ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive and defensive rankings for 24

Bassslayer

Jan 7, 2023
by most football magazines has the QB-14 RB-10 OL -13 DL-11 CB-11 LB-12 WR-13 TE-11 out of 16. Getting to 6-6 will be a accomplishment.

Reactions: cockofdawn
We just went 5-7 with the greatest QB in our history.

I almost feel bad for Lanorris because he's never going to be able to live up to his offseason hype. He's going to have to be amazing just to get us back to 5-7. But your average fan will see that as him not living up to the hype even if he plays spectacularly.

I’m convinced we’re going to be much better on olines with a much better running game both will help sellers, now if we can get some receivers to show up we could have something!

Crucial season for Beamer. Another mediocre season from him and his seat will be blazing.
Will come down to the offense and how it performs. Man I hope Beamer's judgment on Loggains was good.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Truth be known, I was not impressed with the hire. It could be that no OC worth a flip had confidence in Beamer to work for him.

Chicken and egg? No good OC would want to work for him, causing him to struggle, or the struggle caused no good OC to want to work for him.

That's a question for the second hire, the first was just a last minute mistake, imo.

Reactions: gamecock stock
Chicken and egg? No good OC would want to work for him, causing him to struggle, or the struggle caused no good OC to want to work for him.

That's a question for the second hire, the first was just a last minute mistake, imo.

You’re being too naive with the first hire. He wanted to hire his friend and did. It wasn’t a last minute mistake. Tanner almost saved him by keeping Bobo but Beamer clearly wanted his friend.

So I assume the posters in this thread don’t need to watch this season. Was it OC play calling last year or player failure? Football is still about blocking and tackling. We forgot the blocking part.

An OC is reponsible for knowing what his players can and cannot do and finding solutions around those issues.

Reactions: bucketdad
Loggains did worse statistically than Satterfield, which does not inspire confidence. I will excuse that on injuries to the OL and blame the S&C Coordinator. Hope is eternal. Let's see what Loggains does this season.
If our recruiting was adequate it would have been next man up on the OL. Our next men up were traffic cones.

Loggains did worse statistically than Satterfield, which does not inspire confidence. I will excuse that on injuries to the OL and blame the S&C Coordinator. Hope is eternal. Let's see what Loggains does this season.
Loggains had less talent on offense. Lost key players and playing with freshmen o line

I noticed. 🙂
Don't get me wrong I was cussing my TV like the rest of you, I just realize true freshmen cannot block experienced SEC D linemen, it's not a fair fight. Those same kids got some valuable experience and with Elliott addition to add some fire and scheme I'm banking on us being much better.

Reactions: bucketdad
Don't get me wrong I was cussing my TV like the rest of you, I just realize true freshmen cannot block experienced SEC D linemen, it's not a fair fight. Those same kids got some valuable experience and with Elliott addition to add some fire and scheme I'm banking on us being much better.
Doesn’t take much to be better when you’re near the bottom but staying injury free is more important. The defenses that the gamecocks face this year are going to be better than the one that they face in practice.

Doesn’t take much to be better when you’re near the bottom but staying injury free is more important. The defenses that the gamecocks face this year are going to be better than the one that they face in practice.
We're deep and experienced at db, and I still say you're going to be surprised in our front 7, until they prove me wrong!

Lets just see...... Nothing we, as fans, can do but wait and see. I TRULY hope this team surprises me and gets 6 wins... I would take 5 with a win over the Taters.... But I am of the "Wait and see", Like this idiot that was running the baseball squad, 6-6 or Beamer should be fired!!

Reactions: Lurker123
I was with you up until the fired part. Two losing seasons in a row would certainly merit firing conversations. But I've been thinking 5 years for him.

I have said several times I could get behind the idea if "the wheels came off" this season.

There is talk on this site about Ole Miss and Missouri and how good they are. I'm not saying that defense is not important in today's college football. But Ole Miss last season was 13th in the nation in Total Offense. Missouri was 28th. To win in college football today, you better be really good on offense. Defensive guru Nick Saban realized that later in his career, really emphasizing his offense over his defense. Drinkwitz was Gus Malzhan's Offensive Coordinator in high school and college. Kiffin played Quarterback in college and was an Offensive Coordinator in college. Both have offense in their blood. So their offenses' performances should not be surprising. There is also talk on this site about how rich Ole Miss and Missouri are NIL-wise and Carolina being poor. At this moment, Missouri's recruiting is only 9th in the SEC and Ole Miss 14th. Carolina is 10th in the 16-team SEC. Of course, these rankings are subject to change.

There is talk on this site about Ole Miss and Missouri and how good they are. I'm not saying that defense is not important in today's college football. But Ole Miss last season was 13th in the nation in Total Offense. Missouri was 28th. To win in college football today, you better be really good on offense. Defensive guru Nick Saban realized that later in his career, really emphasizing his offense over his defense. Drinkwitz was Gus Malzhan's Offensive Coordinator in high school and college. Kiffin played Quarterback in college and was an Offensive Coordinator in college. Both have offense in their blood. So their offenses' performances should not be surprising. There is also talk on this site about how rich Ole Miss and Missouri are NIL-wise and Carolina being poor. At this moment, Missouri's recruiting is only 9th in the SEC and Ole Miss 14th. Carolina is 10th in the 16-team SEC. Of course, these rankings are subject to change.
In fairness, the talk is mostly from you. Missouri and Ole Miss aren't losing top players each season. They are gaining them. Big difference that's not in the ranking.

If you gave me $500,000 each year and I gave you back $100,000 and this continued for 3 or 4 years, that's not going to work out too well for you.

Paleo, with all due respect, those schools are always thrown back at me telling me that USC can't compete because we don't have the wealth that those schools have. I was told that I must not have been around to read the $$$$ that "so and so schools" got for NIL. I'm not the one saying we don't have the money to compete. That would not make sense coming from me. Why would I say we can't compete? I'm told to go check out such and such to see players that schools got.

Regardless, you confused the rankings I was referring to. The rankings I referred to was the high school rankings, NOT portal. But regarding portal rankings, we have done well, taking into account players lost as well as players gained.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaleoCock
In fairness, the talk is mostly from you. Missouri and Ole Miss aren't losing top players each season. They are gaining them. Big difference that's not in the ranking.

If you gave me $500,000 each year and I gave you back $100,000 and this continued for 3 or 4 years, that's not going to work out too well for you.
I responded just above.

Paleo, with all due respect, those schools are always thrown back at me telling me that USC can't compete because we don't have the wealth that those schools have. I was told that I must not have been around to read the $$$$ that "so and so schools" got for NIL. I'm not the one saying we don't have the money to compete. That would not make sense coming from me. Why would I say we can't compete? I'm told to go check out such and such to see players that schools got.

Regardless, you confused the rankings I was referring to. The rankings I referred to was the high school rankings, NOT portal. But regarding portal rankings, we have done well, taking into account players lost as well as players gained.
I see. The portal right now might be our biggest issue. If you can't keep your best talent at year's end, you're in big trouble.

I've stated this before, but if Sellers has a breakout year, he'll be gone. The top HS QBs are going for over $ 10 million without playing a single down. With Sellers physical attributes and the fact he'll have 3 years left, he'll probably get well in excess of that. Now imagine if Sellers and the WRs have a good season which is likely what would occur? That might be closing in on $15-20 million for just three players. Teams like UGA, BAMA and such are probably spending in excess of $30 million right now and the majority is to keep their talent in place and have them become upperclassmen.

I see. The portal right now might be our biggest issue. If you can't keep your best talent at year's end, you're in big trouble.

I've stated this before, but if Sellers has a breakout year, he'll be gone. The top HS QBs are going for over $ 10 million without playing a single down. With Sellers physical attributes and the fact he'll have 3 years left, he'll probably get well in excess of that. Now imagine if Sellers and the WRs have a good season which is likely what would occur? That might be closing in on $15-20 million for just three players.
You are probably right, my friend. I want him to have a great year. But, then again..... What a conundrum!

Exactly. This is so key. If we had kept our top talent from 2022, these guys probably would have absolutely zero to complain about in their quest for a coach that doesn't exist.

We likely would have beaten UNC, UF, CU, and even maybe UGA since we had them down going into the 2nd half.

It's not a Beamer problem. It's a bones problem.

Now Beamer loses the

I've stated this before, but if Sellers has a breakout year, he'll be gone. The top HS QBs are going for over $ 10 million without playing a single down. With Sellers physical attributes and the fact he'll have 3 years left, he'll probably get well in excess of that. Now imagine if Sellers and the WRs have a good season which is likely what would occur? That might be closing in on $15-20 million for just three players. Teams like UGA, BAMA and such are probably spending in excess of $30 million right now and the majority is to keep their talent in place and have them become upperclassmen.

Except we didn't lose Rattler.

You guys are just making excuses for Beamer instead of admitting, we've lost several players just because they don't find our offense or defense very flattering to play under.

Exactly. This is so key. If we had kept our top talent from 2022, these guys probably would have absolutely zero to complain about in their quest for a coach that doesn't exist.

We likely would have beaten UNC, UF, CU, and even maybe UGA since we had them down going into the 2nd half.

It's not a Beamer problem. It's a bones problem.
Talking about other coaches, when Malzhan was at Auburn, his teams finished 2nd, 22nd, 22nd, 10th and 14th in the nation in 8 years. But they fired him. It may have been for a non-football reason. But, if Beamer did that, we'd probably give him a "Warren Giese" contract.

Now Beamer loses the

Except we didn't lose Rattler.

You guys are just making excuses for Beamer instead of admitting, we've lost several players just because they don't find our offense or defense very flattering to play under.

He requires talented receivers who fled the coup. You basically would have had the same offense as in 2022 Mr. Brightside.

Talking about other coaches, when Malzhan was at Auburn, his teams finished 2nd, 22nd, 22nd, 10th and 14th in the nation in 8 years. But they fired him. It may have been for a non-football reason. But, if Beamer did that, we'd probably give him a "Warren Giese" contract.

Are you trolling Stock? What does this have to do with anything?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT