ADVERTISEMENT

O Line issues?

We need a more mobile quarterback to expand the pocket and not just stand back there and get hammered. That would at least buy a little more time for plays to develop. Why are quick screen passes not being used more?
So to fix the Oline we need another QB???? Brilliant.

Reactions: MTsumner92
Sure? Was Harris supposed to block? Unless we know the play, we're guessing...but there's no guessing on the OT.
If the DE's inside shoulder is passed or level to the tackle's outside shoulder he's beat. Unless the RB is running a flat route, he's supposed to chip with his inside shoulder to give the tackle time to recover. Then continue his route. That's the way I was taught. Maybe they use different blocking scheme. If so, I don't like it at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
I understand an O line struggling against 7-9 men stacked boxes, but in both games, the other team consistently got pressure only rushing 3 or 4 guys. Totally unacceptable for our line to play so soft. It's just sad that we can't do any better. UGA D line will destroy us.

If the DE's inside shoulder is passed or level to the tackle's outside shoulder he's beat. Unless the RB is running a flat route, he's supposed to chip with his inside shoulder to give the tackle time to recover. Then continue his route. That's the way I was taught. Maybe they use different blocking scheme. If so, I don't like it at all.
But there was no DE. They were both LBs.

I said we need a mobile quarterback which we have in Doty. He is mobile and and a run threat which takes the pressure off the O line. I never said that would FIX the O line. How is your reading comprehension?
Pretty damn good. How's yours? The title of the thread is "O Line issues?" not QB issues.

Reactions: Deuces_Wild86
Exactly, and what I said was something to help with the O line issues. Do you not comprehend that that is what a more mobile quarterback can do such as Doty when he returns, avoid the rush? Are you purposely being obtuse?

Reactions: 92Pony
Exactly, and what I said was something to help with the O line issues. Do you not comprehend that that is what a more mobile quarterback can do such as Doty when he returns, avoid the rush? Are you purposely being obtuse?
OK, so you think we should add a sixth defensive back to help the Dline?

They blocked better in the 4th quarter after we started completing some passes.
I think that is where are problem is. We have teams coming up against us that don't respect our ability to throw the football. They're pretty much daring us to throw the football. It didn't help that Zeb was ice cold to start the game.

It doesn’t have to be a mobile QB it just has to be one that can complete a pass downfield or if the coaches call things to the outside. It’s all about stopping the defense from being comfortable enough to just drive 6+ guys to the backfield every time.

Sure? Was Harris supposed to block? Unless we know the play, we're guessing...but there's no guessing on the OT.
We don’t know what the protection call was on that play, or how they were coached to react in that situation. It looks like they are in 10 personnel, which they rarely run. The line appears to be sliding left in a zone protection concept. Both the RT and RG end up blocking no one.

There’s a difference between the line being capable and the the entire offense running in a sensible manner.

And this formation never showed up on any film of ECU?
This is what's called getting "out-coached ".
I think we’re agreeing. It’s not necessarily a personnel issue, but it’s certainly a coaching and preparation issue. Only the LT has really put in some bad shifts. The rest of the line looks solid from an individual technique and capabilities standpoint.

I’d guess, in this specific instance, they probably only repped one or two plays in 10 personnel, with some route variations.

They might have spent the week working on what they plan for Georgia and assumed they didn't have to do anything special against ECU. I seem to remember hearing about teams looking ahead instead of who they're playing this week. There called trap games for a reason. And we won any way.

R.951b0266ec358fd9fada8c2d8d4c4b76

Yeah, but I’m more concerned how we use the mobile qb. Although scramble drills are a better solution than a sack, it’s not an offensive strategy. The extra blocker/added element on designed qb runs would have helped Saturday, but wouldn’t make up for the early issues with oline getting a hat on a hat and winning a matchup. In theory if zeb was athletic and you held everything else equal, I think we score 7 more points Saturday. If the oline executed well, I think we dominate that game even with zeb’s current scrambling ability (inability).

I didn’t play oline, but I was confused by satterfield’s comments after eastern Illinois that the issues in the running game were easily and immediately fixable. Repping to a point where you can play loose takes a lot of time, could just be new offense installation, guys still have to think about their assignments. When they finally get to where there supposed to be, it’s like a dog that finally caught a car and doesn’t know what to do. The only thing that’s immediately fixable in football is play calling, changing athletes play and decision making is like getting a Mack truck to full speed. Even wonnum & turnetine are going to have freshman moments in a new scheme.

What??? It's was a 4 man front.
It's a 3 man front with 2 LBs lined up over the right side. One LB rushes, the other drops into coverage.
So much for the OL being overloaded with 7 man rushes....they rushed 4, we only touched 2 of them.

What??? It's was a 4 man front.
I gotta agree with you on this. It was a 4 man front - 2 DTs and 2 DE aligned on the LOS. The LB moved up to the line like he was blitzing then backed off into coverage. The RT read blitz and took a step toward the LB and the DE went around the outside. I think he did what he was taught to do, which is always take the guy to the inside first. A back has to take the other guy. Obviously, he can't block 2 guys so when they read inside blitz the T has to take that guy and the back take the outside guy. Instead the back released up field on a route leaving the QB exposed.

Reactions: Dizzy01
After watching the game again last night I am scared for whomever we put behind center on Saturday. Granted, Georgia will line up in a more traditional front, but our guys up front were confused as to who to block....maybe there was some black magic going on where we couldn't see the free running backer on 20+ plays but if we don't figure out how to not block air this Saturday, or the rest of the season we are in bigger trouble than any of us thought.

I gotta agree with you on this. It was a 4 man front - 2 DTs and 2 DE aligned on the LOS.
No it is not.
It is a 3 man front offset. There is only one DE with two DTs. #96 lines up in front of the center like a NG, then stunts around our left end. Both the RG & RT are left to block the LBs. One of the LBs lines up outside the RT's shoulder, which should be the guy he picks. Instead, neither the RG or RT block anyone until the RG helps with a double team.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
No it is not.
It is a 3 man front offset. There is only one DE with two DTs. #96 lines up in front of the center like a NG, then stunts around our left end. Both the RG & RT are left to block the LBs. One of the LBs lines up outside the RT's shoulder, which should be the guy he picks. Instead, neither the RG or RT block anyone until the RG helps with a double team.
I get what you're saying.

According to Marcus(in the article post on GC) we only ran 2 running plays against EIU. Over and over. We played somewhat similar last week. It sounds like we need Luke back to really open up the offense. Guess we shall find out soon enough.

According to Marcus(in the article post on GC) we only ran 2 running plays against EIU. Over and over. We played somewhat similar last week. It sounds like we need Luke back to really open up the offense. Guess we shall find out soon enough.
Sounds more and more like they they didn't practice for ECU that week. Georgia gets to keep watching film of 2 plays over and over.

No it is not.
It's a 4 man front. It don't make a damn where the DTs line up. There's 4 guys on the line of scrimmage. This is little league, 2 guys on the inside are DTs two guy on the outside are DEs.

It's a 4 man front. It don't make a damn where the DTs line up. There's 4 guys on the line of scrimmage. This is little league, 2 guys on the inside are DTs two guy on the outside are DEs.
If you want to count the 2 LBs and the CB....it's a 6 man front. But there's only one DE on that line.
How many got their hands in the dirt?

No it is not.
That’s not necessarily true. Rarely as an OL if a team is showing multiple blitzers do you focus on the outside guy and leave the middle blitzer alone. This is especially true if you have a RB in the backfield who is probably supposed to recognize it’s coming and make the adjustment.

If you want to count the 2 LBs and the CB....it's a 6 man front. But there's only one DE on that line.
How many got their hands in the dirt?
The position is determined by the ALIGNMENT. The stance is irrelevant. Many DEs play from a 2 point stance. On the play in question there are 4 men ALIGNED on the LOS. The guy next to the LT is ON THE LOS. By definition he is a DE on that play. The LB who sneaks up close to the LOS is still behind the line. He is a LB. The roster nor the stance determines the position. The same is true on both sides of the ball. A WR who is lined up on the LOS is a Split End. A WR who is lined up behind the LOS is a Flanker(or slot if inside the SE). Those are by definition the positions as determined by the alignment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT