ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma QB Caleb Williams in the Portal

Sounds like it. This is moving fast. College football as we know it won't look the same in a few years. This kid took over the starting job and is entering the protocol to get paid by the same or a different team. Does anyone care about the school any more, or the team? Freakin unbelievable selfishness.

Sounds like it. This is moving fast. College football as we know it won't look the same in a few years. This kid took over the starting job and is entering the protocol to get paid by the same or a different team. Does anyone care about the school any more, or the team? Freakin unbelievable selfishness.
It's been heading this way for years and it's no surprise to anyone that even casually follows college football or college sports in general. Between NIL, transfer portal, sitting out of the bowl games, and political activism/antics, college football is no longer about the school or the team; and it's only going to get worse. I'm an old-school college football fan, a USC alumnus that used to live and breathe Gamecock sports and college sports in general. But I and many others have lost much of our interest in college sports over the years because of all the "non-team, non-school" activities that have now consumed amateur athletics.
Sure, us old-schoolers watched the Mayo Bowl and we were happy for a win. Why? Because we saw it through our "old-school glasses", we saw it as a "team win" and a "school win" and it brought back all the emotions of old-school college football and amateur athletics. But at the same time, we realize that we are dinosaurs and the days of most kids playing college sports because they grew up "just wanting to be a Gamecock" and "just wanting to win for their school and their team" are long gone.
Change happens, it's inevitable, we accept that. Us dinosaurs have gradually found other activities to take the place of attending and watching most Gamecock and college sports. We are finding other venues and activities to spend our time and money on, and I suspect many will completely separate from the Gamecock/college sports world in coming years. We will be replaced, but it won't be by fans with as much pure love for the Gamecock "team" and the "school", The University of SC.

Rumor is UGA offered Williams an NIL deal in the $1-2m range. Also ND and LSU hollaring at him.

It's been heading this way for years and it's no surprise to anyone that even casually follows college football or college sports in general. Between NIL, transfer portal, sitting out of the bowl games, and political activism/antics, college football is no longer about the school or the team; and it's only going to get worse. I'm an old-school college football fan, a USC alumnus that used to live and breathe Gamecock sports and college sports in general. But I and many others have lost much of our interest in college sports over the years because of all the "non-team, non-school" activities that have now consumed amateur athletics.
Sure, us old-schoolers watched the Mayo Bowl and we were happy for a win. Why? Because we saw it through our "old-school glasses", we saw it as a "team win" and a "school win" and it brought back all the emotions of old-school college football and amateur athletics. But at the same time, we realize that we are dinosaurs and the days of most kids playing college sports because they grew up "just wanting to be a Gamecock" and "just wanting to win for their school and their team" are long gone.
Change happens, it's inevitable, we accept that. Us dinosaurs have gradually found other activities to take the place of attending and watching most Gamecock and college sports. We are finding other venues and activities to spend our time and money on, and I suspect many will completely separate from the Gamecock/college sports world in coming years. We will be replaced, but it won't be by fans with as much pure love for the Gamecock "team" and the "school", The University of SC.
Why don’t you blame your lack of interest on the truth…. There’s zero for you to actually cheer for!! Clemson has owned the Coots for seven years and even with Rattler that’ll be ten in a row before y’all know it. NIL and the Portal have definitely destroyed college football but they haven’t damaged Coot fans like will muschamp did!!

Sorta like free agency & what’s happened to mlb

Why don’t you blame your lack of interest on the truth…. There’s zero for you to actually cheer for!! Clemson has owned the Coots for seven years and even with Rattler that’ll be ten in a row before y’all know it. NIL and the Portal have definitely destroyed college football but they haven’t damaged Coot fans like will muschamp did!!
Clemson is heading the wrong direction, might as well accept it.

I don't think it is the lack of interest. I think the interest is there with the amount of money in the game. The problem is the money is not going to the workers who doing all the work. With NIL and the Portal, it allows teams to get better soon then later.

It is interesting Clemsux is not playing this game and the first year NIL is in play is when they took a step back. Good luck next year, hope we will do better then this year.

That would be true if he didn't make this comment "Williams said remaining at Oklahoma is an option"

I get it but I just feel like it’s window dressing. I heard his dad said he wants him to get into a system to prepare him for the NFL.

The temptation for wealthy supporters to float something in the ether and hoping it gets back to certain players is certainly there. Folks say that's not going to happen.

Right.

Reactions: Patriot321
Replaced by younger fans who don't have the money, or want to spend their money on USC. The older dinosaurs have been contributing with very little ROI for decades.

People really have built it up in their heads that with all of this money and worship of college football that these players that can profit from NIL are normal students. They've never been normal students.

If you care so much about the sanctity of amatuer athletics, it will please you to know that the vast majority of college football players will have to find a real job after college, so it benefits them to do the student part.

But again, this is all because fans want to be entertained and prefer when the scales are tipped from the top, down.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
Regardless of any of the NIL stuff that has been the main topic of this thread, it is amazing to me what has happened to Oklahoma in the last few months. What a crazy turn of events:

Join the SEC, followed by…
Incredible young coach bails to USC West
Rattler and Stogner come to USC East
Lost the top incoming QB recruit to USC West
Venables finally gets his dream job and then…
The starting QB who replaced Rattler is leaving too

What a crazy mess for a program that has been the picture of consistency for years now. Wow. And you know the SEC West can’t wait to “welcome” them.

Last edited:
So, a yankee who sent his son to clemzin chimes in? Could I care less about an opinion?

I don't think I can.

Hey NJCClemsondady the only thing Clemson has owned is for sexual perverts to play at Moo U. Drugs and money are at the top of the list. Then you play in the participation trophy league. This little run you are on is about to come to an end. Then you stupid fools you have an ex coach who the NCAA was going to give you the death penalty for you put his name on your ring of honor. Then the cars, drugs you have covered up. I could go on and on about that stupid emblem you put on all your jerseys. Looks like cow shit. You are just the johnny come lately, and your little side show is about to come to an end. You have never owned anyone, just got lucky and had a few good years. That is all. Ask Ohio State and LSU the last times you played them.

spot on

Reactions: Patriot321
What system is OU even going to run next year?
I've been waiting anxiously to find this out. Venables being a Defense guy....I don't think there is any way he will stay with AR/PR. The downside to the offense is (esp. if you choose to) tempo a lot...you have some quick 3 and outs and your defense suffers. You can also score 28 points in a qtr with the same offense....but I suspect he will pull a Muschamp and mettle/disallow anything that could elevate the offensive side of ball over the defensive side.
Get your popcorn ready b/c Norman has only seen AR/PR for the last 0ver 20 years and there will be plenty of negative buzz when they're avg'g scoring 18 per game instead of 38.

And now you see why the rules around amateurism were so rigid and absolute.

What started as actual legit students at universities competing to represent their school is now nothing more than a farm league for the NFL that has little to do with the school other than a logo.

jesus....you must LOVE the armpits of America. New Jersey AND Pickens County U?
There are a couple irrefutable truths here about you...even though I don't know you:
1-Your halitosis game is amongst the top 1% in the country.
2-You either don't understand wasted money, or you greatly enjoy wasting money.
3-Once you arrive, people slowly move away from you in bars/restaurants.

And now you see why the rules around amateurism were so rigid and absolute.

What started as actual legit students at universities competing to represent their school is now nothing more than a farm league for the NFL that has little to do with the school other than a logo.
yes...has to be rigid. If cheating occurs....and is found out- Have massive penalties and enforce them. Only way to operate in amateur athletics that also happens to be big business. It's never going to be 100% pure - but this new direction is the worst possible thing they could've come up with.

Hey NJCClemsondady the only thing Clemson has owned is for sexual perverts to play at Moo U. Drugs and money are at the top of the list. Then you play in the participation trophy league. This little run you are on is about to come to an end. Then you stupid fools you have an ex coach who the NCAA was going to give you the death penalty for you put his name on your ring of honor. Then the cars, drugs you have covered up. I could go on and on about that stupid emblem you put on all your jerseys. Looks like cow shit. You are just the johnny come lately, and your little side show is about to come to an end. You have never owned anyone, just got lucky and had a few good years. That is all. Ask Ohio State and LSU the last times you played them.
I love it. A real Gamecock no doubt!! I remember not too long ago that tiny little kindergarten inspired "paw" in the middle of their field. I wish they would go back to it.
Yes- that last time OSU played and figured out the cheating bank of coaches up in the box stealing signals....that was a great game for the rest of the nation. I highly dislike OSU as well....but they righted a wrong that CU had been getting over with for a few years.

Looks like Venebles got his QB, Dillon Gabriel Flips from UCLA to Oklahoma.

Be gone tater. Don't you have your own message boards?? Or did everyone on your board enter the transfer portal too?

You left out the fact that this dude is currently on staff "up thar".

I would say it was that if it were true, but my lack of interest began during the Spurrier era when we were rolling the Taters 5 in a row, back when the CU fans were ready to toss Dablo.

yes...has to be rigid. If cheating occurs....and is found out- Have massive penalties and enforce them. Only way to operate in amateur athletics that also happens to be big business. It's never going to be 100% pure - but this new direction is the worst possible thing they could've come up with.
I agree but the NCAA has to take some blame, they could never master the art of equal enforcement for ALL schools, not just the underlings. It's out of their court now.

I love it. A real Gamecock no doubt!! I remember not too long ago that tiny little kindergarten inspired "paw" in the middle of their field. I wish they would go back to it.
Yes- that last time OSU played and figured out the cheating bank of coaches up in the box stealing signals....that was a great game for the rest of the nation. I highly dislike OSU as well....but they righted a wrong that CU had been getting over with for a few years.
The high tech signal stealing apparatus hasn't been discussed nearly as much as I thought it would have been, even when it was discovered. I was talking to a CU fan over the holidays about how Venables seemed to have a dazed look about him on many plays since Ohio St squashed the cheating scheme; CU has not been the same since. I would love to know the specifics of how it worked, maybe it will all come out one day, or maybe I just missed it. But yes, OSU did the college football world a big favor.

Reactions: chief2791
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT