ADVERTISEMENT

OK here is the million dollar question....

cockymark

Oct 1, 2006
Here it is...so many gamecock fans are so upset at the way spurrier left our program with the recruiting, etc. okay would you trade all of his wins against Clemson, good bowl wins, and sec wins for us to be better now? I agree what he did the last couple of seasons were bad but that was a great six year run.

Reactions: myrtlecock
I think it will take at least 5 years to wipe out the bad taste that SOS left us with. It was simply an awful way to treat his employer and its fan base imo. I expected more from the man than we got those last 2-3 years. What in the world was he thinking? Probably lining up job security for Junior. Who knows?

I'll always look back on the Spurrier Years with the caveat that he could have left USC with a new winning culture, but he refused to follow through. Once again, USC fans must be reminded, do not put your faith in the program by exalting a coach - always be alert to possible failure. In this case it was, imo, simply failure to try to do the right thing - doing the job.

The man quit coaching after the Citrus Bowl win over Wisconsin..Thats when he should have retired...Has he stepped away then there would be no issues....Our program wouldn't be in the crapper and all Gamecock fans would love and appreciate his tenure..But there is no excuse of his apathy and path of least resistance recruiting for 2 whole years...He and his entire staff need their asses kicked...

He did the exact same thing at washington that he did here. as soon as he saw he wasnt gonna win with what he had,he bailed. only diffrence was he did have succes here before he jumped ship

Reactions: Heyward1
So I am not sure anyone has answered my question...I guess you all would trade all those wins for a better program now ?

I think it will take at least 5 years to wipe out the bad taste that SOS left us with. It was simply an awful way to treat his employer and its fan base imo. I expected more from the man than we got those last 2-3 years. What in the world was he thinking? Probably lining up job security for Junior. Who knows?

I'll always look back on the Spurrier Years with the caveat that he could have left USC with a new winning culture, but he refused to follow through. Once again, USC fans must be reminded, do not put your faith in the program by exalting a coach - always be alert to possible failure. In this case it was, imo, simply failure to try to do the right thing - doing the job.

Very well put! The following quote is exactly where I land as well: "I'll always look back on the Spurrier Years with the caveat that he could have left USC with a new winning culture, but he refused to follow through."

Reactions: rogue cock
I would. all those wins did not get a conference title or even a top bowl win. they also failed to guarantee that in 2 years we wouldnt be back to 3 wins a year.

Reactions: Lakecock1
So I am not sure anyone has answered my question...I guess you all would trade all those wins for a better program now ?

I would trade a few bowl loses and a tater loss, if we could have steadily built on the foundation he laid. If he stepped away (or if Tanner allowed him to step away. I am not sure which is true. Probably a bit of both.) The chances of getting a top tier coach, continued recruiting success, and a turn in the tide of a more consistent winning percentage against the taters would most likely occur. (Please understand, this is not a knock on Mushchamp. I absolutely believe he is the best we could get at the time. But since your question is speculation, my answer is also full of speculation).

Absolutely not. There are no guarantees in life. Much respect to SOS that he provided the greatest run of Gamecock Football ever. Prior to SOS, USC had 1 good season in 100+ years. I am not sure how we quantify "better now" but with the new playoff formula we would need to be undefeated going into the SEC championship game to get a slot. Considering again that we had 1 good season prior to SOS I find it hard to believe we could come out the winner in this hypothetical trade....

This is the proverbial "mixed emotions" dilemma to which there is no answer. As in "Watching your mother in law drive off a cliff, in your new Porsche"

Reactions: Golden Cock
I will always be grateful for the Spurrier years. I don't know if it is true that he wanted to leave the year before...but if it were true...I surely wish he had. I hate the way it ended. Lou left us with a nightmare and Spurrier did, too. However...I will always be glad that these two men were at USC!

He's a quitter. No way you can ever justify it. How do you explain it to your kid? How can you accept millions per year from a public institution and not work?

Then, to top it off he puts the entire program into the hands of his incompetent, and apparently arrogantly rude, son. Between Jr., Whammy, Elliott, Adams and an absent SOS, we are in a 5 year hole.

Well of course you wouldn't trade the 11 win seasons or 5 in a row over Clemson to be better today, but the two didn't have to be mutually exclusive. Spurrier put it in cruise control when he didn't take the time to hire a top notch D.C. to replace Ellis Johnson or get a good recruiting coordinator. A little more effort and he could have set someone up to take over the program when he retired.

Reactions: 92Pony
No way I would trade away the successful 3-4yr run we had. However, now, when I think back on that stretch, the fondness I have there is for Shaw, Latt, DJ, MI6, Big Byron, Don't Say Nuthin, Chaz Sutton, Bruce, Ace, Miles, Clowney, Dylan, Alshon, etc, etc. No longer any real fondness for SOS.

Reactions: surfincock
Here it is...so many gamecock fans are so upset at the way spurrier left our program with the recruiting, etc. okay would you trade all of his wins against Clemson, good bowl wins, and sec wins for us to be better now? I agree what he did the last couple of seasons were bad but that was a great six year run.
No.

No. don't trade it because it proves we can win 11 games a year and at least have a chance at competing for the SEC. He left us in bad shape, but that isn't a 10 year sentence. It really should only take two years to regain respectablity of Muschamp can recruit here in a similar fashion he has throughout his career.

These are lean years again, but it need to last more that 2-3 years.

No. don't trade it because it proves we can win 11 games a year and at least have a chance at competing for the SEC. He left us in bad shape, but that isn't a 10 year sentence. It really should only take two years to regain respectablity of Muschamp can recruit here in a similar fashion he has throughout his career.

These are lean years again, but it need to last more that 2-3 years.
There are a lot of great recruiters around the country who can't coach. Everyone knows we have a great staff of recruiters. The question is whether they can coach. We'll know in about 2 years.

If and when ray tanner starts thinking the current coaching staff is taking it easy in any way they need to be let go so fast there heads would spin..don't need to get into this situation ever again..

Wow !! This program has been a freaking joke since the invention of fire . Until Spurrier arrived USC was a laughing stock, a guaranteed W on the schedule for any of the top tier teams in the conference . Nobody nationally gave two farts about Us. Before Spurrier you couldn't find a USC game on TV. Lou made us at least watchable but we were still an afterthought . Spurrier was and always will be the best thing that ever happened to USC . 1 bowl win in 100 years of Football !??!? You guys are delusional . Without Spurrier we will still be talking in about the 7-6 "Glory Day's" when we Almost beat Hofstra in "Who freaking Cares" bowl. Yes he quit , he knew he was 70 years old and had nothing left in the tank and he knew he could have stayed on as long as he wanted to and this University would have NEVER fired him no matter what his record was . Should have left after the Wisconsin bowl game but Ray probably got down on his hands and knees to make him stay . I will go on record to say ten years from now we will see exactly what Spurrier accomplished when we are still slugging it out with Vandy for last place in the East .

That's a tough question, but gradual building to powerhouse status would have been nice. Now we're having to scrape.

Well of course you wouldn't trade the 11 win seasons or 5 in a row over Clemson to be better today, but the two didn't have to be mutually exclusive. Spurrier put it in cruise control when he didn't take the time to hire a top notch D.C. to replace Ellis Johnson or get a good recruiting coordinator. A little more effort and he could have set someone up to take over the program when he retired.
True. And someone like Shawn Elliott or Jr would be our coach right now.

Count your blessings.

Spurrier's biggest fault was what I consider his biggest asset. In the end he could not lie. When he was asked the question about how much longer he would be here he could not lie. I will never fault a man for being honest. Unfortunately in college football these days that Honesty cost our program. He didn't stop coaching. He didn't stop trying to win. Recruiting recruiting recruiting. It all came down to that. When the rest of the league and the coaches we recruit against or able to use his own words as ammunition against him we were sunk. It would have been great if he were only fifty years old and had gotten with the times.

I fault him more for the fact that we hadn't hired all the ancillary people to help with recruiting like every other program. We have added I think I read 20 staff members in the football offices just for this. That is something that Spurrier didn't think it was necessary. And that is as much the reason we are suffering now and as any. I still will not persecute a man for telling the truth. So my answer is no.

I'll never forget how I felt when we beat Nebraska in Orlando. I was there and I could see the emotion on spurrier's face and hear it in his voice when he announced to the crowd that we had won 11 games. At the time I thought that might be our Apex. Then we did it two more years. Here's hoping we can get back to that level.

His legacy was wiped out when he jumped ship mid season, if he had waited till end of season to quit, maybe not so much
Haha. This is more than funny. Prior to his quitting, people were yelling: "he needs to quit now!!". Then as soon as he quit, people were yelling: "he shouldn't have quit in middle of season!!" You can't win with the "experts" on this board! :(:(

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT