ADVERTISEMENT

On to 2024: Tougher schedule, younger team, less talent?

It really was. Their kicker was 1-6 over 40+ and goes 3-3. If we dont give em that 7, and he goes 2-3, its a toss up who wins. Our defense played very well considering they had no offensive help

I wasn't sold on White salvaging his job based off Vandy and UK, but put it together with the clemson game, and he may just have.

Personally wouldn't mind seeing Loggins replaced. However, it could be a bad look from a recruiting perspective. They will probably retain him for at least one more after just replacing the OC position last season. Any staff changes will likely be more downstream.

Same could be said about many of our losses this year.

Teams with better talent making in-game adjustments to take advantage of that talent gap.

This is why you can come in with a really good game plan and still lose over the course of 60 minutes.

If football games were limited to 1st quarters, we would be something like 10-2 this season.
Beamer will get more time to close the talent gap. Missing a bowl will give him more time on the recruiting trail. It becomes a tougher sell though when he's not getting results on the field. His strength is supposedly recruiting so let's see if he can deliver.

Reactions: Ward Jr
Personally wouldn't mind seeing Loggins replaced. However, it could be a bad look from a recruiting perspective. They will probably retain him for at least one more after just replacing the OC position last season. Any staff changes will likely be more downstream.
Our problem is we have no O line or RB. Anderson was a great D2 find to plug in for a year but Lattimore, Mike Davis, Brandon Wilds, those are the backs we need.

It’s frustrating bc Beamers #1, and seemingly only, qualification is an elite recruiter. And in the portal era, EVERYONE is up for grabs at all times. Other than Rattler, our portal guys all seem to be FCS transfers, which is fine if its Juice Wells but thats not the norm.

Beamer will get more time to close the talent gap. Missing a bowl will give him more time on the recruiting trail. It becomes a tougher sell though when he's not getting results on the field. His strength is supposedly recruiting so let's see if he can deliver.
I agree, its why I think 5-7 and no bowl, in a weird way, is better than 6-6 and a bowl that all our guys will opt out of and lose.

Its portal era, we have literally wide open spots at every position for guys who want it. Beamer is an elite recruiter, its why we hired him, obviously not due to HC/OC/DC background.

The home environment we offer, immediate chance to start, and elite competition to show NFL scouts, that should be enticing to 90% of FBS players outside of the SEC, and even to 10% of SEC players. Georgia and Bama have 4/5 stars as backups.

Beamer has to crush it in the portal NOW. If not, its gonna be 5-7 again next year. Its what we (well Ray) hired him to do

Our problem is we have no O line or RB. Anderson was a great D2 find to plug in for a year but Lattimore, Mike Davis, Brandon Wilds, those are the backs we need.

It’s frustrating bc Beamers #1, and seemingly only, qualification is an elite recruiter. And in the portal era, EVERYONE is up for grabs at all times. Other than Rattler, our portal guys all seem to be FCS transfers, which is fine if its Juice Wells but thats not the norm.

The integrity of both lines is the big separating factor between the top teams and everyone else.

We've always had OL issues because linemen get hurt all the time and our 2nd team talent is a big drop off from the 1st team.....Or the 1st teams get winded in a game and someone like a UGA rolls in their backups who are as good as our starters. Consistent Top 10 recruiting is what is needed to stem this particular tide.

The RB situation was largely an issue of losing both Lloyd and Bell to the portal. These guys received more money and more run support. A no-brainer move for them.

The integrity of both lines is the big separating factor between the top teams and everyone else.

We've always had OL issues because linemen get hurt all the time and our 2nd team talent is a big drop off from the 1st team.....Or the 1st teams get winded in a game and someone like a UGA rolls in their backups who are as good as our starters. Consistent Top 10 recruiting is what is needed to stem this particular tide.

The RB situation was largely an issue of losing both Lloyd and Bell to the portal. These guys received more money and more run support. A no-brainer move for them.
All true.

I agree, its why I think 5-7 and no bowl, in a weird way, is better than 6-6 and a bowl that all our guys will opt out of and lose.

Its portal era, we have literally wide open spots at every position for guys who want it. Beamer is an elite recruiter, its why we hired him, obviously not due to HC/OC/DC background.

The home environment we offer, immediate chance to start, and elite competition to show NFL scouts, that should be enticing to 90% of FBS players outside of the SEC, and even to 10% of SEC players. Georgia and Bama have 4/5 stars as backups.

Beamer has to crush it in the portal NOW. If not, its gonna be 5-7 again next year. Its what we (well Ray) hired him to do

We had all this last year and what did Beamer bring in the portal?

The idea that Beamer is an elite recruiter is a myth that people keep telling themselves and believing it the more they say it. He's only recruited to the level we traditionally recruit and he's largely thrived on questionable recruiting decisions. He's taken a lot of kids with character issues that other schools backed off like Rose, Rhames, and McCleod. None of which are with the team any more. Then he's taken kids that were overrated by the recruiting services with few other offers like Bailey, Davis and Samson. Then he got a lot of hype for being willing to pay the most amount of money for Harbor, a kid who didn't want to play the one position that actually made him a 5-star prospect.

So Beamer has gotten a lot of hype but little results out of the recruiting. His best players have largely been Muschamp's recruits.

Beamer does get credit for Rattler, but that was probably a one-off because he had a prior relationship with him. Juice Wells was also a nice get, but i'm still curious to see if it's really wells or if he's the product of being Rattler's #1 target.

What's your assessment of how he's handled the portal so far? Does it give you confidence in how he'll handle it going forward?

Reactions: uscwatson21
Already offering offensive lineman from the Sun Belt who weren't even all conference last year...

Going to be a long portal season.

Did any other power 5 team have as many “injuries” as Carolina this year? Something ain’t right!!🥴
I wonder if bad cleats are to blame. You can do some damage running if you don't have on the right shoe. Doesn't matter what name is on the outside.

4 patsies, including 3 ooc patsies and vandy.

Just need two games to be bowl eligible.
To me, that's a low bar. If Missouri and Ole Miss can do it, why can't we? It reminds me of the movie "Sleepless In Seattle". When Meg Ryan tells Bill Pullman that she is dumping him for Tom Hanks, Pullman tells her that he doesn't want to be someone who the girl "settles for". I don't want to "settle for" mediocre bowls. I want to be nationally relevant. It can be done here. Spurrier proved that. If Beamer can't do it...... should someone(s) admit his (their) mistake and cut their losses like Florida State did with Taggart after 2 years? Maybe it's impossible in this NIL day. Are Ole Miss and Missouri that much better than us NIL-wise? I know little and claim less.

Reactions: Lurker123
UK fan here. Someone up here has compared the schedule of our SEC opponents and concluded our game against USC will be on Sept 7. He based this on looking at the schedule of our other SEC opponents and discovering than USC was the only opponent that didn't already have a game scheduled on that date.

Take is with a grain of salt.

Meanwhile Beat Clem sum!

Oh, there are plenty, and every one of them valid.
And maybe one of them will be that Beamer is not as good a coach as Drink @Missouri. Maybe Drink is one helluva coach because he sure has not been bringing in Top 10 recruiting classes to justify Missouri's current number 9 national ranking in Year 4 at Missouri. Not that there's any shame in not being as good of a coach as Eli Drinkwitz.

There will ALWAYS be excuses. There were people still arguing for Muschamp going into his last year.
No question. But will they be legitimate excuses?

I really don't see any way that Beamer won't be given every chance that Muschamp was given. He really needs to show progress next year. And that means, in my opinion, pulling off a couple of upsets.

No question. But will they be legitimate excuses?

I really don't see any way that Beamer won't be given every chance that Muschamp was given. He really needs to show progress next year. And that means, in my opinion, pulling off a couple of upsets.

Muschamp was given one losing season. Beamer just had his losing season. If he loses again next year he should be fired.

And maybe one of them will be that Beamer is not as good a coach as Drink @Missouri. Maybe Drink is one helluva coach because he sure has not been bringing in Top 10 recruiting classes to justify Missouri's current number 9 national ranking in Year 4 at Missouri. Not that there's any shame in not being as good of a coach as Eli Drinkwitz.

Drink had 6 wins last year, 6 wins the year before, and 5 before that. Last 2 years were losing records. Mizzou was literally on the verge of firing him last year. Gave up the play calling (not sure if my choice) and hired Kirby Moore. He also lucked up and got an all-SEC back that was literally forced on him by a donor in exchange for his donation. I think Drink is a good coach and I know he is the shiny object right now, but let's see if it lasts. Next year looks good for them too with a very favorable schedule, but we will see long term. They have certainly done will this year, for sure. I do hope they beat Ohio St in the bowl, but the bowls are a mess this year with all the portal and NFL opt outs.

Muschamp was given one losing season. Beamer just had his losing season. If he loses again next year he should be fired.
You know as well as I do that won't happen. He was hired by Tanner. He will give him a 5th season, just like Chump was given. So get that out of your head.

Don't misunderstand. I did not like the hire. But he did overachieve in his first 2 seasons here. I won't address this season. We'll see what next season reveals. I don't buy the schedule excuse. It will be his 4th season. He has HIS recruits for the most part. We should be competitive. We'll see. I'm pulling for him.

You know as well as I do that won't happen. He was hired by Tanner. He will give him a 5th season, just like Chump was given. So get that out of your head.

Yeah that's our problem. The AD's tenure is riding on this hire so we will give it far longer than it should. That is not a good thing.

Interesting, isn't it? If someone doesn't offer an opinion, or is sufficiently vague with it, they can claim to be "right" no matter what happens.

Do we know anyone like that?

Precisely. She’s in a tough spot. The best she can hope for is that Beamer goes 6-6 next year. That alone is problematic because a coach in year 4 shouldn’t be hoping to be .500.

But I have a feeling she will come up with an absurd excuse when we go 5-7 next year like she did this year with the “we lost because Satterfield got run off”.

Reactions: Lurker123
Precisely. She’s in a tough spot. The best she can hope for is that Beamer goes 6-6 next year. That alone is problematic because a coach in year 4 shouldn’t be hoping to be .500.

But I have a feeling she will come up with an absurd excuse when we go 5-7 next year like she did this year with the “we lost because Satterfield got run off”.

LOL. Stupid taters. Nobody is in a "tough spot" other than the idiots that think Beamer needs to win 8 games next year. That is one of the toughest schedules in the nation. 6-6 absolutely would be a success. 8 wins would be a miracle.

And even if Beamer goes 5-7 next year, he still isn't going anywhere, so you can go ahead and cry it out. We are in the bottom third of the SEC in NIL and recruiting and have been a .500 program for our entire existence. Yet you seem to think that .500 in the fourth season of a coach is "problematic". Hilarious and delusional.

LOL. Stupid taters. Nobody is in a "tough spot" other than the idiots that think Beamer needs to win 8 games next year. That is one of the toughest schedules in the nation. 6-6 absolutely would be a success. 8 wins would be a miracle.

And even if Beamer goes 5-7 next year, he still isn't going anywhere, so you can go ahead and cry it out. We are in the bottom third of the SEC in NIL and recruiting and have been a .500 program for our entire existence. Yet you seem to think that .500 in the fourth season of a coach is "problematic". Hilarious and delusional.

So, vague, just like i said she would. (And the typical tater whine as well)

"6-6 is absolutely a success" but notice how she waffles on 5-7? She doesn't call it a success or lack of success, just that Beamer would be returning. (Irellevant to the discussion)

And this is a gem.

We are in the bottom third of the SEC in NIL and recruiting and have been a .500 program for our entire existence. Yet you seem to think that .500 in the fourth season of a coach is "problematic".

Remember, no one is asking for .500 in league play. With 3 ooc patsies and vandy, we're literally looking for 2-6 in meaningful games. And that remarkably low expectation is "hilarious and delusional". That speaks a lot to how low even the sunshine pumper expectations are.

Lying tater. Nobody said that "remarkably low expectation" of 6-6 is "hilarious and delusional". I said that anybody that thinks 6-6 is problematic is "hilarious and delusional".

Yet you seem to think that .500 in the fourth season of a coach is "problematic". Hilarious and delusional.

But you taters can keep crying. Won't make a damn bit of difference. Beamer ain't going nowhere anytime soon.

So, vague, just like i said she would. (And the typical tater whine as well)

"6-6 is absolutely a success" but notice how she waffles on 5-7? She doesn't call it a success or lack of success, just that Beamer would be returning. (Irellevant to the discussion)

And this is a gem.

We are in the bottom third of the SEC in NIL and recruiting and have been a .500 program for our entire existence. Yet you seem to think that .500 in the fourth season of a coach is "problematic".

Remember, no one is asking for .500 in league play. With 3 ooc patsies and vandy, we're literally looking for 2-6 in meaningful games. And that remarkably low expectation is "hilarious and delusional". That speaks a lot to how low even the sunshine pumper expectations are.

I really hope our fanbase is better than this. I’ll be halfway around the world next football season, but I just can’t imagine our fans really being excited next year if we go 5-7 or 6-6. I think the positivity will start cracking.

Lying tater. Nobody said that "remarkably low expectation" of 6-6 is "hilarious and delusional". I said that anybody that thinks 6-6 is problematic is "hilarious and delusional".

Yet you seem to think that .500 in the fourth season of a coach is "problematic". Hilarious and delusional.

But you taters can keep crying. Won't make a damn bit of difference. Beamer ain't going nowhere anytime soon.

Again, it's not unnoticed that you're dodging making a comment on 5-7. We all know you won't. It's just funny to keep pointing your shortcomings out.

Also, AGAIN, Beamer being here or not is irrelevant. I guess you don't know the meaning of that word they way you keep crying.

I know your confusion is intentional, and that you'd love to spend pages arguing semantics. I'll simply point out you started that deflection by misquoting Watson on purpose. (Something you call him a troll for)

I will just continue to laugh at how even your overly optimistic expectations have dropped like a rock. It's very telling.

I really hope our fanbase is better than this. I’ll be halfway around the world next football season, but I just can’t imagine our fans really being excited next year if we go 5-7 or 6-6. I think the positivity will start cracking.

I think the very small sample size of this and other message boards shows that this idiot is a far outlier of gamecock fans. Certainly on the fringe, as I know she's not alone.

I can see a little excitement a 6-6 next year. If you're the type of fan who's given up and just settled for chest thumping about what other teams in the conference do on the field, then 6-6 can be a cause for a little celebration.

But i fully expect to see her claim 5-7 is a success next year, if we finish with that record.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT