just from their demeanor and faces coming out of the huddle, they seem like they’re focused on trying to remember/fathom scheme or reads or whatever instead of playing aggressive football. Can’t play aggressive football when your mind is busy; might need to de-complicate some, just go smash a mouth. But they won’t.

I know very little about the nuances of playing OL, but I’m pretty sure you are supposed to make contact with the opposing players. On multiple occasions, I saw players on the OL completely whiff and not block anyone - Defenders going by them on the right and left. That almost always resulted in a sack or tfl. Disappointing, especially considering that’s a veteran group.

We’re getting out-quicked, that’s for sure. Just from their demeanor and faces coming out of the huddle, they seem like they’re focused on trying to remember/fathom scheme or reads or whatever instead of playing aggressive football. Can’t play aggressive football when your mind is busy; might need to de-complicate some, just go smash a mouth. But they won’t.
Why not?!?!?!...RMO III

We need a more mobile quarterback to expand the pocket and not just stand back there and get hammered. That would at least buy a little more time for plays to develop. Why are quick screen passes not being used more?

Reactions: AngloCock
We need a more mobile quarterback to expand the pocket and not just stand back there and get hammered. That would at least buy a little more time for plays to develop. Why are quick screen passes not being used more?
We to really change it up to have a chance with UGA. Just don’t expect the Oline to hold back their line and backs.

What do you guys see as the biggest issues with our "O Line" right now? From a coaching/technique standpoint.
I think it's not just an offensive line play. Both Eastern Illinois and ECU blitzed their linebackers basically daring us to pass and we still couldn't pass. Teams are putting a lot of men at the line of scrimmage and blitzing through the gaps almost every play which means we're basically running into a wall unless we run outside which is where we had the success late yesterday. If we had receivers that could get separation and a quarterback who could hit quick short passes they might stop rushing their linebackers up the middle

We had wide open receivers but Zeb didn’t see them. He seems to decide where the ball is going before the play starts. Hopefully Luke is better at going through progressions. There are easy throw and catches out there. Once we get a little momentum on O things become easier. When we get bogged down, it looks messy.

Last edited:
I watched the replay today and #75 Turnetine did not have a good game…. 1st qtr. 5:08 mark their defensive back absolutely leveled him rushing the QB… that is unacceptable

Reactions: mavcock
OL facing 7 to 8 players in the box and not being able to get no surge from the line of scrimmage. Let's remember that our O-Line faced smaller, quicker defensive linemen the past weeks. We will have a better assessment on next week.

Reactions: cadcock
Can't fix cement feet. Our tackles move like they have cement feet. Replace and hope for the best.
I don't understand the reasoning behind having the biggest goliath on the team at LT. Seems to me you need someone agile and quick to block the DEs we seem to face these days. Both of our tackles were getting beat by ECU's quicker and smaller OLBs and DEs.

Thing is, UGA will be able to do the same as ECU using only 3-4 guys. Our oline blocking must improve significantly by Saturday. (tall order)

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Can't fix cement feet. Our tackles move like they have cement feet. Replace and hope for the best.
If you watch this....1:34....ECU LB #11 (guy with mouthpiece hanging).
The RT (Wonnum) just lets him run by.
A Sr player doesn't know who to block?
This is coaching. Someone on that staff needs their azz kicked.

Last edited:
The opposing defensive coaches dont fear Noland so they dare us to run the ball and stack the box, they run blitz and if it does happen to be a pass it turns into a pass blitz. A mobile QB changes our offense immediately.

The LT (Wonnum) just lets him run by.
Could be a number of issues. It’s formation, play call, protection call, and recognition— OC, QB, Center. Obviously the RT is keyed on the wrong player, who drops back into coverage. In this case, the RT has two guys standing up in front of him, neither are a defensive lineman. If you let it run, the RG is equally confused. It’s a front designed to confuse, while only bringing 4 rushers, and it did. The QB immediately looks to dump the ball to the running back, who isn’t looking. ECU is playing coverage on 3rd and long, and Carolina is expecting pressure up the middle. But these things can happen on 3rd and long because the defense has all the advantages.

From a talent perspective, the offensive line isn’t bad. The tackles are good run blockers and the interior is solid enough. But they are having a hard time with multiple fronts and extra rushers. But, so is the OC and QB in terms of adjusting calls and recognizing what’s happening.

A lot of it has to do with teams stacking the box and sending multiple blitzes, daring our Grad Asst QB to beat them through the air. Some screens should help clean that up a bit, although I don't think it will much matter against UGA.

We are very slow with no quickness. We struggle to block any with speed or quickness. But athletic OL are like hens teeth.
I agree, how many times have we seen smaller teams cause havoc with running games due to their speed. when you are much quicker than the other guy and the defense is blitzing from different spots a large line has problems. Hopefully the O line will perform better against D lines that are larger and maybe a bit slower.

If you look at both games and the TFL it is primarily LBs and safeties. The fact that teams feel so comfortable just sending that many guys crashing into the oline is the problem. There are only 5 guy on the OL and our play calling and passing is so bad that teams are okay playing man on the receivers and sending everyone else to sell out on the run.

In terms of the play above that one stuck out to me in the game as well but there are two things with that play:

1) They are showing blitz with multiple guys and as often as the line has seen blitzing it would be expected that both guys are going to come.

2) In that circumstance the expectation is that the RB would chip the outside guy on their way to the route. They aren’t expected to make the block just slow the momentum and be ready for the dump pass that should be headed their way based on the pressure.

The opposing defensive coaches dont fear Noland so they dare us to run the ball and stack the box, they run blitz and if it does happen to be a pass it turns into a pass blitz. A mobile QB changes our offense immediately.
R.951b0266ec358fd9fada8c2d8d4c4b76

Reactions: kawalski
Juju ran great but his small body was crushed in pass blocking. Our ol struggled to figure out who to block on blitz. This can get corrected. Agree with the screens and sweeps to keep the blitzes honest

They are letting the dline get across their face to fast. The center has to call blocking assignments before each play and we are missing blitz calls. To many players coming untouched. They block awesome on outside zone runs but not good on inside zone read. You can't keep running up the middle on 2 and 6. Especially this week. Middle will not be open. Get it out quickly this week is key. Run outside zone.

I agree, how many times have we seen smaller teams cause havoc with running games due to their speed. when you are much quicker than the other guy and the defense is blitzing from different spots a large line has problems. Hopefully the O line will perform better against D lines that are larger and maybe a bit slower.
The teams with the most explosive quick twitch and agile players in the front 7 are the SEC teams. UGA, A&M, UF, etc. EIU, ECU, etc. are smaller, yes, but also less explosive and slower. They cause problems for an offense like South Carolina because they sell out and take chances. They use multiple fronts, blitz a lot and from odd areas. They leave receivers one-on-one with single high safety looks and live with the result. South Carolina struggles with these teams for the simple reason that their QB and skill position players are largely average to below average. There are plenty of instances with a coverage look or run play, with skill guys that should be making major yards, that don’t work out that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: cadcock and Dizzy01
Who? We don't have very good tackles.
My B-I-L, a Clemson grad, was discussing Clemson's OL woes and brought up the cross-training that they had been doing. He felt it was an issue in how their OL began performing. I know we cross-trained under Muschamp but are we still doing it and could that be part of the problem?

The RT (Wonnum) just lets him run by.
He thought LB was blitzing. As for Harris, I have no clue why he didnt chip the end. He ran right by him. He didn't play the next 3 series. I'm sure they coached him up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dizzy01
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT