ADVERTISEMENT

Official PGA Thread

He's had this new back and new swing for less than a year... I have a feeling he could be pretty dangerous on the Tour in 2019 if he figures some things out.

But you guys are right, he has a limited window until age just starts to take over. He looks to be in tremendous shape though, so I don't think the normal laws of aging will apply to him.

And I think you would be correct. I think it would be monumental.
Tiger will win One more Major, My guess is a masters, And Maybe, just maybe a British.. No way he wins a US Open and I doubt another PGA, this one had his favorite (My favorite as well) bent greens and he did very well here, but future PGA setups may not favor him as much..

Tiger will win One more Major, My guess is a masters, And Maybe, just maybe a British.. No way he wins a US Open and I doubt another PGA, this one had his favorite (My favorite as well) bent greens and he did very well here, but future PGA setups may not favor him as much..

Agreed. Masters and British are his most likely. Would be absolutely shocked if he won a U.S. Open

Reactions: cockofdawn
Bent greens in anything but the cooler climates aren't optimum in summer. They have to keep more water on them when it's hot and not cut them as low. Those greens weren't as fast or true as the greens at Augusta in April. The ball was doing some funny wobbles, such as the putt he missed for birdie on #1. Also, the putt that hung on the lip on #11 would probably have fallen at Augusta in April or farther north than St. Louis during the summer because there would have been shorter grass blades to hold it back.

Bent greens in anything but the cooler climates aren't optimum in summer. They have to keep more water on them when it's hot and not cut them as low. Those greens weren't as fast or true as the greens at Augusta in April. The ball was doing some funny wobbles, such as the putt he missed for birdie on #1. Also, the putt that hung on the lip on #11 would probably have fallen at Augusta in April or farther north than St. Louis during the summer because there would have been shorter grass blades to hold it back.
I agree, these were slow, I am sure due to fear of the heat issues, and Know the difference, But as far as Hitting into these greens, they were much more receptive than say the Quail Hollow bermuda greens

Reactions: king ward
Agreed. Masters and British are his most likely. Would be absolutely shocked if he won a U.S. Open
I like the PGA setup compared to the USGA setups on most years. They let the players play more than the USGA does. The USGA tries to punish and even embarrass the players. They almost lost Shinnecock again this year. The PGA went a little over the top with the opening hole at Quail Hollow last year and the tee was set in the wrong location for the new #4 hole, a par three, but the rest of the course was outstanding.

Starting next year all the majors will be over by the 3rd week in July. Not sure if that will benefit streaky players or not. Sometimes too many big tourneys bunched together is too much.

It also doesn't feel like the PGA Championship if they're not out there sweating it out in a ridiculously hot and humid place during August. But I'm old school.

Starting next year all the majors will be over by the 3rd week in July. Not sure if that will benefit streaky players or not. Sometimes too many big tourneys bunched together is too much.

It also doesn't feel like the PGA Championship if they're not out there sweating it out in a ridiculously hot and humid place during August. But I'm old school.
I hear ya. The good news is that when the PGA comes back South, May is a lot better than August all the way around.

The man will be 43 years old next major season. He's had multiple injuries, including several to his back. For him to become a big winner again, he has to be in the fairway or at least the second cut more often. Even the young Tiger Woods was in the fairway more often than this.
I disagree with this entirely. He's made a living on missing fairways. His iron game makes up for his misses. The problem is that he no longer has a length advantage versus the field. So while he's able to offset his misses with incredible iron shots, other plays are bombing fairways to wedge lengths and more consistently creating the same result. He can (and nearly did) win without more consistently hitting fairways, but if he finds a way to do it more often, he will not only win another major but has a chance to break Jack's record.

The PGA will be at the Ocean Course in Kiawah again in 2021 (already planning to go). It will be in May. I went to the Ryder Cup there when it opened, and actually you can put a ton of fans out there. The PGA has told Charleston to improve the roads, etc to accommodate the masses. Rory tamed it pretty good last time. It's a few years off, but fun to speculate...

I disagree with this entirely. He's made a living on missing fairways. His iron game makes up for his misses. The problem is that he no longer has a length advantage versus the field. So while he's able to offset his misses with incredible iron shots, other plays are bombing fairways to wedge lengths and more consistently creating the same result. He can (and nearly did) win without more consistently hitting fairways, but if he finds a way to do it more often, he will not only win another major but has a chance to break Jack's record.
Nearly winning and winning makes all the difference in the word. Look at the converse of this proposition. The man who won the tournament by two shots didn't miss 10 fairways on Sunday. If Tiger breaks Jack's record, he'll be driving it a lot better than he did on Sunday. Remember, he is the main reason courses for pro events are longer and tighter than they used to be. What they started doing while he was in his twenties stands to be a lot more effective now than he is in his forties.

Last edited:
Nearly winning and winning makes all the difference in the word. Look at the converse of this proposition. The man who won the tournament by two shots didn't miss 10 fairways on Sunday. If Tiger breaks Jack's record, he'll be driving it a lot better than he did on Sunday. Remember, he is the main reason courses for pro events are longer and tighter than they used to be. What they started doing while he was in his twenties stands to be a lot more effective now than he is in his forties.
For the record, Tiger outscored Koepka after the first 2 holes of the tournament. There isn’t that much of a difference between winning and almost winning in this case. In fact, I’d make the bet that had Tiger been in the final group, he may just have won. Hardly anyone on the tour these days has felt the energy behind a Tiger driven crowd. Brooks was as cool as a cucumber, but I guaranteee he would’ve felt more pressure had he been paired with Tiger.
His lack of fairway consistency is the reason why I don’t see him winning another US Open, but the Masters and British are both very reasonable possibilities for him.

For the record, Tiger outscored Koepka after the first 2 holes of the tournament. There isn’t that much of a difference between winning and almost winning in this case. In fact, I’d make the bet that had Tiger been in the final group, he may just have won. Hardly anyone on the tour these days has felt the energy behind a Tiger driven crowd. Brooks was as cool as a cucumber, but I guaranteee he would’ve felt more pressure had he been paired with Tiger.
His lack of fairway consistency is the reason why I don’t see him winning another US Open, but the Masters and British are both very reasonable possibilities for him.
The older he gets, the harder it gets. I see the possibility, but no, there are people out there now who are as good or better than he is. That was not the case the last time he won a major. It's not going to be automatic.

Reactions: rogue cock
Well, you have to put yourself in position to win which he has done, then there is a certain amount of good fortune/bad fortune that has to be factored in! Two putts (one left on the lip) Sunday and we may not be having the will Tiger win another major discussion. Agree age is a factor and the window is closing, I will say Tiger has a lot more wear and tear on his body than Jack did, but you would have to admit Tiger is still a specimen, I don't think I could say that about Jack at the same age!

Well, you have to put yourself in position to win which he has done, then there is a certain amount of good fortune/bad fortune that has to be factored in! Two putts (one left on the lip) Sunday and we may not be having the will Tiger win another major discussion. Agree age is a factor and the window is closing, I will say Tiger has a lot more wear and tear on his body than Jack did, but you would have to admit Tiger is still a specimen, I don't think I could say that about Jack at the same age!
But Jack went on to win a major above Tiger's current age, as has Phil. Therein lies Tiger's hope. I thought Tiger was a specimen until I saw Koepka, Rahm, and Johnson. Johnson, for all his achievements, has underachieved. Other than Jack, none of them has Tiger's heart - his will. It is his greatest asset.

But Jack went on to win a major above Tiger's current age, as has Phil. Therein lies Tiger's hope. I thought Tiger was a specimen until I saw Koepka, Rahm, and Johnson. Johnson, for all his achievements, has underachieved. Other than Jack, none of them has Tiger's heart - his will. It is his greatest asset.
I think you are "Spot On". the only difference now is, Tiger has so many more "Young Guns" to deal with than Jack did..... And like i said previous, Tiger will win a Masters, But never another US open (IMO).. I will be in ATL watching him at the Tour Championship, he has a shot there, but I wouldnt bet on it, especially since teh odds will be like 5/1 or in that range

I think you are "Spot On". the only difference now is, Tiger has so many more "Young Guns" to deal with than Jack did..... And like i said previous, Tiger will win a Masters, But never another US open (IMO).. I will be in ATL watching him at the Tour Championship, he has a shot there, but I wouldnt bet on it, especially since teh odds will be like 5/1 or in that range
Even Augusta National is a tighter driving course than it used to be - longer and with additional strategically placed trees. The second cut can be played from easily, but it takes most of the spin off the ball going into those greens. I'll be pulling for him but cannot say positively that he will win another major. Incidentally, I like his chances in the Open next year at Pebble Beach. He has won there before and it is the shortest venue still in the rota.

Even Augusta National is a tighter driving course than it used to be - longer and with additional strategically placed trees. The second cut can be played from easily, but it takes most of the spin off the ball going into those greens. I'll be pulling for him but cannot say positively that he will win another major. Incidentally, I like his chances in the Open next year at Pebble Beach. He has won there before and it is the shortest venue still in the rota.
Yeah, he's won there before, he about lapped the field!

as good as Tiger's Iron play is, Augusta is pretty much a cake walk, He can hit out of Pine needles alot easier than 7" rough, and he has played that course so many times.. I say he has a best shot there as ANYWHERE in the world.

as good as Tiger's Iron play is, Augusta is pretty much a cake walk, He can hit out of Pine needles alot easier than 7" rough, and he has played that course so many times.. I say he has a best shot there as ANYWHERE in the world.
He won't be out there by himself. He had flattened the psyches of the golfers of his generation. Not so these young boys out there now. I'm not ruling out him winning the Masters again. Cakewalk? I don't think so.

He won't be out there by himself. He had flattened the psyches of the golfers of his generation. Not so these young boys out there now. I'm not ruling out him winning the Masters again. Cakewalk? I don't think so.
I rephrase, (no PGA event is a Cake walk) but he can get around that course, it fits his eye (LOL better cliche) , Almost NO ROUGH.. better than any, especially as bad as he is driving it...

I rephrase, (no PGA event is a Cake walk) but he can get around that course, it fits his eye (LOL better cliche) , Almost NO ROUGH.. better than any, especially as bad as he is driving it...
You know what, I don't expect him to keep driving it this bad.

Last edited:
That’s a great point. Assuming he stays healthy, his will alone will be enough to get him back on top. If he’s willing to work hard and stay committed, I think he will do what it takes to win. He has to be committed to it though because the clock is ticking and the competition isn’t getting easier...

That AINT gonna happen.. I will guarantee you that.. However I do see him winning 1 maybe 2, That is it.. I remember back in say 2009, we were like trying to figure which Major would put him over Jack.. He missed his Window.. Too many DJ's, Koepka's, Day's, Thomas', Spieth's, ETC ETC ETC

The PGA will be at the Ocean Course in Kiawah again in 2021 (already planning to go). It will be in May. I went to the Ryder Cup there when it opened, and actually you can put a ton of fans out there. The PGA has told Charleston to improve the roads, etc to accommodate the masses. Rory tamed it pretty good last time. It's a few years off, but fun to speculate...
When do they start improving the roads? 2021 will be here before you know it.

That AINT gonna happen.. I will guarantee you that.. However I do see him winning 1 maybe 2, That is it.. I remember back in say 2009, we were like trying to figure which Major would put him over Jack.. He missed his Window.. Too many DJ's, Koepka's, Day's, Thomas', Spieth's, ETC ETC ETC
Didn’t Phil win 3 in his 40s? At least 2, and he’s nowhere near the physical specimen as Tiger. To have a chance, he must win one next year...

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
First off, JT, Koepka, JD, DJ, etc werent playing At top of their game, but Phil won 1 major after 40, that was Bristish, I tbhink he was 39 his last masters win..
Tiger is 42, but having said that, notice my prediction........ I said Tiger wil win a Masters and maybe a British..... No chance (slim chance, anyone in it has a chance) at winning a US Open, or very little chance at a PGA.. JUST IMO..

Didn’t Phil win 3 in his 40s? At least 2, and he’s nowhere near the physical specimen as Tiger. To have a chance, he must win one next year...

next year is at pebble beach and he loves that place and I give him a punchers chance, otherwise I am in total agreement. If he had played that place in Seattle (Chambers Bay) where DJ folded and Jordan won I bet he would have struggled to make the cut there. That place was tough and awesome.
I loved Merion in 2013, and hope they go back. It was all about acurracy and the big hitters were neutralized.

I also picked Sneds this week in my draft kings, so that 59 (even with a bogey) is looking strong right now.

next year is at pebble beach and he loves that place and I give him a punchers chance, otherwise I am in total agreement. If he had played that place in Seattle (Chambers Bay) where DJ folded and Jordan won I bet he would have struggled to make the cut there. That place was tough and awesome.
I loved Merion in 2013, and hope they go back. It was all about acurracy and the big hitters were neutralized.

I also picked Sneds this week in my draft kings, so that 59 (even with a bogey) is looking strong right now.

You don't even know her last name!

And he was Over par at one point in his round yesterday..

I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility for Tiger to get to 18. It's certainly unlikely, but just think- he was squarely in contention at 2 this year and has been back at full strength for less than a year. What if he comes out and has a year like Koepka had this year and wins the Masters and British?

Again.. Unlikely, but not impossible. He has yet to prove he can get over the hump. HAS to win at least one next year to have a chance at it.

Based on what I saw at British and PGA, I think it's likely he will win at least another one over the next few years. Dude was locked in and playing as well as anyone and looks to be in great shape physically. But... what I'm really afraid of is that he gets hurt again.. That would be the end I'd have to think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT